Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Pell's health at risk...... . .

dee-luded

51 minutes ago, nutbean said:

Just to correct some fairly obvious errors....

- It is not just Austen Tayshus and Julie Szego

- they are not telling the world to turn a blind eye

- they are not saying Israel is saying it's critics aren't focusing on all the other atrocities in the world.

The general thrust of the argument is that much of main stream media is not reporting with the same frequency or emphasis the atrocities being committed by the Palestinians. They highlight the imbalance in the reporting - which I agree with.

Before you jump on me I will state categorically that in my opinion an atrocity cannot be waved away by the argument that "the other side are doing it too". I am highly critical of some of the actions of the Israeli Government (especially the land grab in the West Bank and East Jerusalem) and army as I am of certain elements of the Palestinians. 

I get the gist of what you're saying. It's just that the proportions of the atrocities are so absolutely lop-sided. Israel has the 3rd best equipped army and air force in the word, the Palestinians fire home made rockets.Just look at the disproportion of the deaths, the injuries, the crippling of infrastructure suffered by Gaza. We won't even talk about the bantusation of the West Bank, the high sea piracy - when the relief ship was attacked. So the Palestinians fire hand made rockets?????

46 minutes ago, nutbean said:

I dislike the argument "but hey, look at what the others are doing" or "why are we being singled out when others are doing the same". There is accuracy in in the statements as there is not equality in coverage or the spotlight does not fall in equal proportions. But to use this approach to try and downplay ones actions I find abhorrent. 

We kill but what about others who kill ? We may have sexually abused children but what about others who have done the same ? This doesn't sit with me at all. 

Nor me. It makes me sick.

1 hour ago, nutbean said:

I dislike the argument "but hey, look at what the others are doing" or "why are we being singled out when others are doing the same". There is accuracy in in the statements as there is not equality in coverage or the spotlight does not fall in equal proportions. But to use this approach to try and downplay ones actions I find abhorrent. 

We kill but what about others who kill ? We may have sexually abused children but what about others who have done the same ? This doesn't sit with me at all. 

this Royal Commission is looking into all Institutional Sexual Abuse of children,  & has investigated other religious organisations members. & found pedophiles amongst all of them, but no where as many as in the catholic churches organ isation.

Do you want Pell to come back to Australia to face his accusers/victims ?

Edited by dee-luded

36 minutes ago, dee-luded said:

this Royal Commission is looking into all Institutional Sexual Abuse of children,  & has investigated other religious organisations members. & found pedophiles amongst all of them, but no where as many as in the catholic churches organ isation.

Do you want Pell to come back to Australia to face his accusers/victims ?

I note your first point and the answer to your question is absolutely.

To me whether the coverage is lopsided or not is irrelevant anyway. The argument of "why aren't you also looking at XYZ as they are doing it to " is deflection and and repulsive deflection at that and nothing more. I want everyone and I mean everyone who commits these hideous crimes ( or aids,abets or covers up) brought to justice. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dieter said:

I came across one catholic recently who said the catholic church was being singled out. In other words, don't acknowledge the criminal and immoral behavior,  throw the focus on the other.

Which is similar to the ranting and posturing of Austen Tayshus and Julie Szego when they tell the world to turn a blind eye to the slaughter of Palestinians by Israel, saying Israel has been put under the spotlight unfairly because its critics aren't focusing on all the other atrocities in the world.

1 hour ago, dieter said:

I get the gist of what you're saying. It's just that the proportions of the atrocities are so absolutely lop-sided. Israel has the 3rd best equipped army and air force in the word, the Palestinians fire home made rockets.Just look at the disproportion of the deaths, the injuries, the crippling of infrastructure suffered by Gaza. We won't even talk about the bantusation of the West Bank, the high sea piracy - when the relief ship was attacked. So the Palestinians fire hand made rockets?????

So which one is it ? In the first post you condemn the Catholic church behavior for it's deflection and throw focus on the other and in the second post  - you do exactly the same that !

The Middle East problems date back to 1948 with the formation of the State of Israel but historically goes back centuries. I absolutely acknowledge some of the repugnant behaviors of the Israeli Government but the above comments shows a complete disregard for what has transpired over the past 50 odd years and the failings of leadership by both sides to work towards to a peaceful resolution. I condemn the series of right wing Israeli Government for their provocative actions and heavy handed treatments and I condemn the Palestinian leadership for failing their own people and in the words of Golda Meir " never missing an opportunity to miss an opportunity". To condemn one side for disproportionate behavior without examining how it got to the place it is now is like reading the last chapter of a 40 chapter book without bothering to read to the first 39 chapters.

