Nuggets' Music Videos

Macca

2 minutes ago, rjay said:

Yes Zappa despite appearances was very anti drug.

A friend tells the story of some band members sneaking a smoke with him when they were in Melbourne in the 70's.

Yes, I’m not sure that the term is entirely correct, but Zappa was a bit of an anachronism… in that he had very conservative views, but at the same time was light years ahead of his time while being a man of his time. Zappa had all of the traits that you’d expect of a genius.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, rjay said:

Got to love Robert...

A friend of mine who we’ve stayed with in Pawling, lives just a few minutes away from Darryl’s House. I asked if he was going to see Fripp, but unfortunately, being the online presentation of Darryl’s House, it was a closed session.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, hardtack said:

A friend of mine who we’ve stayed with in Pawling, lives just a few minutes away from Darryl’s House. I asked if he was going to see Fripp, but unfortunately, being the online presentation of Darryl’s House, it was a closed session.

It would have been great to be a fly on the wall for that one...

Hope you are going ok mate.

Still in Sydney and playing in the band?

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, rjay said:

It would have been great to be a fly on the wall for that one...

Hope you are going ok mate.

Still in Sydney and playing in the band?

Yes, when we went and stayed at my friend’s place, we had just missed the opportunity to see Commander Cody, who performed there one week earlier.

As for me, the chemotherapy is a pretty rough ride with some pretty nasty side effects. An infection I got in a salivary gland hit me so hard that they had to cancel my chemo cycle I was about to start, and then made me an inpatient for 4 days. All is now good and I start back on my sixth fortnightly cycle of chemo next Monday.

Still in Sydney but music is not possible yet (one side effect being that it makes my voice very weak - I sound like the godfather being voiced by Elmer Fudd). I’m hoping they might give me an extended break from chemo early next year (lat Jan or early Feb), so I can take the band down to Melbourne for a couple of gigs and do other gigs on the way down and on the way back. Fingers crossed for that wish. 

• Love 3

11 minutes ago, hardtack said:

Yes, when we went and stayed at my friend’s place, we had just missed the opportunity to see Commander Cody, who performed there one week earlier.

As for me, the chemotherapy is a pretty rough ride with some pretty nasty side effects. An infection I got in a salivary gland hit me so hard that they had to cancel my chemo cycle I was about to start, and then made me an inpatient for 4 days. All is now good and I start back on my sixth fortnightly cycle of chemo next Monday.

Still in Sydney but music is not possible yet (one side effect being that it makes my voice very weak - I sound like the godfather being voiced by Elmer Fudd). I’m hoping they might give me an extended break from chemo early next year (lat Jan or early Feb), so I can take the band down to Melbourne for a couple of gigs and do other gigs on the way down and on the way back. Fingers crossed for that wish. 

Yep, the chemo can be a real trial...

I really hope you get down here for a couple of gigs, would love to get along and catch you.

...but you know in the meantime the godfather/Elmer Fudd sound could just take off.

Good luck with the treatment mate and take good care.

Love to see you in person, fingers crossed.

• Love 2

• 4 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...

I've decide to go back to vinyl...bought myself a nice new turntable, amp and speakers as a Christmas present to me.

Still have a lot of my old vinyl, I purged a bit of it a few years back but kept the ones that were important to me.

I reckon this one will be one of the first played...what do you reckon '@hardtack'?

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, rjay said:

I've decide to go back to vinyl...bought myself a nice new turntable, amp and speakers as a Christmas present to me.

Still have a lot of my old vinyl, I purged a bit of it a few years back but kept the ones that were important to me.

I reckon this one will be one of the first played...what do you reckon '@hardtack'?

Definitely agree!! You’ll need to track down a copy of Out of the Blue; it’s a brilliant album.  Unfortunately I don’t have the room for a full vinyl friendly set up, so I went the other way and recently purchased a JBL sound bar to replace my bulky space consuming home theatre set up. It has detachable speakers that can be placed to act as rear surround speakers. Seeing as how I’d invested in this technology, I decided to subscribe to the Apple Music streaming service and now seamlessly stream from my iPhone via bluetooth; it’s been a godsend since I’ve been mostly confined to my home. I’ve been tracking down a lot of Oz music from that early 70’s, era and hearing it in a whole new light. Tully, Company Caine, Spectrum and the Indelible Murtceps, La De Das, Coloured Balls, Ariel, Chain, Wendy Saddington and on and on the list goes.

