AFL Officials in Trouble

Redleg

I stand by both comments. But thanks for nitpick.

This is why a debate with you is pointless - a seemingly innocuous, yet incongruous, point that you should just abandon - and yet you double down and up the snark.

Waiting for the snark to this post...

Sounds a bit like Bill Shorten "I agree with what she (ex-ex-PM) said"

"But what did she say"

"Don't know but I agree with it"!

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the HUN, sorry can't get the full story. If this is the case then Andy will have to resign.

TANIA Hird says AFL chief Andrew Demetriou has known all along that her husband, James, is being paid by Essendon during his suspension.

A case of :"he said", "she said"!

I don't accept that AD has lied about his knowledge of Hird being paid by Essendon. IMO he believed they were not paying him. It would have been far too easy to uncover.

Clearly Hird's lawyers have noted that the written suspension doesn't specifically refer to "remuneration while suspended" and have advised Hird accordingly and it may have been one of his conditions, that they felt the document met.

IMO AD was under the impression that suspension meant no pay and he has said he told Essendon not to pay Hird. This was however between him and Essendon, not Hird and was verbal and after a written document had been executed by Hird and the AFL.

Hird's lawyers have probably pointed out to Essendon that they have an agreement with him and that the AFL one doesn't alter that in respect to remuneration.

While it is probable that Hird told his side he wanted his money, they may have waited until the written penalty was provided and then grabbed it, as it omitted the non payment clause.

The Hird's are playing a dangerous game, but are probably confident in knowing that AD won't sue for defamation, because the mysterious phone call would rear its head in Court and if proved could land AD in serious hot water.

I would imagine at this stage the AFL and AD are absolutely furious with Hird and the Bombers. For Tania Hird to give an interview and call the AFL's behaviour appalling and operating by threats on people and clubs is clearly damaging the AFL brand.

Interestingly as I have said before, not since the media conference in February, where Hird accepted full responsibility, has Hird accepted any at all.

It is clearly an orchestrated campaign to get back at AD and the AFL. If the Bombers weren't such a big club and if AD and the AFL weren't scared of Court, one can only imagine what would happen.

I think Redleg has summed it up nicely. I suspect if it wasn't for the fear of AD being exposed as having tipped-off Essendon (resulting in the 'self-reporting'), the AFL and AD would not be putting up with Hird's and his mates' behaviour.

What has been glossed over is the appalling arrogance of Essendon in all of this.

Hird is banned for a year but on the day of the ban they extend his contract. Now it appears they are paying him.

Hird and Essendon deserve each other. Essendon is doing everything it can to hurt the AFL and are hurting its brand. Shocking stuff.

What has been glossed over is the appalling arrogance of Essendon in all of this.

Hird is banned for a year but on the day of the ban they extend his contract. Now it appears they are paying him.

Hird and Essendon deserve each other. Essendon is doing everything it can to hurt the AFL and are hurting its brand. Shocking stuff.

Yes, and I hope that they end up hurting their own brand, because all I can see that will come of their belligerence is the 'punishment' of not paying $1m to The Most Arrogant Man In Football.

Agree, the Hirds behaviour is incredible. Everything they've done is about protecting themselves at any cost.

Demetriou may well have tipped Essendon off, which if proven will land him in a lot of hot water - but why would he do this - to try to protect the AFL and Essendon, really at his own risk. Now as Sue points out Essendon, the Hirds and Bruce Reid appear to be using this as leverage.

I expect this whole saga will bring down AD and continue to significantly damage the AFL. I really would prefer that Essendon players aren't sanctioned because I believe they were mislead, but it appears thats what it will take to make Hird et al pay and I do want to see that.

Agree, the Hirds behaviour is incredible. Everything they've done is about protecting themselves at any cost.

Demetriou may well have tipped Essendon off, which if proven will land him in a lot of hot water - but why would he do this - to try to protect the AFL and Essendon, really at his own risk. Now as Sue points out Essendon, the Hirds and Bruce Reid appear to be using this as leverage.

I expect this whole saga will bring down AD and continue to significantly damage the AFL. I really would prefer that Essendon players aren't sanctioned because I believe they were mislead, but it appears thats what it will take to make Hird et al pay and I do want to see that.

The players are grown men and should be punished but, really, the only punishment of Hird will be the continuation of pressure on him until he loses his credibility and his job.

Anyone having any doubt about Hird only has to see where his interest is. It's him. The only time I've heard him mention the players welfare is when the penalties were handed down but that was clearly a PR strategy. He's worried about himself, not the players and the fact that Essendon is continuing to support him is a slight on the players. It surprises me that they have stuck around.

I too hope the players get off. I don't believe that as a group or as individuals they knowingly took banned substances and in fact it seems to me very likely they were told it was all ok. They are professionals relying on professions and were duped. What are they supposed to do, send a sample of each drug away for testing. When I take a prescription medicine I trust my doctor and pharmacist to provide the right thing. The Essendon players deserve the same protection.

Those wanting the players punished aren't seeing things clearly IMO. But Hird and the Essendon Board should never see the inside of a football club again.

