2023 Player Reviews: #21 Matt Jefferson

Demonland

On 29/12/2023 at 14:49, stinga said:

He easily has the most upside potential of any of our forwards not only because as everyone says he needs to bulk up and is obviously doing so, but his height, telescopic arms and soft hands marking the ball like fritsch impress me most.

stinga - do you seriously rate him over JVR?  Hope you are right but that is a huge call.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 22/12/2023 at 07:30, Pipefitter said:

I don’t think many first year players are flying at the end of their first season. 

Let’s hope he has a huge pre season and sees the year out better in 24. You’d hope he’d be in selection talks by 2nd half of season. 

Really think people over exaggerate where a first year player should be at. The season was quite long. My gripe is that Casey is not the best development ground ATM. TMac, Schace list clogger and Brown, down there probably has been a negative in that regards.

• Like 2

On 30/12/2023 at 21:20, monoccular said:

stinga - do you seriously rate him over JVR?  Hope you are right but that is a huge call.

No just that he has more upside from where he was last year.   JVR still has a lot of upside to come but it will be incremental

Let the boy grow into the man's body then make your assumptions.

He's shown enough and produced on occasions to indicate their is enough potential to work with.

If he's willing to work on his deficiencies, listen to coaches and has a good work ethic he will make it.

• Like 2

I really think our list management thought they'd get another year (2023) out of Brown or TMac, with 2024 being their transition year and Jefferson maybe playing a few games but coming on in 2025 as a replacement.

From a list longevity perspective, I'm kind of happy we didn't sell the farm for a 29 year old KPF this year, and instead recruited Tholstrup who we hope will develop into an A Grader (dangerous impact player). But that strategy does require Jefferson and JVR to come on as expected over the next 2 years.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

He might do a McVee and surprise us all?

I think eventually he will become a taller version of Fritsch or a shorter King, rather than a solid Brown or McDonald

Edited by durango