Colin Sylvia

Demon Stalwart

Colin Sylvia is one of the Melbourne players I admire the most, consistent generally most of the time, leads from the front, is deft in his ball delivery and contributes substaintially in most matches

He is a standout player for Melbourne.

Brad Green, last year a great player, able to produce good football, skill errors a lot less, a go to player who also stood out. but that was last year!

Nathan Jones, making decision errors, that he shouldnt, hesitating, being caught more then he should, and unable to shrug tackles like he used to.

Brett Moloney, good on any given day but not consistent enough to have the impact he should,

Therefore out of all of these 4 players I believe Sylvia should be captain, he tries to encourage always the other players around him, he continualy brings other players into the game.

I believe Sylvia could handle the pressure more so then the others

Brad doesnt seem to be able to marry up his football inline with his Captaincy . No doubt about his passion or commmittment but I believe the extra pressure of that captaincy is affecting his football.

Both Nathan and Brett are too inconsistent at present .

Therefore I believe Sylvia is the better choice and has the Maturity to handle it .

Just my opinion but Im sure some here will jump all over me for saying it :rolleyes:

I wouldn't want the Green effect to occur with Sylvia.

Give it to Beamer who leads regardless of his title and bleeds for the club.

Guest 36DD

Totally agree, wrote similar sentiments two months ago when it was clear that Green was not a goin to cut it.

I know he has been a bit of a loose cannon in the past but I feel he is just about on top of this. He has matured, recently brought a house and last year received the trainers award for the most polite and approachable player.

The big standout for me is that he always plays well when we get hammered, i.e. he doesn't rely on other players to have a good game, crucial if you wanna be a good captain.

Whether we like to admit it or not, prior to this season, Green WAS the captain of choice by a country mile. Hindshite is such a wonderful thing ey...

Sylvia is by no means captaincy material in my mind. He would certainly suffer.

Moloney, Rivers and Davey are way ahead and any of those three would be my choice.

Moloney Captain. Mckenzie vice captain. players who lead from the front.

I tend to agree with this...McKenzie has not played a "bad" game yet.

He is probably our most consistent player with Moloney, every game.

Some games are better than others yes. But Jordie has yet to play a bad one.

Definite leader next year.

I tend to agree with this...McKenzie has not played a "bad" game yet.

He is probably our most consistent player with Moloney, every game.

Some games are better than others yes. But Jordie has yet to play a bad one.

Definite leader next year.

I love jordie too and is a hunter but VC, no disrespect but that is a tad far fetched

Guest 36DD

Whether we like to admit it or not, prior to this season, Green WAS the captain of choice by a country mile. Hindshite is such a wonderful thing ey...

Sylvia is by no means captaincy material in my mind. He would certainly suffer.

Moloney, Rivers and Davey are way ahead and any of those three would be my choice.

Davey after the St Kilda match??? Inability to handle physical pressure or a tag???

Brett Moloney, good on any given day but not consistent enough to have the impact he should,

I think Beamer is more consistent than Sylvia.

And I'm not sure either is necessarily captain material. They might be, but I suspect it's at least as important what happens off the field as on (eg, attitude to training, sponsor glad-handling, media work, younger player mentoring, etc) and I've got no idea what any of them are like in that regard.

Grimes captain, Moloney VC, Green DVC.

Time to move on to the future, even though Grimes' personal form may dip he's one player I could never drop from the side. Moloney can still be the onfield leader when Grimes misses half a season injured and Green can still do some media, but it's time to let the young players know their time is now.

Look we all know (Brad included probably) that he is the unenviable seat warmer for the next younger leader at the club.

It is a difficult position to be in, knowing that, and it is one that he has not taken to with ease (on the field anyway),

but he was chosen miles ahead of anyone else and deserved and earned his selection.

And his position as captain is not going to change mid-season, so advocating for it is both stupid and a waste of time.

As for the future, whether that be next year or the year after that, I'm in the Grimes camp.

Edited by QueenC

Why? This club needs to change some of its structures. Jordie leads by example.

Jordie is still learning how to play his role, and football in general. He'll tell you that. Melbourne needs a player that can make a captain's impact - kick the important goal, lay the important tackle, lift players that need it, and someone who demands respect from his peers. Could be Jordie in a few years, but he has a lot of growth to do yet. Give it to Beamer or Sylvia, or both. Make the club tough from the top and it will filter down. Green has always been a soft frontrunner.

Jordie is still learning how to play his role, and football in general. He'll tell you that. Melbourne needs a player that can make a captain's impact - kick the important goal, lay the important tackle, lift players that need it, and someone who demands respect from his peers. Could be Jordie in a few years, but he has a lot of growth to do yet. Give it to Beamer or Sylvia, or both. Make the club tough from the top and it will filter down. Green has always been a soft frontrunner.

I didn't say Captain...i said Vice Captain.

Who has been more consistent on the field for this club in 2010-11 than Jordie Mckenzie.

He can still learn the game and be VC.

I didn't say Captain...i said Vice Captain.

Who has been more consistent on the field for this club in 2010-11 than Jordie Mckenzie.

He can still learn the game and be VC.

Sorry, didn't read your post correctly - my eyes aren't as good as they used to be.

I'd agree with the VC though - others I'd consider are Frawley & Trengove. Would you consider Watts if his form continued to grow over the next 12-18 months?

