Two tossers take aim at Bugg

Demonland

Despite his musings after the fact, I enjoyed it and didn't interpret it as a "me me me" act. Just a bit of fun while sticking it up the opposition. When someone like Jamie Elliott kicks a goal and goes out of his way not to celebrate with teammates. that's different.

I totally embrace the attitude he's brought to the club.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Soidee said:

Big headed coward are your words, FFS how long have you been watching AFL?  Reiwoldt serves it up to our players every time we play them and he has showboated numerous times.  

the MFC has had sand kicked in their collective faces for 10 years and frankly I love Bugg in our team.  This club is finally moving in the right direction and needs a hard edge as part of that, those who want to have tea and scones and want a Gentile game time has past you by.  This is Melbourne under Roos, Goodwin and Co.

all power to Tommy Bugg types who help us win games.

Justifying someone's actions because someone else does it doesn't work for me.  I don't care what Reiwoldt does, I'm interested in what Bugg does.

Bugg has recognized he was wrong on both counts and says the $1000 fine was deserved and that penalties for having a go at an injured player in the hands of trainers are warranted. I'm agreeing with Bugg but suggesting the penalty he received is not strong enough. I know I'm being harsh.

Viney  is genuinely tough and so are a number of others.  Bugg wasn't tough, I don't know why many  people say his incident with Reiwoldt was acceptable.  I like his attitude, I like that he's aggressive and I like what he brings to the team but I don't like what he did.  Either does he and either does the Club.

And can you explain to me how the incident with Reiwoldt "help us win games"?  

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Baghdad Bob said:

Justifying someone's actions because someone else does it doesn't work for me.  I don't care what Reiwoldt does, I'm interested in what Bugg does.

Bugg has recognized he was wrong on both counts and says the $1000 fine was deserved and that penalties for having a go at an injured player in the hands of trainers are warranted. I'm agreeing with Bugg but suggesting the penalty he received is not strong enough. I know I'm being harsh.

Viney  is genuinely tough and so are a number of others.  Bugg wasn't tough, I don't know why many  people say his incident with Reiwoldt was acceptable.  I like his attitude, I like that he's aggressive and I like what he brings to the team but I don't like what he did.  Either does he and either does the Club.

"an eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind"  - Kevin Gandhi (Bunyip U18 premiership fullback)

I am completely lost on the argument that others do it so so should we. I have lost count of the number of times posters bemoan these type of actions and players and how these players are the "despised of the AFL" yet when one of ours does it  - it's good.

Again - unsociable football is one thing  - what he did to Reiwoldt is not unsociable - it was unacceptable. 

• Like 1

Even Titus O'Reily was displeased with Bugg's actions noting his push on Jack Riewoldt "reflected poorly on the club and the private school Bugg went to".

However Titus was more unimpressed with Rance's hit on Jack Watts calling it " a shocking act, like shooting Bambi".

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Dee Dee said:

"reflected poorly on the club and the private school Bugg went to".

But I'm sure the Gembrook Football Club where Bugg played juniors loved it.

I used to play against Gembrook and it was like playing against team full of Buggs,a truly horrible experience.

• Like 6

I loved his showboating.  Why not?  No big deal.  He's confident, excited to be playing at the G, under lights with his exciting teammates, running into an open goal, richmond supporters behind goal, ssshhhhhh! fantastic.  good on him.  as long as he doesn't do it to often.  so many boring, inhibited 'leaders' out there these days that makes me love the Bugg more so.  Our coaching staff will sort him out if he gets to carried away.  Jesus.  As for him pushing Riewoldt?  Oh well.  [censored] reiwoldt!  he is a [censored] anyway.  

Drop him, wow. Come on. 

Gawn on 360 said the pushing wasn't on and Bugg apologised accordingly. On the showboating he said he doesn't mind it, it's who Bugg is and the way he plays. 

Watching our players around Bugg when he's running his mouth, they love it. Kent looked like he's front row at a comedy show.  He's obviously bringing enthusiasm and his own style to the team and it's working. He can be sloppy with his touches, but let's not pretend he's a complete hack either, gets the ball and does some good things with it and he tackles like a mad man. 

