It's D-Day already for the Dees

I'm having Sunday afternoon off. Not going to the match or even following the scores.  Having watched losses v Geelong, Hawthorn and Richmond, I need a break from disappointment. (Well, I've been a supporter for 50+ years. You'd think I'd be used to it by now!)

I put money on the drug cheats. I'm predicting Daniher back in form ...

I've been winning my bets this year, Geelong/Hawthorn/Richmond. Money for old rope. I'd rather lose my money though.

Go dees ...

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, bingers said:

I'm having Sunday afternoon off. Not going to the match or even following the scores.  Having watched losses v Geelong, Hawthorn and Richmond, I need a break from disappointment. (Well, I've been a supporter for 50+ years. You'd think I'd be used to it by now!)

I put money on the drug cheats. I'm predicting Daniher back in form ...

I've been winning my bets this year, Geelong/Hawthorn/Richmond. Money for old rope. I'd rather lose my money though.

Go dees ...

Mate get your money on Carlton We will be their first win for the season $7.60 !!!!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

20 hours ago, binman said:

Surprisingly balanced article and i found myself agreeing with most of his points.in particular the lack of dare and risk taking (and as he suggests maybe some of the fumbling and skill errors), which as Carey points out is often the result of the fear of the reaction from the coach.

Classic example on Sat was Stretch in the last quarter on the Swan St side.. 5 goals down and instead of going long to a free player up field (a difficult kick given he was about 50 metres away) he elected to hold it up and 

The notion of there being some pretty serious internal communication issues (goodwin to players, Goodwin to other coaches) seems to be gathering momentum. Which is a real concern.

Of course it might be a beat up but my feeling is there is something in it.

I really hope i'm wrong and if not really hope Goodwin puts his money where his mouth is in terms of being committed to learning and personal development (see several of early interviews) and sort things out quick smart. 

This was the main thing I thought the Carey article had right.  Particulaly against Richmond at times, we looked like a deer in the headlights.  Honestly I think people searching for some gross internal conflict and disharmony within the club are either grasping at straws or trying to stir up rubbish that isn't really there.

My assessment is that we have lost our mojo at present and that's one of the main factors.  That we are not playing with the best system/structure is also a contributor in a bad feedback loop with that lack of confidence as well as the lack if risk taking and poor/unconfident skill execution.  Playing amature psychologist, I think there are pleanty of reasons why we are presently rattled, going back to the second quarter and our disapointing finish Vs Geelong, the team hasn't played with any great confidence and system since.  Even our win agaist North we looked poor in parts with respect to the extent of wasted opertunities when we had the accendancy for most of the last 3 quarters.  Need something to break us out of this rut.

The team is much better than what they are presently playing and I don't think it's as bad as Neeld era by a long shot.  But the team is certainly yet to establish the sort of beleif and temperament of a consistently high performing finals bound team.

Comming back from 2 and 4 would be tough, but not undoable by any means.  I'd much rather be finishing the year in good form than having the slump we had comming home last season.  In this respects I'm hopeful that the lack of rushing back T Mac and Viney is a good sign that we are treating the season as a marthon not a sprint and hopefully we will be powering away when others are dropping off in the back half of the season.

Edited by Rodney (Balls) Grinter
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, beelzebub said:

Why can i hear David Byrne.....?

Depends what song is in your head Beelzy.

I pray its not this. If it is, its time to take footy less seriously. ;)

Edited by Colin B. Flaubert

4 minutes ago, Colin B. Flaubert said:

Depends what song is in your head Beelzy.

I pray its not this. If it is, its time to take footy less seriously. ;)

Was thinking more "road to nowhere" tttt lol

18 hours ago, praha said:

I don't really care what happens. I'm taking a break this weekend and not going. I may also skip the St Kilda game. 

Praha that might be the best off field move right now. For sanity's sake!

Enjoy

23 hours ago, binman said:

Surprisingly balanced article and i found myself agreeing with most of his points.in particular the lack of dare and risk taking (and as he suggests maybe some of the fumbling and skill errors), which as Carey points out is often the result of the fear of the reaction from the coach.

Classic example on Sat was Stretch in the last quarter on the Swan St side.. 5 goals down and instead of going long to a free player up field (a difficult kick given he was about 50 metres away) he elected to hold it up and 

The notion of there being some pretty serious internal communication issues (goodwin to players, Goodwin to other coaches) seems to be gathering momentum. Which is a real concern.

Of course it might be a beat up but my feeling is there is something in it.

I really hope i'm wrong and if not really hope Goodwin puts his money where his mouth is in terms of being committed to learning and personal development (see several of early interviews) and sort things out quick smart. 

Not sure how the FD arrived at Stretch to start with.  Very poor selection IMO and ended up coming back to bite us.

Weids did well in comparison to his previous entrees to AFL and can hold his head up but again, incorrect selection for the Tiges match on such a big stage and occasion where goals where always going to be at a premium (for us) under the heat of the Premiers.

I wouldn't be heaping too much scorn on Stretch as he should never have been running around in the first place.

Edited by Rusty Nails

On 4/27/2018 at 2:21 AM, Rodney (Balls) Grinter said:

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/sport/afl/it-s-d-day-already-for-the-dees-20180426-p4zbud.html

Huge moan at bringing up the pre-season camp rubbish again and I think we still have ample opportunity to make finals even should we loose to Essendon, but asides from that, I actually think Carey has got alot right in this article.

688fe3c37d19a41238411bb832f48498ddf0071c

Most pictured are from the dark-sky days of our recent club infamy.

And most are nearing the end.

Some have value on the market place.

Carey goes on to say,,,, 

..... " the club has also endured the cancelled training camp saga".

"Who knows the true impact that has had on the playing group, but right now, they are certainly working through some mental demons."

"From the outside, it seems they’re quite mentally fragile".

"I don’t believe that this group carries the burden or the culture of those dark years a decade ago".

"The problems at Melbourne are now more about confidence, and a lingering fear that seems to hover over the players".

"It appears many are scared to make mistakes for fear of losing their spot in the team, or fear of what the coaches might say".

This is close to the fear I've been referring to,,, about this club's 'modern-day-culture', of fearing the "here we go again" saga.

It's my long-held view that we in the stands have all suffered a silent scarring, at the hands of repeated beatings over the past 50Yrs.

I believe when this fear raises its ugly head during games;  this gets carried over the air out over the field & into the ears of our on-field comrades.

it unnerves many causing them to be jittery, fidgety and less composed.

Hell, it makes us all feel less composed, because that's what anxiety does.

And i agree R(b)G, Carey is onto something...  and it does get in. into their ears and then their minds.

All AFL players have to learn to cope with mental demons, anxieties, fears; but when these are supported in the negative by the heaving masses over the fence, its much more difficult for young players, most players,,, to overcome these negatives.

• Like 1