And that's stumps on Day 1!

http://www.espncricinfo.com/the-ashes-2013/engine/match/566929.html

Watson 109

Rogers 75

Clarke 62

Cowan 58

Smith 21*

Hughes 10*

Good to see us hitting some form leading into the Ashes, all be it again weak opposition.

The big thing to look forward to on Day 2 is the battle of Bird & Harris with the ball to see if either of them can put pressure on Siddle for the 3rd bowlers spot?

Apparently Cowan struggled (his strike rate indicates that's right) before running Clarke and himself out, while Smith batted well. Pretty interesting to see who will play in the first Test.

Apparently Cowan struggled (his strike rate indicates that's right) before running Clarke and himself out, while Smith batted well. Pretty interesting to see who will play in the first Test.

Very true. Australia ended up making 4/396dec

Watson 109

Rogers 75

Smith 68*

Clarke 62

Cowan 58

Hughes 19*

Worcestershire currently 7/246

Bird 4/38 from 20 overs!

Agar 2/79

Faulkner 1/55

Both Smith & Bird putting their hands up for a birth in the 1st test! Smith to bat at 6 with one of Cowan or Khawaja to bat at 3 and Bird as the 3rd quick after Pattinson & Starc to bowl into the breeze???

well time in the middle is done

plenty of overs have been available

some players have been there long enough

no excuses first test

btw if they take an average no6 who can bowl ,then they have to take 4 quicks

Edited by jazza

Stumps Day 3

Australia 4/396dec

Watson 109

Rogers 75

Smith 68*

Clarke 62

Cowan 58

Hughes 19*

Worcestershire 284

Bird 4/48 (25 overs)

Faulkner 2/57 (14.1)

Harris 2/65 (21)

Agar 2/79 (23)

Australia 5/344dec

Clarke 124

Hughes 86

Smith 43

Cowan 34

Rogers 26

Agar 10*

Faulkner 7*

Watson DNB

Worcestershire 1/64

Agar 1/16 (7)

If it wasn't certain before then it certainly is now that Hughes is a lock to play the first test. Harris getting a couple of wickets to wrap the innings up also keep him in contention for the final qucik bowling spot with Bird & Siddle. Then there's the big question of who will bat at first drop and at 6 out of Cowan, Smith, Khawaja, Faulkner (allrounder) and of course Warner? Anyone elses guess is as good as mine!

Stumps Day 3

Australia 4/396dec

Watson 109

Rogers 75

Smith 68*

Clarke 62

Cowan 58

Hughes 19*

Worcestershire 284

Bird 4/48 (25 overs)

Faulkner 2/57 (14.1)

Harris 2/65 (21)

Agar 2/79 (23)

Australia 5/344dec

Clarke 124

Hughes 86

Smith 43

Cowan 34

Rogers 26

Agar 10*

Faulkner 7*

Watson DNB

Worcestershire 1/64

Agar 1/16 (7)

If it wasn't certain before then it certainly is now that Hughes is a lock to play the first test. Harris getting a couple of wickets to wrap the innings up also keep him in contention for the final qucik bowling spot with Bird & Siddle. Then there's the big question of who will bat at first drop and at 6 out of Cowan, Smith, Khawaja, Faulkner (allrounder) and of course Warner? Anyone elses guess is as good as mine!

Yep, there's 2 spots in the top 6 up for grabs. Clarke, Hughes, Watson and Rogers are in you'd reckon. If I was to hazard a guess, I think Khawaja will bat at 3 and Smith at 6. But who knows? Swann picked up another 5 wicket haul in England's warm up game so the selectors might go more right handers in the line-up. That strengthens Smith's cause.

If Bird gets wickets again tonight he might be in. However, it would be a brave move to not pick Siddle. A fresh Siddle to come in for the 2nd or 3rd Test may not be such a bad idea though.

The warm up games have been beneficial on an overall basis. Clarke rapid fire ton last night is terrific news as well.

