Anyone for cricket?

Whispering_Jack

This series just can't avoid controversy can it!?

Bad light stops play.

Australia 1st Innings 7/527dec

M. Clarke 187

S. Smith 89

G. Swann 5/159 (43)

S. Broad 1/108 (33)

England 1st Innings 368

K. Pietersen 113

A. Cook 62

P. Siddle 4/63 (29.3)

M. Starc 3/76 (27)

Australia 2nd Innings 7/172

D. Warner 41

M. Clarke 30*

T. Bresnan 2/25 (6)

J. Anderson 2/37 (8)

Well we're 331 ahead and I suspect that will be it for the rest of the day and Clarke will declare overnight setting England 332 for victory on the final day so it's game one! Reckon he would have loved 10-20 overs at them tonight though. Under the old rule we would have been able to keep batting if we wanted but not anymore!

Looking forward to an epic final day, although unfortunatly with only 1 day to bat I think England will play for the draw meaning our chances of victory are slim I must say.

Well they've already gone past my mark of a 310 run lead.

We may now get a declaration by default. Fairly close to my 330 pick but I won't claim it! ^_^

I reckon WJ was heading for the correct tip with 350.

With the overcast conditions will they get back on tonight?

warner opening , good innings to. watto put in his place
too bad were 2 down because winning the toss and batting first in the next test would be a test of fitness on their bowlers
is siddle our glue for the last 3 years

just realised harris maybe due for 4th test rest

Edited by jazza

The Aussies have bowled very well ... especially Harris. Siddle being held back again - reckon it's a clever ploy. 2 down but another 2 before lunch would be ideal.

The umpires gave England the option of bowling 2 spinners late yesterday when they went off for bad light so if they're consistent, we will have that option ourselves if the light fades.

The rain is holding off - the sun is out! Miraculous. Lyon getting a bit of turn. We're in with a chance.

Fantastic bowling from all of our bowlers. Clarke dropping Root may really come back to haunt us, but we're doing a great job so far.

It's going to be mightily frustrating for us if we get close (like, 7/8/9 wickets in) and it rains or the light is bad. So many overs lost to rain/light. And of course, in cricket's wonderful ye olde glory, we take a 40 minute break for lunch at the scheduled time despite losing about 40 overs since tea yesterday. Sometimes cricket baffles.

The Aussies have bowled very well ... especially Harris. Siddle being held back again - reckon it's a clever ploy. 2 down but another 2 before lunch would be ideal.

The umpires gave England the option of bowling 2 spinners late yesterday when they went off for bad light so if they're consistent, we will have that option ourselves if the light fades.

The rain is holding off - the sun is out! Miraculous. Lyon getting a bit of turn. We're in with a chance.

magnificently, harris & Siddle... I reckon Siddle is getting better, or is it the duke ball? those bowls angling across the batsmen & straightening were fantastic. & he's looking sharp.

Fantastic bowling from all of our bowlers. Clarke dropping Root may really come back to haunt us, but we're doing a great job so far.

It's going to be mightily frustrating for us if we get close (like, 7/8/9 wickets in) and it rains or the light is bad. So many overs lost to rain/light. And of course, in cricket's wonderful ye olde glory, we take a 40 minute break for lunch at the scheduled time despite losing about 40 overs since tea yesterday. Sometimes cricket baffles.

Great bowling by the quicks. Pity we didn't get Root. England have a bad mindset today. They were rattled. Cooks decision to challenge the LBW ranks with the worst judgement the Australian (Watson and Hughes have shown).

Pietersen got a tough one but under the rules of the DRS, the sound when the ball passed the bat prevented the 3rd umpire overturning the decision. Still does not explain Khawajas which clearly missed the bat.

Now for the weather today in Manchester.....pity we lost so many overs. England have a siege mentality.

we're winning this game no matter the outcome.

we've won back respect from ourselves firstly, & from the opposition, & spectators...

this is the pathway back for us... Boof is working miracles already. has the players looking more relaxed & happy. even Clark was laughing out there. & its showing in ther collective outputs... see Lyon looking like he has MOJO.

If we lose this test series today, I reckon with this team in the next test, we can push them, & if in that test there is another batsmen failure, then with this momentum, we could bring in a kid for the following test.

According to cricinfo there's still no sign of play resuming anytime soon, and there for it looks like any chance we had of keeping the Ashes alive have been washed away. Sad really.

At least they gave it a red hot shot and can play with a bit of a nothing to loose attitude over the last two tests.

If Lyon doesn't produce anything in the next test I'd love to see Fawad Ahmed drafted into the squad to play the last test at the always turning Oval ptch.

