What other clubs can offer

Hards

Carroll is a good ordinary player who won't take us to the top

Most teams are made up of "good ordinary" players, with a smattering of stars, not the other way around.

Melbourne need to increase its star power, no doubt, but we will always have, as all teams do, the "good ordinary" players.

It is a balance and its about getting the right balance of these differing skill levels, and getting the best out of the players that you have, that gets you to the top.

This we have not achieved. Hopefully that wheel is turning, finally!!!

But you are never going to have a team of "stars", so we need to get the absolute best from from those that aren't.

And if we don't then we look elsewhere, but the good ordinary player is always going to be a part of any side.

we would be [censored] mental to trade col sylvia - he will be a gun and is very young too. he went higher in the draft than brock remember.

I agree

I salivate at the thought of what Sylvia will become with the guidance of Dean Bailey and co.

looked on pies forum, pretty much dont want to offer any of there youngsters for him

strange reaction i think

quote from filth site

Collingwood won't trade for him.

The two possibilities are Richmond and Melbourne with Carlton as an outsider.

Melbourne, rightly or wrongly, believe that they still have the list to take them into the top 4. They have a top 5 pick and some reasonable young talent. Judd also followed them as a kid and the Dees would be desperate to get him across for marketing/membership. Demons will probably over pay and it could blow up in their faces.

Richmond already have a very young list and may feel that they don't have to take another young kid with their #2 and trade it away. They also have the number 1 pick in the pre-season draft and could get him for absolutely free if trade talks break down.

Carlton's hope lies in how desperate West Coast are for a full forward to stand next to Lynch. They could propose the most attractive deal for the Eagles with Fev, Pick #3 and fillers. I seriously doubt Judd would want to go play for Carlton and wait another 5 years to play finals however.

and from blues forum (i was bored)

I agree...4, 21 and Cameron Bruce is a good result for the Eagles who are hell bent on picking up a young gun midfielder. If the draft goes like this...

Carlton - Kruezer

Richmond - Cotchin

Carlton - Morton

This leaves the Eagles with their choice of Masten or Palmer...a choice I know they'd be happy with. They get Cameron Bruce out of the deal who is still a quality player and pick 21 is nothing to sneeze at. Dees get Judd and imagine Dean Bailey looking at that midfield now of Jones, Judd, Johnstone, Junior MacDonald, Sylvia, McLean. Impressive. Melbourne games might become attractive to watch with Judd and Davey turning it on.

Judd also ends up at a club that is not viewed upon as one of the big 4 and has a real chance at success (finals) and the club he supported as a kid. Melbourne - if prepared to do the above trade (Cam Bruce the key)...would trump a Collingwood / Carlton offer IMO. And it's a win/win for both clubs.

Most teams are made up of "good ordinary" players, with a smattering of stars, not the other way around.

Melbourne need to increase its star power, no doubt, but we will always have, as all teams do, the "good ordinary" players.

It is a balance and its about getting the right balance of these differing skill levels, and getting the best out of the players that you have, that gets you to the top.

This we have not achieved. Hopefully that wheel is turning, finally!!!

But you are never going to have a team of "stars", so we need to get the absolute best from from those that aren't.

And if we don't then we look elsewhere, but the good ordinary player is always going to be a part of any side.

I know that & I agree with you, I've also been on the "inside". However, the "group of players" 25 & above aren't going to lead us to a flag. yes we could keep say 2 of them but as a group their detrimental to improving the culture required.

In 2 or 3 seasons time players like TJ, Bruce, Green, will be worth nothing & will be trying for contract extensions, etc.

Carroll is less gifted than these 3 but is playing better more usefull footy for us, but by 2010 his star will have passed.

This years recruiting season & next are crucial for our future so I want to see us trade hard now while we have some valued currency for hungry clubs with their body clocks ticking.

Couldn't have summed it up better myself dee-luded. After looking at the list of 25 and overs its really quite alarming. We should cash in on at least a couple of them if possible while they're worth something. My order of preference to trade would be:

Bruce

TJ

Green

Robbo (but only if we get a proven goal-kicker in the exchange)

Carroll

Whelan

Couldn't have summed it up better myself dee-luded. After looking at the list of 25 and overs its really quite alarming. We should cash in on at least a couple of them if possible while they're worth something. My order of preference to trade would be:

Bruce

TJ

Green

Robbo (but only if we get a proven goal-kicker in the exchange)

Carroll

Whelan

Well @ least we can see it, obviously I agree with your list, but I have Robbo up higher because he looks to me like his legs are gone. I reckon we'd be lucky to get 1 season maybe 1.5 good years from him max.

I don't like being like a mercinary selling our boys but it's cut throat out there, & we're not as well off as the current power clubs.

If we trade older players for high draft picks, in 2 years time your passing the bulldogs of this world as their slipping back whilst we should have a high class & balanced list, a la the hawks this year.

Fair enough with the Robbo call. You've probably seen a lot more of him playing, I live in Perth and don't get Foxtel so Dee games were a bit few and far between for me this year. I just based my call on Robbo on his goals tally, which, although less than impressive, was still enough to top the goalkicking at the club. I just fear that we get rid of Robbo and our scores really dry up, especially as Neita will be one year older and probably even more injury prone.

We'd need a proven goalkicker to replace him, not the bulldogs 5th pick (if the robbo to WB trade happens).

Whatever happens, I'm really looking forward to seeing how Bailey maneuvers in the trade and draft period. Us fans will finally get an idea of where he sees where the Dees list is really at. Also very keen to see his motivational and disciplanary influence on the player group next year.