Anyone for cricket?

Whispering_Jack

You were saying?

On those totals, we could've enforced the follow on and won by an innings. I picked it, dammit, but Clarke blew it for me :P

Only asking?

I reckon India must know how 186 feels now.

Of course, I'm watching a delightful performance from Zimbabwe v NZ. After scoring 51 in their first dig and following on they're currently 5/12 in the second inninings and making the Indian batsmen look Bradmanesque.

Zimbabwe sent the Kiwis into bat on the first day too!

Mick Clarke has had quite a handy start to his Captaincy career . 7 wins , 3 losses , 2 draws . ( That includes the loss in the 5th Test vs England ) . With 3 Tests to come in the West Indies , that record is set to improve you'd reckon . We've then got South Africa at home for 3 Tests ( Nov /Dec ) and Sri Lanka are here for 3 Tests next Xmas .

Michael's captaincy has been excellent . Rotates his bowlers well . Uses Lyon at the right time and his field placings have been very good . And his own batting is top notch .Wonderful start by "Pup" .

In the space of 12 months we've gone from having a struggling attack to an embarrassment of riches . I like Nathan Lyon but if we can unearth another good leggie to put some pressure on , it would be ideal .

Our batting isn't quite settled yet . Ponting and to a lesser extent Hussey have turned the tables and well done to both of them . But they can't go on forever . England looms .

Warner and Cowan have been terrific and are getting themselves established and of course Watto will come into the side eventually . Marsh and Khawaja both have work to do but they're both young enough to get better and Dan Christian is another option . Haddin will probably stay for the time being .

Who the selectors pick in the touring party for the West Indies will be interesting . Which fast bowler or bowlers do they leave out ? And will there be a surprise selection in the batting ? . They'll possibly pick 15 players . Closer to the release date we could all have a go at picking the squad .

Cheers

Edited by Macca

In the space of 12 months we've gone from having a struggling attack to an embarrassment of riches . I like Nathan Lyon but if we can unearth another good leggie to put some pressure on , it would be ideal .

It might not sound like much, but I reckon that's asking a lot Macca. There weren't very many top class leggies around in the world pre-Warne and not much since (the fact that we managed to produce Stuey Macgill at the same time was rotten luck timing wise). I don't reckon we'd be counting on one turning up any time soon.

It might not sound like much, but I reckon that's asking a lot Macca. There weren't very many top class leggies around in the world pre-Warne and not much since (the fact that we managed to produce Stuey Macgill at the same time was rotten luck timing wise). I don't reckon we'd be counting on one turning up any time soon.

You make a good point Nasher but Cameron Boyce from Queensland is on the horizon . And a few Test nations don't play leg spin very well . England are susceptible at times . Boyce might be a dark horse for the West Indies if we pick 2 spinners in the squad . We were blessed with Warne and MacGill but I was thinking more along the lines of Hohns , Higgs and Holland . Handy and sometimes good but not great . Anyone above that level is an absolute bonus .

Here's Cameron's profile on cricinfo . Not ground breaking stats to be fair but Ashley Mallett gave him a good rap a few years ago (story at the bottom of his profile) .

http://www.espncrici...yer/326625.html

And here's the Itinerary for the West Indies .

http://www.espncrici...mplate=fixtures

Edited by Macca

You make a good point Nasher but Cameron Boyce from Queensland is on the horizon . And a few Test nations don't play leg spin very well . England are susceptible at times . Boyce might be a dark horse for the West Indies if we pick 2 spinners in the squad . We were blessed with Warne and MacGill but I was thinking more along the lines of Hohns , Higgs and Holland . Handy and sometimes good but not great . Anyone above that level is an absolute bonus .

Here's Cameron's profile on cricinfo . Not ground breaking stats to be fair but Ashley Mallett gave him a good rap a few years ago (story at the bottom of his profile) .

http://www.espncrici...yer/326625.html

And here's the Itinerary for the West Indies .

http://www.espncrici...mplate=fixtures

Thanks for providing Cameron's stats. If he came from NSW he would be learning the words to some calypso songs in preparation for his forthcoming tour.