Anyone having any doubt about Hird only has to see where his interest is. It's him. The only time I've heard him mention the players welfare is when the penalties were handed down but that was clearly a PR strategy. He's worried about himself, not the players and the fact that Essendon is continuing to support him is a slight on the players. It surprises me that they have stuck around.

I too hope the players get off. I don't believe that as a group or as individuals they knowingly took banned substances and in fact it seems to me very likely they were told it was all ok. They are professionals relying on professions and were duped. What are they supposed to do, send a sample of each drug away for testing. When I take a prescription medicine I trust my doctor and pharmacist to provide the right thing. The Essendon players deserve the same protection.

Those wanting the players punished aren't seeing things clearly IMO. But Hird and the Essendon Board should never see the inside of a football club again.

Well we may as well allow drugs in the AFL as all a player needs to do is claim they had no idea what was given to them.

OMG is that an allowable defense, the war on drug cheats is over and may no mistake the cheats have won.

Surely Zero tolerance to drugs is the only way?

Demetriou may well have tipped Essendon off............. - to try to protect the AFL and Essendon, really at his own risk.

It is surprising that this aspect hasn't been given a run in the media by the anti-Hird camp. Presumably because it is predicated on AD having 'illegally' tipped them off. He may have expected a bit of gratitude for foolishly tipping-off Essendon; he must be sadly disappointed.

But I doubt if anyone believes he didn't tip them off, given the admission that he spoke to Essendon after the ASADA briefing but just didn't name the club which was being investigated. And as far as I'm aware, he didn't ring up the other 17 clubs to tell them the same story.

It is surprising that this aspect hasn't been given a run in the media by the anti-Hird camp. Presumably because it is predicated on AD having 'illegally' tipped them off. He may have expected a bit of gratitude for foolishly tipping-off Essendon; he must be sadly disappointed.

But I doubt if anyone believes he didn't tip them off, given the admission that he spoke to Essendon after the ASADA briefing but just didn't name the club which was being investigated. And as far as I'm aware, he didn't ring up the other 17 clubs to tell them the same story.

Agreed - next day Essendon self-reports.

I have changed my opinion on the players. they knew very well that they were involved in a dangerous game when they were briefed and signed the waivers. They were told at that time the were on the fence and as professionals should have taken responsibility for what went into their veins.

IMO they clearly were negligent in relying on Hird and co to advise them and should have made their own enquiries to ASADA.

They now deserve everything that Saad as had to cop, their situation is almost identical except the products were supplied through the club rather than through a retailer.

Hird is a self centred egotisical nasty peice of work and should be removed fro the AFL industry immediately as should Thompson, Little and anyone else at the Essendon FC who have presided over this tragedy.

I didn't know that AD is a lawyer.

He's not I got it wrong, sorry.

Andrew has both a Bachelor of Arts and a Diploma of Education from La Trobe University in Melbourne. Following his graduation, he was a senior teacher of legal studies and politics at Trinity Grammar School in Melbourne's East from 1984 to 1986. From there he moved to the Technical and Further Educat

They now deserve everything that Saad as had to cop, their situation is almost identical except the products were supplied through the club rather than through a retailer.

Yes, it's a valid position. I think there is a great deal of difference between a player taking a supplement provided by a friend and a player taking a supplement provided by their employers and being told it's legal. That's why I believe the players should not be punished.

I can't believe that a group of professional sportsmen would put their futures at risk in the situation that existed at Essendon.

What is even more astounding is that the player managers and parents didn't raise this issue well before it became public. Really astounding.

Agree specifically with Reds post and much of others. Whole thing is deplorable and to me only cements the guilt of Demetriou in this mucky episode and the hypocrisy of the AFL in general.

This dam wont hold forever as fissures are already evident.

Either Hird's missus is a little ignorant of all proceedings or shes despicably arrogant and culpable in full knowledge.

Going to all blow up soon I suspect. Grab a seat.

Agree specifically with Reds post and much of others. Whole thing is deplorable and to me only cements the guilt of Demetriou in this mucky episode and the hypocrisy of the AFL in general.

It's not about Demetriou - he's going to be collateral damage in this whole affair.

Yes, it's a valid position. I think there is a great deal of difference between a player taking a supplement provided by a friend and a player taking a supplement provided by their employers and being told it's legal. That's why I believe the players should not be punished.

I can't believe that a group of professional sportsmen would put their futures at risk in the situation that existed at Essendon.

What is even more astounding is that the player managers and parents didn't raise this issue well before it became public. Really astounding.

You could argue the Bombers playes were more culpable because they were told when signing the waivers that they were sailing close the wind. They should have responded and acted then rather than blindly followng the direction of the club and its officials. Lets be clear they were eing advised by Dank and the weapon who had joined the club that year. Its clear that not everyone at Essendon was onboard. IMO they were negligen. The only mitigating factor IMO is the culture of "what ever it takes' that Hird instigated and that is why he should be sacked.

So as long as a professional athlete plays ignorant - he can do what he likes?

'Don't tell me what you're doing, as long as you say it's fine doc, I am sweet.'

Plausible deniability is not what we are going for in a post Lance Armstrong sporting landscape.