GWS

Guest milpod

I can't believe the exceptional levels of vitriole and elitist, xenophobic hatred on here. And from supporters of the first Australian Football club, the one that wrote the original rules.

No, we DON'T all want to see GWS fail. I don't. Putting aside the personalities and bosses surrounding this venture, there is NOTHING undesirable about seeing our NATIONAL GAME become ever more national. That is one of the things I love about this game.......it reflects the unique nature of our sporting culture and our people, and it's popularity is rightly growing, and greatly so. To all of you suggesting that the creation of a club in one of the largest working class population hubs of our nation will somehow poison the competition, the game, or our beloved Demons, perhaps you could become a little less bigotted, and a little less afraid.

Your anger toward this venture is simply ugly, and plainly lacking in foresight. What EXACTLY are you all afraid of? Did you all have the same fear when the Eagles came in? Did you all resent the VFL becoming the AFL?

I played senior footy in the 80's as a schoolkid in Sydney for a North Shore club, and we used to go to the west to play Mt.Druitt, and Penrith. After avoiding getting my teeth kicked in, I used to imagine how great it would be if footy become the mainstay of those areas over Rugby League. Well, here it is.

It's a great game, and it's our ONLY national game. Let go of the sooky whingeing, suck it up, and celebrate it.

Good post - I agree.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm afraid that Tom Scully will hold up a premiership cup in an orange jumper. I'm afraid that Melbourne will get close to a premiership but be lacking that one true midfield star to get us over the line. I'm afraid that offering $7M to a 20 year old is taking away my chance to watch a Tom dominate in a Melbourne jumper for the next 12 years. And I'm afraid that all of this is possible because the AFL is quiet happy to have the heart ripped out of a 150 year old club with truly die hard supporters to gain a few extra band wagon supports in a city that doesn't give a sh*t!!

The only thing to fear is fear itself.

Fear is the path to the dark side.

Don't be afraid.

The only thing to fear is fear itself.

Fear is the path to the dark side.

Don't be afraid.

Where's my old avatar?

Guest Artie Bucco

I want to see the game thrive in Sydney, and I know that it will.

I hope it doesn't come at the expense of MFC, but I understand there will be collateral damage.

It would be crushing to be dealt a blow in the upswing of our greatest chance at a flag in many years.

On the flipside, things are never as bad as they seem, just as they are never as good as they seem.

Scully leaving could open another avenue that leads to greater success.

The Lione didn't miss Buckley much, and the cats are faring ok without Ablett.

The picks they received in return could see them avoid a significant drop down the ladder.

What did Sticks Kernahan say that time at a Carlton AGM? ... "We're Cartlon ... and f!%k the rest!"

I think we Melbourne supporters need a bit more of that attitude about us.

Said it once, I'll say it again. Some of you are just too damned nice.

What did Sticks Kernahan say that time at a Carlton AGM? ... "We're Cartlon ... and f!%k the rest!"

Yeah, let's be pricks!

Why?

Because of what they have done to us!

What have they done? I didn't think anything happens until the end of the season?

It's what they can do!

Hypotheticals, really?

It's what they will do!

Hypotheticals or Hyper-theticals?

Just shut up, rpfc! You're arrogant and condescension.

Would that be condescending?

Case in point.

I'm glad we had this chat.

I want to see the game thrive in Sydney, and I know that it will.

I hope it doesn't come at the expense of MFC, but I understand there will be collateral damage.

It would be crushing to be dealt a blow in the upswing of our greatest chance at a flag in many years.

On the flipside, things are never as bad as they seem, just as they are never as good as they seem.

Scully leaving could open another avenue that leads to greater success.

The Lione didn't miss Buckley much, and the cats are faring ok without Ablett.

The picks they received in return could see them avoid a significant drop down the ladder.

I'll agree with this. My big issue remains the methodology rather than the club itself. I have no problem with an expansion team in Sydney, what I do not agree with is poaching of second-year players for more money than the superstars and the AFL flouting its own rules to try and reward these guys with a flag.

Yeah, let's be pricks!

Why?

Because of what they have done to us!

What have they done? I didn't think anything happens until the end of the season?

It's what they can do!

Hypotheticals, really?

It's what they will do!

Hypotheticals or Hyper-theticals?

Just shut up, rpfc! You're arrogant and condescension.

Would that be condescending?

Case in point.

I'm glad we had this chat.

It's not about being a [censored]. It's about protecting your own interests in a hostile environment.

This isn't isn't the United Nations. We're not in this thing to foster goodwill and clap each other on, what what.

We need to shed this "good show old chap" mentality and fight hard and nasty, both on and off the field. You can bet our competitors will be.

Winning premierships is a zero sum game.

It's not about being a [censored]. It's about protecting your own interests in a hostile environment.

This isn't isn't the United Nations. We're not in this thing to foster goodwill and clap each other on, what what.

We need to shed this "good show old chap" mentality and fight hard and nasty, both on and off the field. You can bet our competitors will be.

Winning premierships is a zero sum game.

Well said without saying a word.

What do you want us to do?

We have little to complain about at the minute.

