• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

NHL Short Season

Cards13

Some interesting match-ups in the playoffs which start on Wednesday (oz time)

Here's my tips (for what it's worth)

Winners in caps

CHICAGO vs Minnesota

St Louis vs LOS ANGELES

ANAHEIM vs Detroit

BOSTON vs Toronto (grrrrr says GTG)

PITTSBURGH vs NY Islanders

VANCOUVER vs San Jose (grrrrr says pantaloons)

MONTREAL vs Ottowa

Washington vs NY RANGERS

As usual, I will probably mozz at least 6 teams including my own team, the Canucks.

My tip for the Stanley Cup is a boring one - I reckon the Blackhawks will be too good for Pittsburgh in the final but obviously hoping that Vancouver can go all the way.

The LA / St Louis series should be a beauty whilst Washington and the Rangers have hit good form. That's another good match-up.

Unfortunately I have to agree that Boston will be much too strong for the Leafs. They seem to be the team that we always struggle against.

Here's my picks:

Minnesota v Chicago--> Chicago in 6

Detroit v Anaheim--> Detroit in 7

San Jose v Vancouver--> Vancouver in 6

Los Angeles v St Louis--> St Louis in 7

New York Islanders v Pittsburgh--> Pittsburgh in 5

Ottawa v Montreal--> Ottawa in 7

New York Rangers v Washington--> New York Rangers in 6

Toronto v Boston--> Boston in 5 :'(

Pittsburgh to win it all.

Unfortunately I have to agree that Boston will be much too strong for the Leafs. They seem to be the team that we always struggle against.

Here's my picks:

Minnesota v Chicago--> Chicago in 6

Detroit v Anaheim--> Detroit in 7

San Jose v Vancouver--> Vancouver in 6

Los Angeles v St Louis--> St Louis in 7

New York Islanders v Pittsburgh--> Pittsburgh in 5

Ottawa v Montreal--> Ottawa in 7

New York Rangers v Washington--> New York Rangers in 6

Toronto v Boston--> Boston in 5 :'(

Pittsburgh to win it all.

I hope for your sake the Maple Leafs win. The City would have to be fairly excited about making the play-offs after a bit of a drought. I'm expecting a few upsets in the 1st round and Boston can be beaten.

I basically picked most of the favourites but not with any sort of confidence. That Ottawa / Montreal series is another good match-up. Had a look at the schedule and they've staggered the games quite well. I've managed to find the radio broadcast of most of the teams so will tune in when possible. Otherwise cable are covering a number of games in oz.

Good luck.

Edited by Macca

I hope for your sake the Maple Leafs win. The City would have to be fairly excited about making the play-offs after a bit of a drought. I'm expecting a few upsets in the 1st round and Boston can be beaten.

I basically picked most of the favourites but not with any sort of confidence. That Ottowa / Montreal series is another good match-up. Had a look at the schedule and they've staggered the games quite well. I've managed to find the radio broadcast of most of the teams so will tune in when possible. Otherwise cable are covering a number of games in oz.

Good luck.

I saw today that Boston are 11-1-1 in their last 13 home games against the Leafs; I'm not very optimistic about this one, and that's coming from a guy who thinks the Dees have a chance every week.

This is a pretty good site that will stream all the games for free, if you're interested: http://atdhe.eu/

• Like 1

Nice work, gentlemen. I won't pick the east because I haven't seen any of their games this season. I'll pick the Blackhawks in 4, Redwings in 6, Sharks in 6 and Kings in 7. Chicago is an easy pick but the other three are a toss of the coin. I watched almost all of San Jose's games this season and in our games against Vancouver we were certainly the better side. Anything can happen in the playoffs, though this time around we look to have the hot goaltender in the matchup. Kings-Blues could be the best matchup of the entire playoffs.

Nothing beats the Stanley Cup playoffs.

Oh, and no "grrrr" from me, Macca. I should know better than to pick the Sharks in the playoffs! I'm just trying to be objective and go on what I saw this season. SJ's main issue will be giveaways - too careless with the puck.

Edited by pantaloons

The Sharks go one up in Vancouver ... that's 4 from 4 now including the shortened season. Could have been worse without Luongo's efforts. The Penguins looking ominous and those Bruins were just too good again, GTG.

Blackhawks and Anaheim started with wins and the St Louis / LA series is shaping up as a classic.

... NY Islanders @ Pittsburgh game 1 highlights

Yes, it was a very professional start to the playoffs from San Jose. Vancouver went extra hard at the man all night. That's natural in the playoffs and they are a particularly physical/goonish team, but if they continue to play that way they'll be parading to the penalty box all series. Great performance from Niemi. I think we'll go down tomorrow but are in good shape.

