the future of our forwards

the fork

http://news.realfooty.com.au/sport/brad-mi...80603-2l9f.html

(can someone do the link thingy?)

Interesting article providing the forward possibilities for the remainder of the year and beyond.

A minor worry that it took a while for Mahoney to realize the depth of trouble we are in...

Miller to be a focus and possibly in the future we see a forward line something like: Newton, P. Johnston, Maric and Garland!

Push Miller deep and play Dunn and Bate in the dual CHF role, with Sylvia rotating through and have one of Davey and Wona play high and one play deep.

We should make a decision with guys like Garland who have played both forward and back - we've seen what's happened to Miller by switching him between two roles. Let him settle and grow as a back.

Bit of a different role for Miller (could even switch him and Bate and Dunn for some variation) but it'd be better than moving a defender forward. We've got nothing to lose, it'd be worth seeing how some of these guys go deep forward.

Push Miller deep and play Dunn and Bate in the dual CHF role, with Sylvia rotating through and have one of Davey and Wona play high and one play deep.

We should make a decision with guys like Garland who have played both forward and back - we've seen what's happened to Miller by switching him between two roles. Let him settle and grow as a back.

Bit of a different role for Miller (could even switch him and Bate and Dunn for some variation) but it'd be better than moving a defender forward. We've got nothing to lose, it'd be worth seeing how some of these guys go deep forward.

Agree with Dunn as CHF/HFF and Garland to stay as an attacking backman.

Dunn isn't quick enough to be a tagger but he leads well and can mark. Fatten him up and make him a forward, really don't understand why this hasn't been tried.

Because there wasn't room in the fwd line with Neita and Robbo? Great forward planning...

FWD LINE: Bate, Miller, Wonaeamirri, Dunn, Holland, and Green. Other options: Newton (hopefully takes Holland's spot shortly), Maric, Valenti, and Yze (FORM permitting, last week's 3 goals was not good form).

Sylvia has got to play up the park for his own development.

Davey is past development into a wingman, he is a wingman. And is required up the ground.

I don't mind the idea of Miller deep.

There's a reason we were so desperate to play Neita and Robbo close in to goal... They're the only ones in the side that have prove they're up to it...

Miller: Was tried in the first half of last year out of the pocket, and was found wanting. I think it's worth another try, as he's found a little bit of confidence in his kicking... but in the long-term, I don't think we've found the next B. Fevola. He could fill the gap there, but then so could Jamar or PJ. I just can't see him kicking 4 on any kind of regular basis, and I CERTAINLY don't ever see him bagging the odd 6-8 goal game, as Neita did from time to time.

Bate: You just couldn't do it could you? He'd go very well. He doesn't have any leap, but excels at getting rid of his opponent on the run. Cramping him up in the square probably will cost you dash and his booming kick. When he plays the way he does on the HF line, you'd be a fool to move him anywhere else. Whoever plays deep will be receiving the ball off this guy.

Jamar: Is SO hard to kick to because he's so slow and runs under the ball... No thought to making it easier for his crumbers either. One of the most one dimensional footballers I've ever seen.

Dunn: Has shown little, but what he has shown is a bit of dash, and a willingness to run off the ball. I watched him out of the square at Sandy and he's a long way from comfortable there. Worth a try, but I don't have high hopes in 2008 for him playing in that position.

Garland: Week by week he deeply ensconces himself in the best 22. Is a very good medium-large kick, and would do well on the forward line but only if he can be spared. He and Warnock are providing some of the only joy down back for us. Closing speed is a sight to behold...

Holland: I love the man, but why? Just too old, but will probably go there when completely fit again... I'm not against a few games, but not for the next 12 weeks, week in week out...

PJ: Like him on the forward line. You can see him just figuring out how he has a body. He runs like the wind for a guy his size, but only in straight lines. Decent kick too. Could be a long-term resting option, if only he had somewhere to rest from. I reckon we'll be seeing a lot of him this season out of the square...

Meesen: ???? Your guess is as good as mine.

Newton: Just about the most naturally gifted in the red and blue as a CHF FF option. Can lead, fly, take a clean ball in hands or on chest, follow up, and has an ok kick without being devastatingly good. I would think he's the logical choice in a crisis, but not having to work his way back into the team could be a bad thing. Just playing by default may be harmful in the long run. He has to be taught how to be hungry, and this is not the way.

Sylvia: This guy is #1 for the job for me, He struggled on the weekend with TERRIBLE delivery, but I like the idea of him being able to just have a guy one out in the square. WHen it hits the deck he would grind his opponent into the dirt with some of the most aesthetically pleasing tackles around... And hop up and drill it from sixty. He's a BORN forward... who has played his best footy in the backline. The tantalising glimpse we got at Subi last year shows why he should be given whole games there...

White: They've ben pushing him there for 5 years, and it's never taken. Probably never will. It's all well and good in theory, but he's lost there. Shame though... has a good kick.

Yze: Small, but can play tallish... but like Holland... why?

Green: Having a fantastic season as the loose man in defence showing courage, setting us up. We have looked our most damaging when he has the pill...

So for me it's Sylvia and PJ out of the square, with Newton in third. They make the most sense, everything being equal. But I'm not naive enough to think Newton will be given a go just because he's big. Pj will play ruck a lot and Bailey will be loathe to cramp Sylvia in one place ALL the time. Likes his changes does DB...

So after those three I would say Holland would be handy when we need him, Maybe Jamar and maybe Green, depending on what the list looks like, and whether either is needed in the ruck or defence/midfield...