Happy to take this offline as this is as complex an issue as will ever be discussed.

3 hours ago, nutbean said:

Just to correct some fairly obvious errors....

- It is not just Austen Tayshus and Julie Szego

- they are not telling the world to turn a blind eye

- they are not saying Israel is saying it's critics aren't focusing on all the other atrocities in the world.

The general thrust of the argument is that much of main stream media is not reporting with the same frequency or emphasis the atrocities being committed by the Palestinians. They highlight the imbalance in the reporting - which I agree with.

Before you jump on me I will state categorically that in my opinion an atrocity cannot be waved away by the argument that "the other side are doing it too". I am highly critical of some of the actions of the Israeli Government (especially the land grab in the West Bank and East Jerusalem) and army as I am of certain elements of the Palestinians. 

Hi Nutbean.

I'm trying to reply to your last post but when I click on 'Quote' this keeps coming up.

With all respect, I doubt there's any point in talking about this offline. Regarding the History of Israel and its policy of ethnic cleansing - witness Deir Yassin and the many other Palestinian villages wiped out by brutal Israeli policy - I take my cue from Ilan Pappe and Schlomo Sand. With regard to the lunatic behavior of clowns like Netahyahu, Sharon and his ilk, I take my cue from Norman Finklestein. With regard to the whole process of Israel being granted a slice of other peoples' land in the last act of European colonialism, I take my cue from Gilad Atzmon.

The twain shall never meet. I've talked with many Jewish people about this topic and I've learnt that - especially when I speak with European Jews who were caught up in the unspeakable horrors of the Nazi times - there is an inpenetrable intransigence and a version of history which differs so far from real facts of history, E.G. Deir Yassin,  that I concede it's useless to attempt to debate or discuss.Especially the likes of  Austen Tayshus who just scream over the top of anybody who asks him to see the forest for the trees.

Just last week three Israelis manning a stand that sells beauty products said to be based on sand from the Dead Sea in Northland asked me to show them where Palestine is. They brought up Google map on their iphones and challenged me to show them where Palestine is on the map. What is Palestine, they said.

Indeed.

Miranda Devine: Pell punished for trying to aid victims

The Sunday Telegraph

e617af96d8a3d5bce800d506983cf43c?width=6

Miranda Devine.

TOMORROW, at 8am our time, Cardinal George Pell will give evidence via videolink from the Hotel Quirinale in Rome to the child sexual abuse royal commission.

It will be the third time he has testified to the commission - the fourth, if you count the Victorian parliamentary inquiry which preceded it. He has hardly been hiding.

And yet the point of much of the unrestrained vitriol spewed at him is that he is a coward who has refused to “come home” to testify.

But Pell, 74, has a heart complaint and has been told by doctors not to fly, a fact accepted by royal commissioner Peter McClellan after some delay, which only served to add to pressure on the star witness of the $500 million exercise.

Watching Pell tomorrow will be a self-invited group of about 120, including 50 journalists and assorted victims, supporters and Pell-haters who have travelled to Rome,

read more if you dare?

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/opinion/miranda-devine-pell-punished-for--trying-to-aid-victims/news-story/2b1bc13054af6f4af60fcb33dc25efaa

WTF

https://www.revealnews.org/blog/jehovahs-witnesses-sex-abuse-scandal-is-a-lot-like-catholic-churchs/

Jehovah’s Witnesses’ sex abuse scandal is a lot like Catholic Church’s

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-news/child-abuse-victim-urges-nation-to-follow-lifesaving-act-disclosure-scheme-20160225-gn3cjo.html

Christopher Knaus

A child abuse campaigner has urged Australian governments to follow the ACT's proposed mandatory disclosure scheme, saying it would have saved children like him from being molested at the hands of a Marist brother decades ago.

Damian De Marco, named ACT Local Hero of the Year for his campaigning, is set to speak at a NSW Ombudsman's conference in Sydney on Friday, where he will praise the ACT's "courageous" plans to prevent institutional child sexual abuse and urge other states and territories to follow suit.

Damian De Marco, a victim of Brother Kostka, who was named ACT Local Hero of the Year in 2015 for campaigning to prevent ...
Damian De Marco, a victim of Brother Kostka, who was named ACT Local Hero of the Year in 2015 for campaigning to prevent child abuse Photo: Jamila Toderas

That scheme would see organisations with responsibility for children legally required to report any allegations of abuse or neglect to a new independent statutory authority, which would then handle complaints, denying institutions the chance to deal with them internally.

