Green , McDonald , Sylvia

Bennell ,Watts , Jurrah

Davey , Newton , Dunn

Jamar , Trengove

Moloney

Scully , Bail , Bate , Jones

OUT : Grimes ( inj ) ,Jetta , MacDonald , Cheney ,Bartram , Spencer , McKenzie

IN : Sylvia , Jurrah , McDonald , Warnock , Bell , Newton , Bail

I like this, but I would be tempted to leave McKenzie or Jetta in for another chance and not bring in Warnock; I am worried about Essendon's smalls. Also with Garland, Frawley and Rivers, Warnock could be left out.

thus my team would be:

Bell , Garland , Rivers

Bruce , Frawley , McKenzie or Jetta

Bennell ,Watts , Jurrah

Davey , Newton (2nd Ruck) , Dunn

Jamar , Trengove

Moloney

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bell , Garland , Rivers

Bruce , Frawley , McKenzie or Jetta

Bennell ,Watts , Jurrah

Davey , Newton (2nd Ruck) , Dunn

Jamar , Trengove

Moloney

For heavens sake, Newton is a rookie. He CANNOT be picked unless there is a long term injury and he is ELEVATED to the main list.

It aint that hard.

Jetta gets dropped before Bennell does.

To me, Bennell plays a bit of an outside game, run & carry which Sylvia can do.

Jetta I think is more in & under around the contests & is a handy opportunist around goals. Thats why I suggested it that way. IMO they both want to get games for themselves, but I reckon its Jetta's turn to get a run of games to develop his roving. Either or, but he deserves some time in this development year.

The next we'll need to see is Maric as well, to see where he's at, with his attitude, etc.

As you may know, I'm not bothered at this point re the ladder. I'm more interested in building a, to be premiership list.

Next season I hope for the 'Eight'.

Dunn can pinch hit in the ruck for about 30% of the day, then Rush does 60% and Bate can do the rest to get him into the game and also develop his physicality around the ball. He has a big frame and needs to learn how to use it. This 10% in the ruck could help understand a bit more of what his body is capable of.

I like the idea of Bate in the ruck for the reasons you mention, particularly when he goes AWOL. However, I'm not sure I've ever seen him jump...

Ins: Bail, Sylvia and Jurrah

Out: Grimes, Jetta and Spencer

Fitzpatrick played a lot of the Werribee game in the ruck. He contested well against bigger bodies and won his share of the hitouts. he did not win a lot of the footy but when he did he looked good. He is very quick and nimble for a big guy.

He obviously needs to build strength but it would not surprise me to see him selected sooner rather than later.

he does play as a forward in most games but they said because spencer played for melbourne and johnson was out they had no other option

but they did say he moved really well and is looking very good

To me, Bennell plays a bit of an outside game, run & carry which Sylvia can do.

Jetta I think is more in & under around the contests & is a handy opportunist around goals. Thats why I suggested it that way. IMO they both want to get games for themselves, but I reckon its Jetta's turn to get a run of games to develop his roving. Either or, but he deserves some time in this development year.

The next we'll need to see is Maric as well, to see where he's at, with his attitude, etc.

As you may know, I'm not bothered at this point re the ladder. I'm more interested in building a, to be premiership list.

Next season I hope for the 'Eight'.

But Bennell has done five times more for the Dees than Jetta in the past few games. I hardly saw Jetta on Sunday, yet Bennell was solid. He has no reason to be dropped.

my thoughts on the changes...

OUTS

Grimes, out obviously due to injury which is a bit of a downer.

Spencer, out not only because he caused a few vital turnovers, but no need to have him in the team, and we havent won a match with two ruckmen

Cheney, cannot have turnovers such as he did out of defence, although he did some good defensive spoils but he caused 3-4 goals, so to win this week i think drop him, and i think really he got the gig due to the selectors thinking the match was as good as gone.

maybe jetta or bennell, this is only a maybe, as they both could well play a role in a winning team, and even if jetta and bennell werent as damaging, their chasing and pressure skills where top notch.