• Like 1

According to cricinfo there's still no sign of play resuming anytime soon, and there for it looks like any chance we had of keeping the Ashes alive have been washed away. Sad really.

At least they gave it a red hot shot and can play with a bit of a nothing to loose attitude over the last two tests.

If Lyon doesn't produce anything in the next test I'd love to see Fawad Ahmed drafted into the squad to play the last test at the always turning Oval ptch.

Yep, agree with what you've said there TD. Lyon deserves another Test and they might give Ahmed a go in the 5th Test. Think we might see a one new batsman for the Ist Test in Brisbane but for now, a few of our batsmen are playing for their future's.

They may keep the same 6 although the selectors might shuffle things around with the batting order (Warner to open?) Hughes might be given another chance or perhaps even Matty Wade. Like to see Bird and/or Faulkner given a go. We could rest Harris at least.

Even though the next 2 matches are dead rubbers, there's still a bit to play for and the Aussies will be desperate to win at least one of the 2 remaining Tests. Heard Cook say that they want to win the series so they won't be taking it easy. Graeme Onions is a possible replacement for Bresnan for the next match in Durham (although they may rest Anderson or Broad)

We played well in this Test but when we had to perform in the first 2 matches, we were found wanting. Still, there's a bit of hope there and we need at least 1 or 2 batsmen other than Clarke to post centuries in the last 2 Tests.

I can see the selectors experimenting a little bit in the next 2 matches.

we're winning this game no matter the outcome.

we've won back respect from ourselves firstly, & from the opposition, & spectators...

this is the pathway back for us... Boof is working miracles already. has the players looking more relaxed & happy. even Clark was laughing out there. & its showing in ther collective outputs... see Lyon looking like he has MOJO.

If we lose this test series today, I reckon with this team in the next test, we can push them, & if in that test there is another batsmen failure, then with this momentum, we could bring in a kid for the following test.

Allan Border, the man who led the country out of the doldrums in the 1980s, believes England are "vulnerable" and "worried" despite having retained the urn in the shortest possible time. Border said he had a "growing respect" for Michael Clarke's side after their bold performance at Old Trafford and believed the team had "drawn their own line in the sand" in much the same way as Australia had during the 1986-87 series. Border's Australians lost that series 2-1 but won the World Cup in 1987 before starting 16 years of Ashes domination in 1989.

"Broken the spell": Border believes Graeme Swann will not trouble Australia's batsmen to the same degree going forward. Border is adamant Australia would have won the third Test had rain not intervened with the hosts in peril at 3-27.

"What a difference two weeks can make. In the space of 14 days, my perception and gut-feel about this Australian side has changed," Border wrote in a column for subscribers to the Cricket Australia website.

"After copping a hammering at Lord's, the team grew a leg in this Test. "They showed real fight and England are worried. The Poms were playing catch-up cricket from day one, going slow with over rates and doing everything they could to negate our chances of winning. At the end of the day rain saved England – it's a simple as that.

"The way this side is going over the next few months, look out. Australia has the momentum."

Unless Lyon bowls really badly in the 4th Test or is injured for the 5th Test, I cant work out the selectors sense in even having him in the Ashes squad. They have thrown him around like a rag doll.

I am no Lyon fan but his omission for the 1st Test for an unknown 19yo (and the selectors did not know Agar would make 98 on debut) after taking 9 wickets on his last hit out was surprising. Then Agar was given short shift after Lords where he really was on a hiding after Australia's batting disaster.

We dont know where Lyon is after the washout. Unless he is OMG awful in the 4th Test, he should play in the 5th Test. The Oval wicket is a turner and we could play two spinners. The lack of logic so far would suggest that Agar is out of the running for a Test spot and they might just pick Krejza or Hauritz!!

• Like 1

Like to see Bird and/or Faulkner given a go. We could rest Harris at least.

Graeme Onions is a possible replacement for Bresnan for the next match in Durham (although they may rest Anderson or Broad)

Reckon there's a big chance Bird could come in for Harris as the last and only time Harris has played 3 tests in a row before he broke down, so they may decide to rest Harris given it's back ti back tests and then bring Rhino back for The Oval for whoever's the least impressive of Starc or Bird. Faulkner I'm not sure if he'll get a run in England, but if Watson keep failing to produce Faulkner could come in for Watson for our summer and bat in the middle order.

Think you're right about England resting a bowler Macca, and I wouldn't be suprised if it's Anderson. He looked really tired and not his usual self at Old Trafford and now they've retained the Ashes they may rest him. All of Onions, Tremlett & Panesar have been around the squad so they have options. Would love to see them bring Finn back, but doubt that will happen.

