Jump to content

  • Podcast: Draft Wrap Up w/Jason Taylor  

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, Redleg said:

I have just come from Darwin and am now in Cairns and I hope this doesn’t make me a racial profiler, but I look at every young indigenous boy I see and wonder if they can play footy.

We certainly did the right thing ending the Darwin game. It must be debilitating for the players.

Yes RL we have the fan factotum team set on high beat at 06:30 this morning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, old dee said:

Mr Leg I hate to be the one to tell you.

They are 40 - 50 years younger than you! 

They are highly trained athletes not old!

Yes I know that, but to play a high level physical sport in those conditions is ridiculous enough  but to then have the disadvantage of having to fly home, recover and play again in a short break is totally unacceptable.

Thankfully we have finally come to our senses and put our players first and short term financial gains second.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tarax Club said:

Yes RL we have the fan factotum team set on high beat at 06:30 this morning.

In 1857 women in Britain were first allowed to divorce their husbands.That is something to contemplate in between breakfast and ablutions.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Earl Hood said:

Well very quiet around here I must say despite all the hubbub around the national Draft. Not a peep from the usual suspects.

Well I am very happy with our draft picks, Jackson and Pickett have that X Factor we all seek but I am most impressed by the young Rivers boy, Trent. They say he can play footy but most importantly he comes from the right genetic stock! I believe he is the great nephew of none other than Sir Murray Rivers QC, the former Supreme Court Judge of Victoria and staunch defender of the Royal Family and the importance of our place in the British Commonwealth. 

What is more important to the MFC, drafting players with talent or drafting the right type of lad, with the right values, eh? I think you all agree with me, it’s the latter. 

Still angling for that elusive knighthood Earl ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Bitter but optimistic said:

Still angling for that elusive knighthood Earl ?

Will need to catch a bigger fish first.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Redleg said:

In 1857 women in Britain were first allowed to divorce their husbands.That is something to contemplate in between breakfast and ablutions.

image.jpeg.962090054911b126846e6c55157d5a8a.jpeg

RL, If you care to explore behind the facade of Darwin as a modern progressive city and government tourist authority offerings you will find bogans, longgrassers, ferals, luddites and troglodytes abound.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Tarax Club said:

image.jpeg.962090054911b126846e6c55157d5a8a.jpeg

RL, If you care to explore behind the facade of Darwin as a modern progressive city and government tourist authority offerings you will find bogans, longgrassers, ferals, luddites and troglodytes abound.

Not surprised.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Redleg said:

Yes I know that, but to play a high level physical sport in those conditions is ridiculous enough  but to then have the disadvantage of having to fly home, recover and play again in a short break is totally unacceptable.

Thankfully we have finally come to our senses and put our players first and short term financial gains second.

 

So where is the lost income coming from?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, old dee said:

So where is the lost income coming from?

From the proceeds of a game in Melbourne with ticket sales, sponsorship etc and a better finish  to the year increased membership etc.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Redleg said:

From the proceeds of a game in Melbourne with ticket sales, sponsorship etc and a better finish  to the year increased membership etc.

Pie in sky stuff, won't cover the lost revenue by a long shot. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, old dee said:

Pie in sky stuff, won't cover the lost revenue by a long shot. 

Disagree. We make the finals for example, by one game, not having lost the regular next game after Darwin and calculate the difference in revenues from finals participation, gate, sponsorship, membership, merchandise, attracting new players, which in turn increases the preceding items again. Also what if substitute game is say a home game against Bombers for example, the gate alone for that would cover the Darwin game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Redleg said:

Disagree. We make the finals for example, by one game, not having lost the regular next game after Darwin and calculate the difference in revenues from finals participation, gate, sponsorship, membership, merchandise, attracting new players, which in turn increases the preceding items again. Also what if substitute game is say a home game against Bombers for example, the gate alone for that would cover the Darwin game.

You are making assumptions that I believe will not happen.

We will not get a replacement game against a team like the Bombers it will more likely be the GCS.

I cannot believe that one new member will be acquired it 2020 because we have one more game at the G, winning is what drives membership and nothing else. After 2019 we will struggle to get to that level in 2020. As for winning after the Darwin game we were absolute crap for the majority of the time we played in Darwin we could not win anywhere any time.

Surfice to say Mr. Leg we have opposite views of the benefits of playing in Darwin and I doubt either of us will change their view.

Edited by old dee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Redleg said:

From the proceeds of a game in Melbourne with ticket sales, sponsorship etc and a better finish  to the year increased membership etc.

NT sponsorship gone?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, RDBhero said:

NT sponsorship gone?

It has been cut because we are only playing one game in 2020, GCS have taken over the Darwin game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, old dee said:

 

Surfice to say Mr. Leg we have opposite views of the benefits of playing in Darwin and I doubt either of us will change their view.

You are not saying I hope OD, that you wanted to continue with Darwin are you?

