Tomlinson forward?

Petty has played nine games this year.

He really has only impacted one game and that was against Geelong.

His marking prowess in that game was fantastic. He was that connection at chf we desperately need. Alas it has not been seen in other games.

It may not sound like it but I'm a big Petty afficiando. But he's either injured or just not really a fwd. Hard to ascertain if his cats performance was a one off. Nine games is a fair chunk of a season.

If he continues taking a couple of marks and kicking one goal every four games , then I think Goody's hand will be forced to play him down back. But who goes out?

Not Tmac. Not Lever. Not May. And now Tommo has put his hand up saying, I'm a good defender as well.

So, it will be interesting to see where he fits in. I don't want to trade him. Unless it's a great deal. Unlike the others mentioned Petts is much younger. But I'm fairly convinced at this point that he's much much better playing in our backline.

Ive floated the Tommo fwd idea as he's too good for Casey and a big strong player with a big body . And he comes in after a year of being unceremoniously dropped and kills ot.

Tommo is a big player. Something we have been lacking. We used to have Tmac and Hogan but now we have Petty and Roo.

Both aren't big bodies yet. Roo will fill out and I believe will have a big future as a fwd at our club. I love his persistence and pressure acts.

Petty is very athletic but not really a brute. We have agility in Jvr and Fritta but I'd love a big body fwd who defenders would struggle to move out the way.

Maybe it's not Tommo but how do you know without trying. I mean if Goody can continue with Petts for so long with a return of only two goals , I feel like there's not really much to lose. Just saying.

• Like 2
  • Thinking 1

I think everyone forgets that Petty is coming back from perhaps the worst injury a footballer can have. Particularly a tall who needs power in their feet to be able to push into the contest.

Tmac has said himself that post that injury he is no longer able to play forward, because his foot is not strong enough to be able to leverage off to fly for marks.

Petty is not even 12 months post surgery, and he is clearly struggling. IMO he won't get to his best until much later in the season, or possibly not until next year. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

I think everyone forgets that Petty is coming back from perhaps the worst injury a footballer can have. Particularly a tall who needs power in their feet to be able to push into the contest.

Tmac has said himself that post that injury he is no longer able to play forward, because his foot is not strong enough to be able to leverage off to fly for marks.

Petty is not even 12 months post surgery, and he is clearly struggling. IMO he won't get to his best until much later in the season, or possibly not until next year. 

Thanks Jnm.

I would love to see him playing more games like he did against Geelong.

Recovery from injury would certainly account for some low games.

I guess he in an ideal world he should be coming back via the twos where he could be managed better and perhaps have less risk of further injury.

I do feel that his lack of goal scoring and marks inside fifty seem to almost have is a player down but perhaps we have no choice.

That's where this topic comes from though. Given his present form, I don't really feel we have much to lose trialling someone else.

Even May when Lever gets back.

I really want to keep Tmac down back because as we saw yesterday he played very well .

But the same applies to poor Tommo.

I'm not sure if I've seen him play since after he played a blinder last year and was dropped.

The bloke comes in 12 months later and was one of our best. 

I don't want to see him languishing at Casey anymore. I know that's footy but are there any permutations that you could think of to see him playing and our fwd line revamped by someone? 

We now have five very good tall defenders. Acknowledgement of Tmac not changing, is there anything that can be done?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, DubDee said:

Has been tried many times at GWS and again by us

not suited to it at all

played a great game down back

Yep, he's had so much disruption. Would love to see him stay down back for a few consecutive games just to let him have a crack at breaking into the side in a position to which he's used to.

Steven May seems to be a good kick at goal (kidding)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

We won't win the flag by sending players forward who don't belong there. We'll win by our forwards and the mids doing their jobs. 

Billy Frampton's performance as a forward could've cost Collingwood them last year. 

I don't see why Tomo can't stay in the team when Lever returns.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, leave it to deever said:

Petty is struggling there. Tmac is dominating down back.

Does anyone think it's worth a shot maybe when Lever is back or Petty moved back?

Tommo is a strong mark in a pack. What we could use perhaps.

He has the ability to at least play better than Petty has been lately - additional strength in the backline must be awaited, first; it will be up to the coach to give him a trot or two across upcoming games for short periods of orientation first and then, some intensive coaching on the game plan to enact such a revival. He does miss a few things resulting in advantages to opposition players; I'd think that these could be addressed in step-by-step applications when it mattered.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, leave it to deever said:

I guess ideally we find another gun mid and play Tracca fwd all day and most of our problems are solved.

Yeah, watching the West Coast game, we're throwing Koz into the middle more which is great but it does Rob us a little of his goal kicking up forward. If we can get the mids humming a little more, then I think Tracc would make a great forward being down there more.

It seems a bit of a wobbly balancing act at the moment.