Horrid incident halfway through the Habs-Sens game today with a borderline hit on Eller saw him smack his face on the ice and empty the sauce bottle. Ugly. More great games in the West today too.

Edited by pantaloons

Today's Anaheim vs Detroit game was a beauty ... highlights

St Louis go 2 up and now it's back to LA for the next 2 games.

Ottawa and the Capitals start off with wins and this was the latest news with regards to Lars Eller ...

The Canadiens said after the game that Eller, who was taken off on a stretcher, suffered a concussion, plus facial and dental fractures, and would spend the night in hospital.

Edited by Macca

Gryba has been given a two-game suspension for the hit. Meanwhile, no suspension for Bieksa after he speared Havlat in the plums, putting him out for the rest of game 1, and today's game. No return date for him yet. I hope we finish them off quickly or we'll be running low on available players by the end of the series.

I should add that I'm always conservative when it comes to suspensions in any sport and often hate to see them given, but deliberately hitting someone in the crotch with your stick is not a hockey play. With Havlat out today I'd like to think there could be some justice for Bieksa.

Edited by pantaloons
  • Like 1

Maybe it's a case of what goes around, comes around ^_^

... Martin Havlat suspended five games for kicking Hal Gill to the groin

I did see Canucks fans bringing that up. Dirty dog Bieksa took a penalty for another cheap shot today.

Huge win for the Sharks in OT today. We were outplayed in periods 2 and 3 and had a goal disallowed in the second, but stuck with it and Marleau tied it in the final minute. Just thrilling stuff. Phew.

The Blackhawks are gonna be hard to stop. Another emphatic win today over Minnesota ... Highlights

The Penguins slipped up after leading 3-1 over the Islanders. Back to Long Island now for the next 2 games.

Yes, the Blackhawks will be tough to beat, but I wouldn't base anything on their current series. Minnesota aren't going to give Chicago an honest run for their money in the first round. But yes, if we are going to make it out of the West, we will have to not only get past Vancouver, but then Chicago and St Louis/LA, who I'd say are the second and third best teams in the West. Tall order, and an unlikely one. Not unbeatable Chicago though.

Here's the highlights of that come from behind win by the Islanders. Crosby scored twice in his comeback game for the Penguins but it wasn't enough. Strangely enough, the Islanders went 14-6-4 on the road in the regular season. Not too bad for an 8 seed. They'll need to win 1 of the next 2 at home to stay in the series you'd reckon. Pittsburgh went 18-6-0 on the road :)

4 games tomorrow with the most pressure being on the Kings. The Rangers and Maple Leafs won't want to fall 2 down. Anaheim dropped a game at home so they'll need to get at least 1 win out of the next 2 at Detroit. Being down 3-0 or 3-1 usually spells doom although in the NHL, there's more come from behind series wins than in the NBA.

Edited by Macca

... Rangers/Capitals game 2 highlights

The Maple Leafs get on the board in Boston. Will post highlights when they are up. Looks like it was quite a tense game going by the sequence of goals. Back in Toronto for the next 2 games. Feeling confident GTG?

LA are 1-0 up, half way through the 2nd period vs St Louis ... a must win for the Kings.

Edit: Toronto/Boston game 2 highlights

Edited by Macca

The less said about the Canucks, the better. Getting outclassed against San Jose and the 'Roughhouse' tactics clearly aren't working :) It will take a miracle now. Minnesota got 1 back and Pittsburgh won a thriller at the Islanders.

Speaking of roughhouse tactics, things got a little out of hand in Ottawa today (the Senators won the game 6-1) Game 4 could be interesting ...

Edited by Macca

That was just a great exhibition from San Jose today. I was thinking after 2 periods with a 2-1 lead that San Jose had already put on the best game by either team in the series, and it ballooned from there. I know Vancouver notoriously play a physical style with their current roster, but it's been embarrassing this series. The sooner this ends the better for everyone concerned.

Here's the highlights from that Pittsburgh @ NY Islanders game. The Penguins now lead that series 2-1.

For those with cable, Fox3 are screening game 3 of the Maple Leafs/Bruins series from 9am tomorrow (the game is in Toronto)

That was just a great exhibition from San Jose today. I was thinking after 2 periods with a 2-1 lead that San Jose had already put on the best game by either team in the series, and it ballooned from there. I know Vancouver notoriously play a physical style with their current roster, but it's been embarrassing this series. The sooner this ends the better for everyone concerned.

Too good for my blokes! That 4-0 result gives the Sharks a good rest up - is that always an advantage?

You got one win today and the footy rumour could deliver you a 2nd win, pantaloons. Ya never know hey ...

Assuming the Blackhawks get through, do they play the lowest seeded 1st round winner in the 2nd round? Detroit (the 7 seed) may yet get through which would make things interesting.