If nothing else and you are looking for a reason to have stopped it, just ask the players or someone in the FD.

Good riddance I say.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Redleg said:

You are not saying I hope OD, that you wanted to continue with Darwin are you?

If nothing else and you are looking for a reason to have stopped it, just ask the players or someone in the FD.

Good riddance I say.

I have only one problem where is the replacement money coming from? All I hear is wishy washy comments about increased membership,  sale of merchandise and more money from sponsors. All of which is BS that I can see. The only thing  that drives those things is winning lots of games, playing one extra game at the G will IMO not drive up funds. We also have trouble winning at the G playing away from the G seems to give a better chance of winning. IMO you could form an argument that playing the extra game increases the chance of a lose which would drive down finances.

I understand members want more games at the G but there is a cost of returning the game that everyone is happy to ignore until the profit for 2020 is announced.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/30/2019 at 12:31 AM, Redleg said:

I have just come from Darwin and am now in Cairns and I hope this doesn’t make me a racial profiler, but I look at every young indigenous boy I see and wonder if they can play footy.

We certainly did the right thing ending the Darwin game. It must be debilitating for the players.

You could say it is part of our evolution as a club ... 🙂

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/15/2019 at 11:08 AM, Redleg said:

This thread just keeps on breaking news and educating the masses.

In the interests of further education 

The cherry market is subject to huge manipulation. SA crops being introduced late into the market as drought conditions are indicated as prompting a shortage. NE Vic has supplies at $7 a kg for seconds (or Casey as we call them) while Yea cherries were $30 for5 kg (Caseys)

Global headwinds could impact on Banana prices as Josh and Mathias prepare (scare) us for disaster while praising their economic management in retaining a shallow surplus. Thank god we have such giants of fiscal responsibility to help us through the festive season.

The reaction s in the real economy are remote from the considerations of the Canberra bubble. Fortunately ScoMo is reported to be in the pacific islands somewhere. No doubt feasting on bananas.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, dpositive said:

In the interests of further education 

The cherry market is subject to huge manipulation. SA crops being introduced late into the market as drought conditions are indicated as prompting a shortage. NE Vic has supplies at $7 a kg for seconds (or Casey as we call them) while Yea cherries were $30 for5 kg (Caseys)

Global headwinds could impact on Banana prices as Josh and Mathias prepare (scare) us for disaster while praising their economic management in retaining a shallow surplus. Thank god we have such giants of fiscal responsibility to help us through the festive season.

The reaction s in the real economy are remote from the considerations of the Canberra bubble. Fortunately ScoMo is reported to be in the pacific islands somewhere. No doubt feasting on bananas.

And some people have stupidly suggested closing this thread down, thereby denying us all this type of important information.

To think that this thread is probably the only thread on DL, that doesn't have constant personal attacks on other posters.

It is the citadel of important information circulation and polite intelligent discussion. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I enjoy the symbolic red, crimson of the cherry. In the right light it has shades of red and blue. It is a well rounded fruit with a hard core pip, a tough skin protecting the rich and firm flesh. It is truly the fruit of the demon supporter.

I find bananas too practical coming with their weird yellow brown shading., and what's with their bendy curved spine thing. Their skin covering being an easily disposable container is environmentally friendly whic is a fine feature.

Both are ideal for smoothies but the cherry smoothie if properly prepared is the peak.

The only negative with the cherry is just what do you do with the pip?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, dpositive said:

I enjoy the symbolic red, crimson of the cherry. In the right light it has shades of red and blue. It is a well rounded fruit with a hard core pip, a tough skin protecting the rich and firm flesh. It is truly the fruit of the demon supporter.

I find bananas too practical coming with their weird yellow brown shading., and what's with their bendy curved spine thing. Their skin covering being an easily disposable container is environmentally friendly whic is a fine feature.

Both are ideal for smoothies but the cherry smoothie if properly prepared is the peak.

The only negative with the cherry is just what do you do with the pip?

i knew a girl who lost her cherry. i suppose that solved the pip problem

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, daisycutter said:

i knew a girl who lost her cherry. i suppose that solved the pip problem

Stone the crows, dc!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Social Media

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles

    BACK IN STYLE by Whispering Jack

    From the moment when the Elton John character in the movie “Rocketman” burst into its opening scene dressed as a flamboyant demon on his way to an addiction rehabilitation session, the game was on. Here was yet another film about a person gifted with a meteoric rise to stardom finding coke, booze and a hedonistic lifestyle that led directly to a destructive crash into the abyss. Ultimately, these stories end in total disaster (“A Star is Born”, “Bohemian Rhapsody”, “Judy”) but this one resulted