If we can do that AND play St Kilda every week, all our problems are solved!

• Haha 3

Petty will remain forward in the 1s until he's out of the team injured or we're no longer in realistic contention. At which point we'll see TF, MJ and WV...hopefully not an outcome we see this year. 

If Tommo plays well the next two weeks it will be interesting to see what we do with him when Lever returns. I am not sure we can have all of May, TMac, Lever and Tommo in the backline.

Tommo could potentially play the role Howe filled until last week, but he and TMac are both slow and having four talls back there means a small or medium (who is much faster) would need to move out. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, leave it to deever said:

I guess ideally we find another gun mid and play Tracca fwd all day and most of our problems are solved.

No it’s no t that easy. We need big players marking etc. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, seventyfour said:

We won't win the flag by sending players forward who don't belong there. We'll win by our forwards and the mids doing their jobs. 

Billy Frampton's performance as a forward could've cost Collingwood them last year. 

I don't see why Tomo can't stay in the team when Lever returns.

Can’t have  both 74 make up your mind please. 

maybe left-field, but I would have him in our wing rotation. I feel we lack competition in the air between the arcs without Petty in form supporting Gawn. (Also feel that Windsor is an absolute jet but doesn't have the full nous of winging yet and we get caught out occasionally. that's not a sleight, the leagues best wingers are veterans for a reason.) 

Tomlinson was recruited for that role, he might not have the same tank now he's trained as a defender but I reckon he'd add a whole different dimension to the wing role that we don't have currently. 

• Like 1
  • Thinking 2

1 hour ago, Dee*ceiving said:

he and TMac are both slow

I feel after watching the Saints game that Tmac seems to have gained a few metres in pace of late.

He took some great intercept marks and I know he's stated he can't play up fwd anymore....on his recent form it would be exciting to see him there again.

Alas that's not going to happen which means it's him, Maysie and Lever in our backline.

That means no Tommo and Petty still fwd.

Could we trial Tommo as a sub fwd like we used to with Smith or is this too risky?

Is there any possibility of pinch switching May and Petty fwd and back on occasion? Or is that too far left field.

Perhaps Petty will finally find his feet up fwd so to speak and this is all a moot discussion.

I do think Petts does well in restricting Oppo players from at least marking and his limited ruck work has been good.

I think I just feel for Tommo who when he is called upon does incredibly well especially after the length of time he has been absent from the team.

As others have pointed out he probably isn't quick enough to be a fwd. Bit props to him for his great effort v the Saints.

• Clap 1

21 minutes ago, Viney Vidi Vici said:

maybe left-field, but I would have him in our wing rotation. I feel we lack competition in the air between the arcs without Petty in form supporting Gawn. (Also feel that Windsor is an absolute jet but doesn't have the full nous of winging yet and we get caught out occasionally. that's not a sleight, the leagues best wingers are veterans for a reason.) 

Tomlinson was recruited for that role, he might not have the same tank now he's trained as a defender but I reckon he'd add a whole different dimension to the wing role that we don't have currently. 

It’s clearly not Windsors fault as he has helped address our pace issue but to turn the clock back and believe Tommo will suddenly after 5 years in defence solve a marking problem on a wing. He is a one pace player good mark good on 1:1 and mostly at minding key position players and spoiling their marking. 

On a wing you need pace and flexibility and skills in moving. The rucks and key forwards are there to mark. Not a solid defender with no real toe and turning skills. 

Lingers Duke and Hunter are not the reason for our connection problems generally. 

• Like 1

It seems we need a tall marking forward. We moved TMac forward once and that was a success. Adam Tomlinson deserves to be in the starting 22.

Why not give him a go as a forward?

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1

5 hours ago, Rayna said:

It seems we need a tall marking forward. We moved TMac forward once and that was a success. Adam Tomlinson deserves to be in the starting 22.

Why not give him a go as a forward?

My thoughts exactly.

Even if it's for half a game. Worth a shot surely. And it's not like Petty can't go into the backline for that half.

Could be a win..win.

• Thinking 1

8 hours ago, 58er said:

No it’s no t that easy. We need big players marking etc. 

So we just pluck a gun mid out of thin air to allow Tracc to play forward, or pluck a big strong marking KPF out of the even thinner air?   Ah ... it is such a simple game. 🤫

On 26/05/2024 at 18:28, leave it to deever said:

Tmac was moving like his old self again today. I would love to see him fwd again so that works for me.

But I feel Tommo could not do any worse than Petty. Much so. A case of  Not losing anything trying.

It’s a lot easy to take a mark in defence than up fwd. 

• Clap 1

9 hours ago, Doug Reemer said:

It’s a lot easy to take a mark in defence than up fwd. 

Yea, I think your right on this.

• Like 1