I think it's an indictment that although we're in the middle of the cricket season his last first class game of Shield cricket was almost two months ago. In these circumstances, it makes it harder than ever to break into the test side.

Absolutely. The glittering reign of the Warne has distorted people's expectations of a spinner. You could count yourself lucky, very lucky to unearth and McGill and we did that too. Albeit when Warne was around.

We have only got 3 Tests against the Windies rather than the traditional 5 tests we used to have. I cant see us taking 2 spinners (let alone a player that has has little claim at this point to go). I note Byce in his last Shield game took 1-175 off 29 overs. Hardly baggy green stuff at this point. Certainly one to watch. I would always be keen to give a leggie a chance to come through but only when he shows he is ready for the call. He is still young at 22 yo. Hell one of the issues with Warne was that he shattered the myth that leggies dont mature until their 30. But then again Warne was a freak.

Thanks for providing Cameron's stats. If he came from NSW he would be learning the words to some calypso songs in preparation for his forthcoming tour.

I think it's an indictment that although we're in the middle of the cricket season his last first class game of Shield cricket was almost two months ago. In these circumstances, it makes it harder than ever to break into the test side.

Yep , but on the flip side he'll get to play a few Shield games before the selectors pick the Test squad for the West Indies . I must say it is a bit of speculation on my part because I haven't seen a lot of him . I have heard that he's got a fairly big turning leg break .

I'm just a bit mindful that there is often a surprise selection in a touring squad . Btw cricket.com have some live streaming of shield games (periodically) so we might get to have a bit more of a look at him .

And Rhino , you are correct about Cameron's last match figures but prior to that game he had match figures of 5/57 against NSW and 6/135 against Victoria . And we did take 2 spinners to Sri Lanka and South Africa ( Lyon and Beer ) In all honesty I don't think he will get in the squad but the selectors might choose to take him for the experience if they think Beer won't get a game anyway .

Edited by Macca

I cant believe the Australia wont take beer with them on a tour of WI!!!

Hasnt Beer disappeared from the scene. I think Lyon has left him in his wake. We didnt take two spinner to SA but it is unlikely he will tour the WI. But certainly one to watch.

On a different note Zimbabwe lost 20 wickets in a day in Test against NZ. I have said for years that Zim and Bdesh should never have been given Test status. Once the Flowers left Zim, the country should have been expelled from the ICC

http://www.espncricinfo.com/new-zealand-v-zimbabwe-2012/engine/current/match/520591.html

Beer and Lyon went to South Africa ( see link below ) The tracks in the West Indies are often grassless and tend to keep low and often take spin . Ajmal took 17 wickets for Pakistan in 2 tests there last year whilst Harby took 11 wickets in 3 tests for India in 2011 as well . And the West Indies "Leggie" Devendro Bishoo took 21 wickets in 5 tests against India and Pakistan last year .

And yes Rhino , there will be a "beer" of some description taken on the tour of the West Indies ! Speaking of which .......................

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/cummins-caps-rapid-rise-with-test-call-up-20111017-1lsp5.html

On a different note Zimbabwe lost 20 wickets in a day in Test against NZ. I have said for years that Zim and Bdesh should never have been given Test status. Once the Flowers left Zim, the country should have been expelled from the ICC

http://www.espncrici...tch/520591.html

Yep , Zimbabwe have very few Ist class cricketers and Bangladesh have a terrible infrastructure . I might keep Bangladesh but as ya said Zimbabwe should never have got Test status . It ends up making a mockery of averages , aggregates , Test rankings etc etc . They should just play in the South African SuperSport Series ( used to be known as the Currie Cup ) .

