Players yet 'claim' a position....

DeeMfc

I know DB has said that he would like to teach players to play in multiple positions, but there seems to be a lot of discussion about players who haven't cemented thier positions.

There can be many and varied reasons why these players haven't done so yet, e.g injury, suspension :rolleyes:, new to the list etc.

This topic is not designed to 'bag' any players, but to identify which positions people think they might be best in and why.

Possibly alternative positions that they 'may' be suited to but have never or rarely played in.

Successful teams seem to be the ones that have most positions 'settled' and the MFC and DB are at the stage of identifying just that.

Thoughts on any of the players our list are welcome.

Anyway here goes......

Matty Bate - HFF with a bit of time pinch hitting through the middle.

Lynden Dunn - As above.

Brad Green - Play him forward and get him used to kicking goals again. maybe played back at times when we need it.

Paul Johnson - Roaming tall across half back as he did very succesfully against the crows last year in one of our rare wins.

I don't really like him forward as he is not the best kick in the world (far from worst either) but he is strong at contests and never gives up.

Stef Martin - Given a little time he could become one of the 'great' Full Backs of our time.

Brad Miller - If he can get the toughness back into his game like DB assures us, basically play him on anyone who 'needs' to start hearing footsteps :rolleyes:

Colin Sylvia - Midfield.

Paul Wheatley - Definately on the wing. His penetrating kicks in the forward line will be invaluable and with Morton on the other wing our delivery into the forward line starts looking very dangerous.

Adem Yze - Forward Pocket rotating with Sylvia or Dunn if they need a rest.

Cheers

DeeMfc

i like where your headed, good posting...however, i think we should use green as a polished midfielder receiving the hard ball work from slyvia/jones/brock/moloney/valenti and running and kicking the ball to leading forwards...like i hope buckley will play...now with TJ gone, this is what i think green needs to do.

Ive always like Green to roam the paddock of the F - flank..he can come inside when needed or work in space. He has the gumption to get into the corridor when its warranted. Give him space.

Somehwat begrudgingly id stick Ooz in a pocket also. .he can be dangerous on his day..and reality is..just as we dont know when that is..neither does the oppsition!! lol..Id like to rotate some youth through a pocket also

Bate - CHF.

Dunn - HFF, occasionally pinch hitting in the middle.

Green - Natural forward, should be a permanent FP/HFF. Should only be playing in the middle when circumstances dictate (i.e. if we're light-on for midfielders due to injuries, or to mix up the midfield a bit during a game if something isnt working).

PJ - As a best case scenario he could stay on the list as a fringe player, taking the oppositions third tall on a "horses for courses" basis. Probably wont make it at all.

Miller - Might make it as a third tall down back, occasionally pinch-hitting in the forwardline, sort of like a better version of Dutchy. Too one-dimensional to be a permanent CHF, but I disagree with the popular view that he isnt up to playing at AFL level (if Miller's the absolute worst player in your side then you've got a pretty good list)

Sylvia - If his body is up to it, play him in the midfield. Otherwise he'll be a handy HFF

Wheatley - Rotating HBF/wingman

Yze - If he gets a game this year I'd rather it be in the forward pocket. Not fussed, should be gone next year anyway.

Guest MFC4Life

Thanks for the post DeeMfc, getting more excited every hour about the weekend!

Of the players you mentioned I would leave to see Green and Yze play in the forward line. I understand people have reservations about maybe a lack of forward pressure that these two would provide but they are two highly skilled players that can read the play well and combined could chip in with 6-8 goals per game. Our forward line is so one-dimensional and predictable with simply a leading FF.

After watching the Sandy game on Saturday Paul Wheatley needs to play. He is very much a confidence player. He had maybe half a dozen poor disposals yesterday but he found the pill easily. I thought there were 2 or 3 games last year where he was fantastic.

I agree on Martin, even though we are getting ahead of ourselves. There seems to be a bit of a stylish 'x-factor' about him. Would love to see him thrown into it.

Matty Bate agree, more leaning to an unorthodox leading CHF flanker role.

Paul Johnson needs to be loose in defence.

Brad Miller's just got to work out what he wants to be.

Col will be alright. He's just got to sit up straight and fly right.

I don't want Dunn pinch hitting. I want him in the middle of the ground, in the thick of the action. I saw a plenty yeasterday at Sandy. A tough, mobile 192cm mildfielder who has pace and can kick it long and can mark.

All I want to see on Saturday is bodies flying, pressure footy and gut-busting running. Effort and commitment that will make me leave the game satisfied that we did everything to win even if we don't.