Mitch Morton

Freak

He is a very skilful player. I would want him to have a shot instead of over-possess the footy. I have no doubt he will be on our radar

Since when is choosing the best option over possessing the ball? :wacko:

We have just pensioned off the last of players who lived by the GOTY, MOTY behaviour.

Maybe we could organise a trade of a no flaws forward for a very skilful player in the VFL.

For free only.

Not even pick 100. Well, maybe pick 100, but not a pick we would otherwise use at the draft.

There's no such thing as a 'free' player - there's always a price to pay. In this case, it's Morton or a borderline young player such as Cheney, or perhaps some kid from the under 18s who is as tough as nails but slipped through the net -- say, a Jordie McKenzie. It might be low risk but it wouldn't make the selection any less wasteful. Keep our precious positions on the list for someone who deserves it.

Don't want him. It is evident he doesn't adhere to team rules.

Averages just under 2 goals a game.

Can't get a game at Richomond...why ?

I'll have an educated guess and say...GC17.

There's no such thing as a 'free' player - there's always a price to pay. In this case, it's Morton or a borderline young player such as Cheney, or perhaps some kid from the under 18s who is as tough as nails but slipped through the net -- say, a Jordie McKenzie. It might be low risk but it wouldn't make the selection any less wasteful. Keep our precious positions on the list for someone who deserves it.

Yeah that's true. When I said 'free' I wasn't thinking about the player he'd knock off the list.

But clearly we'd never go down that route.

I'd take him provided Richmond agrees to pay 100% of Morton's contract, upgrades one of our draft picks in the deal, the AFL agrees to give us an extra spot on our list and the media promises not to report any of his comments following his 3rd BOG performances for Casey Resrves.

And if Cale promises to eat more.

He is a very skilful player. I would want him to have a shot instead of over-possess the footy. I have no doubt he will be on our radar

Which would Suggest categorically that he isn't, which is good because why the F would we want him.

Edited by Roost It

From what I've been hearing he is a nightmare to coach, and a nightmare to get along with.

His teammates don't like him, and neither do the coaching staff.

Yes he has talent, but talent without attitude counts for little.

If Warsfold, who is a very tough coach, couldn't deal with him, and Richmond want him out, I can't see how we could turn him around, or more importantly, why we should.

You'd consider it for a very very cheap deal, where the risk is minimal, but I certainly wouldn't look to trade anything decent for him.

Couldn't be another M Thorpe could he?

Dean Bailey has been in contact with Salopek from Port a lot recently.. i reckon we might land him

Wow, given the talk of Boak to GC, how filthy would Port be if we landed Salopek? Is Salopek out of contract at the end of this year?

Dean Bailey has been in contact with Salopek from Port a lot recently.. i reckon we might land him

Would prefer boak

obviously we would love Boak or Salopek but it won't happen.

You can't compare Morton to Newton. morton has proved himself at AFL level. He did this last season. You can't say no to a player purely because of attitude, work ethic. just look at Fevola and Richardson, they both were criticised for their lack of work ethic. Sometimes you just have to roll the dice on players. Need I remind everyone that I was the one 4 years ago saying we should have a go at Podsiadley from Werribee. how he didn't get picked up is beyond me. He kicked bags and bags of goals on AFL listed players year in year out. All recruiters should be ashamed..

Think outside the square people

obviously we would love Boak or Salopek but it won't happen.

You can't compare Morton to Newton. morton has proved himself at AFL level. He did this last season. You can't say no to a player purely because of attitude, work ethic. just look at Fevola and Richardson, they both were criticised for their lack of work ethic. Sometimes you just have to roll the dice on players. Need I remind everyone that I was the one 4 years ago saying we should have a go at Podsiadley from Werribee. how he didn't get picked up is beyond me. He kicked bags and bags of goals on AFL listed players year in year out. All recruiters should be ashamed..

I reckon the only big redeeming factor about Morton is that he's probably the most suitable of the "available" forwards going round. In the sense that he has a moderate amount of talent, moderate amount of form... But just because there's no really good ones available doesn't mean we go for someone with serious question marks.

It's clear we want another good forward. But IMO the only situation that would warrant us seriously approaching one would be a Bradshaw type situation. Where the player is a confirmed AFL gun, is useful for 3+ years, is not going to keep another young guy from a spot... You know, a solid trade. You would have to give up more, but that's what makes it worthwhile. So many trades turn out to be Johnstone/Hay/Rawlings types where the club getting the established name ends up losing out in the end. I'm all for trading for a player while you're in a window, but not doing it desperately with risks involved.

Besides, what they'd be asking for? It would make it hard to sign on the dotted line. It's not like he's being squeezed out by 3 better forwards. They NEED players who have scored goals at AFL level. They'd be accepting probably only an early second rounder for him... And ask yourself. Would you rather an early second round pick CHF in 2010 (who should develop by 2011 when we're serious) or would you rather Morton?

I'd have to go the former. Every time.

I honestly don't think the Tigers will give up Mitch Morton. Hardwick rates him in his topp 22. IT just looks like he is out of favour becasue Hardwick wants Mitch to learn to run through the middle of the ground more to add another string to his bow. BUt he is pretty thick so it will probably take a while.

Morton has had seven years in the system at two clubs where he has demonstrated poor application, selfish or bad attitude and no team discipline. Another talented footballer who cant grasp whats required at the top level. No flaws Newton is in the same bag. They are a dime a dozen.

And there are enough cases to confirm that you can and should say no to player because of attitude and work ethic. I wonder how St Kilda feel about "rolling the dice" on Lovett, Bulldogs with Akermanis and Richmond with Polak, Cousins, Taylor and Connors (and Morton). Given Jonathan Brown's groin is killing his career within 2 years then Brisbane have their own problems with Fevola. Carlton are a better side to be rid of him.

And btw its Podsiadly ....James Podsiadly :lol: