Maynard unscathed

56 minutes ago, DistrACTION Jackson said:

That was a disgraceful and cowardly hit.

Which one? The ML one?

Agreed. I posted that out of context. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, leave it to deever said:

I think as other posters have said that it was likely a coaches call.

After the Freo belting, a response was required and I reckon any distraction from winning was ruled out. 

I don't buy that reasoning. If the club as a whole told the players to not ruffle up maynard then we have issues. I reckon we'd be the only club going that would let Maynard walk away from that. It bugs me. I'm not talking get suspended but cop a fine. All preseason and season long we've talked the talk, just shut up and walk the walk.

• Like 4
  • Thinking 1
  • Sad 1
  • Vomit 1

3 minutes ago, Roost it far said:

I don't buy that reasoning. If the club as a whole told the players to not ruffle up maynard then we have issues. I reckon we'd be the only club going that would let Maynard walk away from that. It bugs me. I'm not talking get suspended but cop a fine. All preseason and season long we've talked the talk, just shut up and walk the walk. That was a game we had to win, absolutely had to, they were playing without multiple best 23 and we wilted like daisies on a hot day. It goes alongside the Semi Final loss to Carlton last year as 2 of this teams most insipid performances. Jeez, I'm really fired up aren't I!! 

Edited by Roost it far

If the coach’s directive was to leave the emotion out of it and not ruffle Maynard’s feathers, then it is a disgrace and shows just how soft of a club we are. In fact, we are a laughing stock again. That should have been the motivation. 

go back and looked how incensed Petracca was on the night it happened. Clarry, Viney and Gawn too. Petracca and Clarry shaking his hand and back slapping him. What the actual f… is that. Seriously. Weak as 

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

16 hours ago, Redleg said:

Richardson said the opposite.

Said the Coaches wanted a bit of a statement and Leaders said no.

Max our Captain is not an aggressive type and Tracc isn’t either, actually shaking Maynard’s hand and patting his head before the game. Viney may have not got the chance and has a shoulder injury, so maybe wise not to further hurt that. For the rest, they didn’t bother.

I am sure Gus and his family would have been impressed, not!

The difference in attitude between the sides is apparent, when you look at how they gang tackled Langdon for a lighthearted comment and then the quotes of Maynard that he was surprised he didn’t get any treatment.

I don’t think anyone even tackled Maynard during the game. He certainly bumped a few of ours.

It appears our game attitude has taken a big hit.

He said this to you? 

• Shocked 1

39 minutes ago, Kick_It_To_Pickett said:

If the coach’s directive was to leave the emotion out of it and not ruffle Maynard’s feathers, then it is a disgrace and shows just how soft of a club we are. In fact, we are a laughing stock again. That should have been the motivation. 

go back and looked how incensed Petracca was on the night it happened. Clarry, Viney and Gawn too. Petracca and Clarry shaking his hand and back slapping him. What the actual f… is that. Seriously. Weak as 

Were you around 10 years ago? THAT was a laughing stock. This isn’t.

Ugh promised myself I wouldn’t engage in this sort of conversation. Forget I even said anything. 

Edited by WalkingCivilWar
Momentary lapse of reason
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Kick_It_To_Pickett said:

Petracca and Clarry shaking his hand and back slapping him. What the actual f… is that. Seriously. Weak as 

Adventurous to call a bloke that came back on the field with 4 broken ribs and a ruptured spleen “weak as” I would’ve thought. 

I think people need to acknowledge that it’s pretty clear the players don’t view Maynard the same way demonlanders view him. They’re all professionals, they’ve played together and against each other since they were kids - Maynard’s brother played with us for a few years, they’ll know each other pretty well. If they held a grudge they would’ve let him know so it’s pretty clear in my view that there aren’t any hard feelings. 

• Like 2
  • Clap 1

1 hour ago, Roost it far said:

I don't buy that reasoning. If the club as a whole told the players to not ruffle up maynard then we have issues. I reckon we'd be the only club going that would let Maynard walk away from that. It bugs me. I'm not talking get suspended but cop a fine. All preseason and season long we've talked the talk, just shut up and walk the walk.

It bugs me too that Maynard wasn't man handled. I was expecting and hoping for some justice via hard tackles and strong bumps. ( Since that Afls never handed any out

And yea not the suspension causing ones. All legal and all within the bounds of safety ie no deliberate tackles ( or smothers) that are bound to cause injury.

I thought the club could harness that player and  club anger and use it to motivate.

But the club was under a lot of pressure after the Freo loss so maybe it was worried about a distraction and another big blow out. Who really knows.

And also as WCW mentioned maybe Gus didn't want them too. Maybe he just wants to forget the whole ordeal and not let it define or shape his life anymore. 

Can't blame him. And perhaps the players got around him in this sense.

I think I'm hoping it was one or two( or both) of these things that prevented Maynard being singled out. Otherwise I think it makes the players look apathetic to the loss Gus has experienced.

