Jack Watts - don't expect too much too soon

Yencks

I might be wrong (usually am) but from what I have seen of Jack Watts and the fact that he has all intentions to finish his schooling at BGS in the APS (and would be wanting to play schoolboy football) please don't expect anything special next year or even in the next two years.

I might be wrong but most people these days (with the influence of ur Kruezers, Gibbs, Murphys, Cooneys etc) expect fairly instant success and Jack Watts is a very long term project.

We will take jack watts with 1, and Daniel Rich will get 30+ possesion in one of his first 4 games in 09 and everyone will start to worry.

I am sure he will be great but just have a lot of patience because I can only realistically see him playing 3 or 4 games MAXIMUM nexy year.

Sorry to bore you, but dont get exited for instant success. He will not play round 1 so if I see one more person say that, I will start to worry.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I might be wrong (usually am) but from what I have seen of Jack Watts and the fact that he has all intentions to finish his schooling at BGS in the APS (and would be wanting to play schoolboy football) please don't expect anything special next year or even in the next two years.

I might be wrong but most people these days (with the influence of ur Kruezers, Gibbs, Murphys, Cooneys etc) expect fairly instant success and Jack Watts is a very long term project.

We will take jack watts with 1, and Daniel Rich will get 30+ possesion in one of his first 4 games in 09 and everyone will start to worry.

I am sure he will be great but just have a lot of patience because I can only realistically see him playing 3 or 4 games MAXIMUM nexy year.

Sorry to bore you, but dont get exited for instant success. He will not play round 1 so if I see one more person say that, I will start to worry.

I'm not so sure just yet, with our recruiters jetting off to WA.

Think about this, :- Watts doesnot nominate for this years draft,. We take Rich, then a tall at pick 17/19.

2009 draft, :- DEES picks 1 & 2, Watts nominates for draft, DEES take Watts & Butcher, picks 1 & 2.

We have 1/Rich, 2/ Shoenmakers, 3/ Scully. +++++ 4/ Watts, 5/ Butcher,++++++ then we'll have a good lst.

I'm not so sure just yet, with our recruiters jetting off to WA.

Think about this, :- Watts doesnot nominate for this years draft,. We take Rich, then a tall at pick 17/19.

2009 draft, :- DEES picks 1 & 2, Watts nominates for draft, DEES take Watts & Butcher, picks 1 & 2.

We have 1/Rich, 2/ Shoenmakers, 3/ Scully. +++++ 4/ Watts, 5/ Butcher,++++++ then we'll have a good lst.

west coast will most likely get priority picks too for next season so we wouldn't get picks 1 and 2

west coast will most likely get priority picks too for next season so we wouldn't get picks 1 and 2

So even if we got picks 2 & 4 there's Steven May, Butcher, Jack Fitzpatrick, Watts if he didn't nominate this year, no doubt many others as well as midfielders.

Guest Schtacker
Would love a watts/scully combo or a rich/butcher combo over the next two drafts

Yes and since we've gone the KPP this time, you would expect that Scully will be our man if we are holding that no.1 card again in a year. Course if we're really bad we'll get butcher also

:D

Saw the results of the APS sports in the Age today and I half expected to see J.Watts dominating the sprints and jumps but there was nothing there. Anyone know if he competed?

no he didnt compete, i saw him in the grandstand

aussie was also there in the granstand watching on with some mates,

he is a good kid...i hope he gets better and better in 09

Guest uncle joe

West coast will improve considerably next year . No priority picks for them .

The Dockers will probably have a priority pick though . They have lost a couple of top players and could even finish 16th . Yes even below us . They will be sh1te in 2009 .

Also we have to consider that GC start to get some draft concessions in 2009 draft , but I'm not sure how that is going to work .

yes im so confused about the concession...so basically they do get underages next year, they we could of got this year but the rule is changing (just happens to be at the same time) to make those kids ineligible

so therefore, the up and coming dream trio of luke mitchell, steven may and alex keith are all basically impossible to get

Guest Toot182

Hasn't Watts already nominated for the draft? I wouldn't have thought he would go to the camp and bother with all the stuffing around of clubs times, if he wasn't going to be available on draft day.

Guest Golgothan
yes im so confused about the concession...so basically they do get underages next year, they we could of got this year but the rule is changing (just happens to be at the same time) to make those kids ineligible

so therefore, the up and coming dream trio of luke mitchell, steven may and alex keith are all basically impossible to get

What about Swallow, Darling & Toy, i would currently rate those 3 the best 16 y.o. (2010 draftees) in the country. I won't get into a discussion about what kids are better, but it's likely that GC will trade as many as half their picks, so clubs willing to give up players are likely to get high drafts picks.

