Ross Lyon

warren dean

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With respect DA youve all but outlined the reasons yourself. The Saints were well and truly in their Window. The priority then is to maintain a awell olied and honed outfit. To keep the machine primed. There no urgency to bring in new players unless they themsleves have put their selction beyond the question. When youre where they were you migh ttop up..and nudge a bit.. but blood for the sake of it ?? Nupp.

They nearly got the silver wear...We in mean time have been fiddle-farting !! Different kettle of fish entirely.

Yeah I understand that but Geelong was in their window as well but found the ability to blood kids (and win a couple of flags along the way). Compare their last few years with the Saints and now when their window should be closing the Cats have players ready to jump straight in (guys like Menzel, Duncan, Christensen etc) whereas the Saints have to blood their kids fresh.

Less enjoyable ? than what? the rubbish we often currently see ?

Weve got a little ways to go before we can execute the 'control' game StKilda utilise.. So you might be in for some real treats of games til then !!

Are you actually privy to what transpired between Ball and Lyon ? Iimagine something did..but what ? it might be something he rues..but who knows.

Whats value for money.. A premiership ? thatd do me

Not privy to anything more than what was made completely public. Ball was in and out of the side all season 2009 for reasons outside of form. In the Grand Final his sole purpose was to be Hayes' substitue, only coming onto the ground when Hayes needed a rest. Can't remember exactly how much time he spent on the pine but I'm pretty sure it was between 2 and 3 quarters of the game, despite playing an absolute blinder he could only get a run when Hayes was willing to take a break which didn't happen often. Saints lost by 12 points. Lyon even admitted in the press conference it was a huge mistake. Then surprisingly enough Ball fell out of love with the club he'd been with for the last 8 years and went to Collingwood. Saints and Pies drew in the next premiership. It's too hard not to believe that Ball going into that game playing for the Saints isntead of the Pies wouldn't have been the difference.

The "value for money" line is more in vein that he is already contracted to St Kilda for next season, so that would have to be paid out and even if it doesn't, a 5 year deal to get him over here? It'd obviously be worth HEAPS for him to even consider it. It's the kind of money you'd throw at an established premiership coach which Ross Lyon clearly is not.

Lees enjoyable than what ? Getting done by 10 goals or more every week, being down and out by quarter time more often than not, having no expectation of winning ? Give me a spell ! :mad:

Yes because that is 100% entirely correct, we have been done by 10 goals or more every week. You do need a spell.

i can't believe people are saying no to the suggestion of Lyon because the Saints play unattractive football...has anyone considered that he went ultra defensive, because other than 4-5 players, the saints are just not that good.

The Saints were in 2 consecutive prelims prior to Lyon taking over in 2006, it was easily one of the best lists in the comp at that time.

HaHaHa!!:lol: This is a Joke, it must be.....Les attractive than the MFC since 2007...no that is not possible.

Some people are not wanting to climb the mountain....it's all a bit too hard.

Supporters and players with this attitude need to be weeded out and attended to.......

By 'mountain' you mean 'bandwagon' right? And 'this attitude', you mean 'differing opinions'?

Make no mistake Lyon is a 1 trick pony that makes questionable decisions on personal .

He was largely responsible for the Sydney game plan .

He brought that same ultra negative game plan to one of the most exciting young lists in the league and killed off any attacking flair they had .

He didn't build this list that was sat probably about 10 on Malthouses clock .

He inherited it due to Buttress having a personal falling out with Grant Thomas .

Gave Luke Ball , argueably the heart and soul of the club , to Collingwood for NOTHING .

Brought in Lovett who has very questionable personal issues .

Has refused to bend his now outdated game plan even though any-one who scores more that 10 goals against them will win and often comfortably .

Yay , lets get 'im .

Pfft .

Edited by Fork 'em

I think it is fantastic that Ross Lyon's name has even been raised. It came out of left field which is great- at least we are looking at every resource which can coach. The placement of senior coach is probably the most important decision in nearly it's whole history in particular with the young developing list on offer.

Yeah I understand that but Geelong was in their window as well but found the ability to blood kids (and win a couple of flags along the way). Compare their last few years with the Saints and now when their window should be closing the Cats have players ready to jump straight in (guys like Menzel, Duncan, Christensen etc) whereas the Saints have to blood their kids fresh.