Unless Lyon bowls really badly in the 4th Test or is injured for the 5th Test, I cant work out the selectors sense in even having him in the Ashes squad. They have thrown him around like a rag doll.

I am no Lyon fan but his omission for the 1st Test for an unknown 19yo (and the selectors did not know Agar would make 98 on debut) after taking 9 wickets on his last hit out was surprising. Then Agar was given short shift after Lords where he really was on a hiding after Australia's batting disaster.

We dont know where Lyon is after the washout. Unless he is OMG awful in the 4th Test, he should play in the 5th Test. The Oval wicket is a turner and we could play two spinners. The lack of logic so far would suggest that Agar is out of the running for a Test spot and they might just pick Krejza or Hauritz!!

I agree Rhino that the selectors haven't been kind to Lyon with the way they keep chopping and changing him around the XI. How you can take 9 wickets one test and then be dropped for the next is a head scratcher, whether you were playing on a dust bowl in India or not. And then to drop Agar after his 2nd test when yes he had an ordinary game, but he bowled well and took 2 (should have been 3) wickets on debut at Trent Bridge is equally as odd.

The selectors need to decide what they want, a wicket taking spinner or a defensive spinner and stick to that, do they want someone who spins the ball into the right handers or away from them? Bottom line is, when our summer starts I just hope they pick a spinner and give them the 5 tests and then assess their performance from there.

yep harris due to rest aches pains you would imagine

spot on with the spinner call rr. the selectors have been inconsisitent with the issue for 5 years

can Clarke and smith warner keep taking it up to swanny.well we hope so before brizzy

there is a lot of finding out in the next 2 tests . so we start brizzy with a clear selection agenda

Edited by jazza

Reckon there's a big chance Bird could come in for Harris as the last and only time Harris has played 3 tests in a row before he broke down, so they may decide to rest Harris given it's back ti back tests and then bring Rhino back for The Oval for whoever's the least impressive of Starc or Bird. Faulkner I'm not sure if he'll get a run in England, but if Watson keep failing to produce Faulkner could come in for Watson for our summer and bat in the middle order.

Think you're right about England resting a bowler Macca, and I wouldn't be suprised if it's Anderson. He looked really tired and not his usual self at Old Trafford and now they've retained the Ashes they may rest him. All of Onions, Tremlett & Panesar have been around the squad so they have options. Would love to see them bring Finn back, but doubt that will happen.

I agree Rhino that the selectors haven't been kind to Lyon with the way they keep chopping and changing him around the XI. How you can take 9 wickets one test and then be dropped for the next is a head scratcher, whether you were playing on a dust bowl in India or not. And then to drop Agar after his 2nd test when yes he had an ordinary game, but he bowled well and took 2 (should have been 3) wickets on debut at Trent Bridge is equally as odd.

The selectors need to decide what they want, a wicket taking spinner or a defensive spinner and stick to that, do they want someone who spins the ball into the right handers or away from them? Bottom line is, when our summer starts I just hope they pick a spinner and give them the 5 tests and then assess their performance from there.

I don't have a problem changing a player if he's not producing or not great. Would have started with Lyon in England but not sure about giving him a whole series. 2 or 3 Tests and if he's bowling well you keep him in the side. Same goes for any non established player. I don't share the belief that a player needs security of selection to produce the goods at any given moment. The same argument surrounds Hughes and Khawaja. On the contrary, being on the edge can bring out the best in a player. Lyon, Khawaja and Hughes just aren't that good - (yet) Many were calling for Ahmed to start in this series and it was good to have a look at Agar (who has now had a taste of it and shows a bit of promise)

Not picking Lyon in the first 2 Tests would have made very little difference to the result but I still believe we should have started Nathan. We can't have it both ways ... i.e ... give a spinner a whole series and at the same time want to try someone else (Ahmed) I think the policy should be to give a new player or a non established player 2 or 3 Tests and if they show something, they stay. But they've got to show something otherwise you end up giving players too many Tests to prove themselves (and at the same time denying someone else an opportunity) Xavier or Bryce a whole series? I don't think so.

• Like 1

I don't think he needs to be given a whole series but.....

1. If he taken wickets in the last test and is fit then surely he would be picked.

2. And why would you pick a 19yo for the most important series without any decent experience or form then drop him 2 tests later after he was almost MOM in his first test and thrown to the wolves in his second where he was on a hiding to nothing. Agar is an exciting prospect but we are stuffing around with him early in the series.

