NHL Short Season

Cards13

Had a listen to the end of a couple of games today . The Canucks win a shoot-out over Calgary and Toronto had a good win in Pittsburgh.

They love their Hockey in Canada . Edmonton Oilers playing to packed houses even though they have been a terribly performed team of late. Went there years ago as part of a West Coast tour.

Like following the fortunes of a few teams. Hockey doesn't get much of a run on Sportscenter - more's the pity.

By the way, I bought NHL Gamecenter for just $50 for the shortened regular season. Worth looking into if you want to see some NHL action. Visit the NHL site and access from there.

Also, I don't know if it's been mentioned on here, but there's a USA v Canada hockey game at Hisense Arena on June 15 this year. Tickets start at $80. I got mine a month ago but I'm pretty sure there are tickets still available. It'll be interesting to see who comes to play though, considering the Stanley Cup Finals will still be on. I doubt anyone from one of the final four teams will be coming to play.

And Macca, great effort getting to Edmonton!! I have friends who live there but I still couldn't muster up the effort to get there when I visited the States last year. Flights to Edmonton from anywhere in North America are obscenely expensive.

By the way, I bought NHL Gamecenter for just $50 for the shortened regular season. Worth looking into if you want to see some NHL action. Visit the NHL site and access from there.

Also, I don't know if it's been mentioned on here, but there's a USA v Canada hockey game at Hisense Arena on June 15 this year. Tickets start at $80. I got mine a month ago but I'm pretty sure there are tickets still available. It'll be interesting to see who comes to play though, considering the Stanley Cup Finals will still be on. I doubt anyone from one of the final four teams will be coming to play.

And Macca, great effort getting to Edmonton!! I have friends who live there but I still couldn't muster up the effort to get there when I visited the States last year. Flights to Edmonton from anywhere in North America are obscenely expensive.

That's interesting re the USA/Canada game. Might make time for that. I know that there's a rink at Docklands and I'm fairly sure it hosted the 3rd or 4th tier World Cup a ways back.

Edmonton has a huge shopping complex. You've gotta do these things ^_^

Kamloops was a laugh. Remember spending a big night at the 'Ned Kelly' bar or roadhouse or such like. Think it was in Kamloops? Might have been Vancouver - anyway, the locals didn't know much about him and we spent the whole night telling stories of his deeds - a fair bit of embellishment went on. In true Aussie fashion we were the last to leave. Good folk over there and magnificent part of the world.

I'm finding myself being attracted to the various Canadian teams and some of the teams in the 'traditional' Hockey towns of the US. Vancouver is my team because I've got family over there but I'm not too fanatical. (unless 'Good Times Grimes' (Toronto) stirs me up then it's 'Game on'!) Hockey on the radio is fun - it's like listening to the footy in a way. Got Foxtel and the NHL site is very good so probably don't need the pass.(though it is great value)

Edited by Macca
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

That's interesting re the USA/Canada game. Might make time for that. I know that there's a rink at Docklands and I'm fairly sure it hosted the 3rd or 4th tier World Cup a ways back.

Edmonton has a huge shopping complex. You've gotta do these things ^_^

Kamloops was a laugh. Remember spending a big night at the 'Ned Kelly' bar or roadhouse or such like. Think it was in Kamloops? Might have been Vancouver - anyway, the locals didn't know much about him and we spent the whole night telling stories of his deeds - a fair bit of embellishment went on. In true Aussie fashion we were the last to leave. Good folk over there and magnificent part of the world.

I'm finding myself being attracted to the various Canadian teams and some of the teams in the 'traditional' Hockey towns of the US. Vancouver is my team because I've got family over there but I'm not too fanatical. (unless 'Good Times Grimes' (Toronto) stirs me up then it's 'Game on'!) Hockey on the radio is fun - it's like listening to the footy in a way. Got Foxtel and the NHL site is very good so probably don't need the pass.(though it is great value)

Just as long as you don't start following Ottawa or Montreal, I'll have no problems with it :-)

• Like 1

Just as long as you don't start following Ottawa or Montreal, I'll have no problems with it :-)

Well 'GTG', I've done a little reconnaissance work in the off season and have discovered (on very good authority) that the Maple Leafs are the 'Collingwood' of Canadian Hockey. Can you confirm or deny this? -_-

Even though it's still early days, Boston and Montreal have started well in your division and Toronto will need to get a move on if their going to feature in the Playoffs. Being a short season how many wins do you think it will take to make the post season?

p.s Those mighty Canucks are doing ok, so far ... (probably jinxed them now)

Edited by Macca

Well 'GTG', I've done a little reconnaissance work in the off season and have discovered (on very good authority) that the Maple Leafs are the 'Collingwood' of Canadian Hockey. Can you confirm or deny this? -_-

Even though it's still early days, Boston and Montreal have started well in your division and Toronto will need to get a move on if their going to feature in the Playoffs. Being a short season how many wins do you think it will take to make the post season?

p.s Those mighty Canucks are doing ok, so far ... (probably jinxed them now)

I deny it, I deny it!!

