Our depth never looked better

Vagg

Yep that's what I'm hoping for, as well as Martin, I believe he'll become a mobile 'Gorilla'.

Fitzpatrick is a wild spec only at this stage. He has shown absolutely NOTHING to suggest he will be a senior player. Why do people think otherwise? Blind faith?

Fitzpatrick is a wild spec only at this stage. He has shown absolutely NOTHING to suggest he will be a senior player. Why do people think otherwise? Blind faith?

There's enough hating on this site.

He's 200 cm and finished equal-third (?) in the AFL Draft sprinting, or something like that. A very mobile tall forward/ruckman. How can you write him off without seeing him?

Great depth: Morton, Gysberts, Strauss, Bail, Wona, Jetta,

Not sure: Macdonald, Dunn, Maric, McNamara, Cheney

Years away: Spencer

Bad Depth: Bell, Newton, Miller, Healey

Plenty still to come as well.

I think you have summed it up well. And don't forget one or two guns each year for the next 5 years,.... zoom zoom zoom, whoops wrong team

He's 200 cm and finished equal-third (?) in the AFL Draft sprinting, or something like that. A very mobile tall forward/ruckman. How can you write him off without seeing him?

Fastest time for repeat sprints.

Fastest time for repeat sprints.

Yeah, that's it. For someone who's 2 metres tall...shite, he could probably chase Davey through a pack and tackle him

Only relevant for leading in the forward line. It means nothing if he can't read the ball/play or lead into the right positions. All these attributes mean nothing if they can't be used properly. Still very young.

Eth38; it’s odd that in another thread (which understandably got deleted) you said you see Spencer as a likely delistee at years end, but have taken issue with a poster for “writing Fitzpatrick off”: the way I read it he was only saying that Fitzpatrick is no certainty to make it. He’s right.

From what I saw last year of Spencer I was impressed with his aggression and thought he had a good leap in the centre bounces. I havn’t seen him at Casey this year so I don’t know how he’s been coming on, but the reports seem resoundingly positive. He does look lumbersome around the ball, has a weird kicking action and his disposal isn’t flash at this stage, but these things arent unusual or even too alarming for a 20 yr old ruck prospect, particularly one who only started playing football in his late teens. I wouldn’t say I’m “excited” about Spencer just yet, but I’m encouraged by what I’ve seen and would be shocked if he’s not around next year.

I get the feeling some people are more excited with Gawn and Fitzpatrick because 1) we havn’t seen them yet, which means we haven’t seen them do anything wrong, and 2) they are cited as having “freakish” traits (Fitzpatrick’s speed and Gawn’s height), while Spencer is a more traditional ruckman. It seems like you think these two are odds on to make it, but despite the raps on them, there is a reasonable chance they wont. Talls –particularly ruckmen- are hard to gauge when they’re of drafting age, which is why (apart from obvious guns like Kruezer) they go late in the draft. These two went quite late in a purportedly shallow draft; there must be at least a few question marks surrounding their game (and yes, I know Gawn was injured).

You said in the other post that Spencer would go at years end because we don’t need him with Gawn and Fitzpatrick. I would be keeping all three, and hoping like hell that at least one of them ends up being good.

That's a bit unfair. Certainly doesn't deserve to be called a "spud". The guy has been cruelled with injury. The couple of times he was able to get on the park last year, he really showed something. The Footy Dept also obviously see something in him.

Don't forget Danny Hughes has also laboured through many years of debilitating injury. Again, the Footy Dept stuck with him, and he finally got his chance last week.

I just think we should be a little more circumspect about the way we refer to the guys on our list. Really think they deserve a little more respect than they are sometimes shown. Surely, we can place our views on here without stooping to name calling.

Its and honest and realistic assessment of player who has underwhemed 2 clubs with lack of performance and fitness.

When he came to Melbourne from the Crows his performances at VFL level ranged from embarrassing to mediocre. The only positive is that when he was called upon to ruck when all other ruck options were injured he did not embarrass himself. He did not offer much either.

He has had six years in the AFL system and his perpetual and chronic state of injuries do not hide that for someone who was pick 8 in the 2004 draft, he has been ordinary. In recognition of his lack of output and the expectation of performance, the MFC footy department moved him with Newton to the rookie list. At time when MFC need good ruckmen its speaks heaps about Meesen. He will be gone at year end and I would not bother playing him above Gawn, Spencer and Fitzpatrick. If he is not in the caqtegory of a spud then I am not sure what is.

Everyone has Depth when their injury list is short.

"Depth" is often a false god of comfort to supporters that gives them a misguided warmth about the state of the team list.

The focus should always be on the development of your top six players to be the catalyst for better performance.

At the moment, MFC have a number of potential talent which has yet to emerge as quantifiable AFL standard footballers.

Regrdless of the outcome this year, there is a heap of game time that must be done for some of these players.

As for smugness on "depth", that usually lasts 1 to 2 losses when the perpetual gripes that we lack something/somebody come through.

"Depth" is often a false god of comfort to supporters that gives them a misguided warmth about the state of the team list.

The focus should always be on the development of your top six players to be the catalyst for better performance.

At the moment, MFC have a number of potential talent which has yet to emerge as quantifiable AFL standard footballers.

Regrdless of the outcome this year, there is a heap of game time that must be done for some of these players.

As for smugness on "depth", that usually lasts 1 to 2 losses when the perpetual gripes that we lack something/somebody come through.

Correct. See Australian cricket team over the past few years since the loss of some of our greatest ever stars.