Burgoyne meeting with Davey & Bails

Dee tention

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PORT Adelaide onballer Shaun Burgoyne will join Hawthorn next season as part of a four-club trade.

The deal also sees Hawk forward Mark Williams sign a three-year deal with Essendon, and Bomber Jay Nash move to Port Adelaide.

The Power also receive two first-round draft picks: No.9 (from Hawthorn) and 16 (from Essendon, on-traded by Hawthorn).

Geelong, the fourth club involved in the trade, has parted with draft pick 33 in exchange for three additional picks. The Cats took draft selections 40 and 56 from Port Adelaide, and 42 from Essendon.

In a further exchange of draft picks, Essendon receives No.24 (from Port Adelaide), and Geelong's 33.

Relations between the Power and Hawthorn appeared strained on Wednesday after Hawks president Jeff Kennett stymied a potential deal involving defender Campbell Brown.

But on Thursday night, Power football operations manager Peter Rohde confirmed an agreement had been reached.

The complicated arrangement leaves Port Adelaide with three picks in the first round of November’s NAB AFL Draft – No.8, 9 and 16 – which Rohde said was a "terrific position".

"We wish Shaun all the best at Hawthorn," he added.

"We are also delighted to have secured Jay Nash from Essendon.

"We have had our eye on Jay since he was drafted and really rate him as a half-back or onballer."

Hawthorn player and personnel manager Chris Pelchen said the Hawks were delighted to have wrapped up the Williams deal as part of the Burgoyne trade.

"Williams had a contract with Hawthorn for the 2010 season but received an offer for three years from Essendon and requested to be traded," Pelchen said in a statement.

He said Burgoyne was a quality player of outstanding character.

"He offers us another highly talented option in our midfield and we look forward to seeing him in the brown and gold next year."

WHAT THEY RECEIVED

Hawthorn

Shaun Burgyone (from Port)

Port Adelaide

Jay Nash (from Essendon), draft picks No.9 (from Haw), and 16 (from Ess)

Essendon

Mark Williams (from Haw), draft picks No.24 (from Port) and 33 (from Geel)

Geelong

Draft picks No.40, 56 (from Port) and 42 (from Ess)

Geelong have a secret south west stash no one knows about..

Yeah is that the stash where they scrutinise the Geelong Falcons back in May, then have them pull out of reg. games, to miss Vic Country selection....conspiracy ? :lol:

That the Cats traded one pick for 3 gives me hope that another club will go for our picks 34, 50 and 66.

The worst part about this news?

Now Port have three inside the top 16. We have four inside the top 18.

Trade Jamar for pick 16. :D

Now Port have three inside the top 16. We have four inside the top 18.

Trade Jamar for pick 16. :D

Geez. That would make it 1,2,11,16,18.... our numbers will be looking like GC's next year!

Bit far-fetched DD.

Speculate: -

pick 16 for Jamar & 34,51 ? Port do need a ruck. The 1 year contract to Jamar....

Edited by High Tower

Geez. That would make it 1,2,11,16,18.... our numbers will be looking like GC's next year!

Bit far-fetched DD.

pick 16 for Jamar & 34,51 ? Port do need a ruck. The 1 year contract to Jamar....

Is it just me, or do we have picks 34, 51 and 67 or 34, 50 and 66. I keep seeing different picks up on here and now i'm confused? Glade i don't run the FD.

Jamar + picks 34 and 51 for pick 16, i'd do this trade...

Edited by tatu

Geelong have a secret south west stash no one knows about..

Not so silly. I'm from the south west, went to school with Rooke back when he was Jarad and I'm pretty sure he was only drafted after his father sent in near endless tapes of him to Geelong. No one back home gets picked up for our local TAC team. Their aren't many Jarad Rookes but there are some handy players that know one seems to care about.

Bit far-fetched DD.

I forgot to press the sarcasm button...

OK then, tell me where they did badly, instead of cryptically saying nothing.

I think they're in the balance i dont they're big winner.

They lose a hot and cold gamebreaker and gain a player who is an unknown after his knee injury. And the spaces gained in the draft are nothing at that level in a shallow draft.

I still amazed that people are suggesting the draft will peter out so quickly. Thats crap. The compromise is that the bottom end 17 yo olds are not there.. Now how many of them normally are the cream of the crop and get taken before 50-60 ? very very few..

This draft like most is still good to 50..just depends as always on what you want..what you need and the level of homework your scouts and recruiters have done

I think they're in the balance i dont they're big winner.

They lose a hot and cold gamebreaker and gain a player who is an unknown after his knee injury. And the spaces gained in the draft are nothing at that level in a shallow draft.

There you go. It's amazing how much clearer one can be when one actually says something.

There is a doubt over Williams with his knee, but apparently he played at Box Hill towards the end of the season. And unlike others, I believe pick 24 has some value.

There you go. It's amazing how much clearer one can be when one actually says something.

There is a doubt over Williams with his knee, but apparently he played at Box Hill towards the end of the season. And unlike others, I believe pick 24 has some value.

I will be more literal next time.

I only stated the obvious.

I still amazed that people are suggesting the draft will peter out so quickly. Thats crap. The compromise is that the bottom end 17 yo olds are not there.. Now how many of them normally are the cream of the crop and get taken before 50-60 ? very very few..

This draft like most is still good to 50..just depends as always on what you want..what you need and the level of homework your scouts and recruiters have done

Who said that?

I think you are wrong. The talent pool has been reduced by 1/3.

And a number of the learned recruiter have already assessed that this years top 10 outside the top 3 are not as good as the previous year. The smaller pool means a reduction in talent. Its why there is such a rradiness to punt on ready to play NQR than to fossick through a thin pool of young players.

You, of all people?

Jeez...

A third of the kids normally eligible are not eligible.

That equals a thin draft.

RR has come aboard the train to reason, time for the rest of you to...

Read. My. Signature.