Guest Thomo

Colin Sylvia is one of the Melbourne players I admire the most, consistent generally most of the time, leads from the front, is deft in his ball delivery and contributes substaintially in most matches

He is a standout player for Melbourne.

Brad Green, last year a great player, able to produce good football, skill errors a lot less, a go to player who also stood out. but that was last year!

Nathan Jones, making decision errors, that he shouldnt, hesitating, being caught more then he should, and unable to shrug tackles like he used to.

Therefore out of all of these 4 players I believe Sylvia should be captain, he tries to encourage always the other players around him, he continualy brings other players into the game.

I believe Sylvia could handle the pressure more so then the others

Brad doesnt seem to be able to marry up his football inline with his Captaincy . No doubt about his passion or commmittment but I believe the extra pressure of that captaincy is affecting his football.

Both Nathan and Brett are too inconsistent at present .

Therefore I believe Sylvia is the better choice and has the Maturity to handle it .

Just my opinion but Im sure some here will jump all over me for saying it :rolleyes:

Best players don't always make the best captain. Look at who Collingwood, Geelong and Hawthorne had when they won their premiership. Compare that to St Kilda and North Melbourne.

Agree 100%. It was Green then daylight when he was appointed

Time to move on to the future, even though Grimes' personal form may dip he's one player I could never drop from the side. Moloney can still be the onfield leader when Grimes misses half a season injured and Green can still do some media, but it's time to let the young players know their time is now.

Grimes at years end will have missed two thirds of possible games played due to injury. At this stage it may be doubtful if he has an AFL career, let aone make him captain.

Moloney Captain. Mckenzie vice captain. players who lead from the front.

Next Year I want the WHOLE Leadership group to be our Hardnuts. i don't want to ee any Flash ee types in the leadership group, None, zippo...

Beamer / McKenzie / Jamar / Sylvia / Jones / Frawley / Grimes / Trengove!

No skilled types at all.

Strolled past the SEN tent yesterday. I was tempted to walk up and demand info from the Ox about his "98% sure" source, but i was too embarrassed. I came back later there was a big crowd listening to the panel interview Jack Grimes. Gee he was impressive. If he can manage to stay on the park and eradicate a few disposal glitches from his game he will make a great captain. Maybe not next year but as soon as he can string a season of relatively injury free games together. Trengove also has "skipper" written all over him.

Aside from Moloney, Rivers and Sylvia, senior leadership is pretty thin on the ground atm. The younger crop may bare more leadership fruit.

No skilled types at all.

?!

Being skilled and being tough/leadership material aren't mutually exclusive!

Also, I highly doubt Sylvia is in the frame for skipper. Leads the way on the field no doubt, but does he lead the way full stop? Can you count on him to be 100% professional all the time, especially regarding recovery etc? Can you picture 'mentoring' the young blokes or just giving them a quick ring to say "keep up the good work"? Handling the press on a regular basis?

I see Sylvia as a guy who has really only just reached 'full' adulthood himself. No doubting he's in our top couple of players in terms of ability, but I think he's still got some way to go before he's even remotely close to captain material.

?!

Also, I highly doubt Sylvia is in the frame for skipper. Leads the way on the field no doubt, but does he lead the way full stop? Can you count on him to be 100% professional all the time, especially regarding recovery etc? Can you picture 'mentoring' the young blokes or just giving them a quick ring to say "keep up the good work"? Handling the press on a regular basis?

I see Sylvia as a guy who has really only just reached 'full' adulthood himself. No doubting he's in our top couple of players in terms of ability, but I think he's still got some way to go before he's even remotely close to captain material.

Well said Nasher.

And as much as I like Jordie, the kid is only 21 and played 26 games. I am not sure about consistency in 2011. He has missed so much football, came back had 2 rusty games, played well against Essendon and was ordinary vs the Pies. There are more sensible options.

Well said Nasher.

And as much as I like Jordie, the kid is only 21 and played 26 games. I am not sure about consistency in 2011. He has missed so much football, came back had 2 rusty games, played well against Essendon and was ordinary vs the Pies. There are more sensible options.

Indeed, I'm not in favour of McKenzie, Trengove, or anyone with less than 50 (ideally 100) matches under their belt being burdened with the captaincy. Let the bloody kids find their feet in footy full stop first before putting others under their charge.

I was pro-Green for skipper last year. He's clearly struggling with the job, but who else was there? Moloney showed us earlier in the year why he did not get the gig (see other post expecting 100% professionalism from the captain). Despite the obvious difference in form on the field, I don't think giving Green the arse and putting Moloney in is any kind of monumental leap forward, but Moloney is a long way ahead of Sylvia in the running. The truth is that any of them are really just filling in time until the real crop of leadership is ready to lead.

?!

No Nasher, no no no. What I said I want, is no Davey's, no Greens. All burst a bleeder types for the Leadersahip group. Only those with Frontline 'ticka'.

Re Sylvia: I didn't say I want him to be Captain. In fact I didn't mention captain at all in the post. I'm sure the leadership group could come up with a sound choice with their own nouse.

Re Sylvia: I didn't say I want him to be Captain. In fact I didn't mention captain at all in the post. I'm sure the leadership group could come up with a sound choice with their own nouse.

I realise you didn't, only the first paragraph of my post was intended as a response to.yours, the rest was in response to the thread in general.