Five most improved players

Deespicable

15 hours ago, layzie said:

Hard to pick 5, I don't think here have been that many mainly because the benchmark is high already with most players and maybe some haven't quite come on how we want yet.

1. Rivers

2. McVee

3. Chandler

4. JVR

Leaving it at 4. 

Easier to pick the underperformers

Agree with the above

• Like 1

Rivers has genuine A grade potential...but I think it's mainly through the midfield where he can fully utilise his physical traits. His short kicking in defence still scares the life out of me. 

McVee the biggest surprise. Poise, speed, class. Is there a world where he plays in the midfield? He's got everything we're missing.

Chandler an excellent 6-8 weeks before going MIA.

JVR, as advertised.

Edited by adonski
  • Like 2

Imteresting thread in the sense that any number of our good & best players were previously playing to their max or close enough to their max

For instance, back in 2021 we had 5 All-Australians with Langdon, Viney, Salem being unlucky to not receive that honour along with 9 or 10 others who all had decent year's

So last season a number of players dropped off a bit and have levelled off.  Injuries have played a part too

McVee, JVR & Rivers are the standout improvers but what is required is for all our good players to get back to their best

Hunter & Grundy have added to the team as well so it's hard to quantify improvement with those 2

I reckon what stands out is no matter how good the list is you have to keep adding talent to improve the team against dropping away

In other words, the window of opportunity can be extended if talent is added.  Relying on our best players continuing to play at their best (all at the same time) doesn't always or often work

Edited by Macca
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, Macca said:

Imteresting thread in the sense that any number of our good & best players were previously playing to their max or close enough to their max

For instance, back in 2021 we had 5 All-Australians with Langdon, Viney, Salem being unlucky to not receive that honour along with 9 or 10 others who all had decent year's

So last season a number of players dropped off a bit and have levelled off.  Injuries have played a part too

McVee, JVR & Rivers are the standout improvers but what is required is for all our good players to get back to their best

Hunter & Grundy have added to the team as well so it's hard to quantify improvement with those 2

I reckon what stands out is no matter how good the list is you have to keep adding talent to improve the team against dropping away

In other words, the window of opportunity can be extended if talent is added.  Relying on our best players continuing to play at their best (all at the same time) doesn't always or often work

Don't forget the worst one, Fritta. I can't fathom how he hasn't been selected in the last couple of seasons.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ElDiablo14 said:

Don't forget the worst one, Fritta. I can't fathom how he hasn't been selected in the last couple of seasons.

The All-Australian is based on the season proper so if the finals (especially the GF) were counted, Fritsch may well have received a guernsey

As it stands, he was another player who had a very good season ... and to a large degree he has carried on with that good form

I can't help but think how good he would be (as the 3rd forward) with 2 standout key forwards in the team ... and that could happen with JVR getting better and with the (hopefully) acquisition of a quality KPF in the off season

Brown & T-Mac are near the end and anyone else (apart from JVR) being less than very good/excellent

Also Gawn up forward hasn't really worked but we've seen him play some terrific games up forward.  I reckon Max just needs to get on the move ... if he does that, he'll get plenty of the ball (being such a big target)

And with all the long bombs you'd reckon our front & square crumbers would standout.  That's not happening

There's lots of room for improvement right now (up forward)

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, ElDiablo14 said:

same reason robbo never was

the media cognoscenti simply doesn't rate 'medium' sized forwards unless they're 'big' names like a toby greene who is an out and out star, but gimme robbo's best seasons over his any day of the week

• Like 1

Kozzy is universally picked on by Umpires. If he gets two in first qtr or half they tighten up on him no end.

He endures non free kicks paid like no other player we have ever had. He still goes about his job.

And by the way how many times this year have we hit the front in games and for one reason only, a mercurial Free Kick is paid and they are back in it... it does make me sick, and it should make all fair umpires sick as well.