Who will be in our side for the 2022 first round?

Dees2014

8 hours ago, Dees2014 said:

I like it! A better and younger side than the premiership combo. Interesting idea have Jackson/Gawn resting at CHF, but let’s see where we are come March/April when the season begins. Exciting times…

After all your fluffing around about form selection merit and now a more youthful team  you are really only trying to get HUNTY and TOMMO included for HIBBO and TMAC.

Trying to justify that by moving SALEM from defence ( prob 3rd best in GF side) to centre. (Or is that Panama Papers maybe). Salo is like Bowey fast and great disposal and links up well.from defence.

It's not a better team yours or Panama Papers. 
with Tommo in as another tall that makes the backline too slow and tall.

Hibbo ( or Hunt) are good size for medium/small  types to mind Hibbo can play a bit taller in fact so can if fit Joel Smith. Rivers spot is not up for grabs he has a good record snd is strong courageous and is a great team man with good hand and foot disposal.

Forward  line without Tmac ( no his form after injury was not great but still better than Weids.) Different types of players Tmac has to have a strong defender on him and brings the ball to ground after a marking contest ( if he doesn't mark) for our smalls Kossie Spargs and ANB. and Weid is lucky to get his hands on the ball so our forward line lacks competitiveness. 

This also enables Fritta to get the 4 th defender. Jacko is agile and so is Gawny to rest in the forward  pocket or roam at Will on the forward line. Our 7 and 9 goal bursts were when the opposition was worried about Maxy on the ball or Jacko, Tmac BBB as well as Fritta which tested them. 
It's all about team balance with our 3 smalls and Trac Clarry Sparrow and Harmsey plus Viney getting the hard ball out to our runners a fair portion of the time.

There are the occasions we may need to go taller in defence Tmac can do that and Petty can go forward also to change things up. 
All bases are covered in other words. 
Tommo and Hunty will play in 2022 no doubt as I expect Hibbo could be  playing his last season.

But if things aren't broken don't fix them yet plenty of time for that as the season gets underway if needed.

On 1/22/2022 at 2:30 PM, WERRIDEE said:

B: HIBBERD, MAY, LEVER

HB: SALEM, PETTY, BOWEY

C: LANGDON, PETRACCA, BRAYSHAW

HF: NEAL-BULLEN, MCDONALD, PICKETT

F: FRITSCH, B.BROWN, SPARGO

FOLL: GAWN, OLIVER, VINEY

IC: RIVERS, HARMES, SPARROW, JACKSON

SUB: DUNSTAN

EMERG: JORDON, HUNT, TOMLINSON

Out Hibberd in Hunt the only Change

13 hours ago, Dees2014 said:

Here here Sydney Demon. This is a meritocracy at any point in time, and  and the players picked at any one time should be based on the best available which I’m sure it will be.

I agree with your comments re McDonald - he is one most at risk of being dropped. I suspect the Weid would be a much better medium term prospect, but as always it will depend on current form, as well as development potential of the team. 

The way the club is currently run, l have no doubt this meritocracy will continue as will the success of the team. 

Not having a go at you Dees2014 but you did make a comment earlier that the meritocracy didn't apply in selections for the 2021 Grand Final. I'm not sure which player(s) you were referring to but I think they did pick the team on its merits even if I didn't entirely agree with every selection. Anyway, for 2022 I'm condident it will be a meritocracy. I'm sure  we will put a great team out for Round 1.

Interesting you've been following the team for more than 60 years and yet have stated you feel as positive about the future of this current team as any previous team. You must have enjoyed following the teams of the late '50s and due to the lack of drafts favouring unsuccessful clubs, recruiting zones, advantages of the top clubs in being able to offer incentives to attract players etc. I would have thought there was much more chance of ongoing Melbourne success back then. It's great you're so enamoured of the current team. And I'm envious of those who enjoyed our previous success like your good self. The first games I remember watching were in the late '60s so I had to wait a long time for any success whatsoever. 

• Like 1

On 1/22/2022 at 3:12 PM, WalkingCivilWar said:

Does this mean no premiership team has ever played all together again in round 1 of the following season, or they’ve never played all together again, period?

Just for fun I looked at the 1980 and 1981 Tigers sides . That 81 point thrashing of the Pies is simiiar to Dees effeort in 2021.

There were 2 absentees from the 1980 team that played in Round 1, 1981.  Bruce Monteath and Stephen Mount. Replaced by Paul Sarah and Bruce Tempany.

Paul Sarah joined Tiges in 1980 for 11 games from the Cats but was dropped or injured in prelim so missed GF team. (maybe similiar to Hunt for us )

and Tempany similair story. 16 games and played all finals except GF.

