Joel Macdonald & Lynden Dunn Saved their Careers

ashdemons22

I think we need to/will cut or trade around 6-8 players

That doesn't add up. 6 is def not enough.

We've got 4 early picks. IMO we should use the next 3 picks after that. One or two mature agers. Then there is Magner, Nicholson, Evans. I think worthy upgrades. one may stay RL? We are clearly chasing a FA, maybe 2. A preseason draft pick as well?

See ya Dunn.

Edited by jacey

That doesn't add up. 6 is def not enough.

We've got 4 early picks. IMO we should use the next 3 picks after that. One or two mature agers. Then there is Magner, Nicholson, Evans. I think worthy upgrades. one may stay RL? We are clearly chasing a FA, maybe 2. A preseason draft pick as well?

See ya Dunn.

I'm not sure, but doesn't Rivers and Jamar going on to the vets list mean we can take 2 players extra in their spot? (Rookies?)

So really we're talking 10 spots available.

Joel I can see a place for as depth, Dunn potentially the same but I just think there comes a time when we have to say goodbye to him. He's shown bits and pieces in his career, I thought he would make it as a defensive forward, but has lacked in consistency for too long.

Joel can do some good things and some atrocious things. He's actually quite good at taking defensive marks, and has good endeavor, but some of his decision making and skills (or lack there of) has cost us goals.

Both not the first I would cull, but are in the mix.

I'm not sure, but doesn't Rivers and Jamar going on to the vets list mean we can take 2 players extra in their spot? (Rookies?)

One of them is negated by the loss of Green, so only one of them will contribute an extra spot on the list.

I cant find a source for it, but im sure the the vet list has been abolished, with lists moving from 38 to 40 players in 2013. There are still 'veterans' but they work differently now - you can have as many as you like, as long as they've had 10 years of service at your club, with something like $100k of their salaries being outside the cap (to help clubs keep their free agents).

Edit: here's a source. http://www.afl.com.au/tabid/208/default.aspx?newsid=127273 "Abolishment of the veterans' list, with primary lists extended from 38 to 40."

Edited by rhaz
  • Like 1

I wish they would release the CBA so we can get some certainty on that.

It certainly makes me reassess Rivers chances of being around next year as the only plus to him being a vet is financial.

For us, if it works as it is written in that article we already have 1 free spot lined up for 2013 due to the fact that we had 39 players on the primary list.

Edit: here's a source. http://www.afl.com.a...x?newsid=127273 "Abolishment of the veterans' list, with primary lists extended from 38 to 40."

Jeez I completely missed that one. I can't say I agree with that, for me it will encourage clubs to move older players on earlier than they would previously. Perhaps it may give some players a last chance at a club with finals prospects, but I would think it will mean a few older players are lost to the game prematurely.

Jeez I completely missed that one. I can't say I agree with that, for me it will encourage clubs to move older players on earlier than they would previously. Perhaps it may give some players a last chance at a club with finals prospects, but I would think it will mean a few older players are lost to the game prematurely.

I think it is better for clubs competing for flags as you can have as many vets as you like and pay them all $100k outside the cap, but yeah, for middling teams and teams on the bottom the Vets list was a refuge that has now been lost to the ages, a wise rule for a time now gone.

I think Dunn must get another contract. At least 1 year. He has been excellent for the last 8 weeks. His poor form previous to this was due to being moved all around the ground, unable to settle into one position.

I will be angry and it would be unfair if we did not reward his form. He is one of our best kicks.

And some hungry Jacks.

See, its true....... Hungry Jacks ARE better !!! ^_^

Joel Mac has definitely earned his spot on the list for another year. No one plays with more heart and his skill deficiencies have been much exaggerated. He often gets himself into good position only to be crucified by a poorly-executed pass from his team mates. I am much more nervous when Tommy Mc contemplates a foot or hand pass.

I would have Joel iin our 22 most weeks.

• Like 1

Ps I would also keep Bate over Dunn regardless of Dunn's last few weeks. His pointless posturing is just laughable.

Dunn deserves the spot over Bate on the basis of his last two years, not two weeks. Bate offers nothing - Dunn is a great utility who can play a variety of positions and do his job.

Lynden Dunn has deserved another year at least. He shows he wants the footy and the past few weeks, he has been amongst our best.

Joel Macdonald has the heart of the lion, competes well and can shut down an opponent. Skills and decision making are sometimes a concern but again should be retained.

Morton, Bate, Bennell, Petterd, Jetta, Spencer are all delistees before Dunn and Macdonald.

Yeah Joel Mac breaks my heart. He is everything the club needs in terms of endeavour and effort but is sadly lacking in skills. We can't have him, Barty, Dunne, Bail, Bate and Sellar on the one list.

I'd be surprised if we had all of them on the list next year. Four maybe, not all.

I think MacDonald has worked himself into a new contract and good on him for doing so.

I still wince when I think of Joel Mac, under no pressure, missing a stationary target by 20 metres against Brisbane. I thought he was finished as an AFL player. Neeld more or less put the challenge up to the fringe players in the second half of the year and he & Dunn have responded.

The spot is his until one of the young blokes makes it his own.

Just watched 'the coaches office' and it sounds like neeld is happy with the work dunn has done...er achieved since going to the backline and believes his prep work is 'first rate' so he is a good chance to stay.

No mention of j mac