The No T$ No B$ Thread

Redleg

In today's Sun it says that Morton's relationship with Neeld was beyond repair and that, of course, WC really rated Morton and that he was a real chance for their starting 22 next year.

Now I understand that we were getting rid of players and that those players were not going to get us picks that we would use. Therefore we obviously made the decision to do the deal whatever we were offered. However to trade Morton for the lowest trade pick in the whole period and then be forced to pay part of his salary as well is just plain insulting.

At the very least, if we aren't capable of doing a deal with WC, then offer Morton a delist and contract termination and he could have gone to WC in ND or PSD for nothing. That is better for us than paying some of his salary. He would have taken the deal as he was desperate to get away from Neeld.

Likewise on the Gys deal we caved and upgraded picks for North as well, instead of for us, which might have got us Ray. Harrington said we were very close on Ray. Perhaps a better deal of an unpgrade for us would have got us Ray. I personally don't understand how Gys is not worth a fair bit more than Pedersen. Who is younger and has more upside and future at this point in time?

Until someone shows me why my view is wrong, I believe we are poor at negotiating. From what I have seen we have basically given what was asked of us on every single deal and trade including Hogan. GC got their Martin with pick 2 and we gave 3 & 13 with 20 back for Hogan. I am not upset about how it worked out but am just making the point. I also know that Viney was in there but so what, we wanted Viney at 26 and they wanted 3. Even with Dawes we gave 20 and then downgraded picks which again could have cost us Ray or another player.

I don't think that we have demonstrated an ability to do deals to our advantage.

Totally agree Redleg. We may have got who we wanted but we lacked negotiating smarts and savviness!

In the immortal words of Kenny Rogers '...you've got to know when to hold them, know when to fold them and know when to walk away.' MFC have shown they don't know how to finesse the game.

Showing our hand too early and getting poor returns for players smacked of desperation while other clubs played hardball (and won). Just saying, don't want us to be seen as easybeats at the negotiating table. This year sets the tone for future years so hope we get some smarts quickly.

Won't be asking any MFC negotiators to bid on a house at auction!

Not one of them was AFL standard Redleg.

They helped make the Dees uncompetitive in 2012

Goodbye and lets get on with it.

Bennell played nearly 15 games a year and but for injury more. Petterd had his moments. Jurrah certainly had AFL talent.

Bennell played nearly 15 games a year and but for injury more. Petterd had his moments. Jurrah certainly had AFL talent.

Sorry Redleg you are right re Jurrah but in the end he left us.

I could never understand why Bennel got so many games, two FD's kept thinking he would turn the corner I think.

In 2012 he average 6 positions a game, the guy was very ordinary in 50 of his 60 games,

Petterd smilarly had a a hand full of good games.

It says lots that no AFL side was interested in Petterd, Bennell, Bate at any price.

with Bate they did not even have to make a deal, he could have just walk into whatever club wanted him.

At the very least, if we aren't capable of doing a deal with WC, then offer Morton a delist and contract termination and he could have gone to WC in ND or PSD for nothing. That is better for us than paying some of his salary. He would have taken the deal as he was desperate to get away from Neeld.

I'm interested in why Morton would have allowed us to cancel his contract without paying him out.

I thought if you had a contract you could only terminate the contract by paying out for the full period.

If we delisted him I think we would be paying for him next year anyway.

I'm interested in why Morton would have allowed us to cancel his contract without paying him out.

I thought if you had a contract you could only terminate the contract by paying out for the full period.

If we delisted him I think we would be paying for him next year anyway.

By mutual agreement you could change a contract. If he agreed to cancel or vary it to say $100.00 for the year, we could pay him out and he would be free to cross to WC. They wouldn't have to give up prized pick 88 and we wouldn't be up for some of his salary. They say they were keen to get him and they would have done a deal where they get him for nothing. They are talking about him making their starting 22 for the first game.

Totally agree Redleg. We may have got who we wanted but we lacked negotiating smarts and savviness!

In the immortal words of Kenny Rogers '...you've got to know when to hold them, know when to fold them and know when to walk away.' MFC have shown they don't know how to finesse the game.

Showing our hand too early and getting poor returns for players smacked of desperation while other clubs played hardball (and won). Just saying, don't want us to be seen as easybeats at the negotiating table. This year sets the tone for future years so hope we get some smarts quickly.

Won't be asking any MFC negotiators to bid on a house at auction!

and the best that you can hope for is to die in your sleep!

By mutual agreement you could change a contract. If he agreed to cancel or vary it to say $100.00 for the year, we could pay him out and he would be free to cross to WC. They wouldn't have to give up prized pick 88 and we wouldn't be up for some of his salary. They say they were keen to get him and they would have done a deal where they get him for nothing. They are talking about him making their starting 22 for the first game.

Not if they were unwilling to pay him what we were paying him.

Your $100 becomes the difference between what they pay him and what we pay him.

This is exactly what we are doing but getting pick 88 as well.

Strange really as history shows that until you have some evidence you cant necessarily assume this or that team are 'good"

The Mouse has gone from being Filthy to recycling rubbish !!

Had some rather yummy banana bread toasted the other day. Must learn how to make it :)