Mfc: Addressing the struggle to keep up with the evolving game

H_T

Maybe. They're very well drilled.

Will be interesting match-ups down back. Kennedy, Darling, Q, Cox/Naitanui. MacDonald anyone ?

Yeah, I actually think it's very likely.

The doomsayers will be out in force.

Lucky they won't need to start a new thread about Roos being coach!

Some poor sod will be feeling very clever with himself for being the one who got in first...

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We have three poor-to-average oppositions coming up, if we will beat them all, like we should, we will be on 5.5-1.5 and probably 3rd on the ladder, 3 years ago we lost round 1 and 2 by 100 points each. Some people are suggesting we haven't improved at all, that is mind-blowing to me

Disagree here ^. West Coast are clearly not poor to average anymore (Sam Mitchell said as much)- especially at home. Adelaide & North have question marks that will be answered.

West Coast - Beat Port in Adelaide which is no easy task, dealt with North somewhat comfortably, and went close to a strong Sydney and Hawks in Tassie. Well drilled, hard to beat.

Adelaide - Dismissed Hawthorn (good showing), Lost to Fremantle (good side), poor showing against a rejuvenated Port. Have to be seriously respected.

North - Lost to West Coast & Freo in Perth, manhandled against Collingwood.

It's wishful thinking (although not impossible) that we will be 3rd on the ladder after Round 8.

edit:

In keeping with the theme, West Coast's game has evolved rapidly over Summer. On the weekend they pressed Hawthorn into submission time and again and gave them little room. They hunt in numbers and are committed to be first to the ball. They have confident in form talls and that makes a hell of a difference in terms of their structure. Embley is also rejuvenated. The loss of Waters will hurt them a little down back. But for the time being they are all on the same page. Looking at their midfield, Priddis, Rosa, Kerr, Embley, Shuey are getting alot of ball thanks to their big men and are thriving.

We face a tough task on friday thursday night footy. A competitive 4 quarter effort will be needed for an upset.

Edited by High Tower
Fixed

Not just that - think about where we're sitting heading into a match against an improved West Coast in Perth:

- competed with Sydney, but really should have lost

- thrashed by hawks

- not-very-convincingly beat bottom-feeder Brisbane

- had the virtual bye against GC

- the bye

A trend has already been showing, that teams perform poorly after having the bye.

I think we'll do well to keep it close.

Not defeatist, merely aware of the sizeable task ahead.

...and god help me, if we have to listen to supporters moan about our recruiting staff if Darling has a good match.

He was drafted at pick 26! We weren't the only team to pass him over!

Bear in mind, scope for development...

no, what you aren't addressing is my assertion that your argument makes no sense because we performed very well against all types of opposition on about a dozen occasions last year.

I reckon that Bailey has been caught asleep at the wheel over Summer. Plenty of teams have significantly changed the way they played from last year. Defensive pressure in the forward 50 has never been greater with teams using a full press to lock the ball in. From the first game I watched this year the change from last year was stark. Aesthetically I hate the way the game is now played, but that's for another thread.

I accept that we don't have to follow what every other team is doing, but our defensive efforts have been poor, we struggle to get the ball out of our defensive 50, our kick ins are poor, we turn the ball over through the middle because we rely on a low percentage precise kicking game, and Viney admits that the club hasn't bogged down the playing group with tactics because we're not in premiership mode.

We'll have some good games like last year, but flags are won by well drilled defensive sides and presently our game plan won't stand up in finals - imo. We're not like a well oiled machine where every player knows the role perfectly and executes it perfectly. We try and captilize on opposition turnovers through run and spread. It looks great when it works, but we need to exert far more pressure on the opposition from our forward half. The opposition is able to far too easily run the ball out due to our lack of a forward press.

Forget about last year and start analysing this year.

Edited by Hannabal

So Bailey is saying that in his fourth year as coach he cannot get the players to play the way he wants. How come Essendon, Richmond and North Melbourne were able to respond to their coach in one pre season?

Gee wizz Norf has responded with some great wins so far this season.... So has richmond....

Dons are playing fantastic footy at present, lets see if they can run out the season like this and have not put all the eggs in the early season basket.

Viney admits that the club hasn't bogged down the playing group with tactics because we're not in premiership mode.

