Jump to content

  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

    Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

    We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

    However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

    The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

    Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

    We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

    WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

    Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.


AFLW: Rd 09 vs Fremantle



Recommended Posts

Here we go, round 9!

Saturday 1.05PM at Casey Fields

(likely our last game at Casey this season).


Fremantle's Casey win-loss record: 1-2
Melbourne's win-loss record against Fremantle: 5-2 (Melbourne last played Fremantle, in R6 2022B, a 30-point win)
Fremantle's 2023 formline: Fremantle's 4 wins have come against teams 10th and below, with 4 losses to teams 8th and above.

Both teams have played West Coast (Melb +70; Freo +8), Collingwood (Melb +42; Freo -21), Hawthorn (Melb +59; Freo +13), North (Melb +23; Freo -45) and Geelong (Melb +49; Freo -24). Fremantle are coming off a 24-point win against 10th-placed St Kilda. A player of theirs to watch for is Aine Tighe, a super athletic genuine matchwinner.

image.png.2a2d285799273636415e236d3deff735.png

 

An article on Paxy and her name change (which is a name change only, not pronouns, as it turns out).

Plus the infamous dog incident, which could have been much worse:

https://www.afl.com.au/aflw/news/1057131/why-dees-star-changed-her-name-and-that-dog-related-incident

Lily's podcast with new Demon Saraid Taylor:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVjIrZ20TKI

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Also, if selected (!), it will be Shelley Heath's 50th game. We really went a week early with out appreciation of her in the last matchday thread but why not go again! In checking that this was indeed 50 games for Heater, I came across an article describing her drafting at pick 44 in 2018 as a shock. It seems that Melbourne was the only club that showed interest (she'd only been playing footy since age 15). Wasn't even watching the draft when her name was called!

From the beginning we've lauded her tackling ability - hard but typically fair and controlled, in a way that is increasingly valuable. She's also probably the most noted tagger of the league to this point, with some seriously big-name scalps. The addition of more attacking attributes has now sent her to another level, still aged just 23.

  • Like 10
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

"That's basically how it unfolded – as simple as filling out a form."

Paxy actually has also updated her pronouns to 'Champion'. If you don't call her that in formal addresses, you get stacked-and-whacked.

As for Shelley Health, she causes her own controversy because biologically she is 'the adorable cousin/niece', but in football she identifies as 'the person who is about to ruin your day'.

  • Like 3
  • Haha 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Dees_In_October said:

Also, if selected (!), it will be Shelley Heath's 50th game. We really went a week early with out appreciation of her in the last matchday thread but why not go again! In checking that this was indeed 50 games for Heater, I came across an article describing her drafting at pick 44 in 2018 as a shock. It seems that Melbourne was the only club that showed interest (she'd only been playing footy since age 15). Wasn't even watching the draft when her name was called!

From the beginning we've lauded her tackling ability - hard but typically fair and controlled, in a way that is increasingly valuable. She's also probably the most noted tagger of the league to this point, with some seriously big-name scalps. The addition of more attacking attributes has now sent her to another level, still aged just 23.

I’m on my way to banner-making right now. It’s usually on Thursdays but some of the girls are coming to help us make it and they have training on Thursdays so it’s tonight for this week. Will be funny if Heater turns up to make her own milestone banner. 🤭

PS the Club didn’t organise this. The girls requested it because… well, the girls. 🥰

  • Like 5
  • Love 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Timothy Reddan-A'Blew said:

Another Aine in the oppo, @WalkingCivilWar!

Get 'em to the Dees, I say!

We Áines are everywhere! It’s only a matter of time before we land one at the Dees. ❤️💙

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Clap 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Fremantle 'player to watch' in the MFC site preview is Mim Strom

We had a kid called Campbell at school. Nickname, 'Soups'.

Mim would be close to candidacy for the same...

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


12 of the girls attended banner tonight and we had THE. MOST. FUN. EVER. So much laughter and mucking around but I tell ya what… when it came to the actual cutting out of the letters and the taping etc. they were machines. They don’t do half measures, absolute perfectionists. Jordy at one point cut part of a letter about two millimetres outside the line. She was really annoyed with herself. I said “It’s all good. You see it because you’re looking at it up close. On the day, no one will know.” She said, “But I’ll know!” I reckon that pretty much sums up the standards they set for themselves.