Chief Minister Andrew Barr confirmed on Thursday that he would seek to raise the issue of a consistent, strong national approach to reportable conduct at the next Council of Australian Governments meeting.

"Our children deserve to be protected wherever they live. Some jurisdictions, such as NSW, already have similar measures in place," Mr Barr said.

"A nationally consistent approach would ensure the best protection of children no matter where they live."

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-news/child-abuse-victim-urges-nation-to-follow-lifesaving-act-disclosure-scheme-20160225-gn3cjo.html

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/christian-brother-gyrated-against-me-catholic-sexual-abuse-victim-20160222-gn09q7.html#ixzz41PzfX6Wd
Follow us: @theage on Twitter | theageAustralia on Facebook

Christian Brother 'gyrated' against me:  Catholic sexual abuse victim

Chris Johnston

Martinus Claassen was a Catholic schoolboy in Ballarat through the late 1960s into the 1970s. This, as we now know from the Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse, was potentially dangerous. And he wasn't spared.

The 54-year-old's mother was waived from paying fees at St Patrick's College, a Christian Brothers high school, because her husband, Mr Claassen's father, had died. One weekend just after Mr Claassen started at the school in 1974 he went to Melbourne for the weekend and forgot to take his homework.

Protesters against child abuse within the Catholic Church stand  the front of the Ballarat Magistrate's Court before the ...

Protesters against child abuse within the Catholic Church stand the front of the Ballarat Magistrate's Court before the Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse begins. Photo: Simon O'Dwyer

Back at school, he was confronted in class by Brother Edward Dowlen, now jailed for child sexual abuse offences. Mr Claassen was sitting at his desk. He told Monday's royal commission hearing in Ballarat the brother leaned in close to him, spoke very softly to him about his missing homework and started stroking his thigh and genitals.

The royal commission heard 853 Australians have claimed child sexual abuse against one or more Christian Brothers, with 75 per cent of victims under the age of 13 and 98 per cent of them male. The church has paid out more than $37 million in compensation, averaging $64,000 per victim.

Mr Claassen told him to stop, so Brother Dowlen grabbed him and pushed him up against the wall at the back of the room, facing the wall, "gyrating against me" while shouting at the boy about his homework.

Mr Claassen vomited at school, then that night told his mother, who organised a meeting at the school with headmaster Brother Paul Nangle. Mr Claassen told the royal commission Brother Nangle said to him: "Why are you making up these stories?" Mr Claassen showed Brother Nangle where Brother Dowlen touched him. He was crying during the meeting. "He (Nangle) then ended the meeting and said 'thank you for coming.'"

Mr Claassen said when his mother was on her death bed in 2001 she told him the episode had been the most difficult of her life and she had asked her brother what to do. "He said 'he's your boy, you have to look after him'," Mr Claassen said, adding that Brother Nangle had failed in his role as headmaster of St Patrick's College by not telling anyone about the allegations – now proven – against Brother Dowlen.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/feb/10/catholic-bishops-not-obliged-report-clerical-child-abuse-vatican-says

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/feb/10/catholic-bishops-not-obliged-report-clerical-child-abuse-vatican-says

Catholic bishops not obliged to report clerical child abuse, Vatican says

Vatican guide says ‘not necessarily’ bishop’s duty to report suspects to police despite Pope Francis’s vows to redress Catholic church’s legacy of child abuse

Image result for Cardinal Bernard Law, who was forced to resign

Cardinal Bernard Law, who was forced to resign over sexual abuse scandals in his Boston archdiocese, where 150 priests were accused of molesting children. Photograph: Thomas Coex/AFP/Getty

The Catholic church is telling newly appointed bishops that it is “not necessarily” their duty to report accusations of clerical child abuse and that only victims or their families should make the decision to report abuse to police.

A document that spells out how senior clergy members ought to deal with allegations of abuse, which was recently released by the Vatican, emphasised that, though they must be aware of local laws, bishops’ only duty was to address such allegations internally.

“According to the state of civil laws of each country where reporting is obligatory, it is not necessarily the duty of the bishop to report suspects to authorities, the police or state prosecutors in the moment when they are made aware of crimes or sinful deeds,” the training document states.

The training guidelines were written by a controversial French monsignor and psychotherapist, Tony Anatrella, who serves as a consultant to the Pontifical Council for the Family. The Vatican released the guidelines – which are part of a broader training programme for newly named bishops – at a press conference earlier this month and is now seeking feedback.

Details of the Catholic church’s policy were first reported in a column by a veteran Vatican journalist, John Allen, associate editor of the Catholic news site, Cruxnow.com.

