Cale Morton

Morton = Gun.

If he can keep growing up, and bulking out he will become a massive handful for most teams in the comp. Love having him back on the paddock.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a good look at these guys at Casey a couple of weeks ago. I can confirm that Morton is definitely taller than Watts, and not far from spencer.

Cale did look taller,

Ok, so hang on. MFC.com has Watts listed as 196cm... and I've heard reports he's jumped to 198cm. If Morton is "taller" than Watts as you say, that would make him 197 at least, and as tall as 199?

I remember standing next to Bate near the Sandy huddle (when he was spectating on the day) in the old days... He's got nearly 10cm on me, but I was almost at eye level with him. If you look closely at Watt's posture, he stoops a bit. Nothing wrong with that of course (Both the G. Abletts hunch appallingly, and look at them), but it could effect the way they compare from a distance.

i think it is rather that he is deceptively quick, he looks slow but he is taking such large steps that he is really rather quick.

only thing he needs to improve from the weekend was his awareness, but having said that it will probably happen missing 10 weeks of football

his kicking skills are immaculate still, and i can only hope he plays a more offensive role for melbourne this season

Cale Morton might well become our secret weapon. Will fly under the radar behind the likes of Watts & Jurrah. Definite candidate at least for CHF, but can play in a multitude of positions if and when required. He can be dangerous and will pop up frequently and annoy opposition coaches. Extremely creative, great arsenal of skills. I just hope the FD tap into him and utilise him to full capacity.

As like another astute observer has stated, I can see him being a floating link for our other forwards during transition. One of the better options to rely on hitting up targets in our forward 50.

Just as people ask how Richmond managed to pick Fiora at 3 and pass up Pavlich at 4...

They will also ask what possessed West Coast to take Masten at 3...

Ahhh... I wouldn't go with that comparison just yet.

Fiora and Pavlich?

Masten and Morton?

Morton hasn't shown any more than Masten at this stage....

Unless of course you are a biased Melbourne supporter which makes it nearly

impossible to debate such issues or in this case comparisons.

I will just assume you are a biased one-eyed melbourne supporter that loathes any

player not wearing the red and blue.

Man do I hate these kinds of posts.

Ahhh... I wouldn't go with that comparison just yet.

Fiora and Pavlich?

Masten and Morton?

I will just assume you are a biased one-eyed melbourne supporter that loathes any

player not wearing the red and blue.

..?

I think you're biased against one eyed supporters!

In all honesty, I agree - Morton is a hell of a lot better than Masten.

No question.

..?

I think you're biased against one eyed supporters!

In all honesty, I agree - Morton is a hell of a lot better than Masten.

No question.

And in all honesty, what do you think a West Coast supporter would say

about the comparison between Masten and Morton?

Tip: Use your brain here... Try and step out of the "Melbourne supporter" role

here if at all possible for you.

Edited by stevethemanjordan

The only reason I am against biased Melbourne supporters is because it restricts intelligent and constructive

criticism and talk on forums such as these.

Well unfortunately for you, this is a Melbourne forum, and on Melbourne forums chances are there are going to be one-eyed Melbourne supporters.

Plenty of intelligent and constructive criticism occurs on this forum outside of the ridiculous posting provided by some. Maybe you just need to look harder.

And for what it's worth....

The only reason I am against biased Melbourne supporters is because it restricts intelligent and constructive

Comments like that are as bad as a Christian arguing religion with a Jew.

according to melbourne supporters in 3 years time we will have the AA team. scully/trengove to be better than judd, morton to be better than goddard/the next goodes, watts will be as good as riewoldt (if not better), frawley to be better than scarlet, bate will be the next o'keefe, grimes going to have a brownlow, sylvia will win a norm smith all things i must have heard in the last 2-3weeks

Edited by volders

And for what it's worth....

Comments like that are as bad as a Christian arguing religion with a Jew.

Would Sir like a glass of pompous with his meal?

I would love one thanks Robbie.

The truth is a bit hard to swallow isn't it?

Truth?

Pffft.

Pompous is the perfect word.