A really good culture at Catland and an independent VFL side would help heeps.

A really good culture at Catland and an independent VFL side would help heeps.

We really should mould ourselves on them and gain a current or ex member of Catland as a senior assistant coach--someone like Sanderson or even Egan would be worth a try. A defensive coach is a critical appointment IMO.

Make no mistake Lyon is a 1 trick pony that makes questionable decisions on personal .

He was largely responsible for the Sydney game plan .

He brought that same ultra negative game plan to one of the most exciting young lists in the league and killed off any attacking flair they had .

He didn't build this list that was sat probably about 10 on Malthouses clock .

He inherited it due to Buttress having a personal falling out with Grant Thomas .

Gave Luke Ball , argueably the heart and soul of the club , to Collingwood for NOTHING .

Brought in Lovett who has very questionable personal issues .

Has refused to bend his now outdated game plan even though any-one who scores more that 10 goals against them will win and often comfortably .

Yay , lets get 'im .

Pfft .

So the same Lyon was responsible therefore in some large way for Sydneys Premiership and nearly one for StKilda !!!

Yay, lets get 'im !!

I think it is fantastic that Ross Lyon's name has even been raised. It came out of left field which is great- at least we are looking at every resource which can coach. The placement of senior coach is probably the most important decision in nearly it's whole history in particular with the young developing list on offer.

great point

Best Post i have read from you in ages JCB and i mean that in a nice way.

Finally the MFC is going out there and being Proactive, rather than quietly accepting second best.

We will get a Top Line Coach...whoever it is...

So the same Lyon was responsible therefore in some large way for Sydneys Premiership and nearly one for StKilda !!!

Yay, lets get 'im !!

Okay - call me Mr Rose Coloured Glasses.

I look at StKilda's list and see the potential ( I know , I know - an ugly word) in our list and wonder to myself what would a Ross Lyon do with this list.

His has honed some fairly ordinary footballers (Dawson, Blake, Dempster, Peake etc) into playing to team rules, team structures and with committment.

He speaks plainly - doesnt gloat when he gets it right (63% of the time) and doesnt back away ( Luke Ball) when he gets it wrong.

Talk to 99% of the Saints supporters about having to watch Saints footy - they are delighted - as would I be if he came to the Dees

Edited by nutbean

I look at StKilda's list and see the potential ( I know , I know - an ugly word) in our list and wonder to myself what would a Ross Lyon do with this list.

His has honed some fairly ordinary footballers (Dawson, Blake, Dempster, Peake etc) into playing to team rules, team structures and with committment.

He speaks plainly - doesnt gloat when he gets it right (63% of the time) and doesnt back away ( Luke Ball) when he gets it wrong.

Talk to 99% of the Saints supporters about having to watch Saints footy - they are delighted - as would I be if he came to the Dees

Yep. If we beat a top 3 side by 10 points in front of 80,000 within the next 12 months i would be stoked.

Even if it means we kick 10 goals to do it.

As i said yesterday on another thread..Watch the 1990 Elimination against Hawthorn..It was Hard, Tough & low scoring...a final in every sense of the word.

I'm scared of what Lyon would do with this list .

Will kill off any creative flair they possess .

The fairly ordinary footballers have stayed fairly ordinary footballers , name 1 who has developed into an A grader under his guidance .

Talk to 99% of the Saints supporters about having to watch Saints footy - they are delighted - as would I be if he came to the Dees.

I know a few Aints supporters and I beg to differ .

Reakon Grant Thomas was ahead of his time stating the use of KPI's etc and was shafted due to a personal fallout with Buttress .

Yep. If we beat a top 3 side by 10 points in front of 80,000 within the next 12 months i would be stoked.

Even if it means we kick 10 goals to do it.

As i said yesterday on another thread..Watch the 1990 Elimination against Hawthorn..It was Hard, Tough & low scoring...a final in every sense of the word.

And let's be honest, we struggle to kick big bags of goals consistently. If LJ can kick his two or three, Sylvia & JT chip in with a couple, Whopper kicks a couple and we develop another forward, all of a sudden we look like a good team.