The girls, having completed Heater’s milestone banner…

82983DBD-C065-40C1-9137-191C6D7462E3.thumb.jpeg.acc7a8af3dcf4e26dd41a7f242c930b4.jpeg


Tayla is so bloody fierce on the field but off-field she’s super sweet and gentle and softly-spoken. And quite cheeky…

Tay’s tape shenanigans

One would think they make banners every week…

Banner-making with the Dees

Banno making use of her long limbs…

Banno

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 8
  • Clap 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I asked Jordan about her injury and the progress. She said just as the plantar fascia had healed another (way less serious) foot issue arose. She’s confident she’ll be available by the time finals start.

🤞🏼

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Dees_In_October said:

Here we go, round 9!

Saturday 1.05PM at Casey Fields

(likely our last game at Casey this season).


Fremantle's Casey win-loss record: 1-2
Melbourne's win-loss record against Fremantle: 5-2 (Melbourne last played Fremantle, in R6 2022B, a 30-point win)
Fremantle's 2023 formline: Fremantle's 4 wins have come against teams 10th and below, with 4 losses to teams 8th and above.

Both teams have played West Coast (Melb +70; Freo +8), Collingwood (Melb +42; Freo -21), Hawthorn (Melb +59; Freo +13), North (Melb +23; Freo -45) and Geelong (Melb +49; Freo -24). Fremantle are coming off a 24-point win against 10th-placed St Kilda. A player of theirs to watch for is Aine Tighe, a super athletic genuine matchwinner.

 

image.png.2a2d285799273636415e236d3deff735.png

 

An article on Paxy and her name change (which is a name change only, not pronouns, as it turns out).

Plus the infamous dog incident, which could have been much worse:

https://www.afl.com.au/aflw/news/1057131/why-dees-star-changed-her-name-and-that-dog-related-incident

Lily's podcast with new Demon Saraid Taylor:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVjIrZ20TKI

Last night half the team were at banner making.  Both Gabby Colvin and Tayla Harris told me they're not playing.  Gabby mentioned she's close with her archilles but it's just been frustrating.  Tayla is being patient, doesn't want to risk her form for finals, and was pretty upbeat, she's close.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 5
  • Love 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

12 of the girls attended banner tonight and we had THE. MOST. FUN. EVER. So much laughter and mucking around but I tell ya what… when it came to the actual cutting out of the letters and the taping etc. they were machines. They don’t do half measures, absolute perfectionists. Jordy at one point cut part of a letter about two millimetres outside the line. She was really annoyed with herself. I said “It’s all good. You see it because you’re looking at it up close. On the day, no one will know.” She said, “But I’ll know!” I reckon that pretty much sums up the standards they set for themselves.

The girls, having completed Heater’s milestone banner…

82983DBD-C065-40C1-9137-191C6D7462E3.thumb.jpeg.acc7a8af3dcf4e26dd41a7f242c930b4.jpeg


Tayla is so bloody fierce on the field but off-field she’s super sweet and gentle and softly-spoken. And quite cheeky…

Tay’s tape shenanigans

One would think they make banners every week…

Banner-making with the Dees

Banno making use of her long limbs…

Banno

I want to joke that Tahlia is actually wearing long pants, but with her long legs, they come across as shorts :)

  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 25/10/2023 at 16:31, WalkingCivilWar said:

I’m on my way to banner-making right now. It’s usually on Thursdays but some of the girls are coming to help us make it and they have training on Thursdays so it’s tonight for this week. Will be funny if Heater turns up to make her own milestone banner. 🤭

PS the Club didn’t organise this. The girls requested it because… well, the girls. 🥰

Every week I find something new to be impressed and deelighted by this team.

What a wonderful team.

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Clap 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


18 hours ago, BDA said:

aine tighe out for Freo. makes things easier for us. big loss for freo

I totally jinxed her by naming her a player to watch! Will make things easier but I kinda wanted to see Gillard go against her.

17 hours ago, binman said:

Shelleyyyy Heathyyyy!

@Dees_In_October - the club has lent into adding the y to Heath rather than going with Heater. 

Controversy in the nickname space!

 

I reckon Heathy off the field, Heater on the field, seems apt for her on- vs. off-field vibe haha.

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Dees_In_October said:

Gall's a defender I think? Exciting to have a debut but I don't like mystery outs!