Wish someone could rread the minds of the selectors Macca, would be amazing to see how they justify some of their decisions.

I agree re: Warner, will be very tough to justify his selection.

My gut for the first test XI is telling me it might be along the lines of:

Rogers

Watson

Cowan

Clarke*

Hughes

Khawaja

+Haddin

Siddle

Starc

Pattinson

Lyon

With both Harris & Bird stiff to miss out. I know Jazza you're keen for a 4 pronged pace attack, but I doubt the selectors will go that way, but who on earth knows???

yep, about the same, only diff is I don't want a spinner that cant spin

don't want 4 quicks , but think its a must

Edited by jazza

Final days play effected by rain.

Worcestershire 2nd Innings 5/274

Faulkner 2/21 (17 overs)

Harris 2/60 (19)

Agar 1/86 (27)

Didn't get the result which is disapointing but a good hit out all the same. Harris, Bird & Faulkner all took 4 wickets for the match each and Agar 3 so we're probably no closer to seeing who gets the final bowlers spot. Rock, paper, scissors championship between Harris, Bird, Siddle & Faulkner maybe to determine?

Final days play effected by rain.

Worcestershire 2nd Innings 5/274

Faulkner 2/21 (17 overs)

Harris 2/60 (19)

Agar 1/86 (27)

Didn't get the result which is disapointing but a good hit out all the same. Harris, Bird & Faulkner all took 4 wickets for the match each and Agar 3 so we're probably no closer to seeing who gets the final bowlers spot. Rock, paper, scissors championship between Harris, Bird, Siddle & Faulkner maybe to determine?

Can't see Faulkner making it. Siddle will probably get the nod because of his work horse capacity but does he move the ball enough on English pitches?

The noise is also that Nathan Lyon gets a nod.

The only other omission I'd like to see is Inverarity.

Wonder how Smith, Khawaja and Faulkner feel if he does play as they're the three that will likely miss out if Warner gets the no 6 spot. I reckon Cowan will get first crack at 3.

Wonder how Smith, Khawaja and Faulkner feel if he does play as they're the three that will likely miss out if Warner gets the no 6 spot. I reckon Cowan will get first crack at 3.

Interesting article about Lehmann keeping England in the dark re our selected side ...

... Australia coach Darren Lehmann keeps England guessing over likely batting order for first Ashes Test

The only guide has been Lehmann claiming that Shane Watson and Chris Rogers would open the batting but captain Michael Clarke even refused to confirm that.

"I don't think I've ever said I'd prefer to be at five," said Clarke. "I've batted four my whole career in first-class cricket, batted five for Australia the past couple of years and had a bit of success there, but I've said for a long time I'll bat wherever suits the team, and this series will be no different."

This was the 'likely' team listed ... it does back up your team somewhat (with Cowan at no.3) I tend to agree with you now re Cowan. We need stability at the top of the order and if Clarke does bat at no.4, we don't want him exposed too early.

Shane Watson

Chris Rogers

Ed Cowan

Michael Clarke ©

Phil Hughes

Dave Warner

Brad Haddin

James Pattinson

Peter Siddle

Mitchell Starc

Nathan Lyon.

getting excited?

been saving up brownie points for this, hope its worth it

The news continues to indicate that Warner's going to play the first Test - e.g. http://www.espncricinfo.com/the-ashes-2013/content/story/648105.html

Disgraceful, if true.

Interesting. I see Whateley says he should come in too if we're going to win the Ashes.

Does this mean the penalty is higher if you don't hand in an essay, rather than punch someone in the face?

PS. Understand the different coach perspective (rules)..

Anyway, it will be interesting to see if he is selected for the first test.

Interesting article about Lehmann keeping England in the dark re our selected side ...

... Australia coach Darren Lehmann keeps England guessing over likely batting order for first Ashes Test

This was the 'likely' team listed ... it does back up your team somewhat (with Cowan at no.3) I tend to agree with you now re Cowan. We need stability at the top of the order and if Clarke does bat at no.4, we don't want him exposed too early.