INS

Morton, to play the grimes role, pity for strauss injury, but morton will play the good disposal behind the ball role better than anyone else.

sylvia, cant not have sylvia in, helped out in the ruck so spencer can go, but really needs to run hard to be damaging against the opposition ruckmen.

either

Bail, hard running, definately necessary, i think he is amazing and that hard running can break the field apart, and also we missed that hard running on the weekend, with several players not having options, this could help

or

jurrah could help to test a diminished essendon backline, but jetta or bennell would probably need to be dropped for him to play more so than for bail

IN: Bail, McDonald, Morton, Sylvia, Warnock

OUT: Grimes (inj), Jetta, MacDonald, Rivers, Spencer

FB: Garland, Warnock, Bartram

HB: Bruce, Frawley, Cheney

C: Morton, McKenzie, Davey

HF: Sylvia, Bate, Bail

FF: Watts, Green, Bennell

FOLL: Jamar, Moloney, McDonald

INT: Dunn, Jones, Scully, Trengove

EMERG: Jetta, MacDonald, Newton

I'd give Jurrah one more week with Casey to get the match fitness up. Also Dunn will have to provide the ruck support for Jamar, was looking to get Newton in for that role but couldn't fit him in. We desperatly need Martin to find some form at Casey so he can play that role as it's still far, far to early for Fitzpatrick.

Edit: Forgot the interchange.

Edited by Tall Defence

What I would like to see....

IN: Jurrah, Sylvia, Morton

OUT: Grimes (INJ), Cheney, Spencer

What I think will happen.....

IN: Sylvia, Morton

OUT: Grimes (INJ), Cheney

The word on Bail is that he should be coming back into the seniors asap - We’ll be tempted to rush him in, I think.

Sylvia is a definate and I think the Melbourne structure looks better with Jurrah in.

For me INS: Bail, Sylvia, Jurrah

OUTS: Grimes, Spencer, Jetta

Bailey usually gives the boys 2 games in a row so I'd expect Cheeney tobe given another go.

But Bennell has done five times more for the Dees than Jetta in the past few games. I hardly saw Jetta on Sunday, yet Bennell was solid. He has no reason to be dropped.

Bennell work is more easily noticed as he plays a lot out in space & holds onto the ball for longer. But don't underestimate the little guy in under the packs doing a lot of quick hands or defensive work, & putting blocks on etc.

We cant put all the games into just a few. We have to give games of experience around because were trying to develop theses kids to bring them on.

Bennee has played I think, around 12 games allready this year.

Jetta has just had the 6.

IMO they will both be very important players for us going forward & I think Jetta needs a bit more time out there, at this stage.

theres a growing consensus here it seems for Sylvia, Jurrah and Bail. Lets see how close we are ?? :)

IN: Sylvia, Warnock... and just bring in Jurrah regardless!

OUT: Grimes (inj.), Jetta, Bartram (??)

- Grimes is a MASSIVE loss. Our courage down back is gone!

- I don't think McDonald will be fit yet. Cautious approach with him...

- Keep blooding games into young Jake Spencer.

- Bail B.O.G. for Casey Seniors but I'd give him 1 more week there to get some match fitness and string games together after coming back from injury.

Whilst I tend to agree that its beneficial ( long term ) to allow the kids to string together games theres also the overiding constraint of need v want. We need to replace teh run and poise of Grimes. The best fit currently is I think Bail. he's worked dillgently and patiently in the Magoos. I think hes earnt his opportunity to return to senior ranks. We dont categorically need a second ruck of Spencers ilk atm. yes we need, ftm , to persist with him but not at all costs.

The Bombers wont be fielding an exceptionally tall team I think this week. Jamar ought and should prevail.

I really don't think Jurrah will be back in the side against the bombers.