We are trying to keep our players just like every other club. We are pushing to keep some money to capitalise on FA.

I think you are showing a bit of the dreaded syndrome here.

Don't opposition club supporters clap their good performers off the ground ?

I've been to seven games this season. And each time I have found that to be the case. And shock horror, our supporters have done the same.

Well said without saying a word.

What do you want us to do?

We have little to complain about at the minute.

We are trying to keep our players just like every other club. We are pushing to keep some money to capitalise on FA.

I think you are showing a bit of the dreaded syndrome here.

I'm just responding to some posts above by people who want to see this new mob in GWS succeed.

Let's get it straight. Success for GWS and GC over the next 10 - 12 years means less likely success for the MFC.

Why would any Melbourne supporter consider that to be a good thing?

I can't believe the exceptional levels of vitriole and elitist, xenophobic hatred on here. And from supporters of the first Australian Football club, the one that wrote the original rules.

No, we DON'T all want to see GWS fail. I don't. Putting aside the personalities and bosses surrounding this venture, there is NOTHING undesirable about seeing our NATIONAL GAME become ever more national. That is one of the things I love about this game.......it reflects the unique nature of our sporting culture and our people, and it's popularity is rightly growing, and greatly so. To all of you suggesting that the creation of a club in one of the largest working class population hubs of our nation will somehow poison the competition, the game, or our beloved Demons, perhaps you could become a little less bigotted, and a little less afraid.

Your anger toward this venture is simply ugly, and plainly lacking in foresight. What EXACTLY are you all afraid of? Did you all have the same fear when the Eagles came in? Did you all resent the VFL becoming the AFL?

I played senior footy in the 80's as a schoolkid in Sydney for a North Shore club, and we used to go to the west to play Mt.Druitt, and Penrith. After avoiding getting my teeth kicked in, I used to imagine how great it would be if footy become the mainstay of those areas over Rugby League. Well, here it is.

It's a great game, and it's our ONLY national game. Let go of the sooky whingeing, suck it up, and celebrate it.

yes i resent the national competition - in the format in which it has been introduced. Shafted = S.A, W.A and Tas. football competitions. Plastic premiership cups to Brisbane + Sydney Swans. The cynical killing off of traditional football team, Fitzroy. The destruction of state of origin football. A competition embracing the state competitions having an F.A cup play off post grand final week - like the old days - could have presented the best of both worlds. There were memorable playoffs in the 70's, check utube. also look at old sanfl and wafl finals matches on utube with the crowds, the atmosphere and excitement, ditto vfl. now we have manufactured clubs, plastic grass teams like brisbane, gcfl, greater western eagles, west coast eagles (what does that mean?). in the meantime, millions bleeding to keep these desert states allive, all in the name of warding off soccer and rugby. look at port adelaide, proud club, shafted the way it was brought in, now on a lifeline. each week we have numerous 'dead rubbers' with teams making up the numbers + boring meaningless matches. the whole thing stinks. come september we have an overcooked finals system with teams playing over and over to justify a placing they already earned in the home and aways. the system stinks.

Tell that to the crowds who turned out for the ticker tape parade following the Swans premiership win in 2005 (the NRL premier has never been given such a reception). Tell that to the Lord Mayor who presented the Swans team with the key to the city and who had the Swans flag flown on top of the Harbour Bridge for the week following the win.

Agree with a lot of your sentiments, but that is just uninformed.

yes, bravo the swans and i applaud them. but did they need the massive concessions thrown at the new franchises? i know this is not a black and white issue and that mistakes were made re swans, but the largesse thrown at the new 'teams' comes at the expense of the health of the overall competition.

Guest hangon007

Range Rover vs rpfc ... nice discussion. Maybe you are both right .. we need balance.

For me ... We need more passion from our supporters for sure. More passion to turn up on a weekly basis come rain, hail or shine irrespective where we are on the ladder & how we are playing, irrespective of time & venue.

... the rest is way above my head. I'm not smart enough & I will leave that to others. I just want to go to the footy.

Oh ... yes I dont give a damn who wins tonight as long as its us. I'm going to scream my guts out ... and yes I think all our players are "champions" for getting out their in the red & the blue. Who deserve my 100% support & loyalty. I dont care if they cant do this or that well as long as they give 100% which I'm convinced they do. :wub:

Go Dees

Edited by hangon007

yes i resent the national competition - in the format in which it has been introduced. Shafted = S.A, W.A and Tas. football competitions. Plastic premiership cups to Brisbane + Sydney Swans. The cynical killing off of traditional football team, Fitzroy. The destruction of state of origin football. A competition embracing the state competitions having an F.A cup play off post grand final week - like the old days - could have presented the best of both worlds. There were memorable playoffs in the 70's, check utube. also look at old sanfl and wafl finals matches on utube with the crowds, the atmosphere and excitement, ditto vfl. now we have manufactured clubs, plastic grass teams like brisbane, gcfl, greater western eagles, west coast eagles (what does that mean?). in the meantime, millions bleeding to keep these desert states allive, all in the name of warding off soccer and rugby. look at port adelaide, proud club, shafted the way it was brought in, now on a lifeline. each week we have numerous 'dead rubbers' with teams making up the numbers + boring meaningless matches. the whole thing stinks. come september we have an overcooked finals system with teams playing over and over to justify a placing they already earned in the home and aways. the system stinks.

Well said Bushy...This current Template that Vlad & co are driving could actually kill the game off if they are not very careful.

Our debt was not paid off quickly just so we could be shafted once again.

The sky has not fallen in, but when i watch a Port Adelaide game...the scary music starts to softly play.

Range Rover vs rpfc ... nice discussion. Maybe you are both right .. we need balance.

For me ... We need more passion from our supporters for sure. More passion to turn up on a weekly basis come rain, hail or shine irrespective where we are on the ladder & how we are playing, irrespective of time & venue.

... the rest is way above my head. I'm not smart enough & I will leave that to others. I just want to go to the footy.

I think you're the one who is right Hangon007. The voice of reason and the most sensible approach!

I think you're the one who is right Hangon007. The voice of reason and the most sensible approach!

For him to leave it to others to talk about?

Yeah, that is sensible...

I'm just kidding.

But seriously, footy wouldn't be where it is today without the expansion and I am happy to give a bit to get them up and running.

But I am not happy to give up anything that will harm our chances of a flag.

I don't believe in the "if you are for GWS, then you are for Melbourne's chances of a flag being diminished" meme.

I'm just responding to some posts above by people who want to see this new mob in GWS succeed.

Let's get it straight. Success for GWS and GC over the next 10 - 12 years means less likely success for the MFC.

Why would any Melbourne supporter consider that to be a good thing?

I agree, F@%K"EM ALL!!!!!!GO DEES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest hangon007

But I am not happy to give up anything that will harm our chances of a flag.

I don't believe in the "if you are for GWS, then you are for Melbourne's chances of a flag being diminished" meme.

... I happy to give up something. As long as its fair & the compensation is fair. As long as everybody gives a little.

At this stage ... the "GWS offers" sound bigger than the Ablett deal ... so logically the compensation should be better.

But I'n not getting ahead of himself. Time will take its course. I'm not here to worry about what is out of my control.

Go Dees

It was 100mil to GWS to startup wasn't it (overall package)? This was my starting point when talking to people taking the 'it won't work' line. It will be made to work. The numbers game is an easy win and yet is where significant attention is paid. Get ~20k+ to each game in the first five years. 5k kids freebies (who will bring parent(s) in) for 11 games for 5 years would cost no more than 3mil. Something as simple as that, combined with actual members, gets the job done. In that period the concessions start paying off and all of a sudden 'GWS' has a viable team to support.

Someone has sucked the AFL into believing that WS was ripe for a footy takeover. Did they not think that League would not fight back. This is just a disaster waiting to happen but if it does who will suffer. They will still get their fat pay cheques but the remaining Clubs will foot the bill.

It's all about TV rights. The facts are Rugby has huge numbers of viewers in GWS and Southern Queensland. They don't attend games butthey watch on TV. Its critical to the strategy of getting in excess of $1Bn for the TV rights.

It was 100mil to GWS to startup wasn't it (overall package)? This was my starting point when talking to people taking the 'it won't work' line. It will be made to work. The numbers game is an easy win and yet is where significant attention is paid. Get ~20k+ to each game in the first five years. 5k kids freebies (who will bring parent(s) in) for 11 games for 5 years would cost no more than 3mil. Something as simple as that, combined with actual members, gets the job done. In that period the concessions start paying off and all of a sudden 'GWS' has a viable team to support.

Still doesn't mean they will survive by themselves in 10-15 years...This is the part that concerns me. How much money will have been wasted by then???

People will attend things with a freebie, sure.

But when will they dig into their own Greenery....I have never given a cent to the Melbourne Storm & i quite like them.

Guest hangon007

It's all about TV rights. The facts are Rugby has huge numbers of viewers in GWS and Southern Queensland. They don't attend games butthey watch on TV. Its critical to the strategy of getting in excess of $1Bn for the TV rights.

I got no problems with that. As long as I get a fair share of the TV rights. Last thing I want to hear is 12 million has to go to SA ... Queensland need xxxxx more $$$$$$, NSW need xxxxxx more $$$$$$, WA need xxxxx more $$$$$$.

Oh but sorry, you need to stand on your own two feet. Your brand stands for nothing, you got no money you got no future.

Edited by hangon007

Yes, and there is a culture of watching League as opposed to going to the game.

I think the stadium deal is key in both these markets - on the weekend the Suns got 4k more people to their game than the Titans.

The TV viewership will gradually get better - but that is more or less evened up over the league.

Coporate sponsors and gate returns is where it is at when it comes to the old "they'll go under and we will pay for it" argument.

Good stadium deal = good weather up in GC and GWS.

I agree, F@%K"EM ALL!!!!!!GO DEES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Couldn't agree more and love your passion Tatu!! I couldn't care less if there were less clubs with less money and a smaller T.V audience I just want to see some red and blue ribbons hanging from the cup!!

I think people that are happy to "expand the game" at Melbourne's expense are taking their eyes off the prize.