NHL Short Season

Cards13

Did any of you see the game-tying goal for Pittsburgh today that brought the game to OT? It came off an horrific deflection from an NYI defenseman. I have no idea what he was trying to do. Anyway Islanders, welcome to our world: Nabokov stinking it up in the playoffs after playing like a hero in the regular season.

Another big day of NHL action tomorrow. I'm sure we could all use the distraction from matters football.

Did any of you see the game-tying goal for Pittsburgh today that brought the game to OT? It came off an horrific deflection from an NYI defenseman. I have no idea what he was trying to do. Anyway Islanders, welcome to our world: Nabokov stinking it up in the playoffs after playing like a hero in the regular season.

Another big day of NHL action tomorrow. I'm sure we could all use the distraction from matters football.

Just had a look at it now ... it's about 2mins 30 secs into this highlight package ... only 5 mins to go in regulation too :unsure:

You'll find out who you're playing after tomorrow's games. That Detroit @ Anaheim game is on Fox3 from Noon.

Edited by Macca

Leafs win! Game 7 is tomorrow night (Tuesday AM in Oz) in Boston. The winner will play the winner of NYR and WAS, also being played tomorrow night.

All at stake tomorrow hey ... done very well to get back into the series GTG ... on Fox1 here in Oz at 9am. The Bruins fans will be on edge - especially if Toronto can score the 1st goal. I'll be tuning in.

Rangers fan checking in here. hopefully they can get up in game 7 to win the series

Same deal for you dd, your game is on at 10am (though not on cable, unfortunately) This series was the hardest to pick and it's no surprise that it's gone to 7 games.

Good luck GTG and Dave! Hockey game 7s are the definition of intense.

I was happy to see Detroit get up today so that we can avoid Chicago in the second round. Bring on LA!

That will be a good series with the Kings. Is there a rivalry with LA? Read somewhere that the teams went 2 and 2 in the regular season so it could go to at least 6 games.

Edited by Macca

Look, there's always a bit of NorCal-SoCal angst in pro sports over there. I went to a Sharks game at Staples in the 08/09 season and let's just say I probably should have left the Sharks jersey at home!! No, it wasn't too bad, and there were heaps of San Jose fans there. Seriously, I'd say upwards of 1000, and I'd expect good support there this series. I had the good fortune of sitting next to and in front of a large group of Sharks fans on the night so I was able to get into it without fear of reprisal.

We've only met once before in the playoffs, two years ago when we beat them 4-2, including Game 3 in which we beat them 6-5 in OT after trailing 4-0 - one of our greatest ever games. Rivalries will intensify with frequent playoff meetings, and this coupled with the geography of the teams should add to what should be a great series. Both teams are very good too, and neither will fear the other. It's shaping as the early pick of the second round series.

I think that I might be the jinx responsible for the failures of the Dees, Blue Jays and Maple Leafs. Maybe I should give up following sports...

I listened to the a fair bit of the game live and watched the 3rd period again. So close but that can happen in Hockey. It's a bit like soccer that way - I've seen 2 late goals happen a bit.

The horror.

Yeah, saw the highlights. Hope your series doesn't go the way of GTG's.

Those last minute losses are annoying.

Rangers over the Capitals 5-0 to take the series!

Your blokes had their chances today. This series against the Bruins could go to 7 games.

Rangers need to win game 2 though.

Flop yes. 2-2 headed back to LA. Should really be leading the series but its a best of three now and I fancy our chances of winning one in LA. Just need to take care of business at home in Game 6 as well. Dominant performance from Thornton today.

Expect the Kings to throw everything but the kitchen sink in Game 5.

Flop yes. 2-2 headed back to LA. Should really be leading the series but its a best of three now and I fancy our chances of winning one in LA. Just need to take care of business at home in Game 6 as well. Dominant performance from Thornton today.

Expect the Kings to throw everything but the kitchen sink in Game 5.

Yeah, saw the highlights. You're right in it now.

The Red Wings have surprised. Next one at home for them. Might be a case of whoever wins the next game, wins the series (which could also be the case in the LA/Sharks series)

Boston look all but home in the East and the Penguins should win their series. They shouldn't have dropped game 3 though.

San Jose extend the series to 7 games. ... highlights

The Bruins and Pens are through whilst Chicago and Detroit go at it tomorrow (the Red Wings lead 3-2)

That Boston/Pittsburgh series should be a beauty.

Red Wings and Chicago go at it today in game 7. The Blackhawks have come from 3-1 down and the final match is on home ice. Winner plays LA in the Western conference final. Bad luck to San Jose who made it a great series.

Game 1 of the Boston/Pittsburgh Eastern conference final series starts on Sunday (our time)

Alas, it was not meant to be. Quick just played ridiculously all series and if he keeps it up (which he should - he's the best goaltender around) I don't see them getting beaten. We lost the series in the final two minutes of Game 2, but it's not a series to sit and cry over. We played as well as we could against another great side and came up just short in a series as close as you could get. Next year.

• Like 1

Alas, it was not meant to be. Quick just played ridiculously all series and if he keeps it up (which he should - he's the best goaltender around) I don't see them getting beaten. We lost the series in the final two minutes of Game 2, but it's not a series to sit and cry over. We played as well as we could against another great side and came up just short in a series as close as you could get. Next year.

The Kings are definitely a team that plays their best hockey in the Spring. They'll be dangerous... I can easily see them hoisting the cup at the end of all this.

Detroit and Chicago are currently tied 1-1 in the 3rd.

I think Pittsburgh will easily account for the Bruins, and if anyone is going to beat the Pens, their goalie will have to steal a few games. I think Quick and Howard are both more than capable of doing this, but I'd put my money on the Kings knocking off the Wings (if they make it). I can't see Chicago getting past Pittsburgh.

Interesting. I'd be very surprised if one of the East teams wins the cup. The Penguins goaltending situation is horrendous: Fleury is a joke and as soon as Vokoun or whoever else they have gets lit up in one game they'll have a goaltending controversy on their hands in the ECF or Finals. I'll pick Kings over Chicago in 6, Bruins over Penguins in 6, and Kings over Bruins in 5.

O/T win to the Blackhawks in game 7. I reckon they might carry that momentum into the LA series. Could go either way though, same as the Boston/Pittsburgh series. At least 6 games in each series with the Pens and Chicago getting through.

... Today's highlights