afl stats pro

binman

I start very few threads, in fact i think this is probably only my 2nd or 3rd in my time on DL.

But i am really excited about a new innovation on afl.com called stats pro. Well to be precise excited about the video element where you can watch the edited video of every players involvements for each game from the start of 2017. 

The involvements match the stats collected on afl stats pro, so spoils, one percenters, score involvements, frees against, kicks, marks, clangers etc.

You can watch every involvement or just highlights. But you can also select specific involvements (which are often part of clusters of involvements).

Unfortunately it is only for telstra mobile customers who have live pass but i wanted to flag it those who have live pass.

It is brilliant and a fascinating way to analyse how individual players perform. Genuinely new way to absorb the game and will definetley allow viewrs to assess players more objectively.

Ive watched the video for about 8 of the players from the bombers game. Addictive.

One player that was interesting was tyson. His game was much better than i haf thought it was. Got caught a couple of times and a couple of clangers but jeez he was involved in alot of good clearances and scoring chains.

Weideman was another whise game was better than i had thought (albeit still not fantastic). He looks quite a natural ruck man. 

Has anyone used this yet? 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4

Is that you, Gil?

In all honesty though I have been keen but I'm not a Telstra customer so boo. Ridiculous that this sort of thing is restricted to certain telco users.

Will have to take a look, on a similar note does anyone here play moneyball now that is addictive and makes watching the footy very interesting, for those that don’t know what it is, it’s kind of like supercoach where you pick a team but you only get to choose 9 players from the 1 game, $60,000 salary cap and then you play for real money in a pool, I have just been playing in $2 games it’s a heap of fun 

3 hours ago, binman said:

I start very few threads, in fact i think this is probably only my 2nd or 3rd in my time on DL.

But i am really excited about a new innovation on afl.com called stats pro. Well to be precise excited about the video element where you can watch the edited video of every players involvements for each game from the start of 2017. 

The involvements match the stats collected on afl stats pro, so spoils, one percenters, score involvements, frees against, kicks, marks, clangers etc.

You can watch every involvement or just highlights. But you can also select specific involvements (which are often part of clusters of involvements).

Unfortunately it is only for telstra mobile customers who have live pass but i wanted to flag it those who have live pass.

It is brilliant and a fascinating way to analyse how individual players perform. Genuinely new way to absorb the game and will definetley allow viewrs to assess players more objectively.

Ive watched the video for about 8 of the players from the bombers game. Addictive.

One player that was interesting was tyson. His game was much better than i haf thought it was. Got caught a couple of times and a couple of clangers but jeez he was involved in alot of good clearances and scoring chains.

Weideman was another whise game was better than i had thought (albeit still not fantastic). He looks quite a natural ruck man. 

Is it on the app? How do you use / find it?

3 hours ago, binman said:

Its a good way to point out some players especially Tyson as he makes the odd mistake or a clanger but is also busy around packs  eg blocking harassing  linking, and afew scoring involvements as well. Was missed when injured. 19 possessions last week and that doesn't tell the story.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Vineytime said:

Is it on the app? How do you use / find it?

Apologies. Posted the thread on my phone (on the train) so couldn't put link. It also explains my spelling issues. I had an update and since then for the life of me cannot get spell check back.

it is actually hard to find on the afl.com site. On the menu on the main page running across the top is tab labelled stats. Click that and you will see this tab:StatsPro

You then click on the watch button

Here is direct link:http://www.afl.com.au/stats/stats-pro#/ 

The above is from the PC site. You can find it on the app for mobile and tablets but it was all but unusable whn i tried it on my tablet. too much data and video options.

Edited by binman
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, binman said:

When you say “involved in a lot of good scoring chains”, what exactly are you saying?

Clearances can be good if they’re effective. But if you’re part of a scoring chain, that really doesn’t mean anything unless you’ve produced something out of the ordinary.

An elementary handball to a player in space is not something out of the ordinary for example.

Dom can do all those things, as one would only expect at this level. But he is not in any way damaging. And he makes far too many mistakes. I’m keen to watch regardless, but I imagine my thoughts won’t be any different to what they were at the game on Sunday.

On 5/5/2018 at 8:13 AM, stevethemanjordan said:

When you say “involved in a lot of good scoring chains”, what exactly are you saying?

Clearances can be good if they’re effective. But if you’re part of a scoring chain, that really doesn’t mean anything unless you’ve produced something out of the ordinary.

An elementary handball to a player in space is not something out of the ordinary for example.

Dom can do all those things, as one would only expect at this level. But he is not in any way damaging. And he makes far too many mistakes. I’m keen to watch regardless, but I imagine my thoughts won’t be any different to what they were at the game on Sunday.

I believe the deffinition of a scoring chain is anyone that handled the ball (a possession) that results in a score after a stoppage (incl centre bounce), turnover or kick in. It is objective and not qualitative so that the quality of the disposal is not looked at. ie if a player handballs to the ground but we retain possession then it is counted.

On 5/4/2018 at 5:29 PM, binman said:

It's a shame because you could watch Oscar all day long :) 

3 hours ago, jnrmac said:

It's a shame because you could watch Oscar all day long :) 

Good thing i have live pass then. Ive already watcged every one if his game since the start of 2017. Beautiful stuff.

Seems you misunderstood me again ?

Edited by binman

13 hours ago, FireInTheBelly said:

Sounds like a great idea, apart from the access options.

Question, is it possible to go back and watch all of Jetta's involvements to see where he was punched in the face?

Yes. As it was an involvement - not sure if it was a free or mark. I assume a  mark as he clearly stops the ball - and if so beggars belief it wasn't 50.

In any case it will be listed as mark or free.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Clint Bizkit said:

Is this really glitchy or is it just me?

No it is glitchy. Need a computer with a bit of grunt. Works fine on my home computer, though def still has some glitches.

Thus far i have looked at Tyson, OMac, Hogan (wow) and Oliver. I might give quick summary tonite of some key observations

Oliver's clip goes for ages. Its great to see all of his handballs in one go. Some are just incredible. I can't recall another player with hands as quick.  

Edited by binman
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, binman said:

No it is glitchy. Need a computer with a bit of grunt. Works fine on my home computer, though def still has some glitches.

Thus far i have looked at Tyson, OMac, Hogan (wow) and Oliver. I might give quick summary tonite of some key observations

Oliver's clip goes for ages. Its great to see all of his handballs in one go. Some are just incredible. I can't recall another player with hands as quick.  

If you can get it, I'd love to see Spargo's defensive efforts leading up to ANB's goal.

Edited by Clint Bizkit

40 minutes ago, binman said:

Thanks for the Nev info.

I swear one of Clarrie's handballs he never actually took possession, more a scoop up and handpass with the one action. Poetry in motion.

It was also funny watching one of the highlights where he sold a handpass dummy. It would've been a ridiculous pass but he sold it because he's capable of pulling off the impossible. They fell for it hook, line, and sinker.

Priceless for anyone looking to assemble highlights packages.

"And now, by popular demand, every Clayton Oliver handball of the 2018 season"... this could take a while. Might want to do a kind of 4-part split screen to get through them.

Hmm, I just looked up the record to see if Oliver was a chance to crack it. He actual holds it, at 482, which is just 2 ahead of Mithell and Crouch who also both set in 2017. So, I guess the challenge is to crack 500. What's that... about 23 a game? (not counting finals). Totally possible.