Now the game has come and gone and I've pondered over it all, I'm sure the players wouldn't be.

But it was irritating to see Maynard tackle some players still pretty hard like the Howes one. 

Even without the Gus incident, Maynard is a dirty player. It's why other clubs go after him. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

He said this to you? 

https://omny.fm/shows/3aw-is-football/alan-richardson-lifts-lid-on-whether-theyll-target#description

He said it on radio, listening back (about 7:40 onwards in the clip) the coaches asked the leadership group if they thought it was going to be an issue that players would go too hard at Maynard and not focus on the game, leaders said it wasn’t. He said the focus in the week before the game was internal, not on the pies or Maynard. 

• Thanks 2

21 hours ago, Redleg said:

Richardson said the opposite.

Said the Coaches wanted a bit of a statement and Leaders said no.

Max our Captain is not an aggressive type and Tracc isn’t either, actually shaking Maynard’s hand and patting his head before the game. Viney may have not got the chance and has a shoulder injury, so maybe wise not to further hurt that. For the rest, they didn’t bother.

I am sure Gus and his family would have been impressed, not!

The difference in attitude between the sides is apparent, when you look at how they gang tackled Langdon for a lighthearted comment and then the quotes of Maynard that he was surprised he didn’t get any treatment.

I don’t think anyone even tackled Maynard during the game. He certainly bumped a few of ours.

It appears our game attitude has taken a big hit.

It was embarrassing to watch. The [censored] I took on my footy wattsapp group was all spot on. You don't need to be an aggressive type to know that Maynard needed to be pushed and bumped and put to ground at every opportunity. 

• Clap 2

3 hours ago, leave it to deever said:

It bugs me too that Maynard wasn't man handled. I was expecting and hoping for some justice via hard tackles and strong bumps. ( Since that Afls never handed any out

And yea not the suspension causing ones. All legal and all within the bounds of safety ie no deliberate tackles ( or smothers) that are bound to cause injury.

I thought the club could harness that player and  club anger and use it to motivate.

But the club was under a lot of pressure after the Freo loss so maybe it was worried about a distraction and another big blow out. Who really knows.

And also as WCW mentioned maybe Gus didn't want them too. Maybe he just wants to forget the whole ordeal and not let it define or shape his life anymore. 

Can't blame him. And perhaps the players got around him in this sense.

I think I'm hoping it was one or two( or both) of these things that prevented Maynard being singled out. Otherwise I think it makes the players look apathetic to the loss Gus has experienced.

Now the game has come and gone and I've pondered over it all, I'm sure the players wouldn't be.

But it was irritating to see Maynard tackle some players still pretty hard like the Howes one. 

Even without the Gus incident, Maynard is a dirty player. It's why other clubs go after him. 

It's not upto Gus, this was about the current team doing what had to be done. There's no grey here. we simply had to make a statement and we didn't. John Northey would of been disgusted.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1
  • Sad 1

27 minutes ago, Roost it far said:

It's not upto Gus, this was about the current team doing what had to be done. There's no grey here. we simply had to make a statement and we didn't. John Northey would of been disgusted.

Really? If Gus didn’t want anyone retaliating, his request should’ve been ignored? 

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

Really? If Gus didn’t want anyone retaliating, his request should’ve been ignored? 

Gus coaching now ?? 

This isnt just about Gus...   it's about the jumper....about what as a team you're prepared to take.  Apparently we indentify as marshmallows...fuschias....happy campers.....all smiles and backslaps....woohoo.

Strangely another club....and coincidentally the same one , took offence ( rightly so ) to "all duck and no dinner" and let it's uttererer know all a out it.

The only thing more sickening than Gus getting maliciously flattened..   was anyone being nicey nicey to the filth before tge game, in full view of many thousands of Melbourne Supporters. 

What you do down the pub  at the cafe is up to whomever.    If youre wearing that jumper believe me there's an expectation to honour it and your team mates.

No one's respecting our jumper .

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Clap 1

Except this IS about Gus. This is 100% about Gus. Were it not for that incident we wouldn’t be having this conversation, nor would this thread have been created.

@beelzebub

Edited by WalkingCivilWar
I forgot to quote the relevant post
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

Except this IS about Gus. This is 100% about Gus. Were it not for that incident we wouldn’t be having this conversation, nor would this thread have been created.

It could be about ANYONE wearing that jumper....

• Like 1

Just now, beelzebub said:

It could be about ANYONE wearing that jumper....

But it’s NOT about anyone. It’s about Gus. Your assertions may or may not apply if this was about anyone else depending on the person. But you don’t know what Gus wanted. Nor do I, but for several reasons I’m inclined to think he and his family may not have wanted the focus on retaliation. 

• Like 1

And ffs… if you want to call us fuchsias, at the very least please spell it correctly.

Yes, it does matter. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

Were you around 10 years ago? THAT was a laughing stock. This isn’t.

Ugh promised myself I wouldn’t engage in this sort of conversation. Forget I even said anything. 