Well... we're the richest team in the NHL, however our fans have just as many teeth as the average person. If you watch a Leafs home game, the lower bowl is completely filled with business people who are "entertaining clients" at the games. It makes it a rather boring atmosphere, as the "fans" don't get as into the game as they do in cities like Calgary and Philadelphia.

It's always hard to say how many wins will get you into the playoffs, but I'd say that you'd need at least 55pts to qualify in the West, and probably 50 in the East.

Boston is always frustrating to watch... they're so damn good! It's nice to see Vancouver doing well again, I do have a bit of a soft spot for both them and Edmonton. The Canucks can only improve, especially when the Sedin Sisters inevitably turn it on. They've got an interesting situation in goal though, with Luongo pushing Schneider from the starting job and raising his trade value.

I deny it, I deny it!!

Well... we're the richest team in the NHL, however our fans have just as many teeth as the average person. If you watch a Leafs home game, the lower bowl is completely filled with business people who are "entertaining clients" at the games. It makes it a rather boring atmosphere, as the "fans" don't get as into the game as they do in cities like Calgary and Philadelphia.

It's always hard to say how many wins will get you into the playoffs, but I'd say that you'd need at least 55pts to qualify in the West, and probably 50 in the East.

Boston is always frustrating to watch... they're so damn good! It's nice to see Vancouver doing well again, I do have a bit of a soft spot for both them and Edmonton. The Canucks can only improve, especially when the Sedin Sisters inevitably turn it on. They've got an interesting situation in goal though, with Luongo pushing Schneider from the starting job and raising his trade value.

That is interesting with regards to Toronto being the richest NHL team. Might explain a few things ^_^ Suppose the corporates are throwing in the big bucks though you'd reckon they should have set aside an area close to the ice for the 'non corporate' fans.

The Canucks won again today and I see that the Maple Leafs beat Winepeg with a late goal. The Penguins and San Jose are doing well so far this season. The Blackhawks and Anaheim are another 2 teams who are performing well. What's the story with L.A?

Edited by Macca

• 3 weeks later...

The Blackhawks still haven't lost a game in 'regulation' time this season. (3 O/T losses)

Is this some sort of record?

It's the best start to a season in NHL history. I wonder how long they can keep it up for...

Well they're still going strong, amazing run. I see your Maple Leafs are gettin' up there. The Canucks and the Sharks are travelling ok although Anaheim continue to do well.

I hear that there was talk of another team out of Toronto - any truth in that? Is the League revamped next year? The only thing I know is that there will be 2 conferences - 16 teams in the East and 14 in the West with 2 divisions in each conference. Not sure where all the teams end up but apparently the Red Wings and the Blackhawks will be in different divisions. (they are bitter rivals, yeah?)

Finally the Avs have signed our leading scorer from last season (O'Rielly) who has sat out the entire season to date. We need the scores, 50 goals only.

Yeah, Colorado need to get a move on but they're not out of it. Next 2 games are against the Blackhawks. Can your blokes stop the streak? :)

Well they're still going strong, amazing run. I see your Maple Leafs are gettin' up there. The Canucks and the Sharks are travelling ok although Anaheim continue to do well.

I hear that there was talk of another team out of Toronto - any truth in that? Is the League revamped next year? The only thing I know is that there will be 2 conferences - 16 teams in the East and 14 in the West with 2 divisions in each conference. Not sure where all the teams end up but apparently the Red Wings and the Blackhawks will be in different divisions. (they are bitter rivals, yeah?)

Yeah, Colorado need to get a move on but they're not out of it. Next 2 games are against the Blackhawks. Can your blokes stop the streak? :)

THey scored the tiebreaker with 49 seconds left..... pppfffttttt

THey scored the tiebreaker with 49 seconds left..... pppfffttttt

Well, the Avalanche stopped the streak ! Game highlights ...

Edited by Macca

Did anyone else see this footage? Seriously, what the hell is going on?

I remember a few years ago the NBA had a promo line of "Where Magic Happens". I'm wondering whether this would be more appropriate for the NHL.

Did anyone else see this footage? Seriously, what the hell is going on?

I remember a few years ago the NBA had a promo line of "Where Magic Happens". I'm wondering whether this would be more appropriate for the NHL.

Ha ha ! It's frustrating trying to figure out where the Ref comes from ...

