The No T$ No B$ Thread

Redleg

and a host of others who were touted as draft picks but weren't selected.

I'm compiling a list of these prospects which I'll put on the JT Board when I get around to it.

Can't wait Alpha. Then I can pick my 4 rookies and watch as none of them are taken by us.

Went to training this morning, dropped into a cafe for lunch, asked for a banana smoothie and horror, no smoothies today. Had mineral water, it's not nearly as good.

Hell of a drop

From Champagne to River water!

Went to training this morning, dropped into a cafe for lunch, asked for a banana smoothie and horror, no smoothies today. Had mineral water, it's not nearly as good.

Never mind ..... the quality of the training obviously made up for it. Seems like the boys are working like they've never worked before ....... even on match days for some of them.

Hell of a drop

From Champagne to River water!

Speaking of which, I guess you would have had a celebratory champers last night old dee. Three draftees, apparently none of them bean-poles!

Speaking of which, I guess you would have had a celebratory champers last night old dee. Three draftees, apparently none of them bean-poles!

Almost Deeoldfart, I did not know anything about them till this morning.

Was in Sydney getting Rained on all week.

Quite tired when I got home last night so it was this morning before I discovered not a skinny choir boy amongst them.

Good news that is for sure.

I have a single malt beside me as I type will that do?

I've come to realise that for those of us who remember the good old days, it's the rookie draft and not the national or PSDs that holds the fascination for the true blue footy fan these days.

Back in the days of yore we used to look forward to World of Sport on a Sunday morning and there were so many highlights even in the summer time. There was the wood chop, the tug of war, John Dobbie's lawn bowls report, Freddie Villiers doing soccer, Uncle Doug and the creme de la creme - the Bemm River Report with Lou Richards and the late Jack Dyer.

They used to talk rubbish in much the same way as we do on this thread. The segment was mainly about football rumours of all sorts with a few little stories about which player was thinking of changing clubs. Most of the time, as is the case today, the rumours simply weren't true.

Occasionally, there would be talk of a smokey from a bush town who was built like a brick schyzenhausen and could kick a bag of wheat over a silo - the prototype of the player you're hoping to pick up in the rookie draft.

So I'm done with the national draft and the first 97 selections going to an evil new franchise and count me out of the PSD with its 3 only picks. Give me the rookie draft and a banana smoothie come November/December and I'm back by Bemm River with Lou and Jack hoping to hear some news about the recruit who can transform our football club from a sow's ear to a silk purse. That's what Waylon Manson/Aaron Hall etc. are all about - a 2011 rookie that one day will be the next big thing.

I've come to realise that for those of us who remember the good old days, it's the rookie draft and not the national or PSDs that holds the fascination for the true blue footy fan these days.

Back in the days of yore we used to look forward to World of Sport on a Sunday morning and there were so many highlights even in the summer time. There was the wood chop, the tug of war, John Dobbie's lawn bowls report, Freddie Villiers doing soccer, Uncle Doug and the creme de la creme - the Bemm River Report with Lou Richards and the late Jack Dyer.

They used to talk rubbish in much the same way as we do on this thread. The segment was mainly about football rumours of all sorts with a few little stories about which player was thinking of changing clubs. Most of the time, as is the case today, the rumours simply weren't true.

Occasionally, there would be talk of a smokey from a bush town who was built like a brick schyzenhausen and could kick a bag of wheat over a silo - the prototype of the player you're hoping to pick up in the rookie draft.

So I'm done with the national draft and the first 97 selections going to an evil new franchise and count me out of the PSD with its 3 only picks. Give me the rookie draft and a banana smoothie come November/December and I'm back by Bemm River with Lou and Jack hoping to hear some news about the recruit who can transform our football club from a sow's ear to a silk purse. That's what Waylon Manson/Aaron Hall etc. are all about - a 2011 rookie that one day will be the next big thing.

Ahh those were the days WJ.

You have covered it beautifully.

Exactly what I was thinking. The ND has very little excitement as most names are known whereas the Rookie Draft is the opposite.

11 days to go and I am pumped.

Ahh those were the days WJ.

You have covered it beautifully.

I wholeheartedly agree with you old dee. Jack has a wonderful way with words, especially when he's in a nostalgic frame of mind. I thought he might have mentioned the late Bobby Davis though, the third of the 'three wise monkeys'. (can I use that expression in these modern times?)

I wholeheartedly agree with you old dee. Jack has a wonderful way with words, especially when he's in a nostalgic frame of mind. I thought he might have mentioned the late Bobby Davis though, the third of the 'three wise monkeys'. (can I use that expression in these modern times?)

I would never forget Bobby Davis - a true legend.

This is what I said in the Foxtel thread:-

"I'm already looking forward to this with anticipation. I really did enjoy the last attempt by Fox to run a dedicated AFL channel. Clinton Grybas was a definite favourite along with Grumpy Old Men.They don't make them like Bobby Davis any more."