Melbourne v Bulldogs Game Thread

Sydney Pennski

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Vic based clubs still train in Victoria and spies still attend. Ask David Dunbar.

Playing low key fits with fact that we have a new coach, new game plan, 25% of the list is new and many likely best 22 players are still to return from injury. The preference to travel to Cairns is indeed a strange one that does not fit.

I dont know what you have to hide when you have a bunch of rookies, first years, fringe dwellers and underdone senior players who seemingly cant at this point put together any constructive football. I think Bailey clearly knows he has the wheelbarrow in front of him at MFC and would realise that it was highly unlikely there would be any outperformance risk from the "under 16s".

If an opposition club (clubs) wanted to, they would have spies in penguin suits on Antarctica if you were playing there.

I'm with Rhino on this one. Do people really believe that 'cloak of darkness' training sessions by our senior players is a better preparation for round 1, than full scaled practice matches against AFL opposition? What will your excuse be if we lose round 1 against a depleted Hawthorn?

Then why the closed training sessions?

To allow clubs to pursue the often futile practice of maintain secrecy.

But back to my original point...I dont see why seeking to go interstate with a bunch of rookies is providing anything to Club beyond frequent flyer points.

I'm with Rhino on this one. Do people really believe that 'cloak of darkness' training sessions by our senior players is a better preparation for round 1, than full scaled practice matches against AFL opposition? What will your excuse be if we lose round 1 against a depleted Hawthorn?

I never said we would win - simply stating how I see the smokescreen (hope we do and think have a good chance)

Whether that enables us to win or not, comes down to how effective their strategy is - At no stage, have I claimed that it ensures success...but that's how they are going about business.

I do think it is a good way to go about it though.

To allow clubs to pursue the often futile practice of maintain secrecy.

But back to my original point...I dont see why seeking to go interstate with a bunch of rookies is providing anything to Club beyond frequent flyer points.

It's not, and that is my point

Don't forget pool parties at a five star Cairns Resort - that would be good enough for a bunch of rookies.

I can't imagine in a season where we are trying to generate as much positive hype as possible for the club, we would choose to play away from our majority demographic.

In our 150th year, the only noteworthy publicity we have received has been the sacking of our CEO, and the off-field antics of some of our misbehaved players

Exactly what i was thinking, it's great they're giving other areas a chance to see some AFL but given that we've been to Geelong and Carins isn't it about time we got to see our team live!?

Melbourne gets to see ~16 weeks during the season, and Geelong/Bendigo aren't that far if you're keen.

Plenty of people travel for an hour or more to see H&A games.

I for one think it's good to see teams go to regional areas in the Nab Challenge, although I live in the Melb metro area.

My theory, as I have stated in another thread, is that the Dee's are playing it as low key as they possibly can, and playing outside of Melbourne away from the Cameras and spies, certainly fits with that.

I was at the Melb v Geelong game, and there were two guys there watching the game very closely and taking notes / recording some thoughts on the game. Maybe they were just really keen though ;)

Regardless, the games are open to the public. Hardly secret :P

Earlier in the week I heard mention of Bartram possibly getting a game this week but unfortunately he's not named in the 29 man squad. Good to see Buckley back in again and McLean and Neitz getting a run.

Be great if Carroll could do a Steve Johnson type turnaround and have a blinder of a season after his team-imposed suspension.

Melbourne Squad

Simon Buckley

Nathan Jones

Ben Holland

Brock McLean

Matthew Bate

Brad Miller

James Frawley

David Neitz

Cale Morton

Paul Johnson

Colin Sylvia

Adem Yze

Ricky Petterd

Addam Maric

Colin Garland

Daniel Bell

Brent Moloney

Russell Robertson

Kyle Cheney

John Meesen

Isaac Weetra

Tom McNamara

Jeff White

Aaron Davey

Matthew Warnock

Mark Jamar

Nathan Carroll

Jace Bode

Shane Valenti

I reckon Rivers will be good to go next week, i think they are just being extra careful as they know how important he is to our structure.

This wont be broadcast on radio or anything will it?

