Melbourne in a grand final

Demon Head

How dare he apologise? What a hypocrite! :lol:

An apology at the Hospital would have been appropriate.

Long never played against Melbourne again, & i know why.

Spoke to the Ox about it one night when he owned a bar up on Toorak Road.

Is it because he retired the next year?

Rubbish statement.

No it is not Rubbish Statement at all. 3-4 melbourne players had Long in their sites & he Knew it.

Back then you could still get away with a bit off serious biff.

Our 2 Matches against Essendon the Following year Long had the mysterious "hammy" injury.

No it is not Rubbish Statement at all. 3-4 melbourne players had Long in their sites & he Knew it.

Back then you could still get away with a bit off serious biff.

Our 2 Matches against Essendon the Following year Long had the mysterious "hammy" injury.

Nice re-writing of history.

We played them once, in round 8, he went out injured in round 5 and didn't come back until Round 22. Mysterious "hammy" my arse.

Further to this, how can you compare a moment of madness, with proudly proclaiming that 3-4 Melbourne players would maliciously "biff" him.

I sure hope you're not a Grinter fan.

An apology at the Hospital would have been appropriate.

Long never played against Melbourne again, & i know why.

Spoke to the Ox about it one night when he owned a bar up on Toorak Road.

He had the character to publicly apologize for an act he regrets. Hardly a pathetic creature.

I know why Long never played against MFC again.....hamstring injury....But dont let that wreck the fantasy that he was scared.

Did you work on the conspiracy theories with the Ox over a few bevvies??

Was going to bring up old Rod. Certainly was involved in a couple of 'dog acts' in his time. But was also one of the best exponents of the honest shirtfront. A genuine hardman of the game, but if we're going to call Long a dog for a poor incident, then we'd have to label Grinter the same.

Here's my own story of a rush of blood to the head and much regret. When I was 17 I played basketball at a reasonably high level. I played on a pretty good team. We had finished on top at the end of the home and away season, only having lost 1 game all season. We then proceeded to lose the 2nd Semi and found ourselves in the Prelim. About half way through the second half, we were geting beaten and the general feeling amongst the boys was that we were getting a raw deal from the refs. (Which we were!!). So after I was called for a dubious charge, which was total rubbish, on the following play, an opposition player drove to the basket, and I just flattened him. I had no intention otherwise. I turned to the ref ans said "That's a f-ing foul." I got ejected, which was fair enough. The guy I decked left the court with a wrist injury.

So we lost the game and the opposition proceeded to the Grand Final which they went on to win. Problem was, the guy I had flattened didn't play in the GF because of a fractured wrist he suffered upon hitting the court after I'd decked him. I felt like rubbish. What I did proved nothing and was a weak act. So I sent the guy a letter through his club apologsing. The only reply I got was the following season when we played them and while going for a rebound, one of his teammates gave me a bit of chin music with an elbow. Put a good rip in my bottom lip.

So it happens. I'd hate people to judge my character from an act like this. I'd be pretty sure Long would rather it never happened, and wouldn't be something he looks back on with any sort of pride.

Nice re-writing of history.

We played them once, in round 8, he went out injured in round 5 and didn't come back until Round 22. Mysterious "hammy" my arse.

Further to this, how can you compare a moment of madness, with proudly proclaiming that 3-4 Melbourne players would maliciously "biff" him.

He had the character to publicly apologize for an act he regrets. Hardly a pathetic creature.

I know why Long never played against MFC again.....hamstring injury....But dont let that wreck the fantasy that he was scared.

Did you work on the conspiracy theories with the Ox over a few bevvies??

The conversation with the ox was had, i am only telling you what was told to me.

What Happened to Troy left a very bad taste in quite a few Melbourne Players Minds & they were waiting for the Re match.

Whether you wish to believe that is up to you.

Not really my point.

Fine, but don't acuse me of re writing History because i don't do that.

Troy was only young back then & a lot of the team thought they had let him down that day.

That was the sentiment i got from the ox.

All i will say is that it was probably a good thing Long didn't take the field against us in 2001.

Not to mention the fact that you didn't respond to the hypocrisy involved in calling one player a "pathetic creature" for a moment of madness, but proudly stating that 3-4 Melbourne players would "biff" him. The Melbourne players wouldn't be "pathetic creatures" for hunting him down and attacking him would they?

"Our 2 Matches against Essendon the Following year Long had the mysterious "hammy" injury"

This contains both incorrect details and an incorrect insinuation.

That's your opinion 45 . I heard a different slant on events.

Not to mention the fact that you didn't respond to the hypocrisy involved in calling one player a "pathetic creature" for a moment of madness, but proudly stating that 3-4 Melbourne players would "biff" him. The Melbourne players wouldn't be "pathetic creatures" for hunting him down and attacking him would they?

Look as i said Longs actions could have killed simmonds. He was a Lucky Boy.

Whether it was right or wrong the players of the day wanted some retribution.

It was in the 3rd Q Essendon were Miles in front & Long knew Exactly what he was doing. I won't buy that "moment of Madness" Rubbish

It was a despicable act that had no bearing on the Result, Thus i have no Respect for Michael Long from that day forward, which is a shame as he could play.

Watch the incident in slo mo, you will understand what i mean.

3 weeks before with a "hammy" should have been enough time to recover...

You really need to check your facts, he didn't come back until round 22!!

That's some faking, he must've been quivvering in his boots.

You really need to check your facts, he didn't come back until round 22!!

That's some faking, he must've been quivvering in his boots.

Michael would have been quietly pleased he had that injury in Round 9. I am only passing on what the ox told me & he certainly wasn't joking 45. As i said Team mates thought they had let Troy Down & if Long had Played it would have got Ugly.

The Tribunal has evolved a lot in 10 years. Probably because of that incident.

I'm pretty sure it was in the first quarter WYL.

I remember it as the 3rd Q, as the shadows were getting long, But as i got to the ground at 1AM the previous night to get a seat in the Members

I may be wrong, but i was sure it was in the 2nd Half. That whole day was rather surreal!