AFL Daily Chat

Vipercrunch

Somewhere to chat about any MelbourneFC related content that come's up on the AFL Daily podcast. Not everyone's cup of tea but I usually find myself having a listen if I'm out and about in the car during the day.  You can listen to it straight from the AFL website or on one of many streaming services such as Spotify.

From todays episode (27/02/2023) about 14:10 to 17:30, some discussion about how we went with the scratch match against the Saints.  Very postive about Lachie Hunter, then if Damian Barrett is to be believed, some bullishness from contacts at other clubs about Melbourne's chances this year and then Nat Edwards is a bit lukewarm about the first glimpses of the Grundy and Gawn partnership.  Nothing super new or controversial, but Lachie Hunter's first outing caught certainly caught the eye of many outside of the die-hard supporters who watched the practice game.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Vipercrunch said:

Somewhere to chat about any MelbourneFC related content that come's up on the AFL Daily podcast. Not everyone's cup of tea but I usually find myself having a listen if I'm out and about in the car during the day.  You can listen to it straight from the AFL website or on one of many streaming services such as Spotify.

From todays episode (27/02/2023) about 14:10 to 17:30, some discussion about how we went with the scratch match against the Saints.  Very postive about Lachie Hunter, then if Damian Barrett is to be believed, some bullishness from contacts at other clubs about Melbourne's chances this year and then Nat Edwards is a bit lukewarm about the first glimpses of the Grundy and Gawn partnership.  Nothing super new or controversial, but Lachie Hunter's first outing caught certainly caught the eye of many outside of the die-hard supporters who watched the practice game.

Happy for you to keep us posted, Viper! Take this - 🥈 - to apply in advance to all future postings 🙂

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Lachie Hunter certainly caught my eye.

He was BOG in my opinion. 

Sounding promising! So is there a cliff, still, for him to fall off? - could someone remind me/us, unembellished, what his issues were?

• Like 1

I'd be disappointed if we weren't bullish about our chances this year.

We should be aiming to win the flag. We are in the midst of our premiership window. If we don't capitalise and win at least one more flag in the next 1-3 years, it should be considered a failure.

We have an incredibly strong list, and only catastrophic injuries should prevent us from finishing top 4 and giving ourselves the best chance possible to win it again.

• Like 9

More chat about Lachie Hunter today (28/02/2023) at 11:10 to 13:50.  According to Josh Gabelich, Hunter had lost the trust of the Bulldogs playing group and there was some reluctance from the Melbourne "senior leaders" (not sure if that means players, coaches or admin) to get him to the club.  

The first half of the podcast was about the ticking time bomb Alastair Clarkson and whether Todd Viney will be able to keep him in check.  It's going to be an interesting watch this year #getyourpopcorn.

https://www.afl.com.au/podcasts/afl-daily

https://open.spotify.com/show/3towZDryHPGHbgF2viXRwi

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Vipercrunch said:

More chat about Lachie Hunter today (28/02/2023) at 11:10 to 13:50.  According to Josh Gabelich, Hunter had lost the trust of the Bulldogs playing group and there was some reluctance from the Melbourne "senior leaders" (not sure if that means players, coaches or admin) to get him to the club.  

The first half of the podcast was about the ticking time bomb Alastair Clarkson and whether Todd Viney will be able to keep him in check.  It's going to be an interesting watch this year #getyourpopcorn.

https://www.afl.com.au/podcasts/afl-daily

https://open.spotify.com/show/3towZDryHPGHbgF2viXRwi

It does make me feel good that our two high profile recruits have a massive point to prove. A good chip on the shoulder doesn't hurt

• Like 7

45 minutes ago, Demon Disciple said:

The ego on Clarko is probably too big for a club like North to handle. Heck it's probably too big for most clubs.

He changed the way the game is played and deserves credit for that. That makes him a great coach. But he also fully lucked out with the draft...call it what you will but luck plays a part. When you pick up Buddy and Roughhead in the same draft as well as the many other players they  did at that time well... they hit a rare gold mine. Then they were at the top when the new teams were coming in and the drafts were so compromised and competition polarised for a while ( Hawks stuck at the top with us at the bottom) . So was he a very good/ great coach yes . But he lucked out also, and his achievements will be, in my opinion, squared out a little by his failures after he retires. So I expect/ hope  his ego will be tempered by the time he exits! 