Allen noted that a special commission created by Pope Francis, the Pontifical Commission for the Protection of Minors, had appeared to play no role in the training programme, even though it is supposed to be developing “best practices” to prevent and deal with clerical abuse

read more >>> http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/feb/10/catholic-bishops-not-obliged-report-clerical-child-abuse-vatican-says

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2016/02/27/world/europe/ap-eu-rel-vatican-sex-abuse.html

Spotlight: Top Vatican Cardinal to Testify About Sex Abuse

NY TIMES:  By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS  FEB. 27, 2016, 11:03 A.M. E.S.T.

VATICAN CITY — One of the highest-ranking Vatican officials is being compelled to testify in public starting Sunday about clerical sex abuse, an unusual demonstration of holding even the most senior Catholic bishops accountable.

Cardinal George Pell, Pope Francis' top financial adviser,  will testify in a Rome hotel conference room for three nights running,  answering questions via video link from Australia's Royal Commission with his accusers on hand to confront him.

The arrangements, including the 10 p.m.-2 a.m. testimony window to suit Australian time zones,  were made after the 74-year-old Pell asked to be excused from traveling home to testify because of previously undisclosed heart conditions that made flying too risky.

The arrangement has had the unintended consequence of magnifying the event,  which might otherwise have remained confined to a few news cycles in Australia.  

Now European and American media will be covering a story about pedophile priests,   the rape of children,   and the church's botched cover-up  — a story the Vatican wants absolutely nothing to do with.

read more >>>  http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2016/02/27/world/europe/ap-eu-rel-vatican-sex-abuse.html

Edited by dee-luded

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/national/cardinal-george-pell-uninterested-in-ridsdale-sex-claims-royal-commission-hears-20160229-gn6vyi.html

Cardinal George Pell uninterested in Ridsdale sex claims, Royal Commission hears

March 1 2016 - 10:41AM  Rachel Browne     Rachel Browne

Complaints about a paedophile priest were "common knowledge" in the Catholic community and among two senior clergy members but Cardinal George Pell did not have  "much interest"  in them,  he told a royal commission.

In his second day of questioning about what he knew of sexual offending by priests when he was in Victoria,  Cardinal Pell's  admission drew an audible gasp from those listening to his testimony.

Giving his evidence via video-link from Rome,  Australia's most senior Catholic agreed that some people knew there had been complaints about Gerald Ridsdale in the 1970s,  a former priest now serving a prison sentence for multiple child sex offences.

The Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse heard a police investigation into Ridsdale found his alleged offending at Victorian parishes was  "common knowledge"  among the Catholic congregation.

Cardinal Pell has repeatedly denied knowledge of Ridsdale's offending in the 1970s.

"I didn't know whether it was common knowledge or whether it wasn't,"  he said.   "It's a sad story and it wasn't of much interest to me."

When asked by counsel assisting the royal commission  Gail Furness SC  why Ridsdale's case was not of interest he replied:  "The suffering, of course, was real and I very much regret that but I had no reason to turn my mind to the extent of the evil that Ridsdale had perpetrated."

The commission heard the then Bishop of Ballarat  Ronald Mulkearns  was aware of allegations against Ridsdale,  as was another senior member of the diocese,  in the 1970s.   Cardinal Pell said it was a  "gross deception"  that they did not inform him of the claims in his then role as a  consulter  to the Diocese of Ballarat.

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/national/cardinal-george-pell-uninterested-in-ridsdale-sex-claims-royal-commission-hears-20160229-gn6vyi.html

Edited by dee-luded

this,,,,, person?  cardinal,,,,,   has no business being allowed to be in church employ,  he sounds to me as if he's a serious narcissist?   who seems as if he is so out of touch with peoples feelings & therefore their needs.

if so, its no wonder so much damage has been caused on his watch?

1 hour ago, dee-luded said:

this,,,,, person?  cardinal,,,,,   has no business being allowed to be in church employ,  he sounds to me as if he's a serious narcissist?   who seems as if he is so out of touch with peoples feelings & therefore their needs.

if so, its no wonder so much damage has been caused on his watch?

The deluded, privileged  clown wants us to believe that he was deaf to certain things which were talked about in the 70's and 80's, in direct contradiction to witnesses to the contrary. What is most scary is his assertion today that talk of Risdale rooting boys was not of interest to him.

It kind of lines up with the so-called reformist Pope Francis who is quoted today as re-affirming that bishops sought to be exempt from reporting sexual abuse by priests to the police.

A swell bunch, protecting a totally Ku Klux and Cargo Cult fanaticism called Roman Catholicism.