I simply believe Morton is better than Masten, without rose tinted glasses.

I also think Palmer, Grimes, Dangerfield, Pears and many others are better than Masten.

It's nothing to do with being a one-eyed Melbourne

supporter, rather it's the fact I think WC screwed up and on top of that, the player taken directly after him will be a very very good player (if he isn't already).

How about you start posting something worthwhile for change rather than your boorish tripe?

Interesting to note that in the final minutes, when the game was there to be won, Bailey had Morton playing deep in attack. And I don't think it was because they were trying to hide him!!

That IS interesting. Could be a forward weapon no-one predicted. Kind of like Petterd was.

I would give your posts some sort of respect if they weren't based on this statement, which is, in point of fact... wrong.

He's played more games, averages 2 more disposals that Chris despite not being a midfielder, has kicked more goals despite playing much of his time as a rebounding defender/wingman/linkman... and he's essentially a skinny tall that is miles off his best. Oh, and he's 8 months younger.

And if you don't like stats... He is a better kick, and has a better engine than Masten, and his best game so far eclipses that of Chris'. Just about any coach would take him out of the two given his versatility, height, ball magnetism and the runs he has on the board to this point. Ask around. Or on Bigfooty if you feel the need. You'll find it has nothing to do with being a demon supporter. He happens to be very highly rated outside of MFC. Thought not without his faults of course.

People do it on here all the time, and with the exception of Y_M, we cover quite a lot of ground in unbiased debate.

You don't know the half of it, mate.

I will go with you on one point though. It's far too early to be comparing either with any Significant meaning. Cale could still develop into a completely different player. But fair go, having a crack at demons supporters, on a site called "demonland" for saying that Morton is better than Masten when he has, to this point, been exactly that is a bit rich.

Edited by Dappa Dan

Tip: Use your brain here... Try and step out of the "Melbourne supporter" role

here if at all possible for you.

You're a nasty piece of work, aren't you? Bad day was it?

Anything constructive to add, or are you just going to continue with slating the posts of others without providing anything of substance?

Simply stated, I've seen much much better from Morton than I have from Masten.

I don't see where Masten's scope for improvement is to come from, but I can clearly see it with Cale.

Anything decent to respond with? or is that too hard for you?

I love cale, which is quite awkward considering he is good mates with my younger sister. She is mates with both of the boys mentioned and i know which one I'd choose everytime in regard to onfield and off field matters. Cale is a model professional and in my opinion, the future captain of this footy club. West coast supporters over here, and i have many mates who are, often talk of him as the one that got away. Whilst that may be harsh on masten, who i believe will turn into a good footballer, he is quite simply not in cale's class. Did i mention i love cale?

Guest Thomo

I was right next to the bench on Saturday, and Cale was clearly the third tallest Melbourne Player. He looked quite a bit taller than Miller and Frawley, who are listed as 191 (it would not surprise me if Frawley is actually shorter than that) Watts and Jamar both looked taller than him (both about the same, Jamar listed at 198cm), so I would say he must now be about 195cm. Watts looks like he will carry more weight, Cale does not seem to have the body type, looked very thin in the limbs. I suspect he will not bulk up, and my struggle to fill a key position. However I think he will be an awesome wingman.

Some level headed, unbiased Eagle supporters might just have the same view that Morton at this stage has shown more than Masten. Did you ever think of that ?

I'm not saying that IS the case...but as you stated, some need to take a step back and smell the roses, even those who are demanding of others to take off the rose coloured glasses.

That IS interesting. Could be a forward weapon no-one predicted. Kind of like Petterd was.

Err, what?

It's been my understanding that Morton was drafted with him playing CHF very much in the mindset.

Pompous is the perfect word.

I simply believe Morton is better than Masten, without rose tinted glasses.

I also think Palmer, Grimes, Dangerfield, Pears and many others are better than Masten.

It's nothing to do with being a one-eyed Melbourne

supporter, rather it's the fact I think WC screwed up and on top of that, the player taken directly after him will be a very very good player (if he isn't already).

