The Matthew Panos thread

Bates Mate

I couldn't find a thread on Panos seeing as so many posters think we should take him with pick 11 or 18 I thought I would start one.

Interesting that he was eligible last year but no one took him not even as a rookie. I know he had a pretty good championship but I think he was helped by having Trengove , Tapscott etc feeding him good quality ball. The same thing happened with WA's David Gourdis on 07 when he had Morton, Palmer and Masten feeding him. Gourdis was touted as a top 20 pick in a strong draft and ended up at Richmond on the rookie list and has since been dropped of their rookie list

What has Panos done since championship I can't find much info on him

I got the below from

http://www.contestedfooty.com/2009/08/matt...t-prospect.html

Position: Key Forward

Matthew Panos is a name that is starting to get mentioned as a first round draft chance (some even have him in the top ten!), largely due to his performance in the championships and his subsequent selection in the under 18 All Australian team. At 192 centimeters and 85 kilograms Panos is proving to be a damaging power forward with exceptionally strong hands and good finishing, Panos is a certainty to get drafted, despite being overlooked in last year’s draft.

Those with doubts about Panos point to him not being drafted last year and claim that he is a bit one dimensional. The first criticism is fair as no one knows exactly why he wasn’t drafted last year but the latter point is still unknown, he looks agile enough to adapt to other roles from what I have seen but he hasn’t proven himself outside of the power forward role.

For mine where Panos goes in the draft will depend on clubs needs but I’d slot him in around the late first round/early second round area of the draft.

Not worthy of pick 11 IMO.

very good hands and a long straight kick on him which makes him reliable. If he is around come pick 18 then we should have a think but I would prefer a Black.

we need another forward. good hands and straight kick would be the two qualities i would look for first in a key forward, we have a backline , mids from this year and last year. pick 11 must go on a forward. being AA doest gurantee he will be a star but if its true he can kick straight he is all ready ahead of some suppossed big name players in my book

we need another forward. good hands and straight kick would be the two qualities i would look for first in a key forward, we have a backline , mids from this year and last year. pick 11 must go on a forward. being AA doest gurantee he will be a star but if its true he can kick straight he is all ready ahead of some suppossed big name players in my book

Why must pick 11 go on a tall? If there is not a player worthy of it then it should not.

It's not like this is the last year in which we can get a tall.

Edited by Mr Morton

Why must pick 11 go on a tall? If there is not a player worthy of it then it should not.

It's not like this is the last year in which we can get a tall.

IMO i think a tall forward and two quality ruckmen are the last pieces of Baileys puzzle, if Darling , Panos , Butcher and Temel are all gone by all means grab a mid, But listening to Baileys press cons during the year he indicated we need another tall. ( Miller is not this player)

IMO i think a tall forward and two quality ruckmen are the last pieces of Baileys puzzle, if Darling , Panos , Butcher and Temel are all gone by all means grab a mid, But listening to Baileys press cons during the year he indicated we need another tall. ( Miller is not this player)

Panos & Temel will not be top 10 but thats only my opinion.

I 'was' with you several months ago about wanting a tall and if there was a good one at 11 we should pick him up. The fact is that no talls are standouts. I think someone like Temel or Black, even Panos could be around at 18 anyway. We can always trade for one another year, although this is a silly way to plan for a team. I think we will and should look at Jetta IMO. We will find out just how desperate MFC are for a big man come the draft.

Edited by Mr Morton

I 'was' with you several months ago about wanting a tall and if there was a good one at 11 we should pick him up. The fact is that no talls are standouts. I think someone like Temel or Black, even Panos could be around at 18 anyway. We can always trade for one another year, although this is a silly way to plan for a team. I think we will and should look at Jetta IMO. We will find out just how desperate MFC are for a big man come the draft.

doubt butcher will be there at 11 so

jetta at 11

black at 18

temel at 34

there ya go. that would be ideal

if we end up with another 3rd or 4th round pick then you can add dylan grimes to the list somewhere for a bit of raomantacism. not to mention that he can play also.

not sure of sandilands contract situation but maybe try and lure him in the preseason. if not him then another quality ruckman. then we really would start to have the makings of a very good list

Edited by hillie

doubt butcher will be there at 11 so

jetta at 11

black at 18

temel at 34

there ya go. that would be ideal

if we end up with another 3rd or 4th round pick then you can add dylan grimes to the list somewhere for a bit of raomantacism. not to mention that he can play also.

not sure of sandilands contract situation but maybe try and lure him in the preseason. if not him then another quality ruckman. then we really would start to have the makings of a very good list

That looks pretty good to me. We won't need to worry about talls when Newton fires up this year. Would love Sandilands but he wouldn't want to come to MFC and he could pretty much chose his club I would have thought.