See the Islanders won again today as well. They won't go away easily.

Macca, I'm sorry! I forgot you were Vancouver! I hope I haven't been too insolent during the series! Usually when a sweep happens in the NBA playoffs, it's a decent reflection of the series, but often in the NHL you can get these results and they don't accurately reflect what has gone on. I thought we played very well, especially at key moments, but 4-0 is a harsh scoreline for the Nucks. They really have to get the penalties out of their system next season. Their 5 on 5 play was fine, but you can't win if you're spending that much time in the penalty box, especially if the other team has effective special teams. Anyway, better luck next season, mate. I sympathise given we've also had our fair share of playoff horror.

Macca, I'm sorry! I forgot you were Vancouver! I hope I haven't been too insolent during the series! Usually when a sweep happens in the NBA playoffs, it's a decent reflection of the series, but often in the NHL you can get these results and they don't accurately reflect what has gone on. I thought we played very well, especially at key moments, but 4-0 is a harsh scoreline for the Nucks. They really have to get the penalties out of their system next season. Their 5 on 5 play was fine, but you can't win if you're spending that much time in the penalty box, especially if the other team has effective special teams. Anyway, better luck next season, mate. I sympathise given we've also had our fair share of playoff horror.

I had a listen to the game today and even though we led with 5 mins to go, I had an uneasy feeling. You, Cards and GTG are probably a lot more fanatical than myself on your teams. Just like the NBA, I tend to follow the sport more than the team. My grief in losing is largely reserved for our Demons! With the Hockey and the Hoops, I'm a lot more interested during the playoffs.

Fairly sure that if the Blackhawks get through they will play the lowest seeded 1st round winner. At this stage it's your Sharks but if the Red Wings (seeded 7) knock off Anaheim, Chicago will play Detroit (classic match-up) and San Jose will play the winner of the St Louis/LA series. Think it works out that way.

Anyway, In the other conference, Ottawa now lead 3-1 over Montreal but the other 3 series are still up for grabs. Here's the highlights from today's Pittsburgh @ NY Islanders game 4.

Edited by Macca

That's correct. They reseed after each round. I'm hoping that Detroit wins that series so we play the winner of STL/LA instead of Chicago next. Either way, we will start underdogs and will almost certainly have to beat Chicago AND one of STL/LA to make the Finals, but I'd like Chicago to be in a more battered state when we play them. Whoever limps out of the LA series is going to be ripe for a home loss or two at the beginning of their next series.

That Pittsburgh series is another good one. Some of the goals Fleury lets through are just comical.

Ottawa and the Blackhawks are through to the 2nd round after both won comprehensively today. The Penguins won as well and now lead 3-2 over the Islanders.

The Senators are playing very well at the right time of the year and they are scoring well above their season average. Here's the highlights of their game 5 win over Montreal. They will play the Pens in the next round if Pittsburgh get through.

For those with cable, Fox3 are covering game 5 between Toronto and Boston tomorrow from 9am.

Edited by Macca

Leafs pick up another win in Boston! I think this one will go 7, but Boston will come out on top. Every game tonight was great; Anaheim came back from a 3-1 third period deficit to force overtime, but the Red Wings managed to come away with the win. Washington beat the Rangers in another overtime game on a goal from Ribeiro (can't stand him).

Sorry about your Canucks, Macca. I'm sure you'll have the Leafs as company soon enough.

I'm disappointed to see Ottawa go through...their fans are unbearable!

Leafs pick up another win in Boston! I think this one will go 7, but Boston will come out on top. Every game tonight was great; Anaheim came back from a 3-1 third period deficit to force overtime, but the Red Wings managed to come away with the win. Washington beat the Rangers in another overtime game on a goal from Ribeiro (can't stand him).

Sorry about your Canucks, Macca. I'm sure you'll have the Leafs as company soon enough.

I'm disappointed to see Ottawa go through...their fans are unbearable!

Canucks not good enough. Clean sweep for the Sharks. Maybe it's their time. San Jose will play the Blackhawks or LA but they are well rested and anything can happen in playoff hockey. LA went 4 from 4 in the end so they're obviously dangerous. Detroit may surprise and it would be terrific to see them match up with Chicago.

Big crowds outside of Toronto's stadium hey? That was a good win in Boston today by your blokes. Next one at home so ya never know. We're getting a number of games on cable over here which is great. Game 6 of the Pens/Islanders is on tomorrow from 9am. There's nothing in that Rangers/Capitals series either - could go either way.

Are Ottawa the real deal? Their record in getting to the playoffs in the last 15 years is excellent. Only 1 Stanley cup final showing in all those playoff appearances though. Are their fans comparable to Bomber fans ^_^

Here's the highlights of that Rangers/Capitals game today.