Neitz out for 8

LeBron James

One thing that shits me to tears is the abuse we hurl at each other on these forums. For [censored] sake we are here for the one thing... Each poster has there own opinion, allow it to be expressed if you don't like the opinion then rebut...

I'm not sure on this one. A hard nosed coach like Sir Alex Ferguson would say NO to a farewell match if the season was on the line, if it was not on the line then might say yes. Trying to recall if he gave one of his favorite sons (Becks) a farewell match or if it was a testimonial for someone else he played in.

Our season is over, he is going on the long term list.... why would you bring him back for one game, at the expense of the rookie you have elevated and will hopefully play a heap of games for us? It seems nonsensical.

Unfortunately his time looks to have passed, he has been our best and most prolific for a long time we can send him off but it doesn't have to be in a match.

I think it is fair to say that even at this early stage we are unlikely to make a run for the eight so what harm will a Neitz send off game do.

An even more important argument though is the issue of cultivating the right sort of culture and values for the footy club.

We should send off all our players with as much dignity and appreciation as possible. If we want Melbourne Football Club to be around for another 150 years we should be looking for every opportunity to enhance the pride, value and honour of wearing the red and blue.

Pause for a moment and consider how that may have helped just a little through the Chris Judd saga, if MFC, if nothing else, was known among all the clubs to be the best at revering their past players.

If we fail to send off one of the undisputed champions of the club, how far are we along the path to a truly great club with a fiercely proud and strong culture?

I think it is fair to say that even at this early stage we are unlikely to make a run for the eight so what harm will a Neitz send off game do.

An even more important argument though is the issue of cultivating the right sort of culture and values for the footy club.

We should send off all our players with as much dignity and appreciation as possible. If we want Melbourne Football Club to be around for another 150 years we should be looking for every opportunity to enhance the pride, value and honour of wearing the red and blue.

Pause for a moment and consider how that may have helped just a little through the Chris Judd saga, if MFC, if nothing else, was known among all the clubs to be the best at revering their past players.

If we fail to send off one of the undisputed champions of the club, how far are we along the path to a truly great club with a fiercely proud and strong culture?

But if it is at the expense of a younger player then it defeats the purpose. Good players will look at us and say why would I play for them (besides a huge pay day and one last game check) when they don't care about winning?

I recall seeing an article in on of the weekends papers from Crwaf saying how he would hate to be "holding back" a younger player. Holding back his development just so he can run around.

If there is a player who is better (massive if at MFC at the minute) then they play ahead of Neita. If there is no one in the club who can kick more than 1 goal in 5 rounds at FF then the rookie player bumped up should be dropped back down and Nieta should play as many games as he can hold his spot.

question, did gary lyon play a last game or not , or did he retire before having a final game i forget?

Can't recall if he got a send off but he played two games.. Rnds 10 and 11. I think he believed he could have played out the year but then he realised the back was wallaby teds brother... roo ted.

Oh for christ sake.. anyone who has read these lists long enough knows I give this guy no leniency...but if anyone deserves to go out in style..on his terms..let Neeta play a game his way as a final hurrah!!

Not only doesnt it matter re the season but he has given his all and heart for the club.

Even I without any hesitation offer him this respect.

http://news.realfooty.com.au/neitz-confirm...80421-27m8.html

Melbourne captain David Neitz confirmed he will retire at the end of this AFL season, but he is determined to play again.

The Demons will put Neitz on their long-term injury list, meaning he will be out for at least eight matches as he tries to overcome a persistent neck injury.

Neitz aggravated the injury early in the second term of Sunday's loss to Carlton and he was forced to sit out the rest of the game.

Speaking on Channel Nine's Footy Classified program, Neitz said he wanted to help the team develop towards the end of the season.

"I want to be seen hopefully, towards the end of the year, to be part of getting this team up and going and playing some good footy and I can leave it in a healthy place," he said.

There had been speculation this season would be Neitz's last and the recurrence of the injury helped make up his mind.

Neitz's injury is another major blow for Melbourne in a luckless 150th season for the club.

The decision to put Neitz on the long-term injury list means he will not return until round 14 at the earliest.

Earlier, the 33-year-old said in a club statement that he was determined to play again.

"It is frustrating, like any injury, but I need to give it as much time as possible, to get it right and give myself a chance to play at a level that I expect of myself," Neitz said.

"I plan to play again when I've recovered."

Neitz had managed only one kick when he was wrapped up in a tackle from Jarrad Waite.

The impact left him in obvious discomfort and Neitz left the field immediately, nursing his arm.

He had struggled with the problem during the off-season and in five rounds so far, the full-forward had only managed three goals.

"David has a problem with the right side of his neck which on Sunday produced referred nerve pain to his shoulder," said Demons football operation manager Ross Monaghan.

"The problem has given him trouble during the pre-season, had improved over time, but had a severe set-back on Sunday."

The Demons are the only team without a win after five rounds.

Neitz became the first Melbourne player to reach 300 senior games last year, but a knee injury restricted him to only 15 games and 26 goals.

Overall he has played 306 matches and kicked 631 goals, also a club record.

Neitz is in his ninth season as captain, another Melbourne record.

While this is a milestone year for the club, it has also been extremely tough so far for the Demons.

They remain in a difficult financial position and they appear headed for their first wooden spoon since 1997.

Neitz and coach Dean Bailey will hold a media conference on Tuesday afternoon at Melbourne's Junction Oval headquarters.