Both back in for Round 1, 1981.

Monteath retired or left Tiges after GF so 1 spot became available from 1981 start.

Stephen Mount lost his spot, but got back in in Round 3 but never cemented a spot and retired 1982, after Round 15, his only game for the year in which he got 2 kicks. Went interstate for more opportunities.

• Like 1

Assuming no injuries I think the team will be:

B:         Bowey             May              Lever

HB:      Salem              Petty            Rivers

C:         Brayshaw       Viney             Langdon

HF:       Neal-Bullen    McDonald    Harmes

F:          Pickett            Brown           Fritsch

R:          Gawn              Oliver            Petracca

Int:         Spargo           Sparrow        Jackson       Hunt

Emg:     Hibberd           Tomlinson       Jordon        Dunstan

5 hours ago, Sydney_Demon said:

Not having a go at you Dees2014 but you did make a comment earlier that the meritocracy didn't apply in selections for the 2021 Grand Final. I'm not sure which player(s) you were referring to but I think they did pick the team on its merits even if I didn't entirely agree with every selection. Anyway, for 2022 I'm condident it will be a meritocracy. I'm sure  we will put a great team out for Round 1.

Interesting you've been following the team for more than 60 years and yet have stated you feel as positive about the future of this current team as any previous team. You must have enjoyed following the teams of the late '50s and due to the lack of drafts favouring unsuccessful clubs, recruiting zones, advantages of the top clubs in being able to offer incentives to attract players etc. I would have thought there was much more chance of ongoing Melbourne success back then. It's great you're so enamoured of the current team. And I'm envious of those who enjoyed our previous success like your good self. The first games I remember watching were in the late '60s so I had to wait a long time for any success whatsoever. 

Thanks for your note Sydney Demon. In the 50s l was of course a young boy and we just accepted the Demons would win almost every week. l do vaguely remember going to the 58, 59 and 60 grand finals with my demon fanatic father sitting in the Greysmith Stand. I was also at the 64 grannie again with my father and elder brother (since moved to Sydney and defected to the Swans - the turncoat!). My abiding image of the 64 grand final, where we sat just next to the old Mezzanine Bar in the Members stand, was after Crompton kicked the winning goal l looked along our row to see Murray Weideman chain smoking and shaking like a leaf!! I dug my brother in the ribs and we had a good laugh…

l also remember going to the game after Norm Smith was sacked (l think about round 9 in 1965) where we were sitting on top of the ladder undefeated with a huge percentage and Richmond thrashed us in the pouring rain , and that was unfortunately the start of decades of losing more than we won. Thank God for Simon Goodwin and his elite coaching setup, the current team, and first class administration. As l have said l think a new golden era beckons…..

Since you asked, l probably should clarify my previous remark about being more confident about this current team than ever before,  as meaning since 1964. I was 12 in 1964, and prior to that l certainly supported the Dees (as did the rest of my family), but l was simply too young to analyse what it all meant over and above my father’s “propaganda” - not that I’m complaining. 

Edited by Dees2014
  • Like 1

Hey guys! Reigning premiers eh? 😜 I still can’t believe it even though I have watched the replay at least 30 times.

I think Harry Petty did a wonderful job in the absence of Tomlinson last year but don’t forget, Harry was the understudy. IMHO, at this stage of his career, Harry is not as good a footballer as Tomlinson. What IS great is that there will be some very difficult team selection meetings this year with the heat on everyone to fight for their positions. 

Looking forward to another flag this year and there are no good reasons (maybe multiple injuries?) why we shouldn’t win it again! Bring it on! 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ProperDee said:

Hey guys! Reigning premiers eh? 😜 I still can’t believe it even though I have watched the replay at least 30 times.

I think Harry Petty did a wonderful job in the absence of Tomlinson last year but don’t forget, Harry was the understudy. IMHO, at this stage of his career, Harry is not as good a footballer as Tomlinson. What IS great is that there will be some very difficult team selection meetings this year with the heat on everyone to fight for their positions. 

Looking forward to another flag this year and there are no good reasons (maybe multiple injuries?) why we shouldn’t win it again! Bring it on! 

PD I also tend to share your view that Tommo is a better KP defender and footballer than Harry Petty at this stage.

BUT it'at  least 7 years between their ages snd I don't  think Harry deserves to be dropped on his form in 2021. 

Tommo might be better coming back through Casey so he can get used to playing agsin and gradually hit form in the Magoos !! 

Spots will be hard fought no doubt which is good for the Club. 

• Like 1