Sorry WCW but speaking to ex Dees players this week, all said the same thing,in the last month and particulary last weekend it was a very pronounced theme! We are rapidly becoming a laughing stock with our lack of response!  Im talking 6 Dees from various era's... One is an ex Leader!!

Edited by picket fence
  • Clap 1
  • Facepalm 1
  • Sad 1

24 minutes ago, picket fence said:

Sorry WCW but speaking to ex Dees players this week, all said the same thing,in the last month and particulary last weekend it was a very pronounced theme! We are rapidly becoming a laughing stock with our lack of response!  Im talking 6 Dees from various era's... Happy to share names privately if you like! 

Not necessary, thanks all the same.

You say we’re rapidly becoming a laughing stock and you may be right. I’m saying we’re not the laughing stock right now. I don’t reckon people are laughing at us, I think they’re shocked. Sure, we may well become the laughing stock but we’re not there now. 

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1

Posted (edited)

I may be way off base here and I certainly can't speak for the teams of the glamour years in the fifties and early sixties but hasn't Melbourne always been seen as more of a gentleman's team ( or at least educated private school) . This may just be a perception but perceptions can create some reality.

As a supporter base we have probably been erroneously painted as cheese eating, Pinot quaffing , cigar smoking snow aficionados who drive European cars with small red and blue stickers on them.

Have the players been wrongly( although I'm not sure about lately) presented as Robbie Floweresque and decent chaps rather than thugs who don't have elite skills and athleticism.

This is quite false in my opinion as we've all witnessed our fair share of Strawbbs, Stynes, Grinters, Jacksons and Ditteriches. ( We could easily name a dozen others).

But ai think in the eyes of pies fans we are perceived as soft. The whole Jack Watts saga comes back to mind.

Now as mentioned we are not privy to what Gus or the coaches wanted. But I do believe our lack of response rightly or wrongly has fueled this narrative. We one a flag in 21 so we can't be too soft but maybe we are getting tired and apathetic which gives the same picture somewhat.

I reckon pies fans have gone away thinking we are physically lacking.

We play the filth in the last round so it will be interesting to see what transpires. 

Edited by leave it to deever
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thinking 1

8 hours ago, Roost it far said:

It was embarrassing to watch. The [censored] I took on my footy wattsapp group was all spot on. You don't need to be an aggressive type to know that Maynard needed to be pushed and bumped and put to ground at every opportunity. 

By who??

McVee, Windsor, Billings, Langdon, Laurie, Bowey, Rivers, Fritsch, Petty, these guys couldn’t hurt a fly.

Salem, Petracca, Gawn, Oliver, TMac, Nibbles,Sparrow, honest hard at the ball players with no mongrel

Viney & Kozzie would have a crack but are midgets 

So that leaves May &  a 20yo JVR

Not a lot of physicality there I’m afraid 

Hope you’re feeling ok after your WhatsApp backlash precious 

Edited by Billy
Spelling
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, leave it to deever said:

I may be way off base here and I certainly can't speak for the teams of the glamour years in the fifties and early sixties but hasn't Melbourne always been seen as more of a gentleman's team ( or at least educated private school) . This may just be a perception but perceptions can create some reality.

As a supporter base we have probably been erroneously painted as cheese eating, Pinot quaffing , cigar smoking snow aficionados who drive European cars with small red and blue stickers on them.

Have the players been wrongly( although I'm not sure about lately) presented as Robbie Floweresque and decent chaps rather than thugs who don't have elite skills and athleticism.

This is quite false in my opinion as we've all witnessed our fair share of Strawbbs, Stynes, Grinters, Jacksons and Ditteriches. ( We could easily name a dozen others).

But ai think in the eyes of pies fans we are perceived as soft. The whole Jack Watts saga comes back to mind.

Now as mentioned we are not privy to what Gus or the coaches wanted. But I do believe our lack of response rightly or wrongly has fueled this narrative. We one a flag in 21 so we can't be too soft but maybe we are getting tired and apathetic which gives the same picture somewhat.

I reckon pies fans have gone away thinking we are physically lacking.

We play the filth in the last round so it will be interesting to see what transpires. 

Who gives a flying f*#k what Pies supporters think, but we do need to play with a harder edge & get rid of 29yo old plodders who came from other clubs, l can name 3 of them.

Oh yeah & then there’s Petty, BBB & Shcache 

But what burns the most for most is the way we handled Grundy & Jordon, we’ve turned a premiership list into a pack of also ran has beens

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

Not necessary, thanks all the same.

You say we’re rapidly becoming a laughing stock and you may be right. I’m saying we’re not the laughing stock right now. I don’t reckon people are laughing at us, I think they’re shocked. Sure, we may well become the laughing stock but we’re not there now. 

You're right.... we're not quite at that but on course.

Currently we're  pitiful/lamentable/non-threatening

None of this is in any shape or form.... enjoyable. 

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1