Isn't that good enough for you? Highly-credentialed assistant coach, formaer captain and father of future draftee has no problem making this public statement.

Isn't that good enough for you? Highly-credentialed assistant coach, formaer captain and father of future draftee has no problem making this public statement.

No, it's not. They've been caught off guard and should have put far more effort into defensive strategy and how team's would press this year.

Is that good enough for you ?

No, it's not. They've been caught off guard and should have put far more effort into defensive strategy and how team's would press this year.

Is that good enough for you ?

it is if you take the club at their word thet they are putting general development before necessarily winning the game. As many others have said, how do we know to what extent there is a plan vs the kids' inability to execute it?

ps wasn't giving the ball to Tapscott from a kick-in and getting him to play on and boot as far down the middle of the ground as far as he could an attempt to combat the defensive press? Maybe not all that effective but does it indicate being caught off gaurd as you suggest?

Whether or not they were caught off guard - they certainly don't do it very well...

I'm sure they will get better at it.

I'm not overly concerned about roles and structures at this stage, but they better enstill some discipline in the group and the right structures in around 2013+.

When it actually will be The Difference.

I agree its not good enough because in every department our younger team should be learning right now that tactics are important and will change over time.

That doesn't mean we will always have the skills to execute.

There's defensive and offensive strategy, the press is both. To beat the press with the press you have to better at it but that quickly becomes a war of attrition over the years, alternatively there may be a different way. And it is possible that offensively defeating the press while defensively implementing it are exclusive. If so it does make it hard for us to practice against it at training as I've noted previously.

it is if you take the club at their word thet they are putting general development before necessarily winning the game. As many others have said, how do we know to what extent there is a plan vs the kids' inability to execute it?

ps wasn't giving the ball to Tapscott from a kick-in and getting him to play on and boot as far down the middle of the ground as far as he could an attempt to combat the defensive press? Maybe not all that effective but does it indicate being caught off gaurd as you suggest?

They don't structure up properly for 18 man zones or full presses, so it's pretty obvious it's not part of the gameplan. Strategy can be simple, it doesn't need to be overly complicated. Everyone can see what Collingwood does and he admits that it's a very simple strategy, but implementing it well is another thing.

And yes, trying to kick over a zone will be effective on occasions.

The Happy Gilmore solution. It's preferable to getting pinned holding the ball playing on from the square.

Is it an admission that we don't have the bodies and/or skills to implement anything more sophisticated, or simply that we got nuthin else...

Like all I'm hoping the former.

"People generally agree that we've got a talented young list, we've got a talented young administration, a very capable board, we're debt-free . . . but what does it look like from here?

-Cameron Schwab, From the opening post's link on this thread

Schwab told The Age last night his comments had been misunderstood and that he had contacted Bailey two nights ago to clarify an interview he gave with The Australian discussing a recently completed review of the club's board and football department in which Schwab praised the club's directors and its ''young administration'' but did not mention the Demon coaches. Schwab also suggested that the club's on-field progress could possibly be fast-tracked.

I can't see how his comments can't be misunderstood, but I guess we'll have to take Schwab on face value if he thinks they are "factually incorrect and factually wrong" (by the way don't these mean the same thing??)

Read more:

Stynes steps in to ease tension - The Age

I can't see how his comments can't be misunderstood, but I guess we'll have to take Schwab on face value if he thinks they are "factually incorrect and factually wrong" (by the way don't these mean the same thing??)

Read more:

Stynes steps in to ease tension - The Age

I agree. Cameron said a little too much too a journalist, and has since had to do quite a bit of back peddling.

Be more careful Schwabby in future...please. Better not to say anything i believe.

I agree. Cameron said a little too much too a journalist, and has since had to do quite a bit of back peddling.

Be more careful Schwabby in future...please. Better not to say anything i believe.

He wasn't balck and white and they read too much into what he said.

This is such a nothing issue.

There will always be 'smoke' as it were, but it only leads to a fire when someone, or the situation, provides some fuel.

And I don't see any.

Check back in three months...

He wasn't balck and white and they read too much into what he said.

This is such a nothing issue.

There will always be 'smoke' as it were, but it only leads to a fire when someone, or the situation, provides some fuel.

And I don't see any.

Check back in three months...

He said too much.

Edited by why you little