Training - Monday 4th February, 2013

Slartibartfast

I really don't get some of the posters in here - anyone familiar with me will know that I am often one of the biggest pessimists around, but with all the things to be down on at the club right now, Watts isn't one of them. The bloke is an exceptional athlete who makes the right decision and uses it well nearly every time he gets his hands on it, which is the 3rd highest amount of time for anyone in the side. He is still 21 and clearly has suffered from being part of an awful side. If he was at a top4 club he would be looking like a genuine star

• Like 8

I really don't get some of the posters in here - anyone familiar with me will know that I am often one of the biggest pessimists around, but with all the things to be down on at the club right now, Watts isn't one of them. The bloke is an exceptional athlete who makes the right decision and uses it well nearly every time he gets his hands on it, which is the 3rd highest amount of time for anyone in the side. He is still 21 and clearly has suffered from being part of an awful side. If he was at a top4 club he would be looking like a genuine star

But he's not 110kg, and he doesn't look angry all the time, and he hasn't beaten Chuck Norris in a fight.. That's what's important you know...

The unparalleled hammering that Watts has gotten from all corners since his debut against Collingwood, will, in a strange twist, work to his favour this season and beyond.

He says he hasn't paid any attention to what those outside the inner sanctum of the club have said about him, which I don't believe for a moment. I'm sure he would've glanced at the occasional article questioning his worth as a number 1 pick, and I'm sure as an 18/19 year old it would've hurt.

The effect this has all had is that it has turned him into an underdog of sorts, and as cliche as it might sound, Australian sport fans love an underdog story. I've heard many a non-Dees fan talk about how they want to see Watts take his game to another level, just to stick up all the naysayers.

When/if he does take that step, don't be surprised when it's not just Melbourne fans cheering him on. He's bound to feel that support.

Very excited to see what he produces this year.

• Like 3

Binman, please settle down.

More important than Howe, Jones, McDonald, Clark, Viney, Frawley, Dawes, Garland, etc?

I don't think so...

Binman, please settle down.

More important than Howe, Jones, McDonald, Clark, Viney, Frawley, Dawes, Garland, etc?

I don't think so...

He was just expressing an opinion. He is entitled to that. What's more he could be spot on! I too feel Jack will have a breakout year. He has too much talent for it not to happen.

• Like 1

Might interest some people to know that (according to the 2012 prospectus) 13 other teams averaged more turnovers then us per match.......

Thats cos they got it more

The unparalleled hammering that Watts has gotten from all corners since his debut against Collingwood, will, in a strange twist, work to his favour this season and beyond.

He says he hasn't paid any attention to what those outside the inner sanctum of the club have said about him, which I don't believe for a moment. I'm sure he would've glanced at the occasional article questioning his worth as a number 1 pick, and I'm sure as an 18/19 year old it would've hurt.

The effect this has all had is that it has turned him into an underdog of sorts, and as cliche as it might sound, Australian sport fans love an underdog story. I've heard many a non-Dees fan talk about how they want to see Watts take his game to another level, just to stick up all the naysayers.

When/if he does take that step, don't be surprised when it's not just Melbourne fans cheering him on. He's bound to feel that support.

Very excited to see what he produces this year.

DOn't hear the same about Jonathan Patton or Matthew Kruezer or Tom Scully....all number 1 picks..

I know that.

And I've expressed mine.

It's been a good discussion.

JW is a disappointment.

Having an opinion is one thing. Repeating it ad infinitum is boring. We get you don't like Watts. You must have said words to that effect in over 100 posts.

But he is one of our players and you should support him.

• Like 4

But he's not 110kg, and he doesn't look angry all the time, and he hasn't beaten Chuck Norris in a fight.. That's what's important you know...

Why be disingenuous ? The issues in Watts' game is clear, which is why he was dropped to Casey in his 4th year and why he's been shunted to a half-back flank even though he was considered the best key forward prospect in the country when he was drafted. It's attitudes like yours and C&B, who considers him a borderline star, that makes me continue to post about him.

I get that you and others are all starry eyed about him, but some supporters don't wear pink goggles.

Why be disingenuous ? The issues in Watts' game is clear, which is why he was dropped to Casey in his 4th year and why he's been shunted to a half-back flank even though he was considered the best key forward prospect in the country when he was drafted. It's attitudes like yours and C&B, who considers him a borderline star, that makes me continue to post about him.

I get that you and others are all starry eyed about him, but some supporters don't wear pink goggles.

