The Soccer thread

45HG

Tim Cahill you champion!!! Have you ever seen a better goal? What a goal. Can we sign him up for next year?

Edited by Earl Hood
  • Like 2

Tim Cahill you beauty! Number 2! Is there a better player in the air than him in world football? I doubt it.

Tim Cahill you beauty! Number 2! Is there a better player in the air than him in world football? I doubt it.

He's brilliant

Best player to done the green and gold?

Charlie Yankos might disagree with that.

But all the same,TV has made us love Timmy for the better.His goals for the national team have been terrific and last night certainly was worth watching.

Atti Abonyi perhaps?

I'd put him at or close to the top ... big occasion player as well.

ESPN FC Press Pass featured the 2 goals on their show tonight ... 1st goal & 2nd goal

Disappointing we couldn't score at least ... still, it's not a disaster.

We're now going to have to defeat China to make the semi's (where we'll probably have to face Japan) Ironically, Japan would probably not be very happy with their potential match-up in the semi final

Lots of possession tonight but we didn't create enough real chances.

Guess what, looks like we've avoided Japan altogether

Yeah, Japan going out the way they did was the shock of the tournament ... their coach may be removed as a consequence.

Golden opportunity for the Aussies - I reckon we'll go on and win it now.

In other news ... from the 'Mirror' ...

Chelsea 2-4 Bradford: Blues crash out of FA Cup as Bantams run riot at Stamford Bridge ... highlights

Manchester City 0-2 Middlesbrough match report: FA Cup shock as Premier League champions dumped out ... highlights

Spurs also crashed out whilst Liverpool could only draw.

Didnt see either of those guys play unfortunately.

Just marvel at Cahill on the nod.

Charlie Yankos used too knock off work early{4.00}and head to the ground to play an international.

He reckoned all players should have a full time job.

He also kicked the living daylights out of anybody getting into our defensive box.

In the dictionary under the word patriotism is a picture of the Charlie Yankos and his left boot.

Luongo!!! 1 0 Australia

Very lucky to be leading though... S Korea have had a few very near misses and most of the play. Perfect timing though, going into half time with the lead.

Luongo!!! 1 0 Australia

A top strike too ... it might open up at the back now (or in the last half of the 2nd half)

Very lucky to be leading though... S Korea have had a few very near misses and most of the play. Perfect timing though, going into half time with the lead.

Yes as I said to the wife at half time that sums up soccer, totally outplayed but one lucky strike and we are in front. In AFL we would be 6 goals down easy.

• 2 months later...

Got Foxtel connected the other week and gotta say I'm loving the amount of football, and all in HD. It's like being at the game.

But it seems Fox only has rights to the EPL, La Liga and UEFA on ESPN. What about Serie A, the Bundesliga and the South American leagues?

I miss the old days when SBS on a Sunday was basically soccer all day, and you pretty much saw every single goal that was kicked around the world during the week.

Edit: Turns out Fox does have those other leagues (German, French, Italian, Argentinian and Brazillian) - the beIN sports channel apparently.

Re-Edit: Turns out I don't get the beIN channel, even though I have the sports package! WTF?!?!

Got Foxtel connected the other week and gotta say I'm loving the amount of football, and all in HD. It's like being at the game.

But it seems Fox only has rights to the EPL, La Liga and UEFA on ESPN. What about Serie A, the Bundesliga and the South American leagues?

I miss the old days when SBS on a Sunday was basically soccer all day, and you pretty much saw every single goal that was kicked around the world during the week.

Edit: Turns out Fox does have those other leagues (German, French, Italian, Argentinian and Brazillian) - the beIN sports channel apparently.

Re-Edit: Turns out I don't get the beIN channel, even though I have the sports package! WTF?!?!

If you want to watch something different in soccer, one of your cousins just started in the Under 9's.

Champions League semi finals draw is out and Bayern v Barca and Juve v Real sets up the delicious prospect of an all-Spanish final.

May 5: Juve v Real @ Turin

May 6: Barca v Bayern @ Barca

May 12: Barca v Bayern @ Munich

May 13: Juve v Real @ Madrid

Saturday June 6: Final

• Like 1