Form is one thing, but he hasn't built up the match fitness yet.

Another week in the VFL and he should be just about ready to come in like Garland did.

We dont need Jurrah on the paddock all day.. just 60 mins will inflict enough damage and fear into the oppo's coaching box. Footy is as much a mind game as physical, some might say more. Liam hasnt been unablel to run out his games in the Maggoos. Roll the dice I say :)

Both Jurrah and Watts are quite capable playing up the ground and they can just as easily take turns dragging theire respective defenders with them opening up our forward line.

What I would like to see....

IN: Jurrah, Sylvia, Morton

OUT: Grimes (INJ), Cheney, Spencer

What I think will happen.....

IN: Sylvia, Morton

OUT: Grimes (INJ), Cheney

Don't know why you wouldn't want Bail in. He was brilliant in the three games he's played this year. Never stopped running and sometimes pushed forward for a few goals. We've missed him badly, I think.

Don't know why you wouldn't want Bail in. He was brilliant in the three games he's played this year. Never stopped running and sometimes pushed forward for a few goals. We've missed him badly, I think.

yep i have to agree

i'd rather him in the team and keep morton out.

Does anybody actually read any of the thread they're posting in??

The next person to suggest Newton should be elevated should have their account suspended for a day or something.

I will formaly submit my appology for the suggestion of Newton coming in despite him being on the rookie list and McKenzie being our allocated rookie promotion and Spencer currently being elevated for Petterd. I was thinking Newton could be elevated for Meesen forgetting that Meesen to is on the rookie list.

So in that case I'd have Spencer as an emergency for this weekend instead of Newton.

Jurrah doesnt need to lead up the ground. If he can sit in the forward 50 most of the day things will happen - he's just that sort of player. That allows Watts to play up the ground more and Bate to lead from CHF.

Jurrah doesnt need to lead up the ground. If he can sit in the forward 50 most of the day things will happen - he's just that sort of player. That allows Watts to play up the ground more and Bate to lead from CHF.

Quite right in that he doesnt HAVE to lead up the ground...but he can and does. Whomever are assigned him his task will be take them out of their defences effectiveness by leading them a merry run around. The trick I feel is to not present the opposition with predictability. Bate can be a more stay at home forward but he to can just as happily play a lead up KPP role. The danger for essendon is if we keep the forward fifty fluid and open. If we congest it..or allow them to then they can have some hope to shutting down our scoreboard. This was where Petterd and Aussie gave us options by making the poskets dangerous..we need to make them so again.

Id try Bennell and jeta in respective pockets. Bring Davey back out towards the wing playing a HFF. Sylvia on a Wing. Bail on other and Bruce at HBF. of course everything's fluid but thatd be the nature of lineup .

We cant let Essendon get settled into the game.. We need intensity from the first bounce and a lead at half time as they will try and get back into it. Hopefully our good 3rd quarter reord wil remain intact and their 4th quarter lacking.

Happy to take a grubby win here :)

Edited by belzebub59

yep i have to agree

i'd rather him in the team and keep morton out.

Bail is the sleeper our list.

He surprised a lot of people when he played his few games earlier in the year. He is one of the most well rounded footballers on the list. Think Trengove and Grimes. Strong, quick, good hands, skills and endurance. His groins are what might hold him back.

I like Bail, balance poise and agood head for decisions. He can , and does, have it within to take a game on and we need players like that. A good user of the ball and a handy kick either end. Seemed to be growing in confidence and belief in being there til his recent injury.

sleeper? might be waking up !!! :)

Guys we seldom have more than two changes that are not forced by injury.

There will be I think only two changes.

Mcdonald will not be risked and what for he has another year in him if we do not push him unecessarily.

And for what reason we are not about to play finals.

Bailey normally gives players more than one game at senior level so that makes Spencer and Cheney safe.

IMO the changes will be:

Out Jetta and Grimes (injured ).

In Sylvia and either Bail or Morton.