Anyways, welcome to the 'NHL Short Season' thread, JJ (As opposed to the 'NHL' thread !) Multiple Hockey threads, whooda - thunkit!

Get yourself a team and get on board! Sometimes the sport is better known as 'Violence on Ice' (for good reason!)

• 2 weeks later...

Great game last night between the Ducks and Blackhawks (who previously had a combined total of 5 regulation losses, while 21 other teams had more than 10 each). The Ducks came from behind to win it 4-2 and are now only 3pts back of Chicago with a game in hand.

The Leafs look to be up to their usual tricks, having lost 5 of their last 6. I can't say it was unexpected though. They're still 6th in the East, but I'd be surprised to see them qualify for the playoffs.

Great game last night between the Ducks and Blackhawks (who previously had a combined total of 5 regulation losses, while 21 other teams had more than 10 each). The Ducks came from behind to win it 4-2 and are now only 3pts back of Chicago with a game in hand.

The Leafs look to be up to their usual tricks, having lost 5 of their last 6. I can't say it was unexpected though. They're still 6th in the East, but I'd be surprised to see them qualify for the playoffs.

Make that 6 from 7 after today, GTG ^_^ The Canucks haven't been much better ... losing 6 from 8 until winning their last 2.

The Western conference is wide open with a stack of teams still in contention. The Sharks are making hard work of it and Cards team (the Avalanche) are gonna have to go on a sustained run of wins.

Anything can happen in this sport and as we well know, a team just has to qualify to have a chance. Be surprised if the Blackhawks and Anaheim don't figure prominently in the playoffs (they'll probably get knocked out in the 1st round now!). The Penguins, Boston and Montreal are travelling nicely as well (in the Eastern conference). The North East is a strong division.

Edited by Macca

• 4 weeks later...

Not long to go now till the playoffs ...

Canucks lost again but still in the 3 seed. San Jose's last 10 games have been good. Looks like your Maple Leafs should make it after all, GTG.

Good win today over Montreal ... Toronto vs Montreal highlights.

Edited by Macca
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Not long to go now till the playoffs ...

Canucks lost again but still in the 3 seed. San Jose's last 10 games have been good. Looks like your Maple Leafs should make it after all, GTG.

Good win today over Montreal ... Toronto vs Montreal highlights.

We're in! The longest current playoff drought is over! How about the Capitals? They've been surging lately...I wouldn't be at all surprised to see them go a long way in the East. Detroit is currently sitting outside the playoffs for the first time in most peoples' memories, while Columbus is clinging on to eighth with their lineup packed full of all stars *SARCASM*.

I really hope to see a Leafs-Canadiens first round matchup... it would make for an awesome series.

The East is almost settled, with Ottawa, New York Rangers and Winnipeg all battling for the last 2 spots.

In the West, it's between Minnesota, Columbus, Detroit and Dallas for the final 2 spots, but the Stars' hopes are fading fast.

We're in! The longest current playoff drought is over! How about the Capitals? They've been surging lately...I wouldn't be at all surprised to see them go a long way in the East. Detroit is currently sitting outside the playoffs for the first time in most peoples' memories, while Columbus is clinging on to eighth with their lineup packed full of all stars *SARCASM*.

I really hope to see a Leafs-Canadiens first round matchup... it would make for an awesome series.

The East is almost settled, with Ottawa, New York Rangers and Winnipeg all battling for the last 2 spots.

In the West, it's between Minnesota, Columbus, Detroit and Dallas for the final 2 spots, but the Stars' hopes are fading fast.

Right now watching LA @ Detroit on cable. Detroit leading 2-1 early in the 3rd period with the Red Wings with it all to play for. If they can snag the 8 seed it sets up a classic encounter against Chicago in the 1st round of the playoffs.

Looks like the Canucks will meet San Jose or St Louis in the 1st round.

Yeah, that Toronto / Montreal match-up would be a classic series.

Some interesting match-ups in the playoffs which start on Wednesday (oz time)

Here's my tips (for what it's worth)

Winners in caps

CHICAGO vs Minnesota

St Louis vs LOS ANGELES

ANAHEIM vs Detroit

BOSTON vs Toronto (grrrrr says GTG)

PITTSBURGH vs NY Islanders

VANCOUVER vs San Jose (grrrrr says pantaloons)

MONTREAL vs Ottawa

Washington vs NY RANGERS

As usual, I will probably mozz at least 6 teams including my own team, the Canucks.

My tip for the Stanley Cup is a boring one - I reckon the Blackhawks will be too good for Pittsburgh in the final but obviously hoping that Vancouver can go all the way.

The LA / St Louis series should be a beauty whilst Washington and the Rangers have hit good form. That's another good match-up.

Edited by Macca
  • Like 1