And while I think of it, I’m assuming that you do know that Rob Mackenzie is a member of Demonland.

He’s living in LA now, but when he was in town visiting, myself, my son Liam and Rob, would meet up with another Dees fanatic in David Bland who would be familiar to those of us old enough to remember the miming show Kommotion… fantastic times and I’m still in contact with Rob now and then. I’m hoping if he makes a return visit and that my health also makes a return visit, the four of us will be able to do it all again. 

Edited by hardtack
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, hardtack said:

Definitely agree!! You’ll need to track down a copy of Out of the Blue; it’s a brilliant album.  Unfortunately I don’t have the room for a full vinyl friendly set up, so I went the other way and recently purchased a JBL sound bar to replace my bulky space consuming home theatre set up. It has detachable speakers that can be placed to act as rear surround speakers. Seeing as how I’d invested in this technology, I decided to subscribe to the Apple Music streaming service and now seamlessly stream from my iPhone via bluetooth; it’s been a godsend since I’ve been mostly confined to my home. I’ve been tracking down a lot of Oz music from that early 70’s, era and hearing it in a whole new light. Tully, Company Caine, Spectrum and the Indelible Murtceps, La De Das, Coloured Balls, Ariel, Chain, Wendy Saddington and on and on the list goes.

And while I think of it, I’m assuming that you do know that Rob Mackenzie is a member of Demonland.

He’s living in LA now, but when he was in town visiting, myself, my son Liam and Rob, would meet up with another Dees fanatic in David Bland who would be familiar to those of us old enough to remember the miming show Kommotion… fantastic times and I’m still in contact with Rob now and then. I’m hoping if he makes a return visit and that my health also makes a return visit, the four of us will be able to do it all again. 

I've still got my original copy of 'Out of the Blue'...apart from the music the cover art from some of these albums is great.

This one I've always loved, The Dingoes another, Sid Rumpo, The Spectrum/Mertceps covers...

Yes, I met up with Rob for one of the Queens Birthday games when he was out here. One of those, if you're going to the game how about we catch up. From memory, a loss, but still an enjoyable day. He told me that he had caught up with you & your son.

I knew someone that used to mime on Kommotion, was a friend of Molly's. Laughed that he was a pop star but couldn't sing a note. Mad North supporter...

Anyway, hope your health turns around & you are up & about soon. Take care...

• Like 1
  • Love 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

'@hardtack', you just reminded me of this after mentioning Ian Hunter on another post.

He released a new album last year...84 yo, this was the first song released (Ringo on drums). Reckon it would have been a hit back in the days when such things existed. It's a strong album with lots of interesting guests and the title Defiance - Part 1 hints of more to come.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

14 hours ago, rjay said:

'@hardtack', you just reminded me of this after mentioning Ian Hunter on another post.

He released a new album last year...84 yo, this was the first song released (Ringo on drums). Reckon it would have been a hit back in the days when such things existed. It's a strong album with lots of interesting guests and the title Defiance - Part 1 hints of more to come.

I’ll give it a listen later tonight. Thanks!!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/01/2024 at 00:37, hardtack said:

I love late 60s/early 70s Oz music ... Seasons of Change, Golden Miles, I'll be Gone, Lotus One, The Freak/Hey Pinky (Zoot) ... need I go on? 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, Winners at last said:

I love late 60s/early 70s Oz music ... Seasons of Change, Golden Miles, I'll be Gone, Lotus One, The Freak/Hey Pinky (Zoot) ... need I go on? 

Yes, there were so many good artists at that time that were not just mimicking what was going on in mainstream USA, UK and Europe. They were establishing an identity that was our own and I honestly think that some of the best music anywhere on the planet was coming out of Australia at that time.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

One of the great medleys ever, if not the best

The Beatles left their best till last 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

• 3 weeks later...