TRAINING: Friday 22nd January 2021

Bring-Back-Powell

1 hour ago, adonski said:

Are they playing JJ pure inside mid? Or is he a possibility to line up on the wing? Don't see how all of the main mids plus Sparrow & Jordon play together. 

I would say JJ for a possible wing option on the proviso they see him as more an outside than inside player.

The non Langdon wing is wide open seeing as though they couldn’t get Isaac Smith over the line. Baker, Tomlinson, T Mac, JJ, Vanders - not particularly great options.

Sparrow would’ve gotten some major minutes inside the middle had Viney elected to go to Geelong, IMO.

29 minutes ago, WERRIDEE said:

How did Baker go?

Sorry to sound like a broken record but he didn’t play for the blue side (with numbers on their back) so either he played for the white side (no jumper numbers) or didn’t participate.

Given that the white side got done by 40 odd points in a 60 minute simulation, it’s probably fair to say the entire white team struggled for any ascendancy.

We need to consider that the return to standard quarters will see more likelihood of players rotating into the midfield than we saw in 2020. I would also be very surprised if we saw Brayshaw early in the season. Add to this Yze’s influence and our need to correct the stoppages bleeding we saw at times last year there will be new names. There is in my view 2 spots up for grabs rotating through the midfield as well as an open wing spot for round 1. I suspect the 2 mid spots will be between Harmes, Melksham, JJ, Sparrow with ANB a curveball addition. I suggest the most likely second winger at this stage is a TMac and Jackson combo. 

• Like 5

I like that Fritsch and TMac alternated on the wing. I've said it before, I think Fritsch is a natural winger and ticks more boxes than most of our list for the position - particularly his ability to deliver the pill into the forward line. He has a good tank, can cover the ground, isn't slow, great field kick, excellent mark for size, can spot up a target and has great vision.

If he alternates with TMac that gives us the versatility to go taller / smaller in the forward line, not sure where Jackson fits in this space as I don't know where they plan to play him predominantly. I realise Fritsch is needed in the forward line, but there are so few players that can actually play wing, it would be great to switch him up and back. I'm not so excited by TMac in that role, but you never know. The other player I think might surprise in this position is Nieta if his knee stands up to it. Down the track we've also got Bowser and Laurie to come through. None of the others really fit the bill in my mind.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

1) Hope you’re right with Jordon. Looked the part at training...see how he goes in the pre season games.

2) Which Smith are you referring to who was on BBB.? Joel was in rehab.

3) Would be keen on Scharanberg if we are permitted to  replace Hore on the list. Too good a talent to be out of the system, albeit is terribly injury prone.

we now have three spots available with Deakyn Smith and Farmer training on and the newly opened up Hore spot, chances r we save at least one for a KyleDunkley-esque who's the best 19yo we missed in the draft pool for the Mid season draft

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Roger Mellie said:

I like that Fritsch and TMac alternated on the wing. I've said it before, I think Fritsch is a natural winger and ticks more boxes than most of our list for the position - particularly his ability to deliver the pill into the forward line. He has a good tank, can cover the ground, isn't slow, great field kick, excellent mark for size, can spot up a target and has great vision.

If he alternates with TMac that gives us the versatility to go taller / smaller in the forward line, not sure where Jackson fits in this space as I don't know where they plan to play him predominantly. I realise Fritsch is needed in the forward line, but there are so few players that can actually play wing, it would be great to switch him up and back. I'm not so excited by TMac in that role, but you never know. The other player I think might surprise in this position is Nieta if his knee stands up to it. Down the track we've also got Bowser and Laurie to come through. None of the others really fit the bill in my mind.

There is no doubt that Fritta is one of our best players and will be even better this year with greater muscle and skills on display.

Where he plays should not be a bone of contention as he could play wing or defence BUT with our forward line needing the biggest boost for theta miss out on team to go to another level He must be retained on a flank alternating occasionally in a forward  pocket In bursts. His potential for 40 (plus) goals a season With greater marking and improved conversion is too much To  miss out on for our team. His duel with Haynes vs GWS was a great insight to his potential as he basically defended and competed so that Haynes intercept marking was reduced and then in the end he hit the scoreboard to assist us win.

With BBB Weid Kossie a resting Trac a rejuvenated Tommy Mac Jacko plus Spargo on the rise and the newbies Bowey Laurie and cameos from Rosman and even Hunt Melky and ANB in the wings add Gawny and any  mids resting forward Fritsch knits up a third or fourth medium Tall spot who is so dangerous and hard for the opposition to contain.

Remember he has been our best goal kicker in the last 2 years and they'd with terrible conversion rate plus awful leading patterns to the pockets.

We are sitting on a "goal" mine as his development is going to peak higher this year and become a super player and fulfil  the promise he has always shown.

Forward for Fritsch is a no brainer in 2021 and beyond.

PS Rosman  I predict will by seasons end Own the opposite wing to Langers.

On 1/23/2021 at 9:49 PM, Bring-Back-Powell said:

1) Hope you’re right with Jordon. Looked the part at training...see how he goes in the pre season games.

2) Which Smith are you referring to who was on BBB.? Joel was in rehab.

3) Would be keen on Scharanberg if we are permitted to  replace Hore on the list. Too good a talent to be out of the system, albeit is terribly injury prone.

We are permitted, yes. 

sorry not smith I meant Hore ie prior to poor bugger doing ACL. I think they even had AB down there for a bit as a learning opp

On 1/24/2021 at 8:46 AM, big_red_fire_engine said:

We need to consider that the return to standard quarters will see more likelihood of players rotating into the midfield than we saw in 2020. I would also be very surprised if we saw Brayshaw early in the season. Add to this Yze’s influence and our need to correct the stoppages bleeding we saw at times last year there will be new names. There is in my view 2 spots up for grabs rotating through the midfield as well as an open wing spot for round 1. I suspect the 2 mid spots will be between Harmes, Melksham, JJ, Sparrow with ANB a curveball addition. I suggest the most likely second winger at this stage is a TMac and Jackson combo. 

It’s also the single BIGGEST factor in why MFC are super confident about this season, they blv they can run teams off feet late in quarters and that 4th qtr they’ll have a massive adv. we will see if it is warranted. 

Also.. word at coterie is our b22 is currently looking completely diff to what many might expect. JJ/Sparrow likely to get inside mid rotation for R1 with extra mid depth needed for aforementioned factors.

F50 gonna be very very interesting indeed w/talls spots so competitive. Jackson’s ability to pressure will help and Weid likely to play further up so that might help us get an extra small from elsewhere down there in time to help with pressure and crumbing. Spargo is a lock, that much seems clear. He’s won the smalls spot w/Kossie & both will get mid-time potentially also. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1