She is a defender. 183cm. It’ll be interesting to see who she’s replacing. Excited for her! 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Demonland Forums  

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    PREGAME: Practice Match vs Carlton

    The Dees will play their final practice match before the start of the 2024 seasons against the Blues at Ikon Park. What are you wanting to see in this final hit out before the season proper? Will Clarry & Salo return to the side? 2024 AAMI Community Series | Carlton v Melbourne Date: Wednesday 28 February Time: 6:40pm (AEDT) Location: IKON Park | Wurundjeri

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 44

    POSTGAME: Match SIM vs Richmond

    The Dees were outclassed and outmuscled in its first practice hit out for the 2024 season against the Tigers going down by 23 points at Casey Fields. 

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 284

    GAMEDAY: Match SIM vs Richmond

    It's Game Day and it's been 156 days since the Demons were bundled out of the finals in straight sets for the 2nd year in a row. Our redemption starts here. Remember it's only a practice match if we lose. Date: Sunday 18th Feb Location: Casey Fields Gate open: 9.30am Match commences: 10am Watch: Foxtel & Kayo Inclusions: Seven-quarter match simulation Signing opportunities Kids' activities Partner giveaways Demons Squad: 1. Steven May 2. Jacob Van Rooyen

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 402

    TRAINING: Saturday 17th February 2024

    On the eve of the Dees first practice match for the 2024 season a couple of Demonland Trackwatchers bring you their observations from today’s Captain’s Run at Gosch’s Paddock.  KEV MARTIN’S CAPTAIN’S RUN OBSERVATIONS Looks a a dress rehearsal Captain's run. 23 out doing drills.  Included is Will Verall, Kynan Brown, Bailey Laurie, Caleb Windsor, Blake Howes, Adam Tomlinson, Kade Chandler, Jack Billings and Josh Schache. Rehab include BBB, Tom Fullarton, TMac, AMW, Woey.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Training Reports

    PREGAME: Match SIM vs Richmond

    The Demons will take to the field in their first hit out for 2024 against another team when they take on the Tigers at Casey Fields in a Scratch Match consisting of 7 "quarters". Melbourne vs Richmond Date: Sunday 18th Feb Location: Casey Fields Gate open: 9.30am Match commences: 10am Watch: Foxtel & Kayo Inclusions: Seven-quarter match simulation Signing opportunities Kids' activities Partner giveaways What are your expectations? What do you want to see from

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 130

    TRAINING: Monday 12th February 2024

    Clayton Oliver was integrated back into the main training group today for the first time in 2024 after completing a 2km time trial. FriendlyFellow, a new Demonland Trackwatcher hit Gosch's Paddock on a hot and windy morning to bring you his observations of the session. Disclaimer: Saw on the socials they were down at Gosch’s Paddock so headed down for a quick look. Little to no presence of other track watchers and no current live thread, so as a first time contributor, giving what the peopl

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Training Reports 6

    TRAINING: Wednesday 7th February 2024

    A bunch of Demonland Trackwatchers enjoyed the sunshine at Gosch's Paddock to watch a rapidly depleted Dees go through their paces with exactly a month to go until a ball is bounced in anger. DEMONLAND'S PRESEASON TRAINING OBSERVATIONS REHAB: Brown, Hunter, AMW, Fullarton, Turner, Clarry, TMac, Melksham, McAdam ABSENT: Smith All players in Blue guernseys today. Clarry is in the building (Gosch’s Paddock). Petty is present with footy boots on.  Clarry doing dril

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Training Reports 1

    THAT WAS THE YEAR THAT WAS: 2023

    When the dust settled on 2023, the Melbourne Football Club coach Simon Goodwin lamented that the club knew it needed to score more to land a second premiership in the current era. He opined that an average of one more goal per game would have had his charges in football’s stratosphere.  Goodwin was right and, based on his team’s scoring opportunities, that extra goal (and more) was well within its grasp if only they had better converted their shots at goal. Take the side’s last six defeats

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 7

    TRAINING: Friday 2nd February 2024

    Veteran Demonland Trackwatcher Picket Fence made his way down to Casey Fields on Friday to bring you his observations from Preseason Training and the Match SIM. PICKET FENCE'S PRESEASON TRAINING OBSERVATIONS NO SHOWS & REHAB  Petty, Melks, Hunter, Fullarton, Jefferson. Not sure I saw Salem Clarry and Verrell both doing a POWER OF RUNNING and [censored] does CLARRY look mean, fit and PUMPED MATCH SIMULATION NOTES Full match simulation of 4 quarters of which I saw

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Training Reports
  • Tell a friend

    Love Demonland? Tell a friend!

×
×
  • Create New...