Round 3 Preview

mikeod

Melbourne v Brisbane

After a strong first half performance in their match against Hawthorn last week, the Dees couldnt get a sniff after the long break was over.

Smashed around the ground, Demons fans left the ground wondering when their young charges would ever start to show their full potential against stronger sides.

Brisbane, however, came up against a determined Bulldogs side, who ran the Lions ragged around Etihad Stadium.

The Lions would have been disappointed with the lackluster display, as they showed little resistance around the field. Their inability to score is also an ongoing concern, with the gaping hole left by skipper Jonathon Brown not getting any smaller.

The Brisbane coaches, however, would have noticed how easily the young Melbourne midfield were intimidated against the Hawks, and would hope experienced midfielders Simon Black and Luke Power could achieve similar results.

Melbourne looked extremely vulnerable coming out of defense last week, so expect the Lions to concentrate hard on pressuring the Demon defenders as they try to move the ball on.

Austin Wonaeamirri will play his first game in red and blue after regaining some fitness at Casey for the past few weeks. Cale Morton would be another welcome return if he can prove his fitness after a pre-season finger injury. Joining those two on the extended bench are Matthew Warnock, James Strauss and Jordan Gysberts.

Tom Collier and Aaron Cornelius join Jared Polec, who could make his debut, enter the squad for the Lions, who have yet to name any outs.

Melbourne legend and President Jimmy Stynes, usually quiet on on-field matters, took to the press to criticize his team after its unacceptable second half display last week.

And surely, nothing could whip the Dees into action quicker than a Jim Stynes spray.

They do look stronger across the field than a severely depleted Brisbane team, so expect the Demons to get their fans a touch more excited about their future this week.

Melbourne by 40

For the other 7 games, see HERE

A danger game for the dees, one we should win but as much as it pains me to say i like the Lions to cover the 31.5 line. We had a scratchy pre season, were poor in the second half last week, are struggling to kick big scores, the lions beat us in the pre season match (admittedly we had a pretty weak side in), our mid field is struggling and they still have a pretty good one. Also it might be a little slippery which does not suit our game style, with its emphasis on transition from defence via precise kicking and slick handball.

I was at the game on sunday night and ithink the turning point was when rioli hit chunk from then on they had chunks man loose for about 5 or more minutes two points I want to make 1st why did no one remontrate with rioli for the hit and try to hold up the game while chunk was being looked after 2nd in todays game it does,nt take good sides long to get on top when you have a loose man causing havoc and we made them look 2nd rate when we did it to them in the 2nd quater

Confirmed that Morton is the sub.

Big game today from Watts. I think this could be his breakout.

Sorry mate, not this game. I think he needs to be put on the ball to build confidence... He will get there, just dont feel it this year.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Demonland Forums  

• Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

MEANWHILE by Whispering Jack

… meanwhile, at about the same time that Narrm was putting its feet on the accelerator to obliterate the long-suffering Euro-Yroke combination, I heard someone mention in passing that Kuwarna was leading Waalitj Marawar by a whopping 46 to 1 halfway through the second quarter of their game over in Adelaide. “What is football coming to?” I asked myself.  In front of my eyes, the Demons were smashing it through the midfield, forcing turnovers and getting the footy to their forwards who w

Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons

PREGAME: Rd 12 vs Fremantle

The Demons head back on the road for the fourth time this season as the travel to Alice Springs to take on the Fremantle Dockers at Treager Park on Sunday afternoon. Who comes in and who goes out?

Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 74

PODCAST: Rd 11 vs St. Kilda

The Demonland Podcast will air LIVE on Monday, 27th May @ 8:30pm. Join George, Binman & I as we analyse the Demons victory at the MCG over the Saints in the Round 11. You questions and comments are a huge part of our podcast so please post anything you want to ask or say below and we'll give you a shout out on the show. If you would like to leave us a voicemail please call 03 9016 3666 and don't worry no body answers so you don't have to talk to a human. Listen & Chat LIVE

Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 25

VOTES: Rd 11 vs St. Kilda

Captain Max Gawn has a considerable lead over reigning champion Christian Petracca in the Demonland Player of the Year Award. Steven May, Alex Neal-Bullen & Jake Lever make up the Top 5. Your votes for the win against the Saints. 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1.

Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 54

POSTGAME: Rd 11 vs St. Kilda

After a very wasteful first half of footy the Demons ended up cruising to a clinical victory over the Saints by 38 points at the MCG and ultimately reclaimed a coveted spot in the Top 4.

Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 346

GAMEDAY: Rd 11 vs St. Kilda

It's Game Day and after 2 losses on the trot the Dees must win against the Saints today at the MCG to keep in touch with the Top 4. A loss today will see them drop out of the Top 8 for the first time since 2020.

Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 503

HEAVEN OR HELL by The Oracle

Clashes between Melbourne and St Kilda are often described as battles between the forces of heaven and hell. However, based on recent performances, it’s hard to get excited about the forthcoming match between these two sides. It would be fair to say that, at the moment, both of these teams are in the doldrums. The Demons have become the competition’s slow starters while the Saints are not only slow to begin, they’re not doing much of a job finishing off their games either. About the only th

Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

THE BLOW by Whispering Jack

Narrm’s finals prospects took a crushing blow after the team’s insipid performance at Optus Stadium against a confident Waaljit Marawar in the first of its Doug Nicholls Round outings for 2024.  I use the description “crushing blow” advisedly because, although the season is not yet at it’s halfway mark, the Demons have now failed abysmally in two of their games against teams currently occupying bottom eight places on the ladder.  The manner in which these losing games were played out w

Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports 6

HALF FULL by KC from Casey

It was a case of the Casey Demons going into a game with a glass half full in their match up against the Brisbane Lions at Casey Fields on Saturday. As the list of injured and unavailable AFL and VFL listed players continues to grow and with Melbourne taking all three emergencies to Perth for the weekend on a “just in case” basis, its little brother was always destined to struggle. Casey was left with only eight AFL listed players from who to select their team but only two - an out-of-form

Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles
  • Tell a friend

Love Demonland? Tell a friend!