Anyone for cricket?

Whispering_Jack

How about Evan Gulbis for Tassie? 229 runs in the first (and only) innings and 4/7 bowling in the second innings. This guy has had the weirdest career - started out playing for Victoria as a batsman who could bowl a bit (batting at #3), came to Tassie as a bowler who can bat a bit (batting at #8), has done virtually nothing at Shield level with either the bat or the ball, then produces *that*. Amazing stuff.

Apparently his score is the second highest ever first class score from a #2 after Wasim Akram scored 257 against Zimbabwe in 1996.

I've never even heard of this guy! What a truly astounding match he played.

I've never even heard of this guy! What a truly astounding match he played.

He coached me for a bit a few years ago when he was playing for Carlton. Good bloke! Except for when he was giving you throw downs in the nets...

Couple of items of interest ...

Clarke played Test with fractured shoulder

... from Michael Vaughan

Stop the adulation of him. Clarke is the soft wimpish type.

Seriously, his backs stuffed, copped one in the head and kept going and it's now revealed that he played with a fractured shoulder.

Lead the side to an heroic Test series win.

I can't believe how many have so misjudged him.

As for Trott I am glad he has not disappeared from the Test scene but he is going to cop it when Australia goes to England.

Couple of items of interest ...

Clarke played Test with fractured shoulder

Absolute hero.

Any who deny his toughness, both physically and mentally, should be judged as the fools they are. Michael Clarke is a magnificent batsman and an outstanding captain both tactically and leading by example.

This may be the only time I ever say this, but I can't wait to see what deeluded says now.

Stop the adulation of him. Clarke is the soft wimpish type.

Seriously, his backs stuffed, copped one in the head and kept going and it's now revealed that he played with a fractured shoulder.

Lead the side to an heroic Test series win.

I can't believe how many have so misjudged him.

As for Trott I am glad he has not disappeared from the Test scene but he is going to cop it when Australia goes to England.

I was genuinely surprised with the Trott stuff (if true) Not sure what to make of it to be perfectly honest. There may be more to come out for all we know.

With Clarke, no surprises there. The value he puts on his wicket once he's set, is Steve Waugh/Allan Border like. Opposition teams know they have to get him early. Just hope his back can hold up.

Absolute hero.

Any who deny his toughness, both physically and mentally, should be judged as the fools they are. Michael Clarke is a magnificent batsman and an outstanding captain both tactically and leading by example.

Yep, spot on.

All the players seem to know their roles and they just get on with the business. Most people that I speak to comment that Clarke often seems to be ahead of the game. Bowling changes and field placements are done with a minimum of fuss and the opposition batsmen seem to be constantly faced with a fresh challenge.

Lehmann needs to take a fair bit of credit of course and I reckon he and Clarke compliment each other very well. They are different characters but that might be a good thing. Where they come together is their knowledge of the game.

Edited by Macca

The Trott stuff is interesting.

I thought that Vaughan was being harsh .... until I saw the interview.

I saw some of the stuff he said and thought "isn't that just being out of form?" Stuff like not seeing the ball. Like all cricketers, I've gone through periods of feast and famine. When you are in form you see the ball early and are confident in your ability to play it. When you are out of form sometimes you barely pick up the ball at all and suddenly every ball is a hand grenade.

But he spoke about everything as a focus on numbers. He tried to fob off questions about being afraid of Johnson, which he clearly was, and instead talked about his average in an ODI series several years ago. It was the talk of someone trying to maintain the illusion in his head that he is the best .... rather than accept that he had been worked out. He was always a very proud cricketer - some would argue too proud - and now his crafted internal world was falling down as he tried not to accept his fate. Like a dictator claiming he is in power after being ousted in a coup, Trott exiled himself to live another day.

He said he's not depressed, he's burnt out. It's going to take a lot to convince the public now that he needed to leave.

It was a strange interview.

I saw some of the stuff he said and thought "isn't that just being out of form?" Stuff like not seeing the ball.

I just read the article and watched the interview excerpts at the link Macca provided: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/players-will-look-at-jonathan-trott-and-think-he-did-a-runner-20140317-hvjis.html?skin=text-only

To me it certainly sounds like more than being out of form - the way he was trying to avoid his teammates, the severe anxiety about even going to the ground and the comment that the GP would, in normal circumstances, have signed him off for three weeks leave from his job all point to more than being out of form.

No interest in the 20/20 hit and giggle then ?

Not surprising.

watched nz vs SA last night.

steyn did the damage and nz followed finchs example at the death and didnt finish off properly.

Australia 57 off 55.

Meg Lanning 126 off 65.

Can bat.

And now the Dutch are doing it again!

Meg bats like a bloke and I don't mean any disrespect to her.

She has all the shots and is a pleasure to watch.

The Southern stars have shown the guys the way, into their 3rd final in a row with a hard fought semi win over the WI women by 8 runs.

Seems no one else is interested but I'll post nevertheless.

The girls have smashed the Poms to make it 3 titles in a row.

Perry and Lanning dominated.

I liked the format, and was glad to hear that it will be retained for the next T20.

In other news, the top associate team will get a chance to play four first-class matches - two at home and two away - versus the bottom Test team, beginning 2018.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

has everybody kept up with the latest BRIBE allegations?

T20,its a game thats gonna kill test cricket.