Wonaeamirri

Red Sox

Thank god there is someone on here with a few brain cells.

Your bias is showing.

When are you going to let this one go, and try supporting your team for a change? We're perfectly comfortable defending OTHER young tall players, but when it comes to Morton, who actually has runs on the board, suddenly he's the red-heaed step-child?

Turn it up.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wona needs one thing.

A PRE-SEASON.

Actually,

AN INJURY FREE INTENSE PRE-SEASON.....................

yep..in a Nutshell.. Aussie must be fit.. If he cant maintain a high level of fitness then 2011 will be his last ( I think hes contracted through next year ?? )

In a marvllous world we'd have 10 on bench and play everyone...but the reality is theres only so many places and you need to earn themand keep them...othes are coming, somple as that. Its not a charity or a suburban club where ya fav's are carried. Do , or dont do...and if you dont..well we all know how that ends.

On song he lights up that forward line and would be marvellous to see him get a couple of late games this year and carry that form through to 2011.

whats it to be ?? I certainly dont know

Wonaeamirri has something that Bennell, Maric and Jetta don't (or haven't shown yet):

Goal nous.

Wonna is the second best set shot on the list (behind Green) and is a much more natural crumbing forward than Bennell or Maric are. All that is restricting him at the moment is his fitness. Give him a pre-season and then comment.

Your bias is showing.

When are you going to let this one go, and try supporting your team for a change? We're perfectly comfortable defending OTHER young tall players, but when it comes to Morton, who actually has runs on the board, suddenly he's the red-heaed step-child?

Turn it up.

Whilst I agree with you about stevetheman, it's a bit rich for you to be commenting on bias and defnding a player given your affection and resilience towards Johnson.

I think you need to get your emotions out of the equation.

There is not a player on the list that cannot be delisted if they are constantly injured and cannot get on the park.

Every year 4 - 6 players have to be delisted.

If he has a contract for next year and is either injured or not good enough to play in the AFL side in 2011 he will be delisted.

If he does not earn his spot on the list he will make way for some one else

Sad but true.

Why "won't it happen" ???

It's nothing to do with emotion. Wonaeamirri's main problem was a recurring hamstring injury. The club identified an issue with his tackling technique and have rectified it. He should now be able to string some games together, complete a full preseason and be right to go. Being that the club clearly rate him he will be given at least 2 more years to prove his body is capable. Remember they didn't delist Rivers and his injuries were more serious than Wonaeamirri's.

Thank god there is someone on here with a few brain cells.

You placed an 'a' where the word 'few' belongs. Easy mistake to make when you share the same problem.

I am/was a Wonna fan, but I just can't see him making it in this team now.

The year out came at a terrible time for him, he should've been cementing his spot, honing his skills/role. Instead he spent a year out, and another year struggling for form and fitness.

Meanwhile we draft Tapscott, Petterd's value and game explodes, and the coaching staff's favourite - Bennell, has shown he's far more athletic and far quicker than Wonna.

I had a hard time fitting Petterd into my future forward 6, and I'm a massive Petterd fan. It's easy to leave Wonna out.

It's going to be hard for him now, and probably one of the hardest decisions the club will have to make in terms of player management in a long time.

I'd love to see him fight back and prove me wrong, I just doubt it'll happen.

For the very reasons you put forward regarding Petterd, Bennell & Co. I too, find it difficult for Wona in cementing a spot. I agree, its going to be hard for him now. He has got to work his butt off (& literally) - pun intended - to make it. He still has more time. I hope he can put it to good use.

Yawn.

Amazing how desperate people are to make ludicrously early calls on players' careers for whatever reason. Aussie's been on the senior list for the same length of time as Sam Blease. Don't see many people suggesting he will be delisted or is 'on the edge'.

As a starting point, Aussie is contracted through next year.

Secondly, all it will take is Aussie finding some touch and kicking 3-4 at Casey on the weekend while we get beaten at Subi and this thread will be replaced by a "Bring back Wona" thread.

That forwarc arc is starting to get rather popular. They can't all play :( survival of the FITTEST me thinks. Good luck to Wonna though. Adds a bit of dash and pomp :)

That forwarc arc is starting to get rather popular. They can't all play :( survival of the FITTEST me thinks. Good luck to Wonna though. Adds a bit of dash and pomp :)

We need more than 6 forwards on the list.

A lot of people seem to be fixated on the only players deserving of list spots being in the Top 22. Considering there are 38 spots on the list, this is the wrong way to look at it.

Yawn.

Amazing how desperate people are to make ludicrously early calls on players' careers for whatever reason. Aussie's been on the senior list for the same length of time as Sam Blease. Don't see many people suggesting he will be delisted or is 'on the edge'.

As a starting point, Aussie is contracted through next year.

Secondly, all it will take is Aussie finding some touch and kicking 3-4 at Casey on the weekend while we get beaten at Subi and this thread will be replaced by a "Bring back Wona" thread.

Firstly, Blease was only on our list from 2009. If he is still scratching around and injured in 2011/2012 these threads/discussions would come for him.

Secondly, there is a very good reason why I started this thread which was to create discussion and opinion - you've made yours which thirdly, I agree with except that hopefully no one has to wait until he kicks 4 or 5 for Casey because IF his fitness warrants he should be given every opportunity with the Dees. I include next year in this.

If he plays only 1-2 games next year for a total of what? 5 games in 3 years - This will be a massive concern. You can't carry blokes for that long when there are so many options around him.

His talent is obvious and is not in question - not sure that anyone has really questioned him being on the list, more asking how long can it continue.

He is being given every chance and so he should be.

Are you sure about that ID ?

Aussie was rookie listed when he debuted in 08.