Guest MFC4Life
This wont be broadcast on radio or anything will it?

I doubt it as Cairns wasn't. Its staggering that the AFL does nothing in this respect, not even having someone there with a wireless and feeding scores through to melbournefc.com.au, despite the fact that the NAB Challenge is a supposed competition.

haha yeah i agree its not really a competition but i know im not the only one who would listen in to see how the boys are going in a game in the pre-season especially with only 2 weeks till the real stuff begins

Guest MFC4Life

Yeah I do enjoy going to praccy games when in Melbourne (Isn't that the name of our football club?) Cranbourne is for more reasonable for a city slicker so i'm looking forward to the following Saturday.

P.S. Do you think they'll serve beer at Casey Fields?

Guest MFC4Life
Bulldogs backline will be very undermaned this week. Neitz and Robertson to slot a few each.

Agreed. Harris nee Lake is such an important player for them. I remember a few games where he didn't play and they looked lost without him.

Agreed. Harris nee Lake is such an important player for them. I remember a few games where he didn't play and they looked lost without him.

Bell to play on Welsh and continue his nightmare from last year.

There is also talk of Aker playing as a back pocket/tagger this year. Good watching if he gets Davey.

Still no Dunn or Wheatley.

Also I hope Bruce returns the following week, and has a final hit-out for Sandringham during the week off. Despite the crap he receives on here and by opposition fans, he's still in our top 5 best players.

And can we all just forget about Whelan. It will be a bonus if he plays a couple of games later in the year. My tip is Whelan to the long-term injury list and Valenti promoted.

I get the feeliing it might be awhile before we see wheels play which is unfortunate. Warnock should enjoy these practice games as based on pre-season and last years performances he would be unlikely to pull on the red and blue once the real stuff begins, hope he proves me wrong but i'd much rather have Valenti, Aussie or maybe even Zomer on the senior list ahead of Warnock if only you could demote a player based on performances... A little harsh? perhaps?

Guest MFC4Life
I get the feeliing it might be awhile before we see wheels play which is unfortunate. Warnock should enjoy these practice games as based on pre-season and last years performances he would be unlikely to pull on the red and blue once the real stuff begins, hope he proves me wrong but i'd much rather have Valenti, Aussie or maybe even Zomer on the senior list ahead of Warnock if only you could demote a player based on performances... A little harsh? perhaps?

Not at all. I don't think Warnock's up to it. They have to promote Valenti.

Just on Whelan and I am a huge fan, but if he was to take another year, one has to ask why we are keeping hold of him. It seems forever since he strung some games together, 2 years ?

I hate to think of all the players still carrying bad injuries. If Whelan was on the long term injury list, I would be very very dissapointed we could not see that coming.

He seems the mystery man of the MFC.

Just on Whelan and I am a huge fan, but if he was to take another year, one has to ask why we are keeping hold of him. It seems forever since he strung some games together, 2 years ?

I hate to think of all the players still carrying bad injuries. If Whelan was on the long term injury list, I would be very very dissapointed we could not see that coming.

He seems the mystery man of the MFC.

can anybody give a list of ins and outs from last week, and also a list of players still not playing bc of injury.

from my count on what i am led to believe:

Rivers- training with the main group at 100% but will be eased into match praccy

Bartram- training with the main group but will be eased into match praccy

Newton- sore neck is fine

Bruce- within a week or two of 100% fitness. medial ligament a while ago so should be fine for round1

Dunn???- surely not too far away?

Wheatley???

Whelan???

So if my guesses are correct, we are only down a couple of players which is pretty good seeing as both players are extreme fringe due to inconsistency (Wheatley) or constant injury (Whelan)

Agree Valenti has shown already that he knows how to find the footy is built for the rigours of AFL and looks like a goer Simon Godfrey like but with a touch of class.

Finds the pill well doesn't he?

Like Godfrey only a better kick (without being prodigious) and gets far more touches.

I'm a huge fan of his from watching Sandy where he was a league leader in so many ways... In the footballer/athlete debate he personifies the reason people go for the former.