Hey BH it is not attitudes but opinions, to be disingenuous we would not have the opinion of JW that we have and were just posting to stir.....unless your definition of disingenuous is "not agree with BH, so is definitely wrong"

Hey BH it is not attitudes but opinions, to be disingenuous we would not have the opinion of JW that we have and were just posting to stir.....unless your definition of disingenuous is "not agree with BH, so is definitely wrong"

"But he's not 110kg, and he doesn't look angry all the time, and he hasn't beaten Chuck Norris in a fight".

If you don't think that the above statement is disingenuous then you don't understand its meaning.

• Like 1

"But he's not 110kg, and he doesn't look angry all the time, and he hasn't beaten Chuck Norris in a fight".

If you don't think that the above statement is disingenuous then you don't understand its meaning.

I would have gone for humourous rather than disingenuous......

Humourous -

is the tendency of particular cognitive experiences to provoke laughter and provide amusement.

Disingenuous -

1. Not noble; unbecoming true honor or dignity; mean; unworthy; fake or deceptive.

Edit trying to amend the pasting but would be disingenuous of me to claim that I am actually au fait with the process

Edited by Satyriconhome

You likened his play to how a woman would play for some time...

Having an opinion is one thing. Repeating it ad infinitum is boring. We get you don't like Watts. You must have said words to that effect in over 100 posts.

But he is one of our players and you should support him.

And I've read 100 posts about his star qualities - that, to me, is inherently boring and blind faith.

I'm not sure that JW will survive the new culture that the coaching panel are bringing to this team.

I support the changes.

The kid has skills, there is no doubt about that.

But I still have the memory of JW stepping aside from a woeful kick down back, to only avoid physical contact and have the opposition player kick a goal.

Forgotten what game that was last year (as all 2012 games seemed the same), but that must have replayed it about 5 times on TV showing the future players of AFL at home, this is what your should NEVER do in a game. Stand your ground.

I think till I see he can stand his ground, I 'm still not sold on the new Watts.

DOn't hear the same about Jonathan Patton or Matthew Kruezer or Tom Scully....all number 1 picks..

None have come under the same scrutiny other than Scully, but that is largely due to him being the million dollar man. He and Patton are now out of the Melbourne bubble, and Kruezer has coasted along under the assumption he would come good (injuries, big men take longer, blah blah). Watts has been hammered by all n sundry from day dot. Go to an away match and he's the number one target.

You can debate how tough he is physically but mentally he has endured a career that few if any others have so early in their career. I think this will be to his ultimate benefit.

a. yes and I said along with that comment that no matter what happens in the future (which is now) it will still be a fact, and it was and is. You and some other mentally challenged folks around here don't seem to understand the nature of CHANGE - Cale Morton got 97 disposals in 3 weeks in his debut season, guess what the Morton of today has CHANGED. You don't have to stick to your guns over the course of years even though a situation has CHANGED and not recognizing that makes you a stubborn fool

b. where have I backtracked on his physicality anyway? - it's TRUE that is not an aspect of his game, it doesn't have to be. He has gotten better since his early days but he is still no tough guy, this is not debated.

Don't you understand that players who avoid difficult physical challenges and circumstances in footy get found out in finals ? When you have no time to react you do what comes naturally. It's why Josh Hunt has been embarrassed a few times in his career. But in the main Hunt has played with a vigour that Watts could only dream of.

Watts playing great footy at the G against ordinary sides will have many on here high fiving, but until he can do it regularly against the best and in finals he won't have convinced many observers, including yours truly.

• Like 1

I'm sure some of you lot would prefer watching a mature Watts in another jumper tearing us a new one.

I assume this is directed at me, but it couldn't be further from the truth. I've never advocated trading him and in his 5th year I want to see him dominating matches for the MFC.

I assume this is directed at me, but it couldn't be further from the truth. I've never advocated trading him and in his 5th year I want to see him dominating matches for the MFC.

You want a hulking full forward, it's not what we got in Watts but we still got a very good player. Stop being such a whinger.

You want a hulking full forward, it's not what we got in Watts but we still got a very good player. Stop being such a whinger.

I watched Watts play in the championships prior to drafting him and it was evident he'd never be a "hulking full forward". I certainly expected a Nick Riewoldt type forward, but alas Jack is a forward failure. You're happy about it and I'm not.

In the next phase of his career I'll be delighted if he dominates games from the back half. He needs to.

I watched Watts play in the championships prior to drafting him and it was evident he'd never be a "hulking full forward". I certainly expected a Nick Riewoldt type forward, but alas Jack is a forward failure. You're happy about it and I'm not.

In the next phase of his career I'll be delighted if he dominates games from the back half. He needs to.

No, I'm just happy we have a good player who may become great. I don't care if you class him as a "forward failure", I class him as a "football pass". Do you consider Tom McDonald a "ruck failure"? Fortunately for us, MFC are working on his football potential and skill and haven't just cut him because he's not Nick Riewoldt.