Shane Watson

Chris Rogers

Ed Cowan

Michael Clarke ©

Phil Hughes

Dave Warner

Brad Haddin

James Pattinson

Peter Siddle

Mitchell Starc

Nathan Lyon.

Looks about right Macca. Although I feel Bird would suit the conditions down to a tee, fact of the matter is, Siddle has the runs on the board, Starc should play given Cook (our biggest target) looks to have a bit of a weakness against the left handers and Pattnson's our most dangerous bowler.

As for Warner he clearly is in our best team and the no 6 position should suit him I reckon.

getting excited?

been saving up brownie points for this, hope its worth it

Me to Jazza, just one more night to go!

I've stocked up on the ice coffee's and coke zeros to get me through the 5 nights. No coffee due to the the noise the boiling kettle will make and my sleeping 10 month old in the other room.

I've also worded my work colleagues up that I'll be not much use Thursday & Friday and next Monday due to the cricket so I'm set to go!

Interesting. I see Whateley says he should come in too if we're going to win the Ashes.

Does this mean the penalty is higher if you don't hand in an essay, rather than punch someone in the face?

PS. Understand the different coach perspective (rules)..

Anyway, it will be interesting to see if he is selected for the first test.

It does make you wonder, despite the change in coaches, how the likes of Watson, Pattinson & Khawaja (especially Khawaja as he'll miss out for Warner) will feel if Warner's allowed to play when they missed a test for much less.

Fingers crossed the noises about the team being much closer now are true and we can move forward!

On another note though what are people hoping to see on Day 1?

We bat first and bat out the day making 300 odd with the loss of no more then 5 wickets?

Or we bowl first and knock them over for less then 200 and get to stumps 1 or 0 down for somewhere between 50-100?

Both would be ideal starts to the series.

try doing simple exercises on the floor while watching

it helps you stay awake , and is good for you

• Like 2

On another note though what are people hoping to see on Day 1?

We bat first and bat out the day making 300 odd with the loss of no more then 5 wickets?

Or we bowl first and knock them over for less then 200 and get to stumps 1 or 0 down for somewhere between 50-100?

Both would be ideal starts to the series.

Hoping to see us bat first and continue batting until at least lunch time on the 2nd day! :rolleyes:

Further news ... Smith set to play in first Test

Smith, who played the final two matches of Australia's tour of India in March, was a late inclusion to the Ashes squad but has impressed tour selectors Darren Lehmann and Rod Marsh after also batting well on the Australia A tour of England, Ireland and Scotland that preceded the Ashes series.

Edit: Looks like Ashton Agar will debut as well ... live scorecard and commentary

Lunch Day 1

England 2/98

J. Trott 37*

J. Root 30

A. Cook 13

P. Siddle 1/28 (5 overs)

J. Pattinson 1/31 (9)

Evenly balanced at lunch. Trott's looking good and Pattinson and Starc have both bowled well. Glad Siddle got the wicket of Root as his first 4 overs were very ordinary and I was thinking I wish Bird was playing. Agar looks a likely type, tall left arm spiner with a bit of bounce and grip. 0/8 off 3 overs and as another poster mentioned, seemed to worry Trott more then any of our seamers. First ball in test cricket was a full toss that went for 4 but steadied after that.

Here's hoping for at least 3 wickets in the next session!

Also thought I'd mention that I feel for Nathan Lyon. His form in the warm ups was solid and he did reasonably well over in India. Could still possibly play a role this series if Agar struggles or as a 2nd spinner at The Oval which does spin a bit.

Siddle again! Gets Bell and that's 4 of our 5 wickets. To think this guy nearly didn't play in this test...

Edit: Make that 5 of our 6 and that's Prior gone!

England 6 down for less then 200 before tea, lets roll them for under 250 Aussies. Siddle for 8!

Edited by Tall Defence