There's no coincidence that the concessions come in at the same time as the age changes, it's been done purposely to offer GC a pool of kids, but they still have to convince the kids to sign with them, they could refuse and just enter the draft like Beams this year

I saw a really good description of everything the GC get, first full one that i've seen. AS below

HE ENTRY Rules for GC17 into the AFL are as follows:

1. 2009 NAB AFL Draft:

GC17 to have the capacity to sign 12 x 17 year-olds born in the January – April window (Jan-April 1992).

2. 2010 NAB AFL Draft:

GC17 to have Pick One in Each Round.

GC 17 to have Picks 2, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, 13, 15 in Round One.

3. 2009 NAB Rookie Draft:

GC17 to have Selections 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5.

4. 2010 NAB Rookie Draft

GC17 to alternate Queensland priority selections with Brisbane Lions. GC17 to have first selection.

5. Zoned Access

GC17 to have zoned access to up to five Queensland players prior to each of 2010, 2011 and 2012 NAB AFL Drafts.

GC17 to have zoned access to up to three Northern Territory player prior to the 2010 NAB AFL Draft

6. 2010 Post Season, AFL Listed Played Access

GC17 to have capacity to pre-list 10 players who had previously nominated for the AFL Draft, or were previously listed with an AFL club.

GC17 to have capacity to sign up to 16 uncontracted players.

GC17 will so have an expanded list size and TPP (Total Player Payment) allowance in the club’s initial four years from 2011 to 2014, which would be as follows:

2011 – 48 senior list, nine rookies with $1m TPP extra allowance;

2012 – 46 senior list, nine rookies with $800k TPP extra allowance;

2013 – 42 senior list, nine rookies with $600k TPP extra allowance;

2014 – 40 senior list, nine rookies with $400k TPP extra allowance;

2015 – 38 senior list, nine rookies in line with other AFL clubs.

2010 NAB AFL Draft - First Round: (Example Draft Order before trading)

1 GC17

2 GC17

3 GC17

4 Club 16 on 2010 ladder

5 GC17

6 Club 15 on 2010 ladder

7 GC17

8 Club 14 on 2010 ladder

9 GC17

10 Club 13 on 2010 ladder

11 GC17

12 Club 12 on 2010 ladder

13 GC17

14 Club 11 on 2010 ladder

15 GC17

16 Club 10 on 2010 ladder

17 Club 9 on 2010 ladder

18 Club 8 on 2010 ladder

19 Club 7 on 2010 ladder

20 Club 6 on 2010 ladder

21 Club 5 on 2010 ladder

22 Club 4 on 2010 ladder

23 Club 3 on 2010 ladder

24 Club 2 on 2010 ladder

25 Club 1 on 2010 ladder

:mellow:

I was expecting more swear words.

Watts has been talked up so much but he hasn't even been drafted yet. What if Melbourne pick someone else? Is that player going to be instantly hated by the mob? For years we as a group have blown far too early, i hope this isn't another one of those situations.

Watts has been talked up so much but he hasn't even been drafted yet. What if Melbourne pick someone else? Is that player going to be instantly hated by the mob? For years we as a group have blown far too early, i hope this isn't another one of those situations.

yeah, i have this gnawing feeling in the pit of my stomach that we'll take Rich.

I think he'll be a super player and a well deserved number 1, but i'd still be disappointed.

God knows why, cos i've only seen both on youtube & my decision is based completely on hype...

:lol: I know. It was a more "no comment, it's not funny" response.

Seriously though, the MFC will leave no stone unturned. IMO he has Hird-esk like qualities. I just hope when the AFL announce, "Pick 1 - Melbourne...", the response is Watts' number.... . I think they will.

Guest grant
yeah, i have this gnawing feeling in the pit of my stomach that we'll take Rich.

That gnawing feeling is the prospect that we throw all our resources into this kid, and when he matures in 2 years or 5 years (like an Okeefe) decides to go back to Perth and play for WC who is a supporter,member and has attended ALL home WC games this year....

Yep, id say thats the feeling

I've heard Watts doesn't want to come to the Dees as he is a big Saints fan and is not impressed by Bailey.

Don't know how much of it is true but heard it from a friend of the family.

Change anyones opinion on drafting him?

Judd and Buddy supported the Dees before they were drafted.

So if he does follow the Saints it doesn't mean jack [censored], because he won't be playing for them.

How much could he have actually been exposed to Baily to not be impressed by him?

He said all the right things about Melbourne at the draft camp, and also in the Fox studios during the carnival he stated that he didn't fllow an AFL team, so i would put that rumour in to the trash file.