Basically, it looks grim. There's a bit of dead-wood to go just yet, believe you me...

There's a reason we were so desperate to play Neita and Robbo close in to goal... They're the only ones in the side that have prove they're up to it...

Miller: Was tried in the first half of last year out of the pocket, and was found wanting. I think it's worth another try, as he's found a little bit of confidence in his kicking... but in the long-term, I don't think we've found the next B. Fevola. He could fill the gap there, but then so could Jamar or PJ. I just can't see him kicking 4 on any kind of regular basis, and I CERTAINLY don't ever see him bagging the odd 6-8 goal game, as Neita did from time to time.

Bate: You just couldn't do it could you? He'd go very well. He doesn't have any leap, but excels at getting rid of his opponent on the run. Cramping him up in the square probably will cost you dash and his booming kick. When he plays the way he does on the HF line, you'd be a fool to move him anywhere else. Whoever plays deep will be receiving the ball off this guy.

Jamar: Is SO hard to kick to because he's so slow and runs under the ball... No thought to making it easier for his crumbers either. One of the most one dimensional footballers I've ever seen.

Dunn: Has shown little, but what he has shown is a bit of dash, and a willingness to run off the ball. I watched him out of the square at Sandy and he's a long way from comfortable there. Worth a try, but I don't have high hopes in 2008 for him playing in that position.

Garland: Week by week he deeply ensconces himself in the best 22. Is a very good medium-large kick, and would do well on the forward line but only if he can be spared. He and Warnock are providing some of the only joy down back for us. Closing speed is a sight to behold...

Holland: I love the man, but why? Just too old, but will probably go there when completely fit again... I'm not against a few games, but not for the next 12 weeks, week in week out...

PJ: Like him on the forward line. You can see him just figuring out how he has a body. He runs like the wind for a guy his size, but only in straight lines. Decent kick too. Could be a long-term resting option, if only he had somewhere to rest from. I reckon we'll be seeing a lot of him this season out of the square...

Meesen: ???? Your guess is as good as mine.

Newton: Just about the most naturally gifted in the red and blue as a CHF FF option. Can lead, fly, take a clean ball in hands or on chest, follow up, and has an ok kick without being devastatingly good. I would think he's the logical choice in a crisis, but not having to work his way back into the team could be a bad thing. Just playing by default may be harmful in the long run. He has to be taught how to be hungry, and this is not the way.

Sylvia: This guy is #1 for the job for me, He struggled on the weekend with TERRIBLE delivery, but I like the idea of him being able to just have a guy one out in the square. WHen it hits the deck he would grind his opponent into the dirt with some of the most aesthetically pleasing tackles around... And hop up and drill it from sixty. He's a BORN forward... who has played his best footy in the backline. The tantalising glimpse we got at Subi last year shows why he should be given whole games there...

White: They've ben pushing him there for 5 years, and it's never taken. Probably never will. It's all well and good in theory, but he's lost there. Shame though... has a good kick.

Yze: Small, but can play tallish... but like Holland... why?

Green: Having a fantastic season as the loose man in defence showing courage, setting us up. We have looked our most damaging when he has the pill...

So for me it's Sylvia and PJ out of the square, with Newton in third. They make the most sense, everything being equal. But I'm not naive enough to think Newton will be given a go just because he's big. Pj will play ruck a lot and Bailey will be loathe to cramp Sylvia in one place ALL the time. Likes his changes does DB...

So after those three I would say Holland would be handy when we need him, Maybe Jamar and maybe Green, depending on what the list looks like, and whether either is needed in the ruck or defence/midfield...

Basically, it looks grim. There's a bit of dead-wood to go just yet, believe you me...

This is a pretty good assessment that I agree with the most part except for the Newton bit. Can he lead? He appears to me to be slow, difficult to kick to and spectates when the ball hits the ground. He strikes me as the old fashioned mark and kick type without any other strings. Great when he is the right position to take a grab but rarely gets himself into that possie either due to lack of running ability, nous or interest. Or perhaps a combination of these. Would love to see him do well and prove me an idiot. Just reporting my observations so far.

As for the back line, Garland and Warnock are doing a reasonable job in difficult circumstances. Garland has a real future. He is the most athletic key backman I have seen at the club. I think he will develop. As he settles I hope he will develop some rebound and attack to his game.

i really dont want to see any of the KPD used forward. rivers should stay where he belongs. he is our best defender, and we need him there. garland is developing promisingly, lets let him settle before we attempt any switch. warnock and carol couldnt play forward imo, they are genuine punch defenders. carol can mark but has worse disposal than miller.

i like the sylvia option, like green up forward, but stronger one on one. he is a player who will need a bit of space however. he is not a crumber, which means if he plays out of the square he needs to be 'the tall' with wonna or a god forbid yze next to him. let him run and mark, he follows his own ball well, but has no idea about reading it off another pack.

i can see miller playing closer to goal. i think he has struggled up forward when neitz and robbo have been the main targets. playing out of the square on his own may suit miller, and allow him to snare goals from distances he can kick.

the way i would go is start with miller deep and sylvia just out of the square. wonna floating close to goal also. run bate and dunn on the 50. i would love to see how this works; we may be too short, but i think putting jamar or PJ up there is futile...they aren't forwards, and dont see to know where to go naturally. if the original option fails PJ to go to the square and either miller or sylvia out, depending on who was getting it.

but i think this week will see one of jamar or pj line up at FF.