• Like 4

19 hours ago, Vipercrunch said:

... and then Nat Edwards is a bit lukewarm about the first glimpses of the Grundy and Gawn partnership.  

Looking forward to perennially sunny Nat's take on her Hawks as the year progresses.

• Like 4

Hunter is too good a player for the Dogs to give up for basically nothing, unless there was more going on behind the scenes.

We would be kidding ourselves if we didn't think there is an element of risk involved with him, but given the relatively low price, the reward could be extremely high.

Like Stangle, a new environment and a kick up the behind might be just what Hunter needed.

I think our leadership both on and off the field is much stronger than the Dogs, and I also think Goodwin would be a better mentor for someone going through it than Bevo.

If he can keep himself focused and out of trouble, he would be a better acquisition for us than Grundy IMO. Like Langdon, he will completely change how we play and make us that much harder to shut down. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Wells 11 said:

He changed the way the game is played and deserves credit for that. That makes him a great coach. But he also fully lucked out with the draft...call it what you will but luck plays a part. When you pick up Buddy and Roughhead in the same draft as well as the many other players they  did at that time well... they hit a rare gold mine. Then they were at the top when the new teams were coming in and the drafts were so compromised and competition polarised for a while ( Hawks stuck at the top with us at the bottom) . So was he a very good/ great coach yes . But he lucked out also, and his achievements will be, in my opinion, squared out a little by his failures after he retires. So I expect/ hope  his ego will be tempered by the time he exits! 

I think the Roughead/Franklin recruitments were more than just luck. Yes, Hawthorn was lucky that both players happened to be available that year, but I recall some story about how Hawthorn played their draft hand in a way that encouraged Richmond to pick Deledio and Tambling with their first two choices and not one of either Roughead or Franklin. In addition, as we know, it's not just good selections that matter; it also needs a good development program to be in place. And a good gameplan helps, too.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Vipercrunch said:

I enjoy her frequent reminders about how many day's its been since Essendon last won a final.

Let's hope Hawthorn's streak starts to rival it. It will be very close to 3000 days at the end of this season.

Edited by old55
  • Like 6

22 hours ago, Wells 11 said:

Kind of makes you think. Instead of those prodigies lets say they had some decent KPP prospects but ones that took a lot longer to develop, say Crawford retires earlier, say Rioli turned out to be Donald Cockatoo-Collins.. 

Would they have gotten enough results early on to ensure he was given the time he needed  to build it? Or could he have been another David Noble in history? Especially with a president that wanted to sack him after he'd already won a flag. 

Edited by layzie
  • Like 3

Pretty boring episode today.  Thought they would have discussed the practice games, but instead focused on "Bevos land of the giants" in the first half of the episode.  Can't wait to dismantle it in 12 days time.  The second half was about the fact that the Melbourne vs Bulldogs round 1 game will be the 3000th game at the MCG, so those of us lucky enough to attend can be part of history which may excite some.  Dammo and Nat then discussed their best games or moments at the 'G. Boring.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Vipercrunch said:

Pretty boring episode today.  Thought they would have discussed the practice games, but instead focused on "Bevos land of the giants" in the first half of the episode.  Can't wait to dismantle it in 12 days time.  The second half was about the fact that the Melbourne vs Bulldogs round 1 game will be the 3000th game at the MCG, so those of us lucky enough to attend can be part of history which may excite some.  Dammo and Nat then discussed their best games or moments at the 'G. Boring.

Add a special🥈 to the general then, Viper, for going above and beyond...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I listened with bated breath to hear Dammo’s take on the Kozzy incident, expecting more of the hysteria coming out of the likes of Kane Cornes and David King. Very surprised to hear him (and Josh Gabelich) say he was happy with it although he mused it could be challenged by Melbourne to lower it to one week. 

They were also very positive with the Grawndy performance and Dammo had Trac 5th best overall for the round in his Daily MVP votes (which he then ruined by giving Chad Warner 1st best).

• Thanks 1