He copped a fine and issued an apology, no need to drop him. 

Interestingly he was going to cop the boos this week anyway, Saints supporters hate him for his hit on Nick Riewoldt, it'll be even more amplified after the weeks events. Hope he snags another and shooshes them with a full lap. 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Emerald said:

I used to play against Gembrook and it was like playing against team full of Buggs,a truly horrible experience.

Ah yes, played many a game against the spud pickers as we called them in the 80's.

I guess you played for Emerald?

I was at South Belgrave where we had boys home tough nuts making up the numbers in the u17s and every few years the entire club was kicked out of whatever league they/we were in.

Ah the good old days ;-) I just had a pang of nostalgia lol!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Melbman2 said:

Ah yes, played many a game against the spud pickers as we called them in the 80's.

I guess you played for Emerald?

I was at South Belgrave where we had boys home tough nuts making up the numbers in the u17s and every few years the entire club was kicked out of whatever league they/we were in.

Ah the good old days ;-) I just had a pang of nostalgia lol!

Yes,I did play for the Emerald Bombers,wore a Bombers jumper and sang see the bombers fly up after each victory.I have sinned,forgive me Demonland.

Have not heard the term 'spud pickers' for a while,that gave me a good laugh. 

There is a local legend about a South Belgrave end of season footy trip where the bus driver kicked the whole team off the bus half way to Bendigo and drove home.Do you know if there is any truth to this Melbman?

2 hours ago, Emerald said:

Yes,I did play for the Emerald Bombers,wore a Bombers jumper and sang see the bombers fly up after each victory.I have sinned,forgive me Demonland.

Have not heard the term 'spud pickers' for a while,that gave me a good laugh. 

There is a local legend about a South Belgrave end of season footy trip where the bus driver kicked the whole team off the bus half way to Bendigo and drove home.Do you know if there is any truth to this Melbman?

Haha, never heard that one but it wouldn't surprise me.

I didn't ever go on an end of season trip with Sth Belg but did a few trips to play against Thornton where the Golden Trout hotel copped a beating. I did get to watch one of the Tossel (spelling) brothers playing for Thornton having returned from playing for the Dees. It was good as a junior to see how an expert played the game. Similar to today really, mark, play on, kick, run like hell and followup. He was a large step above all others there.

Emerald were a very tough team back in the day, playing them always got the blood pumping. Mark Hastings (I think) is a name I remember from the time.

One "funny" South Belg story was where a "mate" drank a bottle of scotch back in the mid/late 80's just before a seniors game and had a disagreement with the umpire and as a part of remonstrating with the ump, he um, vigorously displayed his manhood in the goal square in the general floppy direction of the ump complete with an Ocker yearrrrr!!!.

Was funny at the time (though not so now I'm all grown up, I guess it was the shock value at the time) but it was a first step in the club getting kicked out again that season.

When we had the basin boys home kids playing for us in u/17, there were opposition players carted off on stretchers every week. One at Powelltown before the first siren even sounded. I would have hated playing against them.

Kevin (nickname Moari) ruled the boys home and we became friends outside of footy for a few years when we bumped into each other in town late one night after he got out. We reminisced about games and one funny incident where on the wing in one game Kevin forgot what he was doing and instead of tackling the player he did a flying roundhouse at the poor kid.

We lost contact with each other and I sadly saw on the news one night in around '97 or '98 he was gunned down in King St late one night and didn't survive.

The people you spend time with as a kid is so different from who you do so in later years. Especially when you grow up at the end of the train line ;-)

Edited by Melbman2
  • Like 1

On 27 April 2016 at 3:35 PM, Baghdad Bob said:

The Reiwoldt incident has nothing to do with winning us games.  I was referring to Buggs aggression in field play helps us win games.  

On ‎27‎/‎04‎/‎2016 at 11:28 AM, Emerald said:

Haha, Emerald. Great rivalry between Gembrook and Emerald. Those Brooker boys hit the contest hard!

The Brookers have had an incredible success rate of AFL players per population. Andrew Shipp, Spud Firritto, Bugg and Craig Clarke are four that come to mind.

Edited by dee-tox
  • Like 1