The Jesse Mogg Thread

Whispering_Jack

I don't get the point of the article or the thread really.

Jesse Mogg is a fantastic athlete, but so was Issy Folau. Unless you get them early enough, for long enough and with the right desire it wont matter. The biggest return on investment for the league is to try and get these kids in to the NSW and QLD junior development pathways - hence why 2 teams in QLD and NSW are so important and growing junior participation is the key.

Hawthorn did a few preseason camps over the years in NZ I think and possibly have a more ambitious recruiting approach their than other clubs but rugby/NZ based athletes for international rookies isn't a new phenomenon. It's just about finding an athlete good enough to take the chance on and the wealthier clubs will have more opportunities to try that.

Anyway the league is currently littered with players who grew up playing little AFL footy. The number of kids who played a year of juniors, focussed on a another sport then played one year of TAC before being drafted is huge. There's cricketers (George Horlin-Smith, Jake Carlisle), basketballers by the bus load and kids like Jeremy Cameron who when 16 or 17 thought he'd have another go at footy and was a star. Same with internationals from Ireland, US, Canada, New Zealand which is great. But it's been over 25 years since Jimmy Stynes came out and I'm not aware of another Brownlow medalist since who was international or a high level athlete in another code who switched to footy.

The article says Mogg played AFL during his school years, has recorded the fastest speed results ever seen in Australian rugby and boasts a left boot that regularly sends the rugby ball 60m downfield.

If I was an AFL scout, I would be interested to see if he could be successfully converted to our game.

Then you have Swans' premiership ruckman Mike Pyke and the fact that last year's premiers Hawthorn are experimenting with two young NZers.

Even if we haven't produced a Brownlow medallist from overseas lately, the internationals including Pyke and Pearce Hanley demonstrate the quality that's out there.

Meanwhile, I've been holidaying on the beach at Frankston for the best part of three weeks and commuting to town for work over the last three days. On Wednesday, I heard of a plan for Frankston and the Mornington Peninsula to secede from Victoria/Australia. I'm all for it although the constant international travel will probably wear me out. Since Essendon's Michael Hibberd is a Frankston boy and he's on the Champion Data elite list, that would give the independent republic of Frankston (or Boganville) one more elite player than the entire MFC.

• Like 1

Of course Mogg would be a great chance to succeed at AFL but unless we create another expansion club who is going to pay him significantly more than his rugby contract (ie. 1mil per year) to find out?

What I was trying to say is that alternative sport and international recruiting has been around for decades. If AFL clubs and lists could afford to be expanded to 100 then we'd have all sorts of extra athletes in the game.

The article says Mogg played AFL during his school years, has recorded the fastest speed results ever seen in Australian rugby and boasts a left boot that regularly sends the rugby ball 60m downfield.

If I was an AFL scout, I would be interested to see if he could be successfully converted to our game.

Then you have Swans' premiership ruckman Mike Pyke and the fact that last year's premiers Hawthorn are experimenting with two young NZers.

Even if we haven't produced a Brownlow medallist from overseas lately, the internationals including Pyke and Pearce Hanley demonstrate the quality that's out there.

Meanwhile, I've been holidaying on the beach at Frankston for the best part of three weeks and commuting to town for work over the last three days. On Wednesday, I heard of a plan for Frankston and the Mornington Peninsula to secede from Victoria/Australia. I'm all for it although the constant international travel will probably wear me out. Since Essendon's Michael Hibberd is a Frankston boy and he's on the Champion Data elite list, that would give the independent republic of Frankston (or Boganville) one more elite player than the entire MFC.

WJ built any sandcastles while on hols ? Whilst down there snap up a piece of the best real estate value in Aus in Kooringal but avoid the excessive prices in South Frangas.

Don't hesitate to call on the advice of Dermie,Shawiey,Foxy or Sambo !

I reckon if you want a slight left of field selection a young Canberra local by the name of Tom Faul should come to mind. Missed most of his junior under 18 year with a nasty ankle - but is a freak athlete. Keep your eyes out for him this year with NSW/ACT. Pretty sure GWS have been keeping him well and truly under wraps