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features

    THE TRADING CHRONICLES 2019

    PART ONE - OVERTURE  I have a disclaimer at the outset. I’m not a fan of the races - be they horses or motors of any kind. Once the final siren sounds on the football season, I find the month or so that follows and corresponds roughly with the Spring Racing Carnival to be the most boring time of the year for sports fans. You turn on the radio and you’re confronted by the monotonous drone of a self-proclaimed racing expert or by the nasally twang of an ex-jockey banging on about the equine p

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 8

    CHANGES 2019 by The Oracle

    PART 1 - IT’S A LITTLE MORE COMPLICATED THIS TIME This year’s free agency, trade and draft period will see the usual drama and upheaval as the AFL’s 18 clubs seek to better their lists in order to challenge for finals and possibly premiership honours. Long before the final siren sounded on the season just over a week ago, the maneuvering was under way with player agents and clubs discussing possible player movements and in some cases, deals had already been done.  Yesterday, the r

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 2

    HOW FAR SOUTH? by George on the Outer

    It was appropriate that Melbourne was playing its last game of season 2019 in Hobart.  After all, how much further south could the team go? And much as it has done in many of the previous 22 games, the side managed to extract a loss from a winning position by simply giving the ball back to the opposition time and time again. In fact, they gave it back to the opposition to the tune of 53 points from turnovers while, by way of contrast North Melbourne contributed  only 17 points to their oppo

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    COOKED by The Oracle

    I can vividly remember when the Demons ventured onto Blundstone Arena for the first time in early 2016 only to lose to the Kangaroos by 20.11.131 to 21.10.136.    Melbourne was then a team on the up and up: young, enthusiastic and bold. It gave up a huge quarter time deficit after kicking against a strong wind but made that up by half time and fell dramatically short after an exciting high scoring affair.  The team lost no fans that day - they were willing to take the game on and attac

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    HELP by KC rom Casey

    The Casey Demons finished off their home and away season against Frankston at Skybus Stadium on Sunday with a narrow, unconvincing 6-point victory that left the door slightly open for a top eight berth when the VFL finals begin in a fortnight’s time. While sunny skies prevailed over Frankston in the morning, the skies became overcast by noon and heavy waves pounded the bay nearby as the rains came in to greet the players as the game started. And conditions stayed dark and dreary for the rem

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    THANKS BUT NO THANKS by George on the Outer

    Thanks, but no thanks! In a round where the club was supposed to thank their fans for the support during the year, the Melbourne Football Club chose to do otherwise with a 53 point loss to a team that sat 15th on the ladder.  Don’t give us cheap jumpers that can’t be sold in the Demon shop.  Don’t give us vouchers to shop there, give us something on the field, which is why we come to the football in the first place. It was a disgraceful performance, which started with a disgracefu

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    SLEEP OUT AT THE MCG by The Oracle

    Around about 12 months ago Melbourne and Sydney fought out an epic battle between two top eight teams fighting for the best possible ladder position in the lead up to the finals. The Swans triumphed by 9 points at the MCG after the Demons came back from five goals down at three quarter time. But for its poor kicking for goal, Melbourne might well have won the game and finished in the top four. Who knows what might then have happened for the club in September? As a consequence, the person re

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    A LITTLE RAY OF SUNSHINE by KC from Casey

    Two clubs that have been hard hit by injury recently took part in a dour battle under dark clouds and, with intermittent showers falling, it wasn’t a pretty game at Victoria Park on Sunday. Despite all that, the Casey Demons added a little ray of sunshine to their day to get the job done over a "traditional" rival with a 15 point victory over Collingwood VFL that breathed life back into their season. There were a few highlights at the ground that in past days has seen many titanic batt

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    THE RETRO ROUND by George on the Outer

    We have seen it all before… Yes, a wonderful idea to showcase what used to be in football.  Big crowds, umpires who knew how to apply the rules and not opinions, high marks, skilful players. But for the Melbourne supporters their retro is what it has been like for the past 10 years. Losing games, end on end, year after year.  Opportunities squandered in front of goal. VFL standard players running around at the MCG. Just more of the same, and the game against Collingwood was no ex

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE PEOPLE SPEAK by The Demonland Crew

    Thanks to Demonlanders for their input into this week’s preview. Ralphius Maximus is short and bittersweet: We'll crack in at the bounce to create a contest, win our share of the ball, butcher the forward movement and get scored on easily from the intercepts. Not that hard to predict. Big Demon says: Unfortunately Collingwood will win because they have a lot more to play for. We will be good in parts but really the season is well over so we will have to put up with those bell

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    WHAT, NO BLOOD? by George on the Outer

    The feeling when turning up to the MCG on a Saturday night to play a top four side in Richmond, while the Melbourne sits cemented in close proximity to the bottom of the table is like attending the Colosseum in Ancient Roman times. The expectation is that a bloodbath is about to occur. There are 100,000 Richmond members and 50,000 Melbourne members, and despite the fact that it turned out to be a wet night after half-time, a crowd of only 37K bothered to turn up. That should never have happ

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

×
×
  • Create New...