That result in New Zealand does absolutely nothing for Test cricket . I've noticed that Australia have avoided playing these 2 nations for a while now . In fact , Ricky Ponting has only played 7 Tests against these 2 Nations

Sachin Tendulker vs Zimbabwe and Bangladesh 1718 runs @ 94.88 ( 16 matches )

Jacques Kallis vs Zimbabwe and Bangladesh 996 runs @ 124.50 ( 12 matches )

Ricky Ponting vs Zimbabwe and Bangladesh 550 runs @ 78.57 ( 7 matches )

From CricketArchive.com

I'll get a 2nd source later to verify these figures but they tell a bit of a story

Edited by Macca

Hasnt Beer disappeared from the scene. I think Lyon has left him in his wake.
Beer has disappeared from the scene, but that's hardly surprising. He was always a left field selection and had barely played any first class cricket when he got the callup, and I think he was just as surprised as anyone. Just another selection out of desperation rather than merit, but then again, the same could probably be said of Lyon.

There is a young Victoria leggie I saw playing a game of two for Adelaide in the T20 who looked very promising - Muirhead. Only a baby at the moment, though.

Also, have India been sending the Iraqi information minister to do their press conferences? It is hilariously ridiculous.

There is a young Victoria leggie I saw playing a game of two for Adelaide in the T20 who looked very promising - Muirhead. Only a baby at the moment, though.

I think he's the 18 year old that SA tried to poach for their Shield team at the start of the season along with a batsman named Handscomb who is very promising with some tipping him as a future test batsman.

Also, have India been sending the Iraqi information minister to do their press conferences? It is hilariously ridiculous.

Yeah, I loved the bit where the Indian apparatchik (didn't catch his name but he must surely be a distant relative of Baghdad Bob) said there would be no further comments on the matter of impending player retirements and Sehwag followed that up by adding a comment. It demonstrated how that the spin doctoring among the Indian team was about as well organised as many of its field placements.

Exactly. I just loved Sehwag justifying being pounded by Australia (could have been 3 innings defeats) by saying that India beat Australia 2-0 in India 18 months ago. Wow. Two tight tests (India won by 1 wicket after a huge 9th wicket partnership, and needed to chase over 200 in the other Test) that they won at home 18 months ago, versus 4-0 with three absolute drubbings.

"We are driving back the infidels!!"

• Like 1

Exactly. I just loved Sehwag justifying being pounded by Australia (could have been 3 innings defeats) by saying that India beat Australia 2-0 in India 18 months ago. Wow. Two tight tests (India won by 1 wicket after a huge 9th wicket partnership, and needed to chase over 200 in the other Test) that they won at home 18 months ago, versus 4-0 with three absolute drubbings.

"We are driving back the infidels!!"

Quite, but I doubt whether Virender's people are into the driving back infidels thing. :lol:

I think there ridiculous press conferences only back that lack of grit and fire in the belly. The senior Indian players have. I cant believe that when India on the Adelaide pitch had to try and bat 5 sessions that Sehwag launched a high risk 20/20 strategy. His flashy low regard for the situation millionaire innings was exactly what India did not need....;particularly from the Captain.

At least with Australia, there would be soul searching, review and accountability. In India I doubt there will be much done about this. Aside from Yadav and Kohli who showed some spine particularly as the Tests got tougher the rest were a shambles. There 4 most experienced batsman collapsed into farce.

Indian's should be ashamed. But won't be. This arogance will be a cancer on the team for 20 years before someone in their inner sanctum realises they've gone and wounded their cricket culture with sugar-cricket. Going to take a long time to fix it, and in that time, other test naions will reap the benefits...

Couldn't happen to a more smug bunch of knowitalls. Doni, Sehwag and even Tendulkar at times... individual cricketers beaten regularly by good teams. They held the #1 rankings for 3 months in total in this "golden era" for them. I smile to think of Ganguly watching this.

What a laugh. Bring on the British, the Ashes, and real cricket.

Edited by Dappa Dan