48 minutes ago, dieter said:

The deluded, privileged  clown wants us to believe that he was deaf to certain things which were talked about in the 70's and 80's, in direct contradiction to witnesses to the contrary. What is most scary is his assertion today that talk of Risdale rooting boys was not of interest to him.

It kind of lines up with the so-called reformist Pope Francis who is quoted today as re-affirming that bishops sought to be exempt from reporting sexual abuse by priests to the police.

A swell bunch, protecting a totally Ku Klux and Cargo Cult fanaticism called Roman Catholicism.

thats right,  i think,  in frustration?   he impulsively spouted out that quote of  'not caring',   which is likely a bit of bravado, & some truth as well ? 

so I don't think he's psycho,  but I really wonder if its real narcissism.  imo,  narcissists care a little,  but not enough to sway them to do right by the masses,  but rather treat themselves 1st 2nd & 3rd before others.

......  imo they're aspirations come before anything at all.

There seems a parallel in his testimony,  which gives me this impression anyway.

#  bishops seeking to be exempt from reporting sexual abuse sounds like politics from amongst differing sides of the cardinals & bishops ???

..... sounds to me like the old guard rearing up against the new guard,  Pope Francis  doesn't give me the impression at least,  that he is truly for the old ways such as non-reporting of sexual abuse?  He reaches out to the people,  & seems to want to be the Nurturer of the Vatican...   this seems in contrast to what the bishops want?  I would think that Pell would want to retreat back unto the shadows of secrecy &  manipula-tory  tactics. 

.....  treating his flock as mushrooms.

I don't believe Pope Francis is like that, at least not to this point?

George 

12 minutes ago, dee-luded said:

thats right,  i think,  in frustration?   he impulsively spouted out that quote of  'not caring',   which is likely a bit of bravado, & some truth as well ? 

so I don't think he's psycho,  but I really wonder if its real narcissism.  imo,  narcissists care a little,  but not enough to sway them to do right by the masses,  but rather treat themselves 1st 2nd & 3rd before others.

......  imo they're aspirations come before anything at all.

There seems a parallel in his testimony,  which gives me this impression anyway.

#  bishops seeking to be exempt from reporting sexual abuse sounds like politics from amongst differing sides of the cardinals & bishops ???

..... sounds to me like the old guard rearing up against the new guard,  Pope Francis  doesn't give me the impression at least,  that he is truly for the old ways such as non-reporting of sexual abuse?  He reaches out to the people,  & seems to want to be the Nurturer of the Vatican...   this seems in contrast to what the bishops want?  I would think that Pell would want to retreat back unto the shadows of secrecy &  manipula-tory  tactics. 

.....  treating his flock as mushrooms.

I don't believe Pope Francis is like that, at least not to this point?

George Pell is vile scum.    Just like his good mate Rissdale.    its too bad there isnt a hell for them to burn in.

2 minutes ago, Petraccattack said:

George 

George Pell is vile scum.    Just like his good mate Rissdale.    its too bad there isnt a hell for them to burn in.

don't be too sure Petraccattack,,   it may not be exactly as in that book,  but there is every chance there is a selector in the heavens...  & just maybe many will make the squad for best 22...  & others may just get demoted to rookie lists... 

others yet,  may get deelisted & sent to one of those blackholes ?  to be blended back into dark matter?

4 minutes ago, dee-luded said:

don't be too sure Petraccattack,,   it may not be exactly as in that book,  but there is every chance there is a selector in the heavens...  & just maybe many will make the squad for best 22...  & others may just get demoted to rookie lists... 

others yet,  may get deelisted & sent to one of those blackholes ?  to be blended back into dark matter?

Centreline -   George Pell  -  Adolf Hitler - james Hird

12 hours ago, Petraccattack said:

democracy & free speech is the friend of the people.

the secrecy  =  political correctness  =  see neo evil, hear no evil, speak of no evil,  =  non reporting of really bad doings,  & when good people stay quiet.   the dark side has its way.  imo.

Edited by dee-luded

11 hours ago, Petraccattack said:

I understand your dislike for both Pell and Hird...but this is over the top....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grapeviney said:

Stay on topic please - it's a serious one and shouldn't be trivialised or turned into a laugh.

If you want to discuss Hird or the Israeli Government, go somewhere else to do it.

In future, such posts will be deleted.  

As a survivor of Rupertswood I know how serious the topic is only too well. It wasn't a discussion on Hird nor the Israeli government, simply a banding together, in my post anyhow, of four people who are arguably criminals. What isn't arguable is that all of them put themselves above any law, above any sense of morality.

• Like 1