Edited by Mr Morton

i at one stage was wanting a tall with pick two , but have since jumped ship to the Scully/ Trengrove camp. Fev went pick 68 years ago so there are no guartees but to steal a line ` its the vibe`

Anyone who compares Panos to Gourdis (or even Temel) obviously doesn't have a clue about the kid.

I agree he wont be Top #10 - but he's so far ahead of the other 2 that there really is no comparison.

Gourdis - Talented, moves well, but has personal issues that are holding him back and I'd be suprised if he isnt culled.

Temel - Different league to Panos: slower, runs on tracks, not as good a mark, not as agile.

Anyone who compares Panos to Gourdis (or even Temel) obviously doesn't have a clue about the kid.

I agree he wont be Top #10 - but he's so far ahead of the other 2 that there really is no comparison.

Gourdis - Talented, moves well, but has personal issues that are holding him back and I'd be suprised if he isnt culled.

Temel - Different league to Panos: slower, runs on tracks, not as good a mark, not as agile.

I was not aware of Gourdis personal issue , I was comparing them as they both had gun midfields in their u/18 championship year.

You may be able to shed some more light on Panos , have you seen him play?, what has he done since championship ?? Has he ben dominating at U/18 reserves level? I just want some more info on the kid as he is being talked up by many is it just because we need a tall forward or is it warranted??

Here's some footage of Panos -

-

He does seem to have good hands, seems to play in front and be willing to back into a pack. Don't think the footage really highlights his kicking skills but people do rate them highly. I also wouldn't say that the ball was being delivered on a platter. On the contrary, the clip shows a lot of pack marks and contested ball. The main reservation I have is that I didn't see enough of his work at ground level.

My personal opinion is that a forward needs to have good skills below their knees because, at AFL level, it isn't so easy to take a clean mark. At lower levels you pull in a lot of marks because you're either bigger than the opposition (typical of juniors) or a level above them in class and athleticism. When you get to the AFL the playing field levels out. So the marks you used to take quite easily are being spoiled by a backman who's equally athletic and just as big. That's where a player's recovery/second-efforts/ground game becomes of vital importance. If Panos has that, on top of good hands and an accurate boot then he could be worth a shot.

Emma Quale's article indicated some recruiter (s) thought Panos might fall > (greater) pick 20, your thoughts ?

Panos isn't athletically or physically the ideal one you'd want to go for. But to me he seems like the embodiment of the classic "footballer vs athlete" thing.

Valenti suffers at the hands of athletes. He's a footballer's footballer. I can scarcely think of a bigger presence in the middle of a VFL ground than him. Panos moves, kicks and thinks like a born footballer. He just lacks the size and athleticism of a Jack Watts.

I'd be pleased to get him, but there's no way he's going at 11. 18 is a fair chance though?

i at one stage was wanting a tall with pick two , but have since jumped ship to the Scully/ Trengrove camp. Fev went pick 68 years ago so there are no guartees but to steal a line ` its the vibe`

Fev went so late because of his poor character, even back then he was an ass.

Panos at pick 11 would probably the dream scenario for mine, with Trengove and Scully, 2 midfielders set to be among the elite in a few years time and Grimes waiting in the wings. Watts set to be an elite tall forward, Jurrah and Wonaeremirri providing that spark, it only makes sense to get another tall option to put in the spine with Watts - similar to the Riewoldt/Koschitzke combination at St Kilda. Panos I can see being that man. Then hopefully get a ruck prospect with pick 18 or 34.

I agree.

I think he'll slide a bit - but nothing drastic, he'll be picked up from #18 - #22.

Strong hands, beautiful kick, knows where to run but needs to work on his endurance.

Cheers. How's your phantom (Dr.J&MrH) draft going ? Putting the finishing touches to it yet ? ;)