3. If Lyons bowls well in the last two Tests and is fit then I can't see why he would not be selected for the Gabba Test. Then his performances are assessed on their merits like everyone else (should be)

While we have been erratic with spinner selection there really has been some ordinary options for selectors following the retirements of Warne and McGill.

There are a number of "spinners" that got a baggy green that were not up to standard but the empty ranks of talent got them selected. I am sure selectors grimaced with a couple of choices at times. I know I did.

they seem to have a LEFT ARM AROUND THE WICKET theory of picking spinners

the next 2 tests set us up for brizzy, so im very happy hilditch walking the dog on the beach is not involved,now comes the test of fitness for the pace bowlers

any good solid batting performance should strengthen the team from here on in

don't know if maddinson is the answer but I thought MC stated an interesting thing WATSON WILL BAT WHERE WE SE FIT IN THE ORDER . its the first time weve heard this type of comment re anybody

could shreks backing up of the captain have instilled reality to the line up?

don't know if maddinson is the answer but I thought MC stated an interesting thing WATSON WILL BAT WHERE WE SE FIT IN THE ORDER . its the first time weve heard this type of comment re anybody

It's been said before, and even about Watson.
  • Like 1

On Cricinfo there is a facility where you can break down the scoring shots of a batsman in any given match. Here is a breakdown of scoring shots in the just completed 3rd Test ... scoring shots graph (with this link you can click on different players who played in the 3rd Test)

After clicking on Michael Clarke to bring up his graph, it does highlight Clarke's ability to knock the ball into the gaps for a single and rotate the strike (or get off strike) It can be an underrated feature of a very good batsman and often the lesser batsman doesn't have the same skill. If we look at all our batsmen apart from Clarke, they are not known for their ability to take a single (although Steve Smith seems to be adding it to his game and Rogers is probably good at it)

In Clarke's score of 187 he had a total of 94 scoring shots of which 52 were singles. Smith's score included 50 scoring shots of which 31 were singles. In contrast Rogers score included 32 scoring shots with only 10 singles. Without checking the numbers it seems that Warner, Watson, Hughes and Khawaja don't seem to take enough singles. Cowan isn't too bad from memory and it's hard to judge Rogers as we haven't seen enough of his 1st class career. Chris does look like he'd be good at nudging the ball into the gaps.

Alistair Cook stands out as a batsman who knows how to take a single. Hashim Amla is another. In fact, all the best batsmen seem to have this skill and of those who fall short of very good or great, they often don't have the same capacity. Too busy looking for the 4 ball or the glory shot? :) ...

... ICC Player rankings - batting (Clarke is no.2 and our next best is Warner at no.38)

Interesting point. I seem to recall during our glory days that I heard commentators/players mentioning they aim for at least 25% of their total runs to be in singles.

It was an unfortunate end to a great Test Match. And as the locals warned us, "you're in Manchester, we get a lot of rain here"... even many staff and shop keepers went as far as apologising for the abysmal weather late day4/day5.

More depressing was the clearing of weather and sunshine from 5pm-8pm (8pm here is still very much light)

Five points I would like to make or emphasise my previous points before I embark on a trip to the land much well known to our late Jim Stynes:-

* Michael Clarke is a must watch. Sensational batsman and tactically a great captain.

* Peter Siddle and Ryan Harris are work horses with the ball in hand. Consistent, reliable, bowlers who get the job done (when fit).

* Steve Smith is a good player of spin and an improving middle order batsman for Australia.

* Chris Rogers impressed. Has a mountain of runs behind him and bristled with experience at the crease when needed. (84 first dig) which helped take advantage of winning the toss.

* There was ever only one Shane Warne. (It's a pretty simple message but I've made it here before many a time). We were very fortunate to have him playing for Australia; near impossible to replace.

• Like 2

Maxwell was 23 off 32 at one stage.

He ended 145* from 79.

122 from his last 47.

Not bad!

Not wrong there 45. Here's the match report.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/southafrica/content/current/story/660507.html

Went from 8/152 to 8/298 and then a double wicket maiden from Coulter-Nile in the 2nd last over got Australia A over the line against India A who were playing some good players in Rohit Sharma, Raina and Pujara.

Maxwell also took a wicket to go with his century. I tell you what, if he can do what David Warner's done (to an extent he has anyway) and learn to adjust his aggresive batting into test form. He could become our genuine spinning all rounder allowing us to play 4 quicks if we wanted?

He's a serious talent Maxwell. Fingers crossed he can become our next Doug Walters...

• Like 1