Another game at the 'G?

28 minutes ago, Bombay Airconditioning said:

2k to fly there from anywhere in Australia is madness.

Yep. Means we’ll get less support at the ground, when as a supporter base we’ve shown up very well this season at the G. 2 of the top 7 most attended games of the season, and 3 of the top 20.

We also have no games in the top 15 least attended games of the year. That will change with the Alice game. Will probably get about 6,000 again, giving us the second lowest attended game of the season.

There’d be 30,000 at the G.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The heart beats true said:

There’d be 30,000 at the G.

That is barely break even. We get a Million to sell the game to NT. Luckily conditions in the Alice are benign.

Have a thought for the Bulldogs who were the away team to GCS in Darwin a few weeks back. No money and horrible conditions. They lost the game and also lost the next game back in Melbourne

• Like 1

Hopefully this is our last game in the NT . Surely we dont need the cash anymore.  Id be very surprised if MFC is the big club up there. Collingwood and Essendon would attract a larger crowd even though they never play there.

Whats our win/ loss stat for first game back from the NT?

We get a short break on return to play Stkilda.  Sometimes we make life hard for ourselves .

Pies would only consider playing in AS P if they got a huge break before their return game in Melb. They got 10 days after playing at the Gabba this year!!

On 6/16/2023 at 10:44 AM, FearTheBeard said:

Ye flights are well over 2K to the Alice and it just doesnt work with my job because id have to fly home on the Monday.

I got return flights for $700 in December when the fixture came out.  I did have to book Friday in and Monday out to make sure I covered all the possible game times because the match was part of the floating fixture.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, old55 said:

The Saints warrant a "blockbuster" fixture but who is their natural opponent?

Maybe Collingwood - GFs against.

Rivalry round, probably the best I can come up with is:

Saints v Pies

North v Essendon 

Demons v Dogs

Blues v Tigers*

Cats v Hawks*

*Two of them are blockbuster fixtures already.

I'd be keen to see other combos ...

Some history with the Eagles.

2 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I'm pretty sure this is how things worked in the early days of the comp. Yes the pool was far smaller but the concept was the same. You'd have the likes of Collingwood, West Coast and Adelaide crying could about that now though.

The likes of Collingwood not being happy? Beginning to sound like a good idea to me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Deebauched said:

Hopefully this is our last game in the NT . Surely we dont need the cash anymore.  Id be very surprised if MFC is the big club up there. Collingwood and Essendon would attract a larger crowd even though they never play there.

Whats our win/ loss stat for first game back from the NT?

We get a short break on return to play Stkilda.  Sometimes we make life hard for ourselves .

Pies would only consider playing in AS P if they got a huge break before their return game in Melb. They got 10 days after playing at the Gabba this year!!

We don't just play there for the money and I hope we continue to build the game. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Roost it far said:

We don't just play there for the money and I hope we continue to build the game. 

Years ago when we were playing in both Darwin and NT I was at the MCG. There was a group of youngsters (around 15-16) from the NT down in Melbourne for a football carnival sitting near me. I asked them if the games by the MFC had seen anymore support for MFC in the NT. They looked at me as if I was from Mars. They all barracked for the usual Melbourne mega clubs.

The sale of these games is about Event sale... same way as you sell an undertakers' convention.

It's only about money.

• Clap 1

1 hour ago, Diamond_Jim said:

Years ago when we were [censored] and playing in both Darwin and NT I was at the MCG. There was a group of youngsters (around 15-16) from the NT down in Melbourne for a football carnival sitting near me. I asked them if the games by the MFC had seen anymore support for MFC in the NT. They looked at me as if I was from Mars. They all barracked for the usual Melbourne mega clubs.

The sale of these games is about Event sale... same way as you sell an undertakers' convention.

It's only about money.

Fixed it for you

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Diamond_Jim said:

At the time everyone was saying that playing in the NT was worth X members. The funny thing is that it was because the NT Gov't part paid by buying memberships thus artificially inflating our figures

Facts.

It’s only about money. The club can dress it up all they want, but the minute there’s more money to be made at that G we will be out of there.

• Like 1

Side note: should the Demons be considered (promoted) as a "big four" club? The demons, like the Magpies, feature in two blockbuster matches each year; the tigers do as well if you consider the opening game a blockbuster! That leaves the Blues and Bombers with one blockbuster (though they are trying to establish a match between each other, as another).

We should also being looking to setup another blockbuster match with Geelong, where the two teams open Heritage round; and do a pre-match build up on tradition, heritage and legends!!!!

Oh and the AFL should also look at a Sydney/Brisbane rivalry for during rugby league's state of origin; riding on their coattails!

Edited by Ungarieboy
  • Like 1