Kayo is 4K in 2024

5 hours ago, Diamond_Jim said:

Not sure on Friday night

Foxtel have exclusivity for Saturday games for Victorian viewers for Rounds 1-15.

Other than the occasional re-set to 1080 from 4K (re-installing the app fixes this) I've found the Kayo connection to be very reliable.

They are fast losing sports that interest the bulk of viewers during the summer break. They really need either EPL or better still the Champions League to deliver a year round service worth paying for. The alternative is to offer a 12 month sub for the price of 10 months.

The other change which will come unfortunately is limiting the two screens to one physical location. Just a matter of time

PS Forgot to mention that Kayo's sister streaming product... Binge ... is about to lose its biggest content drawcard in HBO. To deflect from this loss they are introducing some sports onto Binge.

BINGE is entering its sports era with an expanded content offering to include live and on-demand premium sport, direct from Kayo Sports, on the platform, as well as additional live news channels, at no additional cost to subscribers.

Starting with a bumper finals weekend with the back-to-back AFLW Grand Final and WBBL Grand Final on 30 November and 1 December, sport will appear on BINGE. Following that will be Men’s Big Bash League, Super Netball, and, come winter, NRL and AFL footy on Thursdays, Fridays and Sundays (simulcast games) during the regular season with no ad breaks during play.

Additional sports and shows coming to BINGE direct from Kayo Sports include World Surfing League, Women’s Golf (USLPGA, Ladies’ European Tour, AIG Women’s Open), all Kayo Minis of the F1®, and Fox Sports-produced magazine shows including AFL 360, NRL 360, Sunday Night with Matty Johns, Bounce, and The Back Page, among others.

Who knows if Binge will survive.

It always depends on the many cocktails of the connection methods.

Chromecast with ADSL broadband I find a bit clunky but after switching to Amazon Fire Stick this has been the best Kayo streaming yet personally. 

As an aside, where is HBO heading to?

22 minutes ago, layzie said:

It always depends on the many cocktails of the connection methods.

Chromecast with ADSL broadband I find a bit clunky but after switching to Amazon Fire Stick this has been the best Kayo streaming yet personally. 

As an aside, where is HBO heading to?

Its funny how it all works as well. I was watching the A-League on Paramount+ direct from LG App on Friday and was encountering significant connection issues - buffering issues and then lost connection and couldnt even get back into the game after a reset, switched to chromecast/google tv and most of the problems disappeared instantly.

Never really had any other buffering issues, but Paramount+ are a bit flaky with live streaming.

Re: HBO they announced recently they'll be launching HBO Max in Australia in the first half of 2025.  Much like FoxSports, the price of Binge continues to rise even though they're losing content.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Grr-owl said:

All depends on screen res plus how much of your field of vision is taken up by the screen. If it's HD and you sit far enough away it won't matter. If its huge and you are close to it, you would.

4K is gonna matter when your screen is big and it is taking up a lot of your field of vision.

Probably explains it, screen is only 55", about to increase to either 65" or 75" so will see if I notice the difference.

Best Kayo in 4k quality? Thru Telsta tv - which is sadly being bricked on October 31 and being turned into a glorified hockey puck

I’ve  tried root jail breaking it but I can’t get it to work

Apple 4k is average for 4k for Kayo - fine for everything else

And trying to stream Kayo thru chrome browser is truly dreadful 

7 hours ago, whatwhat say what said:

Best Kayo in 4k quality? Thru Telsta tv - which is sadly being bricked on October 31 and being turned into a glorified hockey puck

I’ve  tried root jail breaking it but I can’t get it to work

Apple 4k is average for 4k for Kayo - fine for everything else

And trying to stream Kayo thru chrome browser is truly dreadful 

Native android tv app seems pretty good. Perhaps try a chromecast if you dont have android/google tv?

15 hours ago, roy11 said:

Its funny how it all works as well. I was watching the A-League on Paramount+ direct from LG App on Friday and was encountering significant connection issues - buffering issues and then lost connection and couldnt even get back into the game after a reset, switched to chromecast/google tv and most of the problems disappeared instantly.

Never really had any other buffering issues, but Paramount+ are a bit flaky with live streaming.

Re: HBO they announced recently they'll be launching HBO Max in Australia in the first half of 2025.  Much like FoxSports, the price of Binge continues to rise even though they're losing content.

Yeah it's really funny and unfortunately a lot of trial and error and I wouldn't be surprised if my exact situation with chromecast worked perfectly for someone else. For whatever reason when I use it with Kayo I get the buffering despite it never happening with Optus, Stan or anything else.

Gee wiz, the cost of living crunch is really making us choose. If I had Foxtel, HBO would be one of the last things keeping me there. 

10 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Probably explains it, screen is only 55", about to increase to either 65" or 75" so will see if I notice the difference.

TV Size to Distance Calculator and Science - RTINGS.com

So i am just on the border for 4K worth it, but if its a tight game I will get up from the couch and walk to the back of the room and pace aha

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, roy11 said:

TV Size to Distance Calculator and Science - RTINGS.com

So i am just on the border for 4K worth it, but if its a tight game I will get up from the couch and walk to the back of the room and pace aha

These days 4K 75" can be had for $1400 or so at Costco.... Big enough for most.