He was promoted to the senior list at the end of that season when we drafted Blease.

Aussie has been at the club a year longer than Blease, but on the senior list for the same period of time.

Are you sure about that ID ?

Let's see. Wona debuted in 2008, Round 3. Where was Blease 2008 ?

Um, he was playing alongside Watts, Strauss, Scully - but - with Vic Metro!!

We need more than 6 forwards on the list.

A lot of people seem to be fixated on the only players deserving of list spots being in the Top 22. Considering there are 38 spots on the list, this is the wrong way to look at it.

Watts Jurrah Bate Sylvia Jetta Bennel Petterd Maric Bail Wonna Green Davey Morton etc

yep aware we need more than 6 .. There's a few :)

Aussie was rookie listed when he debuted in 08.

He was promoted to the senior list at the end of that season when we drafted Blease.

Still on "Melbourne's list" however (even though rookie listed) and therefore longer than Blease.

Aussie has been at the club a year longer than Blease, but on the senior list for the same period of time.

Correct. You'd make a good trivia night host. Controversial nevertheless.

Apparantley Wonna lit the game up in the first 1/4 on the weekend and then proceeded to fade out for the rest of the game as did most of the Casey side.

It's nothing to do with emotion. Wonaeamirri's main problem was a recurring hamstring injury. The club identified an issue with his tackling technique and have rectified it. He should now be able to string some games together, complete a full preseason and be right to go. Being that the club clearly rate him he will be given at least 2 more years to prove his body is capable. Remember they didn't delist Rivers and his injuries were more serious than Wonaeamirri's.

There is a couple of big differences in your arguement.

Rivers played a lot more good games than Wona has before injury hit them both.

I may be wrong but I do not remember Wona winning the "rising star" of the year award that Rivers won.

I do not want him "gone" but I will go back to your comment that he will not be delisted.

If he does not put in a good year in 2011 he will be delisted!

There is a couple of big differences in your arguement.

Rivers played a lot more good games than Wona has before injury hit them both.

I may be wrong but I do not remember Wona winning the "rising star" of the year award that Rivers won.

I do not want him "gone" but I will go back to your comment that he will not be delisted.

If he does not put in a good year in 2011 he will be delisted!

Do what you need to do but he won't be delisted in the next 2 years. Delisting him will give us an extra pick, say in the 50 - 60's. I'm saying that the club will be much keener to persevere with a player that they rate than rolling the dice on a long odd's draft pick.

Do what you need to do but he won't be delisted in the next 2 years. Delisting him will give us an extra pick, say in the 50 - 60's. I'm saying that the club will be much keener to persevere with a player that they rate than rolling the dice on a long odd's draft pick.

This is also a very valid point.

As per my previous post he needs to get fit. real fit. Then be judged on his performances with that pre season fitness base under him.

MFC will give him every opportunity as long as he takes them.

I agree that if 2011 doesn't go well for him (by injury or form) then they may take a long hard look at his position however it get's back to Roost It's point that the club will need to make a decision on what is more potentially valuable, Aussie or a late pick???

He won't be delisted or traded out. But playing frequent games @ Casey would be a possibility.

I think a lot of that depends on the availability on the personnel who can replace that player.

Edited by dee-luded

This is also a very valid point.

As per my previous post he needs to get fit. real fit. Then be judged on his performances with that pre season fitness base under him.

MFC will give him every opportunity as long as he takes them.

I agree that if 2011 doesn't go well for him (by injury or form) then they may take a long hard look at his position however it get's back to Roost It's point that the club will need to make a decision on what is more potentially valuable, Aussie or a late pick???

If you cannot get on the park because of injury then almost anyone who can gives you more value.

I will repeat "I do not want him delisted"

I hope he has a blinder in 2011

Your bias is showing.

Turn it up.

Dappa,

I don't mean to talk myself up or be arrogant by saying such thing's.

I do however become frustrated with what seems to be a lack of football knowledge and smarts on this site.

I'm just getting so sick of reading these pathetic posts that talk up every single young player on our list.

Back to me being bias. I guess I react to the Morton posts most because he is the one who seems to be talked up most out of them all !!!

I am happy to have a civilized discussion about the Morton issue and whether or not he really has "runs on the board" or just "games" on the board.

My last post about him seemed to invoke a lot of anger from you and I am sorry if you felt I was too harsh. I am not having a dig at him. I am simply a fence sitter with him as opposed to being part of the "Morton is a gun" camp.

I do love our club and I hope that Morton will become as good as what most seem to think he already is including yourself Dappa. I'm not sure how much football

people play on this site and some may argue that it has no relevance to opinion but I will ask this Dappa....

I would like to know what you think Morton's strong points/strengths are ?

Edited by stevethemanjordan

I would like to know what you think Morton's strong points/strengths are ?

Cale Morton: I rated Cale as good. He had four consistent quarters from the perspective of being involved in the game, and winning the ball, and using it well. I still would have liked to have seen a little bit more intensity as far as pressure on the opposition, and that’s probably why he’s a bit down at the minute. He’s just got to add that to his game a lot more. He did a few things - there’s no doubt he was trying to do some things - but he’s got to make that a bit more of a focus in his game. But he was still pretty good, and had 24 possessions. But, they did put him under a lot of pressure. He had a lot of handballs that were under pressure, when he was getting tackled really hard, and not being able to dispose of the ball as effectively as we know he can.

This weeks VFL rating probably sums up Cale. Finds it, can use it well when not under pressure, struggles more with intensity, with the ball and without it & needs to get this into his game. Probably why is at Casey right now.

Plenty of upside though, especially if he gets that intensity going he will be a difficult player to control.