How about you start posting something worthwhile for change rather than your boorish tripe?

I post when I feel I need to rather than as much as I can.

Pompous is the wrong word because I am not trying to put myself above others. I simply have the view that some

supporters on here find it hard to assess players and struggle to see the weakness's of players that don the red and blue.

Is that really pompous?

I have much to say that isn't boorish tripe. I enjoy it when people can bring out the negatives and positives of our players rather

than state that they are 'guns', 'stars' just because they wear the red and blue.

It was more your analogy that was what got me going. (The Pavlich and Fiora one)

I am enjoying Cale's development as much as any Melbourne supporter but I do see that he has to work on a many thing's to

become the player that some on here already see him as.

I would give your posts some sort of respect if they weren't based on this statement, which is, in point of fact... wrong.

He's played more games, averages 2 more disposals that Chris despite not being a midfielder, has kicked more goals despite playing much of his time as a rebounding defender/wingman/linkman... and he's essentially a skinny tall that is miles off his best. Oh, and he's 8 months younger.

I could argue all of these points Dappa. Cale has played more games because Masten has had more trouble getting on the field because of injury which will obviously show Morton averaging more disposals, kicking more goals etc etc. Being younger doesn't have anything to do with it but being skinnier and can, yes. Is he miles off his best though? A presumption yes. I could also say Masten is Miles off his best because he is injured and is also young.

And if you don't like stats... He is a better kick, and has a better engine than Masten, and his best game so far eclipses that of Chris'. Just about any coach would take him out of the two given his versatility, height, ball magnetism and the runs he has on the board to this point. Ask around. Or on Bigfooty if you feel the need. You'll find it has nothing to do with being a demon supporter. He happens to be very highly rated outside of MFC. Thought not without his faults of course.

Yes. All a matter of opinion. And as I stated above, I was picking up on the comparison between Morton and Masten being like Pavlich and Fiora. I think Morton has some thing's going for him dappa. But I also see a lot of flaws and all we can do is hope there will become less and less of them over the years. Stating that Morton has a better kick is ridiculous as well as stating Morton's best game has been better than Masten's.

See below as to why:

A ) You don't follow West Coast

B ) You obviously haven't seen nearly as much of Masten as you have Morton.

I will go with you on one point though. It's far too early to be comparing either with any Significant meaning. Cale could still develop into a completely different player. But fair go, having a crack at demons supporters, on a site called "demonland" for saying that Morton is better than Masten when he has, to this point, been exactly that is a bit rich.

Different players, different opinions but fair enough.

You're a nasty piece of work, aren't you? Bad day was it?

Anything constructive to add, or are you just going to continue with slating the posts of others without providing anything of substance?

Read above. Plenty of substance.

Simply stated, I've seen much much better from Morton than I have from Masten.

I don't see where Masten's scope for improvement is to come from, but I can clearly see it with Cale.

Anything decent to respond with? or is that too hard for you?

Well I can see Masten's scope for improvement as clear as day. Just as I can see Cale's too.

They are different players that play different roles so it's hard and always will be hard to judge which one

is more valuable. I guess West Coast needed a replacement for Judd and Masten seemed to be the best 'steriotypical'

mid in that draft. We went for Morton who is the modern day versatility type player.

Two players who don't deserve to be so harshly compared just like the Watts and Nic Nat comparison.

Hell if we are all really going to argue about this, why didn't we just go Rioli at 4 ?!

Some level headed, unbiased Eagle supporters might just have the same view that Morton at this stage has shown more than Masten. Did you ever think of that ?

Yes, I am sure there would be some. But injuries play a part, as well as positions. Morton is a free roamer, gathers many loose balls but is not damaging by foot at this stage.

Masten is your typical on-baller who gets his own ball and plays outside a bit too but doesn't dominate games yet. Surely all of this provides enough to show that I am not trying to be arrogant.

There are arguments for both sides and I think it's unfair to judge players like Morton and Masten this early in their careers. I try to be fair with my views however. I hope that has been shown in the above.

Edited by stevethemanjordan