The Tom Scully Saga

There's a sure way to make him sign!!

Absolutely...at some stage the club has to make a stand...There is no point in us giving a signed GWS player game time on the MCG. We have to become really strong on this.

That said i am going to believe our coaches word at this stage.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Absolutely...at some stage the club has to make a stand...There is no point in us giving a signed GWS player game time on the MCG. We have to become really strong on this.

Ha. Ha.

So you're happy with the club's position then? And does becoming "really strong" have any tangible qualities? Or do we just be "really strong" about it?

This will involve an ultimatum: either sign or you're at Casey.

Unacceptable.

Amateurish.

Pathetic.

Any other words out there?

Edited by rpfc

cant name names but had a chat with a prominant afl person at the weekend, and stated that MFC were desperatley trying to arrange a big money deal to keep him but cant afford it. the club are seething as they want it out in the open but until his contract ends their hands are tied. they want Scully to front up but wont.

The club is seething because they want, what out in the open?

Scully won't front up about what?

Sounds to me like your saying, the club know he is gone. then why would the MFC be desperately trying to arrange big money?

Edited by tatu

Ha. Ha.

So you're happy with the club's position then? And does becoming "really strong" have any tangible qualities? Or do we just be "really strong" about it?

Nothing funny about it at all, You do return some strange responses sometimes 45. Others are most insightful.

Why would he sign at the GWS?

It would be like a business man going to the mines to work or going overseas to work, just becuase you get paid more doesnt mean you will always go.

Sculls is a melbourne boy, his family is in melbourne, he plays at the MCG a minimum of 12 games each year, the faith of the club was put into him with the priority pick and he will return that faith to the club because of the type of loyal person that he is. He well earn alot of money playing for the melbourne football club for 13 years.

Its a media beat up, that is all

This will involve an ultimatum: either sign or you're at Casey.

Unacceptable.

Amateurish.

Pathetic.

Any other words out there?

Its a non issue.

My belief is to take TS at face value and he hasnt signed. Doesnt make logically sense for TS to do it now.

Taking the polar opposite - if he has signed with GWS he will still sit down and go through the motions until the season is over and then move on ( not my belief)

Only Bock and Krak tipped their hand about GC17 before season end and that was a week or so before seasons end and both promptly did not play for the seniors again.

However - before TS makes any commitment either way - negotiating with the stance "either sign now or play for Casey" would be the same as showing him the door - I wouldnt stay if that was the way the MFC wanted to negotiate.

If my employer came to me and said "sign with us now or we'll turf you out to out rivals" having already known that I didn't want to discuss contract details until a certain period (which is well within my rights), it'd give me a great deal of incentive to leave.

That. Ultimate. Achieves. Nothing! (Nothing good anyway)

If he stays he will stay. If he wishes to leave at season's end he may very well do so. If he is given an ultimatum having not made up his mind it will only push him one way, IMO.

And I'm sorry, but your post before was pure rubbish. "Be strong on this" - it doesn't apply in this context at all.

The only target for next year is Trenners, and he'll stay cos of Tapscott.

I think this does Jack a disservice. He'll stay because he's gone on the record as wanting to be a (queue the cliche), "one team player". I believe him. And for what it's worth, I believe Tom too.

That is exactly what i would be asking in about 4 weeks time.

and thats where we differ - i wouldnt - complex negotiations - dont put a hand grenade on the table as it only has one outcome. That is to blow up in your face

If Tom says he aint gonna play for us then fair enough but until all negotiations have ended, all avenues exhausted - i would not use a negotiation tactic that only has one possible outcome.

If my employer came to me and said "sign with us now or we'll turf you out to out rivals" having already known that I didn't want to discuss contract details until a certain period (which is well within my rights), it'd give me a great deal of incentive to leave.

If he stays he will stay. If he wishes to leave at season's end he may very well do so. If he is given an ultimatum having not made up his mind it will only push him one way, IMO.

And I'm sorry, but your post before was pure rubbish. "Be strong on this" - it doesn't apply in this context at all.

spot on

Tom can make whatever decision he chooses. And good luck to him. It's his future anyway.

Imagine the moment, however, when he hands back his jumper with 31 on the back. (Special invite for Barass and Jimmy to be there).

Won't happen.

He's a stayer and whatever deal has to be done with his avaricious management company will be done.

Our player payments have been structured pretty smartly to accommodate just such a situation.

And there's money in the wings if things go pear-shaped contrary to other opionions.

Why would he sign at the GWS?

It would be like a business man going to the mines to work or going overseas to work, just becuase you get paid more doesnt mean you will always go.

Sculls is a melbourne boy, his family is in melbourne, he plays at the MCG a minimum of 12 games each year, the faith of the club was put into him with the priority pick and he will return that faith to the club because of the type of loyal person that he is. He well earn alot of money playing for the melbourne football club for 13 years.

Its a media beat up, that is all

There's so many people from the cities of Ausrtralia flying in & out of their Mine sites, in W/A,,, their Airports can't cope.

Tom can make whatever decision he chooses. And good luck to him. It's his future anyway.

Imagine the moment, however, when he hands back his jumper with 31 on the back. (Special invite for Barass and Jimmy to be there).

Won't happen.

He's a stayer and whatever deal has to be done with his avaricious management company will be done.

Our player payments have been structured pretty smartly to accommodate just such a situation.

And there's money in the wings if things go pear-shaped contrary to other opionions.

Out of interest, what is it you know about "money in the wings"?

and thats where we differ - i wouldnt - complex negotiations - dont put a hand grenade on the table as it only has one outcome. That is to blow up in your face

If Tom says he aint gonna play for us then fair enough but until all negotiations have ended, all avenues exhausted - i would not use a negotiation tactic that only has one possible outcome.

OK number 1, i do not think TS has signed anything yet.

But if he has, then he is in fact playing right now under the conditions of 2 contracts.....1 that he is happy with, the other he is just waiting for it to expire.

Now if this is infact the situation I am not happy about it at all....The MFC deserves better.

If you are happy under that scenario fair enough it is your opinion.

If Tom does leave it will be a massive kick in the nether regions to this club. We have not had a player of Tom's ilk since Ronald Dale B.

Finding out an answer in October will hurt Membership sales drastically...That is the only reason i would like an answer in 4 weeks.

But as i said earlier, i believe the coaches word at this stage.

"Money in the wings" reference is to a number of die-hard and well-heeled Demons supporters trying to ensure Tom remains at the Demons.

And we're not talking about the 60 year olds.

I realise it's been said, but it's like a Judd offer that got him to the Blues.

"Money in the wings" reference is to a number of die-hard and well-heeled Demons supporters trying to ensure Tom remains at the Demons.

And we're not talking about the 60 year olds.

I realise it's been said, but it's like a Judd offer that got him to the Blues.

We have plenty of supporters in high places, so I hope you are correct.

Perhaps part of the reason Tom hasn't signed is because we are yet to give him an offer, as we are working on putting together an attractive package for him?

Please oh please let this club have the balls to follow Carlton's lead and get this kid a contract that his management will be happy for him to sign. AFL can't touch us on grounds of Judd precedence.

But i didn't say that at all.....what i want to know is IF Tom has ALREADY signed a contract with GWS i think it is fair enough for the MFC to know.

I have never wanted to Force Tom to sign with us....i would hope he would see it as a good workplace.

But if infact he is at this stage playing under 2 contracts i would want to know, which is why i was interested in G Lyon's take

Not pure Rubbish at all 45.

If Tom does leave it will be a massive kick in the nether regions to this club. We have not had a player of Tom's ilk since Ronald Dale B.

personally i think Trengove will be a better player than Scully

personally i think Trengove will be a better player than Scully

Maybe, But i think Tom drags the Best out of a lot of players.....What i saw last Friday had Long Term Captain written all over it from Tom.

Do you really think that TS would work so hard to become the best young on-baller in the game and then throw away the only chance he will ever have to get a flag or three?

I think he'll sign on for 3 and if it doesn't happen it wasn't meant to be .

If he goes to GWS he will be making a massive career mistake and his very character will be tarnished.

We need strong characters with real integrity who keep their word.

If I sound a bit naive then the world is truly f#$%#ed .

GWS will be a huge embarrassment to the league .

Sheedy is senile and deluded to think Scully would trot up there to waste his time with second raters .

and Sheedy really is senile , as in insane .Collingwood love to fan the rumours but thats because we are a threat .

Some you will say this Is over reacting but this Is a massive point In time for our club. A point In time where we all look back and say what If we kept Scully. Our club has pulled it's self out of the [censored] and gained a great deal of respect on the back of Stynes and the new board. If we can win this battle to keep our blue chip player It will send a message out to all other clubs that we're not that insignificant push over we once were.

Schwab said something along the lines of we're finally becoming the club we should be.

I'm backing the club on this one.

But i didn't say that at all.....what i want to know is IF Tom has ALREADY signed a contract with GWS i think it is fair enough for the MFC to know.

I have never wanted to Force Tom to sign with us....i would hope he would see it as a good workplace.

But if infact he is at this stage playing under 2 contracts i would want to know, which is why i was interested in G Lyon's take

Not pure Rubbish at all 45.

So you're getting worked up over a hypothetical.

What if hypotheticals didn't exist?